View Full Version : How to choose skates?

bkazez
01-04-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm attending college in Minnesota and there are two outdoor ice rinks on campus. I decided it would be fun to learn to ice skate, so I want to buy some skates. (No skates are available for rentals.) There's no skate store nearby, so I'd have to buy online. I'm not interested in hockey at all, and doing some spins interests me, so I think I should be buying men's figure skates.

Skate-buys.com seems to have a good selection, but my shoes are size 14 and so I have only two skates to choose from (http://skate-buys.com/lasimesk.html). But $125 is outside my price range by a lot (this is something I'll be doing only every week). I tried on a friend's L.L. Bean / Nike hockey skates in size 13 and they're almost painfully tight, so I don't think that'll work.

What do you recommend? Should I get hockey skates instead?

flippet
01-04-2005, 06:38 PM
The only brand name I'm familiar with on that page is the Riedell. The 220s would be okay, if you were fitted properly. (The fact that the 220s seem to be the highest end skate on the page makes me question the quality of the other two brands.)

My suggestion would be to let us know where in Minnesota you are--I'm sure there are Minnesota skaters on the boards, and they'd know of the nearest skate shop to you. To be frank, it's worth it to travel a few hours if necessary to be properly fitted for decent skates. I don't recommend buying skates online *unless* you've already been fitted by someone who knows what they're doing....and if you have that done, you might as well have them order the skates for you, so buying online is kind of pointless.

Feet are strange animals...what fits one foot well may be the worst thing for another foot, and you just don't know until you try one on.

Good on you for asking first, though! You won't regret that. :D

fadedstardust
01-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Whatever you do, don't get talked into buying even semi-expensive blades, because they will get RUINED on outdoor rink ice. I would buy a blade-attached-all-purpose beginner boot if I were you. I see nothing wrong with the synthetic 50 dollar ones from Walmart or a similar place, if all you're wanting to do is learn to skate (forward, backwards, etc...) and not actually figure skate. I do think everyone should learn to skate on figure skates first, even if they want to go to hockey. If you do want to go for better skates though, even the lowest-end brand boots like Riedell or Jacksons will cost close to 100 dollars, 75 bucks at the least, so it's your choice. Shop around, but definitely DO get fitted in person.

TashaKat
01-04-2005, 11:28 PM
If you're eventually wanting to do spins and stuff then you need to go for a 'proper' figure skate rather than a moulded skate rental type. I wouldn't go for the riveted on blade as you may need to move it over if, for example, you pronate.

As Flip says, you really need to try the boots on. Every company has different fittings and shapes of boot. The same size from different manufacturers can vary wildly as to how comfortable it is for you (the only two brands that I can actually wear without crippling myself are Wifa and Harlick).

Definitely get yourself fitted properly, it will save a lot of heart (and foot) ache in the long term.

Let us know how you get on with your lessons :D

Clarice
01-05-2005, 05:43 AM
I started in $40 synthetic boots with attached blades - they lasted me 3 months. Something like that is fine, if, as fadedstardust said, all you want to do is learn to go forwards and backwards, but as soon as I wanted to try even something as simple as a 3-turn, I found the boots didn't have enough support. I switched to a low-end Jackson, which did well for me until I started jumping.

renatele
01-05-2005, 10:02 AM
I'd have to slightly disagree with fadedstardust - cheapo synthetic skates might be fine for kids, but adult definitely needs at least a little bit more support that most synthetic general-store skates cannot provide. I see many beginning adults on the ice struggling in cheapest skates with ankles hopelessly caving in, and that includes my mother, who is going to get skates in the $70-100 range as advised by several group lesson instructors (and me).

Unfortunately men have so much less available to choose from as far as beginning figure skates go... We had to spend $200 on my husban'd skates (he's a total beginner) just because we couldn't find anything else available locally that would have been worth spending money on.

bkazez
01-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Thank you all for the wonderful responses! They have been very helpful. To answer all of your questions:

I'm in Northfield, Minnesota.

There seems to be some disagreement about the merits of cheap (synthetic) boots. I'd really prefer to go for something a little higher in quality. I tried my roommate's skates again and concluded that they fit perfectly and don't actually hurt. I may have had them laced too tightly. The problem I've run into now is that few $80 skates are available in size 13.

Since I don't have a car, it's hard to drive to nearby towns to buy skates, so I think I should continue to pursue an online purchase. Can anyone recommend an online vendor? Skate-buys seems to have the skates but they don't return emails or telephone messages and their return policy is terrible.

Ben

jestemkkool
01-07-2005, 08:03 PM
http://www.rainbosportsshop.com/
I've ordered skate supplies from them and as far as I've experienced, they are great when it comes to service. I had a competition as while back and really needed bunga pads and everyone was out of stock including them. They were really good in heping me get them in time.
I would be very careful when it comes to buying skates online, but since you have no other choice, you should atleast call a proper skate fitter and ask for their advice.
Well, good luck!
Cheers,
Katy

*edit - I skated in Jackson glaciers which took me from a bunny hop to my first lutz(about a years use - I don't recommend doing this but it was necesary for me at the time). They look liek the go up to size 12 or 13, but you can have them stretched and punched out, I believe they can make it up to a size and a half bigger.*

bkazez
01-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Rainbo did seem like a really friendly place. Unfortunately, they don't sell any skates in size 13.

I found a sizing chart online that would recommend a size 10.5 for me! So is it totally a guess?

Rainbo will compute a size for you given a careful tracing of your foot. Perhaps I should do this.

Assuming I do eventually figure out the right size skate, I'll need to choose one! The following three skates look about equally good. What do you see as the pluses and minuses of each? Which would you recommend?

Dominion 731:
http://skate-buys.com/dom731men.html

Riedell 117:
http://skate-buys.com/ri117mefisk.html

Jackson Men's Glacier (assuming size 12 fits me):
http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/product.cfm?id=4AC56B5C-475A-BAC0-52ED91D5F9BC3E7D

Mrs Redboots
01-08-2005, 10:56 AM
If the rink is a proper rink - artificial ice, well-maintained, as opposed to "wild skating" on a pond or something - then they will probably have their own shop where skates can be carefully fitted and bought. If not, then ask one of the teachers there where you can buy skates. You want a good basic pair of beginner boots and blades - only you can determine the exact brand, since they do vary so, as do feet! Riedell, Jackson, Gam, Graf, SP Teri, Wifa, Risport.... they're all good! As others have suggested, it really is "worth the journey" one weekend to get a pair that fit you properly. When you go, take very thin socks with you - don't think that sports socks will be more comfortable, as, oddly, they won't!

It occurs to me, too, that you just might be able to get a second-hand pair in your size. You'd be a bit lucky, since adults tend to wear their boots into the ground so they're only fit for the dustbin, but you never know....

bkazez
01-08-2005, 11:58 AM
If the rink is a proper rink - artificial ice, well-maintained, as opposed to "wild skating" on a pond or something - then they will probably have their own shop where skates can be carefully fitted and bought.If not, then ask one of the teachers there where you can buy skates. You want a good basic pair of beginner boots and blades - only you can determine the exact brand, since they do vary so, as do feet! Riedell, Jackson, Gam, Graf, SP Teri, Wifa, Risport.... they're all good! As others have suggested, it really is "worth the journey" one weekend to get a pair that fit you properly. When you go, take very thin socks with you - don't think that sports socks will be more comfortable, as, oddly, they won't!

It occurs to me, too, that you just might be able to get a second-hand pair in your size. You'd be a bit lucky, since adults tend to wear their boots into the ground so they're only fit for the dustbin, but you never know....

This is an outdoor ice rink, not clean indoor ice. There's no skate shop anywhere nearby, so I really have to buy online unfortunately. I put out an ad for skates in my size but no one responded.

Ben

sue123
01-08-2005, 02:18 PM
the thing you would have to watch out for with riedell is that they tend to be narrow. sometimes you can get them punched out, but since you don't have a skate shop nearby, it's not gonna happen easily. I wear jackson's now, and they tend to run bigger. I wear a size 8 or 8.5 in women's, and i got a size 7 skate. I think with riedells, you may have to go down a half size or even a whole size. that's what's so difficult about buying online, every brand is designed differently, so you really need to be careful. But if rainbo says they'll figure out your size from a tracing, definitlly do that. Because every brand is different.

flippet
01-08-2005, 04:40 PM
That's the thing with skates...you generally do have to go DOWN in size, but the amount will vary from brand to brand, and possibly from person to person. I started in Reidell, and had to go down 2 WHOLE sizes. (From 7 shoe to 5 skate boot.) My SPTeris are a size 6 boot, I believe. Male sizing can also be different than female sizing. It's sort of playing roulette to try to guess on your own what you'd need.

I'd take Rainbo up on their tracing offer. Just be SURE that you follow the directions EXACTLY. (And wear either very thin socks, or nothing at all while you do it...whatever the directions recommend.) You may want to get a friend with a steady hand to help you.

With Riedell...it's funny...I feel that they're sort of wide...but then, I have a fairly narrow foot, with a really narrow heel. My husband, who has flipper feet (square, wide forefoot, normal heel), feels that Riedell does run somewhat narrow. I've heard reasonable things about Jackson (especially since they re-designed a few years ago), but have no direct experience with them.

If I'm reading you right, you aren't taking lessons, you're just going to be sort of teaching yourself, right? Are you going to try to work on turns or spins or anything, or do you just want to be able to skate forward without falling down? If it's the latter, just about anything you get (above the crappy vinyl sports-store skate with zero support) should be okay for your purposes. If you'd like to learn turns, etc., you'll want a bit more support. The 'problem' with some of these 'beginner' lower-level skates (in most any brand) is that they're fine for lightweight kids just starting out, but even though they come in adult sizes, they don't always take adult weights into account. For adults, a decent 'beginner' skate is sometimes a level or two above the brand's super-basic entry-level skate.

Whatever you get, you'll also want to pay attention to what you wear on your feet underneath, and how you lace up, and break in your skates, because it all makes a difference to how you'll skate.

Also...if you buy online, please DO remember that all new blades need to be sharpened before use! You'll just skid around otherwise (even with a 'factory sharpening', which really isn't), and make your skating time miserable.

renatele
01-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Skate-buys seems to have the skates but they don't return emails or telephone messages and their return policy is terrible.

Ben

I live within 1 hour of skate-buys, and their customer service is quite bad, indeed. I would also not trust their advice about sizing; they fitted my husband skates a size too big; they would have fitted my skates too big as well if I'd go with the size they said I need (both fittings were done in person at their retail location). Lucky for me, I went with 1/2 size smaller and ordered online as skate-buys didn't have my size in stock and didn't bother to update me in 3 months, as well as never returned my calls.

bkazez
01-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the wonderful advice, everyone. I really appreciate it.

I'll fax Rainbo a tracing of my foot as soon as I can. Even if they calculate size 13, which they don't offer, I'll still know for other vendors that a size 13 is best. I think my feet are average width, so with luck I shouldn't have to worry much about that.

If I'm reading you right, you aren't taking lessons, you're just going to be sort of teaching yourself, right? Are you going to try to work on turns or spins or anything, or do you just want to be able to skate forward without falling down? If it's the latter, just about anything you get (above the crappy vinyl sports-store skate with zero support) should be okay for your purposes. If you'd like to learn turns, etc., you'll want a bit more support.

You hit the nail on the head -- I simply want to be able to skate forwards (and maybe backwards) without falling. Sometime I might want to learn how to do a spin, but I don't foresee much more than that. In spite of this, though, I would like to get a reasonably good skate (for that category) so that it doesn't wear out after ten uses.

Thanks for the heads up on sharpening. I wouldn't have thought this to be necessary.

About vendors: I think I should avoid Skatebuys as much as I can. I'll see whether Rainbo has the size they calculate for me; if not, does anyone have experience with Newskates.com? They seem friendly and have a nice return policy.

Thanks again for all the help. Keep the advice coming!

Ben

sue123
01-09-2005, 12:53 PM
you know, i was just thinking, does your university have a hockey team? if you do, and you know any guys on the team, you could always ask where they get their skates. Even though they're hockey skates, most places would carry at least the basic figure skates as well. just a thought, because there might be a place you just don't know about.

flippet
01-09-2005, 04:40 PM
I'll fax Rainbo a tracing of my foot as soon as I can. Even if they calculate size 13, which they don't offer, I'll still know for other vendors that a size 13 is best.

Just remember that a size 13 in one brand may not be a size 13 in another. Make sure that you understand what brand of skate they're calculating for, and I wouldn't try to switch that to another brand on your own.

You hit the nail on the head -- I simply want to be able to skate forwards (and maybe backwards) without falling. Sometime I might want to learn how to do a spin, but I don't foresee much more than that.

Very few of us did, honey...very few of us did. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just ask around here sometime, how many of us just wanted to learn how to skate forwards and maybe backwards...and what are we doing now? You'll be very surprised. :D Adult Onset Skating Syndrome (AOSS) is insidious...it'll get ya! :lol: :halo:

Even though they're hockey skates, most places would carry at least the basic figure skates as well. just a thought, because there might be a place you just don't know about.

This is good advice. Sometimes these places hide pretty well!

bkazez
01-09-2005, 04:58 PM
you know, i was just thinking, does your university have a hockey team? if you do, and you know any guys on the team, you could always ask where they get their skates. Even though they're hockey skates, most places would carry at least the basic figure skates as well. just a thought, because there might be a place you just don't know about.

Unfortunately, the store in town sells figure skates in addition to hockey skates but only for women.

flippet
01-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Unfortunately, the store in town sells figure skates in addition to hockey skates but only for women.

Have you asked them if they can order men's skates? Many pro shops won't carry men's figure skates in-store, because not enough men figure skate--it's a crap shoot as to what size might be needed, and it's pointless to carry them all, just in case. But if they carry a brand in women's skates, Riedell, say, they can also order Riedell in men's. It's a little harder to get fitted, since they may not have a stock boot in to try, but they may have a way around that...maybe if they have a good relationship with their company, they can order a few sizes that might work, and send the others back.

edit...I just realized that by 'store in town' you might not mean 'pro-shop', but maybe 'sports shop'...in which case, it's probably not worth your bother.

bkazez
01-09-2005, 05:23 PM
I just realized that by 'store in town' you might not mean 'pro-shop', but maybe 'sports shop'...in which case, it's probably not worth your bother.

Indeed it is a sports shop. They can special-order the skates but if I need to return them, there's a 20% restocking fee! They're not getting my business....

bkazez
01-09-2005, 05:32 PM
I found a new online vendor, NewSkates.com (http://www.newskates.com/). They have a good return policy, a large selection, the best prices anywhere, several skates in size 13, and friendly people waiting to respond to your emails even on Sunday. Eureka!

They recommended the 731 Canadian Bronze (http://www.newskates.com/index.asp?initemuid=3552&fcmd=item&inmenu=menu) (labeled "Dominion 731" elsewhere), which costs $78.95. What do you think of it? They said that the skates run true to size and a size 13 M would work well for me given my dress shoe size.

I asked what size I should get if I decided to splurge for the Riedell Red Ribbon 117 Men's (http://www.newskates.com/index.asp?initemuid=4036&fcmd=item&inmenu=menu), which costs $90.50. In spite of the higher price, here's what they said:

The Riedell 117 is not a good choice for you as they do run small and the fit is tight. Most recreational skaters have a hard time with the firm fit of the Riedell products.

It's the rare salesperson who encourages a customer to spend less!

Do you think I should go for the 731s?

Ben

flippet
01-09-2005, 07:25 PM
The only Dominion skates I've ever heard of are the ones made for tiny tots. But maybe someone else here knows more about them. Looking at that skate....is the blade riveted on (rather than attached with screws)? And 'black composition' for the soles doesn't sound like leather (correct me if I'm wrong). The skates above this one look strictly like sports-store skates...this one looks a little better, but just from what I see online, it's kind of looking like a higher-end sports-store skate...which is to say, still a cheap skate. The 'true-to-size' thing kind of gives it away, too.

Here's the difficulty we're having...we're all figure skaters here. Very few of us, if any, skate purely 'recreationally', even if we started out that way. For figure skaters, good equipment is of the utmost importance. You wouldn't find us regularly spending upwards of $500-1000 for boots and blades otherwise. So to see anyone buy a 'recreational' skate sort of makes us cringe, even if it might be 'okay' for them based on what they're doing.

The reason the salesperson might steer you away from the Riedells is that he's probably gotten a lot of returns or complaints because of the 'tight fit' from people who don't know anything about how a figure skate should fit, and remember their old pond skates from the 60s that had no support 'but gosh, they didn't hurt like these' (well, duh) , and they think a figure skate shouldn't be uncomfortable at all, or something's wrong. (Or, they're trying to wear two pairs of thick socks, and wondering why the skates don't fit/hurt like the devil.) And, too...because a skate takes a few hours of skating to break in, for someone who doesn't plan on skating but two or three 1-hour-long public sessions a season, something with decent support may be 'too much', because they aren't going to put in the time necessary to get them to the point of comfort.

Figure skaters with a bit of experience under their belts know that A) boots should fit VERY snugly---the snugger the fit, the more control you have over your edges, and injury is less likely, and B) boots ARE uncomfortable until they're broken in--and breaking skates in takes a bit of time. (You have to break in a good pair of dress shoes, right? Why would you think skates, which need to be stiff for support, should feel like house slippers?) And C), experienced skaters also know that good leather skates can be 'punched out' at the ankles and other tight places for a more comfortable and more custom fit.

The trick for a beginner is to not over-buy or under-buy a boot. Too much boot, and you'll never break them in. Too little, and they're completely trashed in a couple of months, if not sooner.

When I started skating, I had something similar to what you're looking at--they were CCM higher-end sports store skates. I'd used them a few times as a teen to slap around a public session with my friends, then a few years later, I used them in a college phys-ed skating class. Halfway through the class, I knew they didn't have enough support, and I was tying them VERY creatively to try to coax a bit more support out of them through the laces. If all I had ever done with them was skid around a public session twice a year, hanging on to the boards, they would have been just fine.

Experience is the best teacher, though. If all you want to do this season is skate around a few times (and you're not going to be skating every day, or for more than a hour or two a week--with lots of rests) and learn to go forwards, then these skates might be okay. They won't have tons of support, and it won't last forever, but for one short season, they might be okay (especially if you're not a terribly large guy). If after this season, you discover that you like it enough to take lessons next season (or find them in the summer or whatever), you will probably want to upgrade your boot and blade. And then you'll have at least a bit of experience as to what you liked and didn't like about the skates you got.

Good luck, and have fun! (and do get them sharpened!:D) You'll also want to not tie them super-tight at the top at first, because you need some knee bend for good balance and proper skate break-in...and tying too tight at the top is asking for pain and blisters!

AstarZ41
01-09-2005, 08:57 PM
I would recommend the Riedells just because they are a well-known brand and you can trust their quality. Skates *should* be really snug over a thin sock, so if you get the right size in Riedells you should be fine. Is there any way you can send them a tracing of your foot so that they can help you choose the right size?

Mrs Redboots
01-10-2005, 10:42 AM
While I totally take Flippet's point, I would have thought that a cheap-and-cheerful pair of beginner boots (even with the blade riveted on) would be fine for this season, at least. If you get hooked, you can always buy a better pair in six months, or next season - and if you don't, you haven't wasted vast sums on something you hardly ever use. I'd go for the cheapos, myself.

sue123
01-10-2005, 10:51 AM
i don't know, i started skating in a pair of cheap skates each time i switched between sports. When i started hockey, i started in a pair of $40 skates until i was sure i liked it. Same thing with figure skating. My parents bought me a pair of skates from the sporting goods store for $30 because if i did't like it, or decided i wanted to skate only a few times a season, nothing was really wasted. Later, if you get hooked and want to get lessons, you can get yourself a pair of nice skates.

AstarZ41
01-10-2005, 04:13 PM
But the difference is only like what, $12? I think it's worth it.

bkazez
01-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Thank you all for your detailed advice and opinions about my ice skate purchase! I've decided to go with the Riedell 117, since Riedell is a "real" brand, and the skates seem to be of higher quality than the Dominions without costing too much more. I found Riedell 220 skates for only $99.95, but they're the old Riedell type, so I decided they would be too uncomfortable. My $90.50 Riedell 117s should arrive Friday or Monday.

Thanks again!

Ben

Casey
01-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Just remember that though they will probably be uncomfortable and hurt at first, but this will pass with time :). Cheers and good luck on your purchase!

sue123
01-13-2005, 06:03 PM
actually, my first pair of riedells was one of those beginning freestyle skates, and i had no problem breaking them in. then again, i was also used to how skates were supposed to feel from hockey and speed skating, i think it's the tightness at first that gets to most people, since those skates aren't exceptionallly stiff.

happy skating! and remember when you're skating, BEND YOUR KNEES! you wont hear it enough.