View Full Version : Starting over ..AGAIN?

starskate6.0
01-01-2005, 10:15 PM
I have just passed my Adult gold moves and Freestyle . Since I have never tested on the regular track I am told that if I want to do that Ill have to start at bottom again at square 1. Can someone tell me if this is correct and If so, whats the first test. :?: :roll:

NoVa Sk8r
01-01-2005, 10:40 PM
The info supplied to you is incorrect.
Check this out from the USFSA website and scroll down to see the color-coded diagram:
http://usfsa.org/Shell.asp?sid=18954

You can proceed directly to intermediate MIF.

Gold MIF/FS is the only "crossover" point in the testing realm.

Good luck; but remember, if you pass intermediate FS, you will have to compete in masters.

skaternum
01-02-2005, 08:08 AM
And once again it's time for my occasional reminder, because I'm a fussbudget about this:
everyone testing or competing in USFSA needs to get a rulebook and use it! I'm constantly amazed at the amount of misinformation that gets spread around this sport via rumors and even boards like this. The rulebook isn't the friendliest thing in the world, but it sure can save us a lot of trouble.

End of plug. We now return to our regular programming. Thank you for your indulgence. :P

starskate6.0
01-02-2005, 03:57 PM
The info supplied to you is incorrect.
Check this out from the USFSA website and scroll down to see the color-coded diagram:
http://usfsa.org/Shell.asp?sid=18954

You can proceed directly to intermediate MIF.

Gold MIF/FS is the only "crossover" point in the testing realm.

Good luck; but remember, if you pass intermediate FS, you will have to compete in masters.

Thanks NoVa

The plan is to skate masters one day. :D

starskate6.0
01-02-2005, 04:01 PM
And once again it's time for my occasional reminder, because I'm a fussbudget about this:
everyone testing or competing in USFSA needs to get a rulebook and use it! I'm constantly amazed at the amount of misinformation that gets spread around this sport via rumors and even boards like this. The rulebook isn't the friendliest thing in the world, but it sure can save us a lot of trouble.

End of plug. We now return to our regular programming. Thank you for your indulgence. :P

8O Hey , no harm in asking, My real job is very stressfull and requires me to read a lot of technical publications on a daily bases, I thought it might be more fun to ask a friend than to read another book, I love to skate and want to make it as much fun as possible , .
:cry: I get tired of reading. No offence ment. :??

starskate6.0
01-02-2005, 04:03 PM

8O Hey , no harm in asking, My real job is very stressfull and requires me to read a lot of technical publications on a daily bases, I thought it might be more fun to ask a friend than to read another book, I love to skate and want to make it as much fun as possible , .
:cry: No offence ment but I get tired of reading :??

skaternum
01-02-2005, 04:13 PM
None taken. :) It's just that every time I turn around I hear about somebody else getting the wrong info, and it really bothers me. You're just going about your business trying to do the right thing, but somebody tells you something completely wrong about testing or competing. The only way to combat that is to know the rules. Like I said, I'm a fussbudget. I hate to hear of people being told a load of crap, especially somebody who's genuinely trying to do the right thing.

Party on.

flo
01-03-2005, 09:22 AM
There is lots of confusing info out there, and while it can be a good source, unfortunately because of it's orginazation, the rulebook is not the easiest to muddle through and find specific information. With all the recent changes in the adult program, the rulebook is also not often not up to date. Usually the website is better, but I was looking for pair information (from the October meeting) this weekend, and even the site was not yet updated. Althought many issues at the meeting will not take effect until next September, there were specific changes in place immediately. I've found a good source of current info is direct from the USFSA, via e-mail (however I have also been provided with incorrect information this way as well). Grr.

climbsk8
01-03-2005, 09:33 AM
I would also encourage ALL adult skaters to check out the USFigureSkating website for upcoming changes to moves in the field requirements. Most, if not all, are going to be welcome news for skaters, but they're not implemented yet, as far as I know. So, this means that your rulebook could soon be outdated.

skaternum
01-03-2005, 09:48 AM
I agree, flo, that the rulebook isn't the easiest to use, but it's still the rulebook. :) It's the place to start. It's going to get outdated every single year, so you have to replace its guts every year, which I consider part of "doing business" in this sport. The website is much better than it used to be, but it still doesn't completely replace the rulebook. Aside from the "effective immediately" changes, the website only supplements the rulebook and explains some of the stuff in usable detail.

If you don't know the rules, how can you understand the changes?

And of course, more than a few people have been confused by the posting on the website of proposed rule changes. I still say that everybody needs to get a rulebook and use it. At least it's a start!

InsideAxel
01-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Its too bad USFSA didn't offer the CD version of the rulebook this year...having an electronic and searchable version must have been way too convenient. ;)

C'ya!

Kelton

flo
01-03-2005, 11:21 AM
A CD would be great. Most of the frustration with the rulebook is it's organization. A searchable Cd would be great. For the last few years the rulebook has been far behind the adult changes - primarily with pair rules. By the time it has been printed and distributed, it's out of date. The rule book is a good place to start, but I'd like to see a section on the website of current rules and proposed rules. Often the path to rules and those comming out of the meeting are difficult to find after the first month, when the link is on the news section.