View Full Version : what's under your skates?

backspin
01-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Since we have some new skaters in our midst & this has come up a bit in other threads I thought I'd give it it's own title. What type of socks do you wear in your skates?

I wear polypropelene (sp?) liner socks, which I used to use for hiking. They're soooooo old, they're utterly disgusting--at the ankles where the tongue presses into them, they're permanently black!! Not to mention that they live in my bag & I rarely remember to take them out to wash them. :oops:

I do also like to skate barefoot.

I hate nylons because my foot slips in them.

jenlyon60
01-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Either Danskin skate tights or Bloch or Baryshnikov dance tights.

blue111moon
01-04-2005, 08:56 AM
For practice or under non-dress outfits, Just My Size microfiber tights in black or navy (depending upon what I can find at Walmart). For competition, if I'm wearing a dress, Danskin Microfiber tights in suntan, topped with Mondor heavyweight footless tights.

Melzorina
01-04-2005, 09:06 AM
I have normal socks, perhaps with a picture of eeyore in a christmas hat on or something, and on top of those some feathery ankle socks, and on top of them, Mondor tights.

dbny
01-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Jenskates (http://www.jenskates.com/retail.htm) brand lightweight tights. They are just a tad heavier than regular pantyhose.

edited to correct spelling and add link.

TashaKat
01-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Danskin 73 tights

I never wear socks because I find that no matter how much lycra is in them they wrinkle and rub plus my skates were measured for my tights so they're a different fit with socks.

I did skate barefoot once when I wasn't expecting to skate (after a test session which finished early) and it was really comfortable but the next time I tried it my feet were rubbed to ribbons!

garyc254
01-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Barefoot.

I do wear bunga sleeves around my ankles to keep my boots from cutting my feet off.

skaternum
01-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Danskin microfiber footed skating tights.

sue123
01-04-2005, 10:18 AM
nylon knee highs, but not the ones you buy from the dollar store. no specific brand, but the ones i can remember i have are DKNY and Calvin Klein, i find them at places like SYMS and Century 21 for really cheap. They seem to hold up well, no wrinkling, and they're strong so they don't rip anywear.

sometimes i'll wear a sock that';s a tad thicker, but not much.

renatele
01-04-2005, 10:38 AM
barefoot

(I'm new here, hi everyone)

Melzorina
01-04-2005, 10:51 AM
(I'm new here, hi everyone)

Hiya! Welcome to SkatingForums!

(I had to write something or it wouldn't let me post!)

Mrs Redboots
01-04-2005, 10:59 AM
I wear either 40-denier tights* or else knee-high pop-sox. I have once skated barefoot, when I'd forgotten to pack a pair of pop-sox (I wear over-boot tights for competitions and RIDL matches), but didn't really enjoy the experience.

*For UK skaters: I used to buy rather expensive ones from John Lewis, but have now discovered that (a) Tesco and (b) Peacock's sell perfectly good black ones, £5.00 for 3 pairs, which barely have any line at the thigh (nothing that shows at any distance). Fine under a practice-skirt, or under trackies if it's cold.

IceAngel725
01-04-2005, 12:18 PM
When I wear dresses i usually wear a pair of footed capezio tights and a heavy pair of mondor over the boot. When it's not as cold (of i feel like i wno't be falling as much..) i wear just a footed pair of tights, besides capezio i have a few other pairs that are warmer. With pants, I either wear tights, or a pair of trouser socks.

Clarice
01-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Mondor knee-hi's - they're like just the bottom part of tights - and about a bazillion Bunga pads. When I compete, I wear the same, but roll the knee hi's down over my skates and cover everything with over-the-boot tights.

Mel On Ice
01-04-2005, 01:26 PM
freestyle tights are Danskin
synchro tights are over-the-boot Mondors
trouser socks when I'm wearing leggings

Michigansk8er
01-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Danskin microfiber tights with Mondor heavy over the boot tights (the kind that velcro under the boot) for practice, when wearing a dress.

Trouser socks when wearing pants.

Danskin microfiber tights with light weight over the boot tights (that fasten with hook & eye under the boot) for competition.

nerd_on_ice
01-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Barefoot!

Hmm...just finished putting a tiny rhinestone flower on my toenail. Will it survive inside my boot? 8O

jenlyon60
01-04-2005, 04:23 PM
I had one this summer. It survived but my tights didn't. I managed to get a toe runner or hole in 3 pairs of tights in a week.

skatingatty
01-04-2005, 05:03 PM
I skate barefoot too, though I wear bunga pad sleeves on the ankle area. When I wear tights, I wear footless Capezio tights (even though they're a little dark and orange-ish colored to match).

luna_skater
01-04-2005, 06:59 PM
I can't stand anything but Mondor microfibre tights in my skates! I use bunga ankle sleeves as well and just about go crazy if I forget them...not for the pain, but just because it feels so strange!

NCSkater02
01-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Mostly Capezio microfiber footed tights, although the dance shop where I get my tights was out of them last time I needed some. I wound up with Danskins. They worked just as well.

AshBugg44
01-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Either Danskin or Mondor tights.

doubletoe
01-04-2005, 11:00 PM
I wear thin cotton socks and Bunga ankle sleeves under my boots. Nylon makes my feet sweat.
If I'm competng and have to wear a dress, I'll wear very short (ankle high) socks and the bunga pads, with over-the-boot tights.

Blosmbubbs
01-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Mondor knee hi's are awesome. Before I would wear regular knee hi's and they would often rip and I would have to buy new ones. Plus they stink from sweat!! With the mondors I can just throw them in the wash. ;)

Mrs Redboots
01-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Mondor knee hi's are awesome. Before I would wear regular knee hi's and they would often rip and I would have to buy new ones.Aren't they disposable? That's why they sell them in packs of ten pairs! I reckon that if I get more than one wearing out of a knee-high sock, I've come out ahead of the game!

singerskates
01-05-2005, 02:29 PM
I also wear knee high nylons because I need just enough of something to stop my feet from getting blisters and bloody.

Brigitte

flippet
01-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Aren't they disposable? That's why they sell them in packs of ten pairs! I reckon that if I get more than one wearing out of a knee-high sock, I've come out ahead of the game!

Oh absolutely! That's the other reason I wear them...cheap! :) I've often been able to re-use a pair numerous times--they last pretty well, unless I've forgotten to trim the ol' toenails! :oops: And nylons are very washable...maybe not in the washing machine, but a quick rinse through the sink shouldn't be a problem (not that I ever wash mine....:oops: ). I've found that nylons stink less for me than tights.

NickiT
01-06-2005, 07:28 AM
Usually Danskin tights. If I wear OTB tights I wear ankle high tights. My boots were fitted for wearing tights so I find it uncomfortable wearing socks.

Nicki

florence
01-06-2005, 11:24 AM
I usually wear tights made of cotton and nylon..and then mondor tights that cover the skate..
I used to wear a little socks above the tights when I was little but then I changed habitude..I fell more comfortable with only the tights :)

RoaringSkates
01-06-2005, 11:37 AM
I wear microfiber socks or, when it's cold, tights under my pants. Nylons are too thin and I hate the texture. Bare feet - my skin would be ripped to shreds! I skated bare foot once, and it took weeks for my feet to recover.