View Full Version : Difficult Weekend!

dbny
01-09-2005, 01:26 PM
My weekend started with teaching classes for two hours in sleet and rain. I went home, but was so busy with skating school paperwork that I never really got dry before having to teach another hour indoors in the late afternoon. When I finally left that rink, while waiting for my Vietnamese take-out, I realized that I had left my bag of stuffed animals (teaching tools) and, even worse, a bag of skates I am selling for other people! Fortunately the skating director found them and brought them home with her, but I didn't know that until three hours later.

Sunday morning I had to be back at the outdoor rink for two more group lessons. My first group was actually harder than my second group, even though the first had already had two lessons and the second group were first timers. One little boy in the first group simply will not pay attention and does not make eye contact. He also does not want to stand up, but prefers to sprawl on the ice. It happens to be a big enough class that I cannot give him the kind of attention he needs, so it was very frustrating. I'm going to ask the skating director for a helper for that class next week.

In my second group, one little girl could not seem to stop bending forward, so I skated her out to the lesson area. I do this all the time and have never had a problem, but this little one stuck a foot out sideways and tripped me. I whacked my knee pretty hard, even through my knee pad, but managed not to squash her as we both did belly flops, with me on top 8O . She was in tears, of course. Fortunately her mom was nearby and later she was able to stand up straight and march with just a touch of her mother's hand.

When my classes were over, I had a half hour semi-private lesson with two sisters, six and seven years old. Neither had ever been on the ice before, and the younger one had suffered a stroke and had a problem with one foot. The mother told me that ice skating was recommended by the doctor as the best therapy for the foot! When I saw this little girl standing in her rental skates, she was significantly supinated, had trouble keeping one foot pointed ahead, and generally had poor coordination and control of her feet. I really did not know if I was going to be able to help her at all. As it turned out, she is physically capable of standing and taking a few steps. She even got up off the ice by herself a few times! Her sister did much better, but preferred to cling to the wall :roll: I really had to support the younger one much of the time, and it was incredibly tiring, but I was thrilled to see that she was able to get her feet straight and march a bit. She was quite pleased with herself too, and very gutsy and determined. I ended up spending forty minutes on ice with them and at least another twenty afterwards helping the younger one try on some skates I had. The fit her well and provide just the support she needs, so her mother bought them. I was happy because they are $100 skates (for $35) that I don't think the mom would have bought new. This is definitely the most difficult coaching challenge that I've ever faced, but I think it is going to be worth the effort.

garyc254
01-10-2005, 03:51 PM
As it turned out, she is physically capable of standing and taking a few steps. She even got up off the ice by herself a few times!... I really had to support the younger one much of the time, and it was incredibly tiring, but I was thrilled to see that she was able to get her feet straight and march a bit. She was quite pleased with herself too, and very gutsy and determined.

Sometimes, these are the things that keep us doing what we do.

Good job, DB!!!! :D

Hydroblade
01-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Sounds like your doing a good job as a coach! I would say getting a kid who had had a stroke doing a few steps is one big (pun) Step! I think it would be good to have her get some private lessons with a lower group if possible so she will feel more comfortable.

Once Again Good Job!

dbny
01-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Sounds like your doing a good job as a coach! I would say getting a kid who had had a stroke doing a few steps is one big (pun) Step! I think it would be good to have her get some private lessons with a lower group if possible so she will feel more comfortable.

The mother asked me if I thought the younger one should have lessons by herself because she thought that the older sister might be getting short changed. I told her that I think they should continue together for a few more weeks, because what the younger lacks in physical ability she makes up for in determination, while the older one has more ability but is much less determined, and they really like being together. I'll have to play it by ear.

Gary & Hydro - thanks for the pat on the back. I was really drained after that weekend, and was relieved to get a good night's sleep last night and
wake up feeling rested.

Isk8NYC
01-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Of course, you're a great coach! You don't need us to tell you that.

I'm glad your "tools" weren't lost.