View Full Version : Flowy or blowy - 3-10 January 2005

Mrs Redboots
01-04-2005, 07:00 AM
Flowy: Back on the ice after 6 days off! And our elite dancers were back after a fortnight.

Now, if anybody here ever resents working basics, you should have been at my rink this morning. Elite dancers, medallists at the British Championships, were working on plain vanilla forward and backward stroking - and you should have heard the corrections they were getting, too! Their free legs were wrong, or their arms were, or they weren't bending their knees quite enough, or their heads were wrong - when you see an elite dancer, himself a qualified teacher, being manhandled into position.... well, you know you aren't wasting your time on the ice! "And they jolly well needed it!" said their coach, afterwards.

Blowy: I put insoles into my skates. Enough said! I couldn't do a thing for the first hour, it was like having new skates - and I had to totally re-lace the things. Not as far as taking the laces out and starting again, but certainly loosening them right up to the toe!

However, I persevered, and by the end of the session was beginning to feel less strange! I don't think I skated at all fast, though, even doing Russian stroking. But that's okay.... What wasn't okay were my controlled 3-turns, where I could not make my shoulders behave! Sigh..... And I didn't get a single spin of more than 2.5 revolutions (but one good one of that, which was nice).

jazzpants
01-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Blowy: Just got laid off from my job! I may have to curtain my lessons for a while until I get a new job again. (But will continue skating... but not 'til my foot healed.)

Flowy: NUTTIN'!!! :cry:

LoopLoop
01-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Blowy: Just got laid off from my job! I may have to curtain my lessons for a while until I get a new job again. (But will continue skating... but not 'til my foot healed.)

Oh, poor Jazzpants! At least Mr. Jazz is still working this time, right?

dbny
01-04-2005, 09:07 AM

Aw, Jazzpants, that's just rotten! Hope you find a new job soon.

slusher
01-04-2005, 09:37 AM
It blows:

My home rink had a coolant failure so no ice this week.

Go with the flow:

I went out of town to a public, at least it was better than nothing and someone there asked me if I competed. Uh, no, but thanks for the compliment!

Debbie S
01-04-2005, 10:26 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that, jazzpants! Best of luck to you in your job search. I am/will be looking for a new job myself (I'm in my last semester of b-school), so I know how frustrating it can be.

Flowy: I was the only one on the ice for both of my practice sessions yesterday - well, there was one other person if you count my coach! I was able to run through the Bronze moves. They weren't bad, except for the power 3's, and I seriously need to work on those since I'm doing the Bronze MIF event at New Year's. I have a moves lesson tomorrow - guess which move is first on the agenda?

I did a few run-throughs of my program and we worked on several parts by themselves. My coach thinks I'm in good shape. I did a pretty good camel-sit (well, good for me anyway) during one of the run-throughs. And my forward scratch was better than usual.

Blowy: I got ambitious and decided to try a single flip in the program instead of the half-flip I'd been doing. I landed some in practice, and then when the music came on, it was nowhere to be found. My coach told me to just practice it at speed. B/c I was slowing down before the jump (and still not landing it - grrr), I finished after the music stopped.

Backspin appears to be regressing. :roll:

sue123
01-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Blowy: I went skating for the first time since the last time i went, and i wanted to get my legs under me before my lesson on saturday. well, it's a good thing i did. i stepped on the ice, and it seemed as if i had completely forgotten to skate. i kept for soem reason expecting to have skiis attached to my feet, since i just came back from a ski trip, and it was weird.

more blowy: the place where i knot my skates was putting pressure on the exact same spot the ski boot was putting pressure on me and left a bruise. so i had the knot pushing on a bruise the entire time. kinda hard to describe what i mean, but it hurt. Also, i have a strange bump sticking out of the outside of my left foot. No clue what it is, but it hurts like a (blank) it wasn't so bad in the boot, but once i took it off, i could barely put any pressure on it.

extra blowy: i'm getting sick, and after i did a spin, i felt so sick, like i was about to throw up. i stayed away from spinning for the rest of the session.

Flowy: once i got my legs back under me, i did a bunch of three turns, which i need help on doing them CW. and i did some mohawks, choctaws, a nice lunge, spirals, anything that didn't involve extensive spinning. i also accidently did a salcow (sp?). after a 3-turn, i kinda just jumped and landed on my right leg. i don't think the technique was perfect, so maybe it was an almost sal, but hey, it's something.

edited for a cool flowy: there was a speed skater at the session, and i mentioned how i used to speed skate, and he asked if i wanted a race. i said sure, but he warned me he wasn't going to hold anything back. He used to compete at a high level, and had his speed skates, and i was in my figure skates, but i figured why not. well, it was a close race. neck and neck the entire time. not sure who won, but it felt cool to race against a speed skater and almost beat him.

Melzorina
01-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Blowy: I went skating for the first time since the last time i went, and i wanted to get my legs under me before my lesson on saturday. well, it's a good thing i did. i stepped on the ice, and it seemed as if i had completely forgotten to skate.

I did that, except I didn't seem to remember! I can't skate anymore. Waaaaaaaa! :cry:

dbny
01-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Blowy
I've spent the last two weeks doing nothing but teaching beginners, so I haven't practiced my own skating at all. I felt totally off balance and did not feel up to much of a challenge in my lesson.

Flowy
Given how I was feeling, I asked my coach if we could work on stroking, because I knew I needed improvement. We spent almost the entire lesson (only 20 min) on forward stroking and crossovers. I learned that I wasn't rising up enough after each stroke, and I learned to keep more of my blade on the ice for each push and to put more into the under push on F crossovers. I was skating faster than I've ever done before, and loved it!

I hate to practice in front of my students, but stroking is one thing that I can practice any time.

Mel On Ice
01-04-2005, 01:24 PM
this thread should be called "flu-y and blow-y" since that is all I've accomplished this week. I haven't set foot in my rink since before Christmas.

NCSkater02
01-04-2005, 07:51 PM
This is for Monday and Tuesday.
Flowy: Scratch spin, while still pretty much non-existant, is beginning to look like one--at least according to my coach. I still don't get the free leg around, but since we changed the entry, I'm getting the leg up and closer to the front. Stroking is looking real good, but the transition over to crossovers in the endzones stinks. I'd been struggling with it, so she showed me how to correct it. I'll be working on it alot, since she is aiming for testing in April. 8O We also get the moves sessions back this week so I can work on them.

Blowy: The head clonk on the ice yesterday. (Why don't we have an "ouch" smilie?) At least it came late in the session as opposed to early. It hurts to move my neck, but I got through a very cautious lesson today. Also learned my primary coach is going to be in Florida for most of the next month. I told her I'd just get a couple of lessons from my group coach when she can work me in. Hopefully, it means I can skate in the closer rink and spread my days apart instead of doing them back to back.

Shinn-Reika
01-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Flowy: Back on my home arena, which is where the ice is best.

Blowy: I think my teacher is ignoring me.

Melzorina
01-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Shinn-Reika, why do you think that?

Shinn-Reika
01-05-2005, 10:24 AM
We went through a whole class and she didn't get to me once, and there were less people this time. It's no matter how, she should to spend more time with some of the less able people. I learn quickly, so I'm less needy.

Mrs Redboots
01-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Blowy: Cr*p ice (the Zamboni had broken down again - a large patch of red on the ice which they said was hydraulic fluid, but the kids insisted was blood.....), uncomfortable skates, why did I bother? Couldn't control my left shoulder, either - coach says I let my weight drop out of the circle. Back outside edges awful, timing all wrong so horrid toe-rake noises all the time.

Flowy: On that ice? I don't think so.... but my F & B slaloms were fine, and my BI edges. Plus my anti-clockwise back crossovers, and my clockwise ones are improving. And a really good figure 8 of forward crossovers, too. Mohawks also improving, although still left shoulder issues. And we are going skating again in a few minutes, as it's our monthly class followed by social dancing!

Mrs Redboots
01-06-2005, 11:43 AM
I replaced the insoles in my boots with thermal ones, which made an immediate difference - much less uncomfortable. Class went well, although I still can't do a Foxtrot Mohawk reliably. Social dance great fun as usual, but the ice was very fast and I scared myself silly a time or two.... but it's good to be skating outside my Comfort Zone. Except I do hate the Fiesta Tango.

blue111moon
01-06-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm glad the insoles helped.

As for flowy/blowy, well, for me it's neither, because it's all snowy here and the roads are too horrible to risk my life driving to the rink, just to risk my life ON the ice there. :) My coach has cancelled, the other adult I skate with has cancelled, so I will get my exercise for the day shovelling out my driveway.

Plus I leave on vacation on Saturday, so no skating for me until after the 17th. With luck, though, my new programs should be cut and waiting for me when I get back.

2loop2loop
01-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Blowy: Got up nice and early on Jan 2nd and got to the rink to find my coach outside unable to open up the rink as it had been locked from the inside. Since there were only a few of us one of the skaters invited us back to her house for coffee while our coach phoned around to get someone out of bed to open the rink. The rink had been used for a party on New Year's Eve and the ice covered with boards. It transpired that two guys had been paid by the rink to work overnight to restore the ice, however due to too much seasonal excess it seems they locked themselves in the rink and promptly fell asleep. So even when we did get back to an unlocked rink the ice was in such a state as to be unusable. :evil:

Flowy: When I finally did get back on the ice yesterday after a whole week off I found myself in great form. The now restored ice was lovely and fast and despite the festive season I was feeling in really good shape. I was whizzing around the ice on my footwork exercises and my jumps were working really well. My double flip, which has been problematic in the past (and totally abandoned me at the MC and British adults), has recently really come into its own and yesterday it was flying! :D

Blowy #2: I have however come to the conclusion that my boots have had it, which considering my bank balance, is not a good thing :(

John

Hannahclear
01-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Blowy:

1) The jumps really weren't all that great for me today. A bit scratchy. It's been a week and my jumps are pretty reliable, but I still wasn't happy about that. Didn't even bother getting through my combos.

2) I don't think my MITF pattern of basic stroking to edges is very good. I don't know what it's called exactly, but I don't think I get much of an edge.

3) Backspin stunk today.

Flowy:

1) Scratch spin: Somewhat consistently mostly centered :D.

2) Power threes. I think I am really getting the actual pattern down. Very exciting. And I think I have much more control and am much closer to really demonstrating each of the appropriate edges. I was thrilled at this.

3) Of the jumps, the toe loop is actually improving. Meaning that I'm not doing a toe waltz anymore. I actually used a little bit of speed today and was successful, which is great, because up until now I've fixed it by doing it at a standstill.

4) Finally, the best development of the day.

I did a LBO 3 turn/L Mohawk/LBO 3 turn/ L Mohawk. This is just huge for me. I've been doing it on the right for awhile now, but I did it cleanly on the other foot for the first time today and managed it twice. Two weeks ago, I couldn't even get halfway through the turn.

So that was great.

Shinn-Reika
01-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Flowy: My instructor does notice me. And I learned three jumps! Loop, Waltz, and flip. She says she'll finish off the next three really soon.

Blowy: I can only affectively land a waltz. But hey I guess it's not bad since I've only tried toe jumping for two sessions.

Terri C
01-06-2005, 06:04 PM
This is for the week, since I won't be back on the ice until Monday.

Flowy:
My spins were secure and centered all week long, especially the scratch.
One day this week, actually worked on Bronze moves. Not bad, but which one did I purposely skip??? :halo:
Learning very quickly that training two programs is a good aerobic workout.
On lesson today, Coach said that I pushing through every nicely during my freeskate program!

Blowy:
Why is it that the planets can line up for me spin wise during practice, but then take all my spins away during lesson time? :giveup:
Program run throughs were not as good as last week's but maybe I can use PMS for a excuse??? :??

Michigansk8er
01-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Flowy: Not a darn thing. It's been one of those weeks where nothing is going right and tossing the skates in the trash can has come to mind.

Blowy: Belly-flop flying camels. AWOL loops. Having to miss a lesson to go to the doc to get a fish bone out of my throat.

Debbie S
01-06-2005, 09:56 PM
One day this week, actually worked on Bronze moves. Not bad, but which one did I purposely skip??? :halo:

Hmmm, let me guess? ;)

Actually, after my moves lesson yesterday, my coach said that my power 3's looked better than they did the last time she saw them. Of course, that is a relative comparison. :)

Ouch, Michigansk8er, I hope you are feeling better!

Mrs Redboots
01-07-2005, 06:10 AM
Flowy: Oh, I am so-o-o-o virtuous, I have this great big shining halo! Well - not really, but in my practice this morning I actually forced myself to do the Fiesta Tango, solo, to the music! And I also, later on, did the Swing Dance AND the Willow Waltz, both solo. Husband didn't skate today as he'd skated hard last night, when I didn't.

Actually had a good practice, a little over 1.5 hours, and made some notes. When doing FO swing rolls, my RFO swing had that lovely "lilt" at the end when you go slightly faster, but the LFO didn't. When I did the Golden Skaters' waltz solo, another skater said I was "wasting" the forwards x-roll swing. She said, "You're crossing it now, which you never used to do, but you've got too small a loop on it, and you aren't finishing it facing the end barrier!" Must work on that!

Managed 4 laps of stamina-exercises, 2 backwards and 2 of forwards Russian stroking. These days, increasingly, it's my arms that ache afterwards!

Did a lap of changes-of-edge, and finished with a RFI-O change, which I held and then did a beautiful RFO3, and was able to hold the exit edge, too. Felt lovely and flowy.... need to do that more often.

Blowy: Clockwise back crossovers! Could do them a lot better than in my lesson, but was still having trouble pushing the ice underneath me and keeping my left shoulder back. Swing Dance very flat and a bit to-ey, plus Mohawk out of control. Willow Waltz too small, and Mohawk rushed, but at least I got the RFO3 right, if a bit not-pushed. Fiesta was small, but much faster than I used to do it, but the step to forward still feels dreadful. Mohawk okay, though, and I was gradually getting a bit more "oomph" into it.

But I still find intro-3s difficult on my own (Hello, Jen!). Fine with a partner, no problem, but solo still tentative and occasionally 2-footed.

slusher
01-07-2005, 02:57 PM
I really like that lilt on swing rolls, it's why I like waltzes so much.

Flowy:
Ice is back in the rink and no one knows except me so I had it all to myself this morning. Well, me and the coach, so I got a huge lesson.

Blowy:

I fell on the mohawk in the Fiesta tango. Fell down. Hard. Boom! Had my weight a little too much on the right side it seems. So, I'm not liking the Fiesta mohawk very much, and about that step to forward, well, I didn't know it was supposed to cross and not be a scraping lunging toe picking thing.

Flowy, again:

When you've got the ice to yourself and all you've done for half an hour is the Fiesta tango, it looks really cool, because the ice is decorated with the dance pattern and nothing else. At least I can stay on pattern and have proof of it.

Melzorina
01-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Not once the zamboni has had its wicked way with the ice. Your beautiful tracing will be gone!

Mrs Redboots
01-08-2005, 03:53 AM
I really like that lilt on swing rolls, it's why I like waltzes so much.So do I, but I can't guarantee to be able to do it! One side is pretty consistent now.

Flowy:
Ice is back in the rink and no one knows except me so I had it all to myself this morning. Well, me and the coach, so I got a huge lesson.I hate practising in an empty rink, as you can't have a breather and watch what else is going on. A lesson in an empty rink is fantastic, though!

Blowy:

I fell on the mohawk in the Fiesta tango. Fell down. Hard. Boom! Had my weight a little too much on the right side it seems. So, I'm not liking the Fiesta mohawk very much, and about that step to forward, well, I didn't know it was supposed to cross and not be a scraping lunging toe picking thing. Read this aloud to Husband, who roared (so did I). Hope you didn't hurt yourself on your fall. At least you didn't have a Husband to carefully sweep your feet out from underneath you during the change-of-edge, which mine has been known to do on occasion! But I do so agree about that "scraping, lunging, toe-picking thing", it is exactly that! On Wednesday night I was bending my knees so hard I was practically sitting on the ice, and we still separated and I lunged and wide-stepped..... Gack.

Flowy, again:

When you've got the ice to yourself and all you've done for half an hour is the Fiesta tango, it looks really cool, because the ice is decorated with the dance pattern and nothing else. At least I can stay on pattern and have proof of it.Then you are a better dancer than I am, as my pattern is still far too small, especially when danced solo. Even with both of us, at the moment, although I'm getting more confidence.

slusher
01-08-2005, 08:04 AM
I hate practising in an empty rink, as you can't have a breather and watch what else is going on. A lesson in an empty rink is fantastic, though!

On Wednesday night I was bending my knees so hard I was practically sitting on the ice, and we still separated and I lunged and wide-stepped..... Gack.

I agree about not having a breather. When the coach is fit and not breathing hard and I'm red faced and huffing, I really want him to go off and do a lesson with someone else and come back, but oh no, we're going around again. At least no one was around to see me be turned into flubbering jelly. The empty rink was such a treat, I've never had that before.

Mmmmmm, I have that wide stepping thing too. I wide stepped too much on the back chasees that I wide stepped on coach's foot, and then sort of caught him in a tender spot. I'm surprised I've still got a coach sometimes.

sue123
01-08-2005, 02:27 PM
I just had my first group lesson today, and it was awesome. So much fun. We did half an hour off ice, and an hour on the ice. I didn't realize that we would have been doing so much jumping off the ice, i felt my entire breakfast start coming up. lesson learned.

On the ice, i guess is the flowy/blowy part. so here goes.

Flowy: i kinda did power pulls. But i can do them starting with the slalom, and only if i get a lot of speed, which is hard to do on a small piece of ice. I also did my first ever back 3 turn in the CCW direction. :P i am rather proud of myself. And my spinning today was wild (in a good way). Soon as i remembered to keep my elbows up, there was no stopping me. I don't know how fast it looked like i was going, but i could not see anything around me, and once it felt like i was going really fast, i unfortunatly freaked out and stopped myself. I also managed a semi decent waltz jump, not as good as those people who took teh class before, which is most of the class, but it was a distinct jump off the air.

Blowy: THe only problem with my waltz is when i start going faster, my right leg seems to get stuck and refuse to come foward. I'm not scared of falling, it just gets stuck. I cannot for the life of me do backward 3's in the CW direction. I can't seem to twist my body enough to get around. When the instructor demonstrated, it looked so pretty and graceful. When i tried it, i couldn't do it. I could sorta do it on 2 feet. ANd the double 3's, forget it. I could do the foward part, but i lose too much momentum to get the back 3 in. Oh well, it's only the first day.

My legs are killing me though. i don't know how i managed to walk from the train station to my house. I thought my legs were going to fall off. I've also come to the conclusion that i need a bigger bag.

mikawendy
01-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Flowy--
Landed the flip today--not fully rotated, but I landed it on one foot. Today was the first time I'd really tried it! I've been working on exercises at the boards, but today I tried it from a mohawk and was able to get it nearly fully rotated!

I'm also having success with waltz-loop-loop, although the second loop was wussy.

AstarZ41
01-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Congratulations on getting the flip, mikawendy :D

First lesson of the new year today! Let's see:

Flowy: Started off with a *centered* scratch spin! I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked at the tracing, I was like, "is that mine?!" Then worked on sit spins and got a good 5-6 revs! My coach was pleased with it. We've figured out that not bringing my right arm around together with my leg is probably why I still have centering problems. So now, at least I know what exatly I have to fix. Also, I got a few good camel attempts. Maybe 2-3 revs, that's good for me!

Loop, waltz/loop, and flip were happy, so we moved on to lutz. They're not so bad, I did a couple decent ones. I just need to remember to not get carried away with the outside edge and switch my arms low so that my shoulders stay square.

Blowy: Back spins were iffy. What else is new? ;) Also we worked on split jumps and they're just hard! My coach lifted me up as I jumped so that I went really high, but on my own...uhhh not exactly a split.

Michigansk8er
01-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Ouch, Michigansk8er, I hope you are feeling better!

Yep, I'm OK now! :D

Casey
01-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Blowy: Today was a "forget about those silly toepicks, they don't matter" day. I tripped on them and fell about 5 times for no apparent reason, had two especially bad falls that ended up with me limping painfully out of the rink and taking a 5-10 minute break to recover. For the first time ever I leaned too far into a progressive run and did not manage to recover as per usual, of course when I was going quite fast, so I ended up falling and skidding half the distance across the rink, with people dodging me the whole way. My clockwise skills I'd practiced up seemed to have vanished since last week. I still can't do a shoot-the-duck while skating on my right foot.

Flowy: I can shoot-the-duck while skating on my left foot better than ever (even backwards), and felt generally competent on the ice when I wasn't falling, though it was a far cry from by best times out. I did some double 3-turns, they weren't my best, but I did manage to get at least a double in both directions on both feet, and pulled off a couple with 4-5 3-turns in a row, which I was happy about, even if it didn't look the prettiest. I tried doing a 2 foot spin in the clockwise direction instead of CCW, and the first couple tries went surprisingly well. It was downhill from there though...

Back again tonight.

Mrs Redboots
01-09-2005, 06:37 AM
cshobe, I bet you aren't turning your feet out enough as you push - this is what normally causes one to catch one's toe-rakes. Don't forget you absolutely mustn't use them to push with - it's the side of your blade. Toe-pushing is a serious fault.....

However.... not being on an edge is worse, and that's what was happening in my Willow Waltz today. Not that our coach addressed that: "I've never seen you two do a Willow," he said, so we had to demonstrate it. Which made him laugh.... don't blame him, really.

How come our coach can remember the steps of the free dance when we can't? But we sorted it out in the end - it has to be cut down to 1 minute for test, and also dumbed down so we are doing beautiful edges. My back chasses weren't always beautiful, alas, but they are gradually improving.

We didn't do either the Swing Dance or the Fiesta in our lesson ("Oh help!" said the coach when we told him what dances we were working on, which I do think was rude of him as we're getting better!), but did both in practice. End pattern of the Fiesta is dire... at least mine is; Husband's is okay. Swing Dance is coming along nicely - first year we've worked on it that I've really felt we've improved. Actually, our Fiesta is a lot better than it was last time we needed it for competition - it's much faster!

In such private practice as I did, my LFO swing rolls are improving, but they are not as good as my RFO ones.

And talk about mind over matter - I set myself to do a length of back cross-rolls, but found, half-way down, that I was doing cross-cuts instead. Whereupon I promptly stopped being able to do them, and ground to the usual halt.... and I still can't do a decent spin from a BI edge - it travels. From a BO edge it's unreliable, but if it does happen, it's okay!

:giveup:

Melzorina
01-09-2005, 07:07 AM
Flowy: I had such a fantabulous lesson yesterday! My group lesson was a bit crap, because we had to do salchows without really practicing jumps, after being off the ice for 2 weeks, but whatever. My private lesson however was really good. I was doing the foxtrot and the dutch waltz in killian hold, which was funny. My friend came skating with me, and she had to watch my lesson, and I cringed and begged not to have to do it in front of her, but, alas, I had to. She was very impressed though. So that's okay. I also did it to music!

I've booked a private lesson for half an hour next week, so more dancing.

Blowy: I couldn't remember all the steps to the dutch waltz after a certain point. I really need to remember them!!! Does anybody know them?

Oh, I've also got a new notebook! I've been writing down what i've been doing and what needs improving. :D

jazzpants
01-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Flowy: Back on the ice again with new purple boots. Right achilles heel is holding up fine so far. No major pain beyond a slight soreness, which disappeared a few minutes later after taking off the boots. Blade alignment is slightly off, but not so bad that I couldn't do anything at all. Phil from Harlicks is pretty good on guessing my blade alignment based on my boot alone. Most of the blade technicians haven't quite got it right before for me. And my custom Harlicks fit like a dream too!!! It feels right.

In any case, it's so good to be back on the ice again! And I look forward to breaking in my new boots!!! :mrgreen:

Blowy: The public session MOB!!! I need to stop being so lazy and start getting up for those FS sessions on Sat., if I ever want a semi-sane ice session. Then again, since I'm unemployed now, so I can go to those empty public sessions on the weekdays too! :mrgreen:

pennybeagle
01-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Flowy: The best medicine for an axel gone AWOL is, apparently, taking two weeks off skating and only jumping off-ice.

Blowy: I did something funny to my right hip skating...noticed a dull ache while doing a backspin towards the end of practice, and then it's just been hurting since (did not do any jumps after it started hurting). Have no idea what I did to it, or how I may have injured it. Here's to hoping that it will go away after a nice bath and a good night's sleep...

jazzpants
01-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Flowy and Showy is the same as Saturday!!! Thank goodness I'm just concentrating on breaking in the boots. No jumps, though I admit to breaking the rules on wimpy spins. :halo: Deep knee bends are my coaches' biggest complaint about me, so, in theory, I haven't broken the "deep knee bend" rule... :P :twisted:

vintagefreak
01-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Blowy, blowy blowy. I've been waiting 3 months for new custom skates (SP TERI) to come in. I think our dealer forgot to place the order after measuring me but who will ever know. He keeps saying they should come in any day now. My skates are mushy and I'm grouchy.

Casey
01-10-2005, 04:13 AM
cshobe, I bet you aren't turning your feet out enough as you push - this is what normally causes one to catch one's toe-rakes. Don't forget you absolutely mustn't use them to push with - it's the side of your blade. Toe-pushing is a serious fault.....
I don't know what I was doing, I'd just be skating along like normal and catch the toepick, which is unusual. I think what happened is that I skated for a while with too loose of skates, then tightened them and couldn't bend my knees quite as much...hard to say.

Today was better, though nothing special. No falls except out of a backwards shoot-the-duck (I've never stood up out of one, though I can forward), and after becoming really dizzy spinning myself around real fast using one foot as the pivot an the other to orbit it. My knee still hurts from one of the falls yesterday, especially if I put pressure on the inside of it (like dragging it in a T-stop or trying to squat while skating forwards), but it's tolerable.

On the flowy side I got more used to being dizzy by spinning around one foot using the other to orbit around and accelerate...I got some really fast speed out of this, and I'd lift up the orbiting foot as often as I dared, I think I managed to pull off a revolution or two on one foot. I tried to find the right spot on the blade in the middle, and it was good fun and practice, though I'd get terribly dizzy as I was rotating 20-30 times each go, and fell when I stopped a couple times from the dizziness. After about 15 minutes of it though, I started feeling rather queasy and decided I'd had quite enough of that. It was nearly the end of the public session anyways, so I called it a day.

Mrs Redboots
01-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Blowy: I couldn't remember all the steps to the dutch waltz after a certain point. I really need to remember them!!! Does anybody know them?Melzorina, Tashakat and another skater from this forum have a UK skaters Yahoo group (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/UKskaters/). There's very little traffic on it, but some very useful files, including basic dance patterns. I've just checked, and it does have the Dutch Waltz on it.

flo
01-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Flowy: Skated at club,and worked on the program, also stayed to teach group lessons.

Blowy: Ran out of paint for the costume,

back to Flowy: picked some up and painted the skirt/dress. Fingers are still blue!

dbny
01-10-2005, 11:21 AM
I don't know what I was doing, I'd just be skating along like normal and catch the toepick, which is unusual. I think what happened is that I skated for a while with too loose of skates, then tightened them and couldn't bend my knees quite as much...hard to say.

Today was better, though nothing special. No falls except out of a backwards shoot-the-duck (I've never stood up out of one, though I can forward), and after becoming really dizzy spinning myself around real fast using one foot as the pivot an the other to orbit it. My knee still hurts from one of the falls yesterday, especially if I put pressure on the inside of it (like dragging it in a T-stop or trying to squat while skating forwards), but it's tolerable.

On the flowy side I got more used to being dizzy by spinning around one foot using the other to orbit around and accelerate...I got some really fast speed out of this, and I'd lift up the orbiting foot as often as I dared, I think I managed to pull off a revolution or two on one foot. I tried to find the right spot on the blade in the middle, and it was good fun and practice, though I'd get terribly dizzy as I was rotating 20-30 times each go, and fell when I stopped a couple times from the dizziness. After about 15 minutes of it though, I started feeling rather queasy and decided I'd had quite enough of that. It was nearly the end of the public session anyways, so I called it a day.

You really do need those lessons. You should take a few private lessons, as a good coach will be able to tell you what's going wrong that's causing you to catch your toe picks.

T-stops are not done with dragging. The free foot is brought in to the heel of the skating foot at a right angle, and pressure is applied to the OUTSIDE edge. No dragging involved. Another reason to have some private lessons.

A coach can show you the best way to learn spins, which is not the way you have been approaching them.

You sound to me like you have a good deal of natural ability, and would really learn very quickly with proper instruction, whereas now you are beating yourself up going at things the wrong way.

CanAmSk8ter
01-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Flowy: Did first two spead eagles EVER after more years of trying than I care to admit!

Blowy: Have no witnesses to said spread eagles. Also, fell on another attempt and have a nasty bruise on the palm of my hand to prove it.

Melzorina
01-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Melzorina, Tashakat and another skater from this forum have a UK skaters Yahoo group (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/UKskaters/). There's very little traffic on it, but some very useful files, including basic dance patterns. I've just checked, and it does have the Dutch Waltz on it.

I'm a member of that! (eclipse_blackpool, I posted a message about your photos a while back!) I'll go and have a look now.

{EDIT}
I've just had a look, and it's wonderful! I'm going to print out a copy and walk it through untill i'm blue in the face, and then take it to the rink with me on saturday. I WILL REMEMBER THIS DANCE IF IT KILLS ME!

{ANOTHER EDIT}
Does anyone know where I can get the music for the dutch waltz, and what it's called? All I remember is saying it was a bit crap...I swear I have a memory like swiss cheese.

Casey
01-10-2005, 01:56 PM
You really do need those lessons. You should take a few private lessons, as a good coach will be able to tell you what's going wrong that's causing you to catch your toe picks.
It was just a lousy day. Too many days without skating...I got lazy.

T-stops are not done with dragging. The free foot is brought in to the heel of the skating foot at a right angle, and pressure is applied to the OUTSIDE edge. No dragging involved. Another reason to have some private lessons.

Eh, no...the free foot is brought in to the heel at a right angle yes, and your skating leg may well be on the outside edge, but the edge that scrapes the ice and causes you to slow (this is what I call dragging), is the inside edge of the free leg. I think we just had some terminology miscommunication...

A coach can show you the best way to learn spins, which is not the way you have been approaching them.

Sure, and I understand that. More than anything I was just trying to get used to the dizziness and toying around. I wasn't trying to do a serious spin.

You sound to me like you have a good deal of natural ability, and would really learn very quickly with proper instruction, whereas now you are beating yourself up going at things the wrong way.

Thanks for the compliment :). I'm in public lessons now, and have already stated that I'm going to get a coach soon. However they are quite expensive and I need to stabilize my employment situation first, at this point. Even so, I plan to start doing "trial" lessons with several of the coaches starting this or next week - I'm going to talk to each one a bit, and try a half-hour lesson to see how it goes. After I try a few I'll make a decision as to which one to go with...

I was thinking about it more this morning, and I think that my difficulties at work are probably what affected my skating so much on Saturday...I just really couldn't focus at all. Ahh, bring on the new job. Maybe I can learn to drive the zamboni. :P

AstarZ41
01-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Eh, no...the free foot is brought in to the heel at a right angle yes, and your skating leg may well be on the outside edge, but the edge that scrapes the ice and causes you to slow (this is what I call dragging), is the inside edge of the free leg. I think we just had some terminology miscommunication...
Nope, it IS the *outside* edge that you drag to stop. You need to open up your hip and bend your knees so that your back foot is on the outside edge.

Casey
01-10-2005, 05:43 PM
To quote from my book:

"The T Stop: This starts with the skater standing on one foot and gliding in a straight line. The skating leg should be bent and the position of the free leg should be as for correct forward skating, in other words extended behind and turned out at 90 degrees. The blade of the free foot is placed on the ice directly behind the skating foot. The inside edge must touch the ice and then you must keep your body weight over the skating foot until you feel the free foot touching the ice. At this point you slowly transfer your weight onto the free foot. As you do this the inside edge will drag across the ice, creating friction and bringing you to a standstill. During the stop the skating knee will rise slowly until the stop is completed. At the completion of the stop the feet will be together in a T position giving the stop its name"

And this is how I am doing it...

AstarZ41
01-10-2005, 06:05 PM
I see...but still I think that is wrong. I distinctly remember being taught about the outside edge. Plus, if you think about it, how are you going to apply pressure to the inside edge and almost balance on that foot? When you do a proper T stop, you can almost rise off your skating leg and go into a 1 foot stop. For that you need your weight to be exactly over your back foot, on the outside edge. If you use your inside edge, about all you can do is drag it behind you.

The edge has to oppose the motion, not go with it.

jazzpants
01-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Eh, no...the free foot is brought in to the heel at a right angle yes, and your skating leg may well be on the outside edge, but the edge that scrapes the ice and causes you to slow (this is what I call dragging), is the inside edge of the free leg. I think we just had some terminology miscommunication...Nope! I thought that too! But it's definitely the outside edge. In addition to opening those hips, you better make sure you BEND those skating legs. It's more like a "lean back and push" on the outside edge. It's quite scary, but I could do it... And yes, ask your group coaches to show you the right way. :)

I was thinking about it more this morning, and I think that my difficulties at work are probably what affected my skating so much on Saturday...I just really couldn't focus at all. Ahh, bring on the new job. Maybe I can learn to drive the zamboni. :P We're both in the same boat (well sorta, you STILL have a job for now...) People have told me that skating helps me to get over the pain... My thing is "not with the initial shock." I think once the initial shock wears off that's when skating is the best stress reliever.

dbny
01-10-2005, 09:37 PM

Nope. You have a common misconception about the T-stop. Your skating foot is actually usually on a flat. If your free foot takes the ice on an inside edge, then you will indeed drag and could hurt yourself also. It takes a bit of practice to get the right angle of blade to ice to get the outside edge that stops you. Pick a good skater who can do a T-stop on a dime, so to speak, and carefully observe the angle made by the stopping foot to the back of the skating foot. You will see that the foot is angled back to apply the outside edge. If you apply the inside edge, then instead of a crisp stop with feet in T position, you will get your back foot dragged away from your skating foot, and if you have too much weight on it, you will most likely fall and pull a muscle in the bargain. The T-stop can also be done with the stopping foot in front of the skating foot, which is called a tango stop. That may show you more clearly that there is no dragging and that the outside edge is used. Accomplished skaters can also do the same stop on only one foot.

NoVa Sk8r
01-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Flowy
As a spectator this evening at a test session:
-Got inspired by watching a team take the adult gold pair test. After they finished the test, they showed Loops and me how to do a back press lift tonight.
-A test judge answered questions on our pair elements and other sundry items.
-Another judge said nice things about Loops and me to a few other judges--that felt kinda cool.

This morning, at a deserted rink (and I mean deserted--I was the only skater on one of the 2 sessions that I skated. I had to share the second session with another skater. <sigh> :D ):
-Landed a few decent flying camels and did some nice stars/flying camels
-Executed a new spin combo: camel/twisted body-half sit spin/side layback.
-Achieved 12 revolutions on my sit spin.

Blowy
-Still dealing with bursitis in my right shoulder, so should not have been learning back press lift. :cry:
-Lost lutz due to shoulder problem and cannot do fast scratch spins (but, ah, this gives me time to work on my slow back scratch).
-Have to modify my camel spin (my camel spin!) so it doesn't hurt my shoulder.
-After watching the adult pair team, I realized I need to gain some muscle/weight. I look like such a shrimp next to that guy!
-Have to miss my pairs lesson this Friday morning owing to an early-morning work meeting (unless a last minute "doctor's appointment" should arise ... hmmmm ....).

Casey
01-11-2005, 02:47 AM
Nope. You have a common misconception about the T-stop. Your skating foot is actually usually on a flat.

Yes, I know this. But the only outside edge I could think of was the skating foot...maybe the person was talking about a T-stop when turning or something weird.

In any case, the rest of your reply and the others are in direct opposition to books on the subject (I have this one: http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/product.cfm?id=4AC59EA1-475A-BAC0-5E16076300F58E46 )...

Mrs Redboots
01-11-2005, 06:28 AM
Does anyone know where I can get the music for the dutch waltz, and what it's called? All I remember is saying it was a bit crap...I swear I have a memory like swiss cheese.In this country (the USA is different), it's frequently skated to the same music as the European waltz. As, indeed, is the Prelim (British) waltz and the Willow Waltz, which is why everybody loathes it!Your teachers will indubitably have a copy. If you hear the slow waltz being played, no matter what other dances people are doing to it, do a Dutch Waltz, as you can't practice it too often.

LoopLoop
01-11-2005, 08:45 AM
-After watching the adult pair team, I realized I need to gain some muscle/weight. I look like such a shrimp next to that guy!

Yeah! And besides, if you gain some weight it'll make me look smaller too!

NoVa Sk8r
01-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Yeah! And besides, if you gain some weight it'll make me look smaller too!Perhaps ... but I'm still looking to lose a few more pounds. Don't worry, I can temporarily gain some for nationals. But really, I've had no problem lifting you.
I was quite impressed that you could lift me!!! :bow:

sue123
01-11-2005, 10:08 AM
today, i skated by myself until one other person showed up. but the ice was so hard, since they're a big hockey rink.

Flowy: i landed some waltz jumps with the back crossover entrance. although i'm not sure if my feet are going the right way on the back crossovers. times like this i wish i had a better concept of left and right. :oops: i also did some nice inside spirals.

Blowy: back 3's are eluding me, as are turning CW. i keep forgetting which way to turn and confuse myself. the only way it kinda works is 2 footed. i was also feeling a bit queasy, so after doing a nice fast spin, i ran to the bathroom to throw up. not a pretty site.

batikat
01-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Yes, I know this. But the only outside edge I could think of was the skating foot...maybe the person was talking about a T-stop when turning or something weird.

In any case, the rest of your reply and the others are in direct opposition to books on the subject (I have this one: http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/product.cfm?id=4AC59EA1-475A-BAC0-5E16076300F58E46 )...

I think you (and Dbny) are both right. You can do a perfectly good T-stop by using the inside edge of the dragging foot - it is less efficient certainly but it is commonly taught to beginners. It's the only version I can do and I can stop pretty quickly using it (though I tend to use a one foot snow plough as I can do it fast and well).

DBNY's version could be thought of as the advanced version (in the same way there are beginner crossovers and the more advanced versions) - it is the way our head coach tries to get us to stop but few of us (adult learners ) can do it well. It is much better but not that easy to learn. He also calls it a show stop though the show stop I know is more like Dbny's Tango stop with the foot in front.

As for skating - I ran through all my preparations for testing so practised dance moves which coudl still be improved and then the level 1 variation (a UK specialty I think) which is a variation on the Rythm Blues - actually felt I did it OK til my coach said I was out of time on the second corner - darn it!

Then ran through my Free dance. I want to take level 3 but here we have to take all the tests in order, which is annoying as the level 2 is only a 1 minute Free dance so will have to perform two versions at 1 minute and 1min 30 secs. Again I thought I did quite well in these until I was practising after my lesson and my son says "I thought you were supposed to be dancing to the beat!" Well duh! There was me thinking I was! :frus:

Then he tried to teach me to jump higher and complained I was cheating on my salchow and then he tried to teach me the Loop (making fun of my pathetic efforts) and then the backspin. Although he is actually quite a good teacher it is also a bit demoralizing having him look at my efforts with such disdain :cry: . Ah well, it was a one off occurence as he did not have to be in school til late today. Next time I'll only have my coach to cope with. :)

Stormy
01-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Flowy: Literally just got back to work from taking my Silver FS. I PASSED! So I can go to Nationals now!! :)

Blowy: Wasn't the best test. My camel spins were both wonky, and probably short of rotation. But I passed and I'm thrilled!

NoVa Sk8r
01-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Hurray, another ...
Congrats!!!! :bow:

Welcome to the wonderful adult silver level!

flo
01-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Stormy - Congrats! So welcome to the world of Silver - see you at Nationals!

LoopLoop
01-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Flowy: Literally just got back to work from taking my Silver FS. I PASSED! So I can go to Nationals now!! :)

Congrats, Stormy! :bow: Looking forward to seeing you in Kansas City!

dbny
01-11-2005, 01:08 PM
I think you (and Dbny) are both right. You can do a perfectly good T-stop by using the inside edge of the dragging foot - it is less efficient certainly but it is commonly taught to beginners. It's the only version I can do and I can stop pretty quickly using it (though I tend to use a one foot snow plough as I can do it fast and well).

DBNY's version could be thought of as the advanced version (in the same way there are beginner crossovers and the more advanced versions) - it is the way our head coach tries to get us to stop but few of us (adult learners ) can do it well. It is much better but not that easy to learn. He also calls it a show stop though the show stop I know is more like Dbny's Tango stop with the foot in front.

Yes, the T-stop is taught initially with a little drag of the inside edge, gradually bringing the back foot in to the heel of the skating foot and onto the outside edge. This could be the source of the confusion.

For my own skating, I've been pretty demoralized about it lately, but this week I seem to be doing better. I have hardly had any time to skate for myself for the past three weeks, as I've been spending all my time coaching. Two weeks in a row, I've had to confess to my coach that I hadn't practiced much of anything.

Yesterday before my lesson, I tried and succeded at getting all the way across the rink on just one push, thanks to the previous week's focus on stroking. We actually stayed away from three turns in my lesson, but did the 8 step Mohawk instead. My RFO Mohawk is good, with both edges being true Outsides, but I get stuck on the RBI Mohawk! Getting an under push on the cross front helps. Going CW, my LFO Mohawk needs work. I have to set it up first, which is scary. OTOH, the step forward in the LBI Mohawk is a piece of cake for me as it is right out of dance.

At the end of my lesson, I asked my coach if it would be possible for someone with such poor turnout as I have to ever do a spread eagle - and she said YES! We began work on it, and I love it. I will probably never be able to do an Outside one, but even an Inside spread eagle will be a thrill for me.

Today after the ice cut, when the school kids had left, I got in a little practice and managed to actually get the power threes going again. I also went back to the B cross stroke/power pull exercise that I fell on two weeks ago, did it slowly, and it's back! This is a move that I can get too relaxed with for my own good.

flo
01-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Where's Dani????