View Full Version : Dance Boots

triple twist
01-04-2005, 06:38 PM
what's your favorite dance boot and which one do you use?

TreSk8sAZ
01-04-2005, 07:22 PM
To be completely honest, my favorite dance boots are my worn-down freestyle boots. I wore GAMs for my freestyle boots for two years. When I got new boots, I had my dance blades put on my freestyle boots. They aren't stiff enough for the doubles I'm doing, but they are so comfortable and bend so well that I won't change again until I have to. This may not help if you are getting your first pair of boots, but all of the dancers I know (including some national/international level dancers in the U.S.) feel the same way I do. You just can't get the same crease and bend with new boots, even if they are specifically for dance.

TashaKat
01-04-2005, 11:12 PM
I used to use Wifa Super Goldstar which were nice BUT I was going to get the Harlick customs with the dance back stays and the scallops at the ankle.

CanAmSk8ter
01-05-2005, 08:58 AM
I have Jackson Elite Plus Dance (I think that's the name) and Ultima Dance blades and I really like them.

Mrs Redboots
01-05-2005, 12:35 PM
I wear Gams, which are good all-round boots. But with Team Precision blades - I'll go for those again, I think, or for Coronation Dance as I really don't need more blade.

CanAmSk8ter
01-05-2005, 01:00 PM
I had Coronation Dance for Bronze and Pre-Silver (Hickory, Willow, Ten-Fox and FOurteenstep, Foxtrot, and European) and they were great. I wore them out right around the time I started working seriously on my Silvers, which is about when I had been told I should consider upgrading to the MK Dance anyway. I still wear them to teach, as they're short enough that I don't worry about tripping over the heels but they've got enough of a toepick that I can reliably demonstrate spins and single jumps.

Mrs Redboots
01-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Thanks, CanAmSk8er - you've confirmed what I was pretty sure of, that I don't need to upgrade my blades this time round! Team Precision or Coronation Dance (whichever is cheaper!) will do me fine for the next few years. I'm not quite ready to get new boots and blades yet, though - probably in three or four months' time.

jenlyon60
01-06-2005, 09:37 AM
I have Klingbeil custom boots (3rd pair) and Ultima dance blades.

Used to have MK dance blades but changed to the Ultima about a year ago.

TashaKat
01-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Oh yes, blades! I used MK Dance (the old versions, I believe that they've changed) but if I got into it again I would LOVE to try the Ultimas. I liked the MK Dance blades, they were very comfortable to skate in AND I suddenly didn't struggle as much with 3-turns :) AND I didn't stand on my blade and give myself a skull fracture in the 14-step anymore (not an ideal dance to do in Gold Seals :roll: )

jenlyon60
01-06-2005, 12:51 PM
The Ultima dance blades are flatter than the MK dance blades... Ultimas have an 8-foot radius as I recall and the MK dance has a 7-foot radius (or at least used to). The new model changed the toepick to be less extreme than on the model I have.

Loved my mid to late 80's vintage MK dance blades MUCH more than my 2001-vintage MK dance blades.

But about the only time I really FIND the toepicks on them is on my back cross-rolls and the occasional RFI3 in the Tango, and I'm finally starting to break the bad habits in both of those.

icedancer2
01-06-2005, 01:07 PM
The Ultima dance blades are flatter than the MK dance blades... Ultimas have an 8-foot radius as I recall and the MK dance has a 7-foot radius (or at least used to). The new model changed the toepick to be less extreme than on the model I have.

Is it the Ultima dance blades toepicks that are less extreme, or the MK dance blades? How about the thin-ness of the Ultimas as compared to the MKs?

I am considering dumping my MK Dance (HATE the toe-picks -- there is NOTHING there when you need them (like for synchro) and the rocker is kind of severe...

consdering Dance boots, too.

CanAmSk8ter
01-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Oh yes, blades! I used MK Dance (the old versions, I believe that they've changed) but if I got into it again I would LOVE to try the Ultimas. I liked the MK Dance blades, they were very comfortable to skate in AND I suddenly didn't struggle as much with 3-turns :) AND I didn't stand on my blade and give myself a skull fracture in the 14-step anymore (not an ideal dance to do in Gold Seals :roll: )

Yeah, they did change the MK Dance. That's why I went to the Ultimas, my coach said a lot of people didn't like whatever it was they changed about the MK and he heard they were having some quality-control issues with MK. I can't really compare the Ultimas to the MK, b/c my Mk's were almost three years old and should have been replaced about six months before I finally did it, and the guy I had had sharpen them in a pinch (and only because I knew they were on their last legs anyway) screwed up the rocker. So the Ultimas were a big adjustment, but I really do like them. The only hard part is that like someone else said, I could use a slightly bigger toe pick for synchro. But it's not a big deal.

jenlyon60
01-06-2005, 02:11 PM
MK Dance toepick much less extreme. But like I said, I really haven't noticed the difference in the toe pick that much. Ultima appears to be more of a "standard width" blade than the slim-line MK dance, but again, I really didn't find that to be much of an adjustment issue.

The difference in rocker was the only issue I had... and for me the Ultimas have been much more stable. But then I'm rather chubby.

I had my Klingbeils customized a bit extra for the dance, also. I had them cut about 3/4" lower all the way around the top, with a bit more cut-down in the back. No scallops, but haven't really noticed not having them (I've never had the dance scallops, so can't say if I'd find them beneficial). For me, the Klingbeils were comfortable from day 1, especially once I replaced the slick nylon laces with a cotton blend lace.

Is it the Ultima dance blades toepicks that are less extreme, or the MK dance blades? How about the thin-ness of the Ultimas as compared to the MKs?

I am considering dumping my MK Dance (HATE the toe-picks -- there is NOTHING there when you need them (like for synchro) and the rocker is kind of severe...

consdering Dance boots, too.

Mrs Redboots
01-07-2005, 05:53 AM
Presumably - JenLyon, or Tashakat, or anybody who's seen me/us skate recently - Ultimas would also be rather too much blade for me, no? I've been very happy with my Team Precisions, but they are on their last legs, and when I get new boots later this year (I hope), I'll replace them, too.

luna_skater
01-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Presumably - JenLyon, or Tashakat, or anybody who's seen me/us skate recently - Ultimas would also be rather too much blade for me, no? I've been very happy with my Team Precisions, but they are on their last legs, and when I get new boots later this year (I hope), I'll replace them, too.

Ultima makes a Synchro blade that you might consider as well. I skated in MK Team Precision blades before I switched to Ultima, and I love my Ultimas. They come highly recommended by synchro skaters, and I did all of my dances and skills in them.

jenlyon60
01-08-2005, 02:41 PM

Here is a link to the Ultima Ascend dance blades, which are their original dance blades. These are the ones I have (only in black finish)

http://www.skate-connection.com/figursk8/figblade/fb_ub_asce.htm

This is their new more advanced dance blade

http://www.skate-connection.com/figursk8/figblade/fb_ub_dance.htm

and here is a link to their Synchro blade

http://www.skate-connection.com/figursk8/figblade/fb_ub_sync.htm

Gary just bought these...

Mrs Redboots
01-09-2005, 06:20 AM
Thanks. Anyway, there's a few months yet before I need to decide.... hopefully by the Mountain Cup I'll be in new boots and blades, but if not, it will be "sometime between Bracknell and the British Adults", no doubt.

icedancer2
02-10-2005, 11:05 PM
Hi -- I'm bumping this up because I just got my new dance boots this week!! I got SP Teri Dance (does anyone else have these?) -- my current boots are SP Teri Super Teri which I got 15 years ago and have held up well through the years. The new Teri Super-Teri seemed really stiff to me, and I thought the dance boot seemed softer and so I got fitted for those during Nationals.

So they came this week and they are really beautiful boots!! Had them heat-molded at a local shop (good guy there) and they feel great!!

So now I am still obsessing about Dance Blades. I am currently using the MK Dance, which I am not really thrilled with, although they are okay, I feel like I want to try something else. (Flatter radius? More and bigger picks? I don't know... I like the shortness of the blade -- that is not a problem)

I know the Ultima Dance has been discussed a lot on this board and that people seem to like it. The guy at my shop said that he doesn't like Ultima and doesn't sell them or advocate them in any way. I know that they are noisy adn that the blade is very hard. There have been some problems with the chrome plating, or at least that is what I have heard.

So I am now wondering about the Wilson Super Dance 99. Has anyone on this list tried it? Do you know anyone who has it?

I read something today (on-line, probably not the best place to find good info, but it's what is available) that the regular Pattern 99 has a very low stanchion and so the boot is not as far off the ice as on any other blade which makes it hard to do edges (?). I had never heard that before.

Any experiences or comments would be helpful.

Oh, the guy also said that everyone loves the Parabolic blade -- he thinks it will be the "blade of the future" -- meaning at some point, all blades will be made with this Parabolic profile...

For me, it just adds to the confusion.

Thanks.

TashaKat
02-11-2005, 12:49 AM
I know the Ultima Dance has been discussed a lot on this board and that people seem to like it. The guy at my shop said that he doesn't like Ultima and doesn't sell them or advocate them in any way. I know that they are noisy adn that the blade is very hard. There have been some problems with the chrome plating, or at least that is what I have heard.
Any experiences or comments would be helpful

I don't know about them being noisy and there WERE problems with the chrome plating flaking (it didn't affect the performance) but that's ages ago and as far as I'm aware that was solved a long time ago.

Oh, the guy also said that everyone loves the Parabolic blade -- he thinks it will be the "blade of the future" -- meaning at some point, all blades will be made with this Parabolic profile...

That's all very well but where are these wonderful skate guys who are going to grind them properly? I find it difficult enough to get 'normal' blades done correctly :evil:

Casey
02-11-2005, 02:30 AM
I spoke to my fitter about parabolic blades a couple times - and he's not yet convinced. He is reserving final judgement until he tries a pair himself. There are a couple skaters at the private rink he works at who have them, but there doesn't seem to be any real difference, other than the claims on MK and John Wilson's websites. He said it may be that the skaters who have them are not of sufficient level to feel the difference and use it to their advantage though, so it's hard to say for certain.

I imagine a large part of it is a matter of preference...regardless of which is "better", there will always be some who prefer either side of the argument.

Mrs Redboots
02-11-2005, 03:09 AM
Oh, the guy also said that everyone loves the Parabolic blade -- he thinks it will be the "blade of the future" -- meaning at some point, all blades will be made with this Parabolic profile...Don't know where your guy got his information, but the British squad skaters I know absolutely loathe Parabolic blades, and say No Way.... they've gone back to the MK Dance blades they've used since childhood.

backspin
02-11-2005, 07:42 AM
I have Ultima Ascends. After about 9 months, a big flake of the metal (the actual steel, not the chrome) came out right after a sharpening. I could still skate on it (in fact I tested on it!), and meanwhile they ordered me a new pair. The last time they were sharpened, he pointed out that on the very ends the chrome had started to flake a bit. He said if it continued he'd order me another pair. So I don't know if I just have extremely bad luck, but that makes 2 pairs that seem to still have issues with the metal.

HOWEVER, I look at it like this: I got a free pair of blades after 9 months, so I got almost an extra year out of this before I'll need to buy new ones (maybe more if this chrome on the tail keeps flaking! Come on, chrome! :twisted: )! I love the blades & the maneuverability on the ice. So personally I would still recommend them.

jenlyon60
02-11-2005, 08:35 AM
I've seen that behavior with other pairs of Ultima Ascends within the past year or so (not sure about lately).

I got the black Ultima Ascends (solely because that's what the shop had in stock in my size, at the time I bought them) and haven't had any chipping/flaking problems in the 18 months I've been skating on them.

I have Ultima Ascends. After about 9 months, a big flake of the metal (the actual steel, not the chrome) came out right after a sharpening. I could still skate on it (in fact I tested on it!), and meanwhile they ordered me a new pair. The last time they were sharpened, he pointed out that on the very ends the chrome had started to flake a bit. He said if it continued he'd order me another pair. So I don't know if I just have extremely bad luck, but that makes 2 pairs that seem to still have issues with the metal.

HOWEVER, I look at it like this: I got a free pair of blades after 9 months, so I got almost an extra year out of this before I'll need to buy new ones (maybe more if this chrome on the tail keeps flaking! Come on, chrome! :twisted: )! I love the blades & the maneuverability on the ice. So personally I would still recommend them.

sk8ndancr
02-11-2005, 07:58 PM
I have the Wilson SuperDance 99 blades; am on my 3rd pair in 8 years, and absolutely love them; am not even tempted to try anything else. They are very fast and turns are quick and easy; wouldn't trade them for anything! They have the 8" rocker comparable to the Pattern 99s.

icedancer2
02-11-2005, 08:06 PM
I have the Wilson SuperDance 99 blades; am on my 3rd pair in 8 years, and absolutely love them; am not even tempted to try anything else. They are very fast and turns are quick and easy; wouldn't trade them for anything! They have the 8" rocker comparable to the Pattern 99s.

Thank you!! This is exactly what I was looking for -- someone who had tried the Wilson Super Dance 99!!

I'm glad to hear you like them.

Now I want to know more about you -- what level are you skating on?

Have you tried the MK Dance at all? (Probably not, or you would have said so).

Anyway, thank you!!

coskater64
02-11-2005, 08:37 PM
I just recently got my first pair of dance boots. I purchased a custom Harlick 2 piece construction and w/ a dance backstay and all that stuff. I got the MK dance blades so far they are nice they have a much tighter radius, different from my pattern 99's. So far so good.

sk8ndancr
02-12-2005, 02:16 PM
I switched to the SuperDance 99s about 7 years ago when I was working on Bronze Dance test. They have taken me through the compulsory tests up through Blues, the Junior Free Dance test (standard), and I am now working on Novice moves. (Or I was up until 8 weeks ago, when I got injured off-ice!) I do not foresee ever needing/wanting another type of blade; they have served me well!!!!!! I am 51.

icedancer2
02-12-2005, 06:02 PM
I just recently got my first pair of dance boots. I purchased a custom Harlick 2 piece construction and w/ a dance backstay and all that stuff. I got the MK dance blades so far they are nice they have a much tighter radius, different from my pattern 99's. So far so good.

This "tight radius" is something I have a little trouble with in the MKs -- plus the picks are so little and so smooth -- I had trouble doing synchro in them last year when we did little waltz jumps and toe-thingys where we had to use the picks. But I also just realized that it had as much to do with my foot stability in (especially) my right foot in my old boots from somewhat unstable ankles (from spraining it a few years ago and a few years before that) as the picks themselves...

I switched to the SuperDance 99s about 7 years ago when I was working on Bronze Dance test. They have taken me through the compulsory tests up through Blues, the Junior Free Dance test (standard), and I am now working on Novice moves. (Or I was up until 8 weeks ago, when I got injured off-ice!) I do not foresee ever needing/wanting another type of blade; they have served me well!!!!!! I am 51.

Well, I am almost 51 and not as advanced as you -- compulsories through Blues, no free dances and only Pre-Bronze Moves -- so the Super Dance 99 might be a good blade for me, too.

I keep obsessing about the picks and wondering if they are just a little bigger and maybe not so smooth as the ones on the MKs -- I wish I knew someone who had this blade so I could put my hands on them!! I saw them at Nationals, but didn't think to just plain compare it to the pair of MKs on the same table -- arrgghh!! It would be nice to live near a place where I could see these blades and then decide...

I am leaning towards them, though. Also Parabolic. What the hell? The skaters I've talked to here in Portland really, really, really like them!!

thanks for the input, you guys. I really appreciate it. :)

sk8ndancr
02-13-2005, 06:37 AM
You know, after skating on a dance blade for so long, you might find that if you had the bigger toepick again that you might dislike it! I think MK and Super Dance 99's both have similar picks... I for one was glad to get rid of that big pointy thing! Nothing to trip over anymore!!!! I met Marika Humphries and her partner Vasily from England last year, and they both had parabolics and loved them. They probably would look great on anything they used, tho! Good luck in whatever you decide. Let us know how it works out.

jenlyon60
02-13-2005, 07:54 AM
The original Ultima Ascend had a much lower larger toepick than the MK Dance blades I used for many years.

I really didn't notice the toepick when I changed to the Ascends. (I was working on USFS Silvers/Pre-Golds at the time.)

sk8ndancr
02-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Maybe Ascends would be good for Icedancer2 if she wants a bigger toepick? Do they still make them that way? Are they the thinner blades like MK Dance and Super Dance 99?

jenlyon60
02-13-2005, 02:25 PM
The current Ultima Ascend dance blade is the same as the one I got about 20 months ago. Ultima has a newer "Ultima Dance" blade that I believe has a smaller toepick (from what I saw of the pair my dance coach bought).

The width of the blade isn't as extreme as the slimline on the MK dance blade (in other words, it's a bit wider). I haven't worn regular freestyle blades in years to compare the width of the Ultima Ascend to that of most freestyle blades.

icedancer2
02-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Maybe Ascends would be good for Icedancer2 if she wants a bigger toepick? Do they still make them that way? Are they the thinner blades like MK Dance and Super Dance 99?

You guys are so cute to be discussing my current blade quandry!!

The current Ultima Ascend dance blade is the same as the one I got about 20 months ago. Ultima has a newer "Ultima Dance" blade that I believe has a smaller toepick (from what I saw of the pair my dance coach bought).

The width of the blade isn't as extreme as the slimline on the MK dance blade (in other words, it's a bit wider). I haven't worn regular freestyle blades in years to compare the width of the Ultima Ascend to that of most freestyle blades.

The problem is, I want to see all of the blades and then decide!! Plus they keep changing them, and so you never know what you might be getting...

We're having a dance weekend next weekend here in Portland (y'all come ?) -- I am going to snoop around and see what blades everyone has and then decide!!

I don't want MUCH more of a toe-pick, just a little more (the picks on the MKs are very small and also smooth along the sides so that unless you put your pick in right, you will just slide right off -- it's like the opposite of a K-Pick. I also like the idea of a little less rocker and so both the SuperDance 99 and the Ultimas with their 8' rocker sounds good to me.

The Ultimas are a teeny-weeny bit cheaper, but once you're spending that much money, what's a little more? (Hence the parabolics...).

Sk8ndancr, do you know anyone else that has SuperDance 99 -- oh, Marika Humphries and her partner? They have them?

And, oh, does Wilson still make Dance 99? (Like the Super-Dance 99 but without the slimline?)

Questions, questions.

sk8ndancr
02-13-2005, 04:11 PM
No, Marika has parabolics. I know one dance coach that has the Wilsons; he likes them, too, he has also had MKs previously, and I don't know if he noticed a huge difference. I know one other dancer who has them, (the Wilsons), she liked them a lot, too. My skate fitter had told me that they were a little faster because with an 8' rocker there is a touch more blade on the ice. I had gone straight to them from Coronation Ace, so I noticed a HUGE difference back then...I just loved them right away. Most of the dancers I know have MKs. No, I can't come to Portland, I am on the opposite coast, but thanks for asking!

sk8ndancr
02-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Oh, and no, they don't make the Dance 99's anymore, as far as I know. Those were the thicker blade.

icedancer2
02-13-2005, 04:47 PM
I know one dance coach that has the Wilsons; he likes them, too, he has also had MKs previously, and I don't know if he noticed a huge difference.

Well, could you ask him??? :lol: ;)

I know one other dancer who has them, (the Wilsons), she liked them a lot, too. My skate fitter had told me that they were a little faster because with an 8' rocker there is a touch more blade on the ice. I had gone straight to them from Coronation Ace, so I noticed a HUGE difference back then...I just loved them right away. Most of the dancers I know have MKs. No, I can't come to Portland, I am on the opposite coast, but thanks for asking!

Well, it's good to know that others have tried them as well. I can't seem to find anyone else around here that has even tried this blade -- and it is just like me to try something other than what everyone else is using... --

But then again, I think I am "ultra-blade-sensitive". Boots can be pretty much anything, but the BLADE is what seems important to me...

jenlyon60
02-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Depending on how long ago Wilson stopped making the Dance 99, you might be able to find a brand-new pair collecting dust somewhere...

My coach skated on MK dance blades for years, and changed to Ultima Ascend a couple months before me, and he really likes them (he put the new Ultima dance blades on his new boots).

OTOH, I know of a skater/coach who tried the Ultima blades and couldn't stand them, and went back to Wilson Super Dance 99s.

I loved my first pair of MK dance blades, and tolerated the 2nd. Never liked the 2nd pair as much as the previous pair.

russiet
02-14-2005, 08:41 AM
...I don't know about them being noisy and there WERE problems with the chrome plating flaking (it didn't affect the performance) but that's ages ago and as far as I'm aware that was solved a long time ago....

Ultima's entry level freestyle blade (Mirage) still has chrome plating flaking issue. I know this through personal experience. My fitter knew this ahead of time & made me aware of the issue. As you say, it doesn't affect the performance, and for the money (about $50.00) it is a good buy for a first freestyle blade

I don't know about their more expensive blades, but at $150 to $300, I hope they don't flake!

luna_skater
02-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Ultima's entry level freestyle blade (Mirage) still has chrome plating flaking issue. I know this through personal experience. My fitter knew this ahead of time & made me aware of the issue. As you say, it doesn't affect the performance, and for the money (about $50.00) it is a good buy for a first freestyle blade

I don't know about their more expensive blades, but at $150 to $300, I hope they don't flake!

I was warned about the flaking when I got the Ultima Synchro blade in 2000. I never had a problem. I am in their newer synchro blade now, and haven't had any problems either. The rep I spoke to when I ordered the new pair said that changes were made the manufacturing of the blades when the company moved from the US to Ontario.