View Full Version : The Endless Search for a Coach

icesk8er31
01-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Ok, just taking a moment to vent here. I have been skating for 7 years now (in private lessons for 5.5 years) and have been through what seems like way too many coaches. My first coach moved abruptly (owing me 3 lessons that were pre-paid). My second coach had problems showing up for lessons (many times not bothering to call or even let me know - I'd just show up and no coach), so I switched to coach #3 - who was great until she started having problems with her home life and then my lessons because a chat fest instead of a skating lesson. Then I went to coach #4, who was great until she got pregnant, and then she stopped showing up or even bothering to cancel. She'd just wave on her way out of the rink, at best. Usually I and her other adult student would skate the entire session, just figuring out along the way that we weren't getting a lesson. I got an interim coach (#5) then, who was just not right for me (her main coaching advice to "get some balls and just do the jump, spin, whatever). Skated a bit with Coach #3 while waiting for Coach #4 to return from the baby. Back to Coach #4 after the baby, but it was never the same, and then she got pregnant again and quit coaching for good. Then I went to Coach #6, who was PERFECT in every way, and I made the most progress I've ever made, but she moved with her husband to a place 6 hours away. Then I spent a while with no coach and finally picked up a new coach (#7 for those of you who are keeping count) a couple of months ago. I just got an email from her saying she can no longer do my lessons due to a schedule conflict. I'm in coaching hell. Has anyone else been through this or am I just jinxed? And the worst thing is, I think I'm back to the coaching drawing board. The only other coaches at my rink are 1) an ice dance coach (I'm freestyle), 2) a hockey coach (um, no), 3) a coach for beginners (doesn't teach above toe and sal that I have seen) 4) a coach I've let go in the past for not showing up, etc. Grrrrrrrr...the frustration!

edited for grammar.

Stormy
01-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Well, if it makes you feel better, I've been through at least 8 coaches in my 11 year skating history! :) I wont' go into all the various reasons, but situations like that probably aren't uncommon. With the options you have, perhaps have a real good talk with the coach you let go before about not showing up and that it's unprofessional and so on. Good luck! :)

TashaKat
01-03-2005, 02:53 PM
I can't help I'm afraid but I hope that you can sort something out. I 'gave up' (though I still don't accept that I've given up if that makes sense) because I came back after breaking my wrist to find that one coach wasn't teaching because of personal problems and the other had given my lessons away! There was nobody else that I would take lessons from so I stopped skating because I need something to work towards and felt all aimless because I wasn't learning anything new.

I very much regret giving up, I was working towards 4 tests (including Inter-Silver (whatever it's called now) Compuslories). It would take me AGES to get back to that stage again now. Unfortunately my circumstances (and geography) have changed so I don't have the facilities or time to skate like I used to skate before :frus: :cry:

Good luck and I hope that something turns up for you soon :D

Melzorina
01-03-2005, 03:12 PM
When I wanted lessons with my instructor, he didn't have any slots, so I only had a lesson when somebody else didn't turn up, and when someone quit, it became my slot. I made him promise that he'd teach me forever and ever. I know it won't happen, but it's nice anyway. I hope I never have to switch instructors...

CanAmSk8ter
01-03-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm also on coach #8 I think (I've kind of lost count- I've been skating for 12 years). The longest I was with any one coach was three years and ten months. Some of the changes were due to scheduling/ice time/rink issues, some were my choice, two were due to transferred spouses. It's never easy- even the ones that were my choice weren't easy- but I've found it's always turned out to be for the best in the long run.

I don't really have any advice for you, unfortunately. The only thing I could think of would be to look for coaching at another rink, even if you could only commute there once or twice a week for lessons and continue to practice at your current rink.

Good luck, and keep the faith. You'll find someone who's good for you.

NCSkater02
01-03-2005, 07:35 PM
I guess I'm lucky--in my year and a half of privates, I've only had one coach.

My first year of group, on the other hand, was he11. After about the first four or five months, I had different coaches every other week. Since they changed so much, there was no consistancy at all. I'd learn something one way one week, then have it completely contradicted the next. I even had one coach that tried to teach us 11 different skills in 30 minutes. Might work for attention-span challenged kids, but not me. For a while, I essentially worked on my own because, as the skate school director said, "she likes to work by herself." I was lumped in with the kids who needed all the attention, so they got it all and it seemed like I liked to work alone.

For the last two years of skate school, I've had the same coach, and she fills in when my private coach is gone. I've even been mostly by myself, so I'm getting private coaching at group rates. :D Can't beat that with a stick!

mikawendy
01-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Have you considered asking the dance coach whether he/she would be willing to coach you in freestyle (and/or moves)? I know that some coaches who specialize in dance are able to coach in freestyle. You might explain your situation and ask whether the dance coach would be willing to try this on a trial basis, if he or she has ever had experience coaching freestyle.

Good luck! What a predicament to be in!

icedancer2
01-03-2005, 08:13 PM
I think we can all feel your pain at some level. Establishing a relationship with a coach can be a very emotional and sometimes painful experience, especially when for some reason it doesn't work out or they move on or whatever.

You have to remember that a lot of coaches are young and are maybe just coaching to put themselves through college, or for something to do until their "real life" reveals itself. I'm guessing that although it may seem like they make a lot of money (because they charge so much per hour of our money!) it isn't such a lucrative profession, and even if it is, the hours are pretty horrendous -- early mornings, late nights, during dinner and on weekends -- no wonder they move on! The burnout must be terrible!

That said, maybe you need to take some time to just skate, or get involved with some other activity at your rink or club, or think about learning ice-dance (fun! - plus you mentioned an ice-dance coach) or save up and go to the USFS training camp or something. Something will come along when it is right. I have been amazed sometimes at how things change at rinks -- someone will move into an area and start teaching and it will be just right for you -- you never know who is going to show up -- just stay open to all of the new possibilities!

Have fun and happy skating! :)

Chico
01-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Hi,

I've had three coaching changes in my skating "career". And, I've learned something with all of them. So changing wasn't great, but learning from different folks was. In fact, I was in near hysterics over this issue about 6 months or so. Changing and working with someone new is hard. You miss your old coach and the new coach isn't someone your familiar with. But, change is part of life. Anyhow, this last change has been great for me. I respect my new coaches teaching, she respects me as a student and I'm learning a ton in a positive happy manner. If I could have only known this 6 months or so ago! Is it possible to work at a new rink with new coaches? Maybe a new coach could come to you? Don't give up and be positive. Maybe the best is being "saved" for next time.

Chico

md2be
01-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Getting more and more common: have coach sign a "contract."

flo
01-04-2005, 03:24 PM
I've been in private lessons since '89. My first coach left to choreograph for Dorothy H, (go figure), second one was wonderful, but sadly died, and I've been with the third for around 12+ years. I've had some temp coaches here and there, (while in other areas and when the primary one was not available). Now, although I take from my primary coach, I also have lessons from a coach at club, and am working with another choreographer for my current program. We both agree that it's good to be exposed to different coaches, and it also works out time wise as very often one of them is at a competition or otherwise unavailable. One thing I always do is to make sure I let the primary coach know of my plans, and that the other coach also knows. This way there are no misunderstandings and feelings do not get injured.

Terri C
01-04-2005, 07:25 PM
One thing I always do is to make sure I let the primary coach know of my plans, and that the other coach also knows. This way there are no misunderstandings and feelings do not get injured.

That is the way any skater should be working out lessons with another coach besides their own, according to the PSA Code of Ethics. If the skater doesn't tell the primary coach, then it's a major violation of ethics and that is where you get the stories of "solciting" from!

Coaching wise, I've had the same coach for going on 6 years now. she had been great, working with what can somtimes be my crazy work schedule, as well as my going on my 4 year battle to move to Bronze!

Blosmbubbs
01-05-2005, 12:24 AM
I was teaching a pre alpha level skater. She and her mother went out of the country. I would call the mother and get no response. Then our rink closed down and a few months after that I saw the girl skating at our other rink. I approched her and asked hey how have you been and are you taking lessons as in group lessons. She said yes and one of my coaches comes up and starts giving her a lesson. I told him hey I taught her before and they just went off and I said have fun. I since haven't talked about it with him and don't know if the girl is still skating. So....what does everyone think?

starskate6.0
01-05-2005, 07:19 AM
It is a fact there are some coaches out there who feel that Adults are not very serious about there skating and are just in it for the fun. But the truth is far deeper for us than some coaches realize.

I am very luck to skate in a rink where Adult skaters are looked at in a manner equal to the Highest level skater on the ice, and your money is as good as the next Olympic champion, The lesson time is the same, If you want it, and the interest in ones goals are not ignored, laughed about or put aside as being just a fleeting moment of stardum.

Each day in my rink is an uplifting experiance from the attitude of my coaches, I am constintly asked, " when would you like to skate again", or send an e-mail and we will set up your next lesson, I am never put aside because some young skater wants my lesson spot.

I take from 4 or 5 coaches at the same time, some for spins others for jumps and another for foot work etc, but all of them know me well enough that i pay good money for a coach that will help me to achieve anything I believe I can be done, with no ,if's ands or but's. " We are the Employer"

What Im geting at is that a qualified coach is not alway's the former Olympian but often it is the one who has the right attitude to believe in you.

I think this is the coach you should be looking for. :D

we all have fun, but we also want to achieve our goals no matter how small they may be, thats what keeps us on the ice. :D

" The greatest risk in life is not taking one. "

Lmarletto
01-05-2005, 10:19 PM
I was teaching a pre alpha level skater. She and her mother went out of the country. I would call the mother and get no response. Then our rink closed down and a few months after that I saw the girl skating at our other rink. I approched her and asked hey how have you been and are you taking lessons as in group lessons. She said yes and one of my coaches comes up and starts giving her a lesson. I told him hey I taught her before and they just went off and I said have fun. I since haven't talked about it with him and don't know if the girl is still skating. So....what does everyone think?
I think most parents of beginning skaters have no idea what the "rules" are as far as changing coaches. In their minds, hiring a skating coach is little different from signing their kid up for dance lessons or a soccer program. It was rude of the mother not to return your calls, but I would bet she has no idea that she has put the other coach in what could be an awkward ethical situation. I don't know what your coach's obligation would be to question you about your relationship with this student once he found out you had coached her before. It could be that the mother described the end of that coaching relationship in a way that made him think there was no ethical issue. You should probably talk to him if it's bugging you. And you should probably talk to the mother if you want to know why she fired you without even giving you notice.

Casey
01-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Well I've signed up for public lessons and had my first one - it's a bit disappointing because everyone else in the class is very young, and they can't skate well at all. To the coaches credit, she does give me tips on how to refine the basic moves she's teaching beyond what is taught in the class; however I can't help but feel really out of place and that most of the short time is wasted.

Just like that feeling I had a while ago when skating on the cheap floppy skates with no support, it seems that this is inadequate, and I need to hire a coach for private lessons soon if I want to continue learning as much as I'd like.

There are 9 coaches willing to give lessons at my rink, and many of them are giving the public lessons. I've seen some of them several times teaching in either public or freestyle sessions, but not all, and I don't know how to judge. There are a couple good skaters that I've noticed use a coach that looks really competent, so I asked one of them who she was so I could put a name to the face. The woman I asked also sung praises of one of the other coaches that she had used previously, and my roomate knows him (the only one on the list he knows) meaning he's been around for a few years at least - he said that he was a good coach but can be difficult because he can be hard on pupils (which might be a good thing?).

I am going to ask around a bit more, because I don't want to rush into it, but what do you guys think I should be looking for? Are there any specifics to ask about? How does one normally go about interviewing a coach - are questions over telephone sufficient? How much time should I spend per session with a coach? How often should the sessions be?

I want to find a coach who will understand that I am serious about learning, and that I will practice everything she/he shows me in between sessions as much as possible. I need a coach who can explain to me the errors I'm making and make me understand what it is I am doing wrong and how I can correct them. One who is a perfectionist and knows that everything can always get better, but one who will not stay on one move I have trouble with for 2 months when I could be learning others at the same time.

fadedstardust
01-06-2005, 01:44 AM
I told you that public lessons wouldn't be a good fit for you, I could kind of tell from the way you were talking that you would feel out of place in them. I think it's great that you're looking for a private coach. The best thing is to be honest about what you are expecting from them, and honest about what you are willing to put into it. At your level, you don't need a high-ranked Olympic coach or anything, just someone good and patient who is willing to teach you the basics. I don't think you'll find many coaches willing to move on too soon to harder moves unless you've at least somewhat mastered them. Skating is a sport of repetition, be prepared, possibly, to do the exact same things for month at a time, with of course little variants here and there. But I mean if you NEED an element, then you need an element, and be prepared to work on it ad-nauseum, especially the basics! I STILL work on crossovers, like everyday. Just be open and honest and talk to the person who seems to "click" with you, and have a trial lesson before making ANY commitment. There's also nothing wrong with checking out a few coaches at the same time before picking one, as long as you're open about it with all of them. For you I would say start with two lessons a week, three if you're REALLY dedicated. 25-30 minute lessons are plenty of time, and you should expect them to run you anywhere between 30 to 40 dollars a lesson, depending on who you hire. Some people charge more, but you don't want that right now. Good luck!

backspin
01-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Ask at least 2 of the coaches for at least 2 "trial" lessons before committing to anyone long term--that way you have something to compare against. You'll probably find one who you click with better than the others.

ITA w/ fadedstardust re. repetition & not moving on too fast. For example, if your 3 turns aren't solid, then you will never have a decent jump entrance. As an example, I just spent an entire month doing nothing but simple exercises--stroking & edges--because my coach wanted me stronger & wanted a deeper knee bend than I was capable of at the time. I'm on my last silver dance & I skate 6 days a week. I got sooooo frustrated at first, but gradually felt myself getting stronger & just the other day I thanked him for making me do that! It has made such a difference.

So, know that we all have to constantly go back to the basics, to refine & keep taking our skating up to the next level.

And re. the original topic here, I changed coaches last May & I can sympathise w/ how heartbreaking it can be. It was very traumatic & I ended up having to go to another city a little over an hour away to find someone who was a good fit for me & my goals. But now looking back, this has been a very good change & I'm so glad things have worked out the way they did. I PRAY that this was my last coaching change & that my current coach will get me all the way through the rest of my skating career!

Best of luck to both of you, & I also second the idea of working w/ the dance coach for awhile--it will only make you a better skater!

Mrs Redboots
01-06-2005, 11:54 AM
As I've posted elsewhere, earlier this week I saw a group of elite ice dancers working on forward and backwards stroking, with their coach yelling at them about their free legs, kneebend, hand positions, etc...... "And they needed it!" said their coach afterwards.

And one skater of my acquaintance told of overhearing a coach really yelling at their skater about his lack of kneebend - she looked round to see who should have known better, to find it was (I think) Brian Boitano!

So even the elites need to practice their basic elements regularly and under supervision. You can never, never, never work too much on your edges and turns.

TashaKat
01-06-2005, 12:25 PM
It is a fact there are some coaches out there who feel that Adults are not very serious about there skating and are just in it for the fun. But the truth is far deeper for us than some coaches realize.

Unfortunately that is true of some coaches but I have to say that my two coaches treated me exactly the same as they treated the kids. In some ways they sometimes treated me TOO seriously and I occasionally lost the fun of it because I was working towards tests and more tests. Saying that, though, ultimately I wouldn't have had it any other way. I got to a stage where not many adult starters get to, I was working for FOUR tests before I broke my wrist, one of them the Inter-Silver Compulsories which not all the kids do. They were fabulous coaches, it was unfortunate that fate stuck it's beak in and ended it.

I once discussed the adult skaters thing with my male dance coach. He freely admitted that he used to be prejudiced against adult skaters (he was a national champion) but soon came to realise that adults skate because they WANT to skate and will put the hours of practise in. So many kids (though not all) are made to skate long after they want to pack it in.

One argument that 'non adult friendly' coaches use is that adults are never going to amount anything. As my coach said neither are 99.9% of the kids. What percentage of skaters get to the National Championships? Europeans? Worlds? The Olympics? Put like that coaches wouldn't have hardly any pupils if they worked on a 'potential results' basis.

Of course there is also the financial aspect of adults tending to have the disposable income to skate and once they get hooked with carry on for years and years whereas kids tend to rely on their parents to keep stumping up the money. In a family with more than a couple of kids (and my rink wasn't exactly in a wealthy area) things can become tight and skating lessons can be one of the first things to suffer.

Adults are for life, not just Christmas :)

starskate6.0
01-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Tashakate

" Well Put" :bow:

sk8pics
01-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Given some of the testimonials about good coaches (and in light of some of the descriptions of not-so-good coaches) I want to share the story of my coach's recent Christmas present to me: a navy blue sweatshirt with TEAM USA embroidered on the back, and my name embroidered on the front, so that "when you go to that competition in Germany, people will know where you're from." sniffle. A great coach who takes me seriously. :bow:

Pat

Blosmbubbs
01-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Cool Pat go and kick some butt!!!!! :halo: