View Full Version : heel slips in new custom boots, advice needed!

looplover
01-09-2005, 10:11 AM
:frus:

I just picked up my riedell custom boots...I'm an adult skater, working on ISI FS4 (not in US fig skating yet)...anyway, my heel slips what seems like quite a bit in these boots, and I don't know what to do. SO upset...because I'd originally gotten gold star boots through my rink and we sent them back and went with custom, and now this...I can't return custom boots! They seem to fit great everwhere else, but my heel slips enough to be able to slip the boots off my feet with minimal lace-loosening 1/2 way down the boot.

I am at a loss. I'm keeping my old blades but am hesitant to have them put on these new boots...I certainly can't sell them and I can't afford to take the loss on them...

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and is there some kind of extra padding that can be put in to keep one's heel in place? I will call Riedell tomorrow and talk to our rink person who handled the sale again. I told her when I picked them up that my heel was slipping a bit but I thought we hadn't laced the tops tight enough, and I'd had to run to work. Unfortunately that's not the case...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Michigansk8er
01-09-2005, 11:13 AM
I've had the exact same problem with custom boots (or any boot). I know the frustration. The good news, is that you can return a custom boot.........and make them fix it. I've had entirely new boots built, because a custom boot was wrong.

Adding padding can sometimes help............there is a lot someone experienced in fitting boots can do, but if that fails, Reidell should fix these for you. Good luck!

TashaKat
01-09-2005, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't try and pad them out, they're customs so should fit. I've had two pairs of custom Harlicks and they've been perfect, if they hadn't have been I would have been onto Harlick straight away.

Definitely call the person that fitted them for you and don't accept any excuses. You pay for customs so expect them to do what they're advertised to do .... ie FIT. If that doesn't work then contact Riedell direct.

Good luck

x

Melzorina
01-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Of course you can take custom boots back! They were made especially to fit you, and they don't, so it's Riedell's problem not yours! Send them back!

skaternum
01-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Yes, definitely send them back for adjustment. Your fitter should work with you on this. If your fitter won't cooperate, go directly to the manufacturer.

Vicki
01-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Yes, there is something the boot manufacturer can do to correct this problem. I had this happen with my Klingbeils when they were new. Don Klingbeil had me send the boots back for some adjustments. I don't know what he did, but it fixed the problem. Maybe he did add more padding.

techskater
01-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Back to the manufacturer. They can either fix or replace them. You pay WAY too much for customs for them not to be perfect

IceDoctor
01-09-2005, 03:06 PM
I had a horrible experience with heel slippage in Ridells. I had stock boots, but they ended up being semi custom by the time Ridell was done with them. They made the heel the smallest that they could (a 6A) and it was still too big. I ended up with Harlick customs and that solved all my problems. I would ask Ridell if they can add heel huggers for you.

fadedstardust
01-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Oh yeah, DEFINITELY send them back. They're custom, they shouldn't slip.

looplover
01-09-2005, 08:49 PM
These are going back...what an ordeal this has been! I must have really strange feet.

Thanks!

dbny
01-09-2005, 10:49 PM
I had a horrible experience with heel slippage in Ridells. I had stock boots, but they ended up being semi custom by the time Ridell was done with them. They made the heel the smallest that they could (a 6A) and it was still too big.

Riedell heels are very deep, so if your heels do not project back very much, there is going to be too much room in there. My daughter developed huge bumps on her heels from Riedells, which receded after she had been wearing custom Klingbeils for a year or so.

skaternum
01-10-2005, 04:54 AM
I'd like to add that if your heel slips that much in your boots, perhaps your fitter didn't fit you properly or perhaps Reidell's aren't the best choice for you feet. I have a very narrow heel and wide ball of the foot, and Reidell's were a disaster for me. I wound up in Klingbeil's. Don't let your fitter give you any crap.