View Full Version : packing your skates

jestemkkool
01-09-2005, 09:44 PM
I have to check my skates with my luggage when I fly out to SynchroEast. Does anyone know of any special procedure that I should follow in packing them.
Also, I have to use the hard guards on them, correct?

fadedstardust
01-09-2005, 09:58 PM
I've never put the hard guards on them. And I never will, unless the airline offers me 500 bucks to replace my old pair of blades when they rot from being in the hard guards too long.

love2sk8
01-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Ive never put hard guards on my skates... I'd consider it if they paid me lol 8-) ...but no,theres no special procedure..I always (reluctantly) pack my skates like i normally do in my skating bag and then put my skating bag in my suitcase.

Blosmbubbs
01-10-2005, 02:37 AM
I put the soakers on them and pack them in a suitcase or duffel in between clothing. Sometimes I put them in bootbags, when they were new. Then pray that the airline doesn't lose them!

jenlyon60
01-10-2005, 04:39 AM
I put my soakers on mine for my recent trip. And stuffed socks and/or tights down the boots (might as well make use of the opening). Packed them with other clothes around them, but visible in case the luggage was opened for security reasons.

Packed them as part of my main baggage and everything arrived okay, both ways.

Thin-Ice
01-10-2005, 05:10 AM
May I ask why you have to check your skates? Is it because you don't want to carry them? Or is it because of security?

I have flown at least a dozen times with my skates since all the new security measures went into effect.. including to Adult Nationals and Pacific Coasts. I have never checked my skates. (I would be just too paranoid!)

:idea: I have found if you call the TSA supervisor at least one day, and sometimes a week, before you plan to fly and talk to him/her, there is no problem. I just tell them I'm a competitive skater (I don't mention what level) and while I know the airlines don't intentionally lose luggage, it does happen and I cannot afford to lose my skates -- because the whole point of the trip is to compete.

I have had one of three things happen:

1) The TSA supervisor said "Why are you bothering me with this? Of course, you can carry-on your skates.. just explain it to the screeners when you come in the airport and be prepared to show them your skates." One time there was no problem, the others I've had to ask the screener to call the TSA supervisor.. who then came down and said "Oh you're the one I talked to on the phone".

2) The TSA supervisor asks me to come about an hour earlier than I would normally (we set a time) and s/he would come to the checkpoint and look at my skates.. and then allow them on.

3) The TSA supervisor had me bring my skates to the checkpoint, then walked me through security, then turned my skates over to a crew member on the flight and I watched as my skates were put on the plane with the crew's equipment.. and they were given to me when I came off the plane.

Of course, in each case, when I call the TSA Supervisor, I get the person's name, and the direct phone number where I can reach the supervisor the day of the flight.

We did have soakers on our skates, then had them in nice terrycloth bags, inside our luggage (sort of like jewelry rolls for fine jewelry), so they could see the skates were something we valued, and packed them at the top of our bags.. so we could easily pull them out in case we had to show them our skates. We also had our costumes, music and paperwork to show we were going to a competition.

While most of these flights have been in the US, when going to AN last year, two friends and I flew through Montreal (cheaper airfare for us than Albany) and the Canadians didn't give it a second thought. We've also had some of our competitive kids go through the same process when going to Europe to compete. There has never been a problem. We've never been told to go back and check them.

Good luck! :D

Mrs Redboots
01-10-2005, 11:07 AM
I think you have the most sensible approach to checking in your skates that I've so far heard of! Pre 11/09/2001, of course, there was very, very seldom a problem. Last time I flew with my skates was almost the first day you could fly post 09/11, as it's called, and we didn't even think of carrying them, but packed them very carefully in the middle of our suitcases, with the hard guards on to protect the blades (if the blades and guards are both bone-dry when you put one on the other, no way will they rot; it's only leaving hard guards on wet blades that is damaging). And we surrounded them with clothes, and stuffed them with underwear, and they were fine.

daisies
01-10-2005, 01:11 PM
While most of these flights have been in the US, when going to AN last year, two friends and I flew through Montreal (cheaper airfare for us than Albany) and the Canadians didn't give it a second thought.

Wow, that's great ... and strange, considering the Canadian TSA specifically lists ice skates as not being allowed in carry-on luggage, as shown in the link below.

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/travel_voyage/list.htm

I will definitely try your methods though!

jestemkkool
01-10-2005, 04:03 PM
I must check my skates with my luggage due to security issues(the security is really tight around here).

samba
01-10-2005, 04:14 PM
I think you have the most sensible approach to checking in your skates that I've so far heard of! Pre 11/09/2001, of course, there was very, very seldom a problem. Last time I flew with my skates was almost the first day you could fly post 09/11, as it's called, and we didn't even think of carrying them, but packed them very carefully in the middle of our suitcases, with the hard guards on to protect the blades (if the blades and guards are both bone-dry when you put one on the other, no way will they rot; it's only leaving hard guards on wet blades that is damaging). And we surrounded them with clothes, and stuffed them with underwear, and they were fine.
Hi Annabel
I bet it was hubbies undies that got stuffed in them!!
Cheers
G

Tessie
01-10-2005, 08:28 PM
I must check my skates with my luggage due to security issues(the security is really tight around here).

We miss you in edge class!

I have taken my to San Francisco (from Boston) - I placed them in my suitcase with the rest of my clothes and checked the bag. I just didn't want to deal with security and was too busy to think to call TSA. I could certainly tell that the bag was subject to a physical inpsection. I left the soakers on.

Mrs Redboots
01-11-2005, 06:13 AM
Hi Annabel
I bet it was hubbies undies that got stuffed in them!!
Cheers
GHe stuffed his in his - I stuffed mine in mine. Mind you, he did want to take a much smaller suitcase - until I pointed out that we were headed to the USA, land of clothes that fit and suit me, and my suitcase was half-empty. Going. Coming back, I used what was left of his bag and mine was stuffed to bursting....