View Full Version : Question on Selling Used Skates

DressageChica
01-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Hi everyone! Last night I was digging through my closet to look for my (and my mom's) old skates. I found three pairs (all S.P Teris, and one pair was custom made). My mom's custom skates still fit her, so she will be wearing those for our class(that starts in two days, I'm SO excited!!!)! But, the other two pairs were my old skates...hopelessly too small for me! I was wondering, are people willing to buy used skates? They're in beautiful condition. They are probably 7-10 years old, however in those years they were not skated in at all. One pair had hardly been broken in! Is it worth trying to sell them? I just don't know if people are willing to go the used skate route!! Thanks!!!!

sue123
01-04-2005, 07:54 PM
there are people looking for used skates, usually beginners just starting out and don't want to spend hte big money for a new pair if they're not sure the sport is for them. you can ask at your rink if they know any interested customers, sometimes they have a used equipment chain type thing. or, you could always go the E-bay route.

CanAmSk8ter
01-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Everything Sue said. Beginners (and parents of beginners) are often looking to try used good-quality skates to avoid spending large amounts of money on gear for a sport they're not positive they'll stick with. Some rinks have a good system in place for selling used skates. At one rink I skate at, the woman who runs the pro shop will take people's used skates to resell. I don't know if she buys the old skates and sells them for a markup or if she just takes the skates and gives the original owner the money if/when she sells them or what. Sometimes a rink or club will hold a used-equipment swap once or twice a year. It's definitely worth asking your instructor if he/she knows of anything like this at your rink, or maybe he/she will know another skater who might be interested in the skates. If nothing turns up at the rink, you could definitely try Ebay. Just be prepared to get lots of questions about the skates- they're obviously not something people buy lightly!

Casey
01-05-2005, 07:52 PM
Yes!! I bought used skates before biting the bullet and buying expensive new skates...and would have never bought new skates straightaway.

SP-Teri is a fine brand, I almost bought a pair of them for myself. I've seen used SP-Teris go on eBay for a good bit of money.

Put up an advertisement at your rink (or several rinks if there are a few around), and state the size, condition, model (Pro Teri? Super Teri?), and blade model. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling them!

(Now, if only you had men's SP-Teri skates that were my size, and advertised them about two weeks ago... ;) )

icedancer2
01-05-2005, 08:02 PM
People buy used skates for all sorts of reasons. When I was in college I bought a pair of used skates that were perfectly good for $35 because I was broke and just needed some skates to hack around in.

Try ebay. There are often skates for sale on there. I would think it would be easier to sell stock boots than customs.

Casey
01-06-2005, 03:13 AM
Try ebay. There are often skates for sale on there. I would think it would be easier to sell stock boots than customs.
The used Klingbeils I bought were customs...they are harder to sell, and you won't get as much for them probably, but as long as you can advertise an approximate size and don't have mismatched feet or anything, there will be a buyer :)

NickiT
01-06-2005, 07:25 AM
Plenty of skaters, particularly those who are fairly new to the sport, choose to buy used skates rather than new ones and it certainly makes sense. A lot of new skates, like yours, are hardly used and grown out of before being worn out, and this is a cheaper way to start off in the sport. Most clubs run a second-hand skate sale, or you could try selling them on eBay or something similar.

Nicki