View Full Version : To all Pairs teams. At what ages did you start doing your throws and lifts?

FSWer
01-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Say, to all Pairs Skaters here,as young teams, at what ages did you all start to do your throws and lifts?

skaternum
01-10-2005, 04:51 AM
Oh, you said "young teams." Don't we count? 8-)

Mrs Redboots
01-10-2005, 11:02 AM
Although we aren't officially a pairs team, we are beginning to learn lifts now, as you need them for ice dance. In fact, we're actually considering doing the new NISA couples test (http://www.iceskating.org.uk/figure/dyncat.cfm?catid=14156), although you mustn't have lifts in that. Except that we can't do a side-by-side spin yet. Sigh! Coach has promised to work with me on my spin tomorrow. Even deeper sigh, as I do loathe spinning.....

samba
01-10-2005, 12:26 PM
My son was 14 when he started under arm lifts and throws, I have seen children much younger doing overhead lifts but am not sure what the consequences on a developing young back would be. I myself started at 47 and my partner was 50 I guess when you get to that age its your own responsibility but before you start no matter what age, you both need to be stable on your feet and feel confident with each other.

jenlyon60
01-10-2005, 12:49 PM
USFS has restrictions of which types (groups) of lifts can be executed at Juvenile and Intermediate. Don't have rulebook handy for details, but believe that Juvenile Pairs are restricted to Group 1 and Group 2 lifts. Intermediate pairs allowed a bit more choice, but don't think they're permitted to do overheads in competition.

These restrictions appear to be designed to give time for pairs skaters to acquire the control and strength that comes from experience, to minimize the chance of severe injury caused by inexperienced pairs attempting lifts beyond their capabilities.

samba
01-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Thankfully I believe that there are now similar restrictions over here in competition.