View Full Version : Adult pairs--tips, advice, and other sundry items

NoVa Sk8r
02-28-2005, 10:51 PM
This is a continuation of the pairs topics that were in the Easterns thread.

<snip>
When we finally try the on-ice platter, Loops will be in a harness, so that will remove most of the danger. We actually tried to do a press lift (I think it was press?) many moons ago on the ice with Loops in the harness. It was a very strange feeling, and we haven't returned to it. IIRC, I had a hard time getting down in my knees. Maybe since this has become so much easier off ice, we can attempt it again on ice?

Me, intense? Nah, I'm a gentle soul. I've not lived in New York since 1996, so all my Yankee vim and vigor has attenuated to some degree.

We skate for 1.5 hours on freestyle ice on Sunday, a 2-hour uncrowded public session on Wed. night (we do pairs the second half of the session), and 45 minutes on a Fri. morning freestyle (with a 20-min. lesson included). We skate mostly in Fairfax Ice Arena; she lives maybe 5-10 minutes from there, and I live 15-20 minutes away. There are plenty of rinks in this area so we usually have a back-up rink when eville hockey subverts the figure skating schedule. We're in different clubs (she = SC of Northern Virginia; I = Washington FSC).

Yuck. We were supposed to get hammered here, but didn't. It snowed a bit all day, but most didn't stick. Then it mostly melted (I live just south of the Beltway), then it snowed hard for a bit, then i went skating (with only a few other skaters on the ice), and it had rained a bit. The roads were fine. So much for that 6-10 inches.

NoVa Sk8r
02-28-2005, 11:04 PM
wow lifts in the harness,
we never tried that, but i can say that the down in the knees thing will be the cause of Loops wanting to use that well polished knife collection. we can't jump over a human pommel horse that is 6 feet tall!!Yes, that was my bad (isn't everything that goes wrong my fault?). But it's hard to bend down in skates when you're used to doing it easy breezy in sneakers. And she is not supposed to be jumping over anything in a press lift!

Press lift...supposed to be the safest. It's the one our coach wanted to do first, but we were more comfortable with the platter and star. We are anxious to go back to the lifts that we abandon because they were not selected for the program.Ooh, maybe you could show us your technique on the star lift? I like this lift but don't quite have the gist of it.

Please let me know how the press lift goes.I think we'll wait till after nationals before even thinking about attempting this (or really any non-program-related items)! We've modified our wrist grip for the press, so I think we'll do better on this. Overhead lifts are not really my thing. I like the spins--side by side and together (except the pair sit--my body somehow refuses to learn this. :?? )--as well as anything that showcases flexibility or extension. I like trying to get my 6'-tall body to demonstrate good line. When Loops and I do this together, I think it looks grand. 8-)

Should we start a pairs thread? Redirect me if you do.
uh oh...guess no physical therapy tommorrow....oh did i mention that body parts are starting to fall off by now?Instead of awarding medals in the pair events, the organizers should think about chiropractic and/or massage sessions! :D

flo
03-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Hi,
I liked the overheads. Also, I did jump up into them to help out my partner.
We actually did not try them first in the harness, but it may be a good idea. We did use the harness for the split double twist and throw double axels.
With pairs we both felt that most of the time the harness just gets in the way, and I got twisted in the ropes!

skaternum
03-01-2005, 09:25 AM
But it's hard to bend down in skates when you're used to doing it easy breezy in sneakers.Okay, this just sounds like whining now. ;)

And she is not supposed to be jumping over anything in a press lift!Actually, for the woman, it is jumping "over" the man. If we just jumped straight up, we'd never get over your heads. We start far apart, but end up directly over each other -- somebody's got to aim for "over!" That'd be the woman.

I like trying to get my 6'-tall body to demonstrate good line. When Loops and I do this together, I think it looks grand.Indeed it does!

skaternum
03-01-2005, 09:32 AM
With pairs we both felt that most of the time the harness just gets in the way, and I got twisted in the ropes!David and I tried the press lift and the star lift in the harness -- yuck! We first tried them from a standstill. Because the harness is primarily a straight-up-and-down motion when you're not travelling, it was impossible for me to jump "over" him. (See post above.) Same problem with the star. I just kept knocking the back of my head against the rope! Perhaps it was just us; perhaps we truly are as spastic as all that, but the harness was no help to us. We managed to get the press overhead a couple of times without it, though.

NoVa Sk8r
03-01-2005, 09:44 AM
With pairs we both felt that most of the time the harness just gets in the way, and I got twisted in the ropes!I should say that our coach uses a pole instead of the harness, so that may alleviate some of the rope-twisting problems. (That sounds like a messed up marionette interp program!) At any rate, I don't see me learning any overhead lifts anytime soon; I don't feel secure or strong enough--yet. ...

skaternum
03-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Can I play too, even though we're taking a break from pairs for now? (Repeat after me: it's just a seaparation, not a divorce!)

"ok next poll , what kind of practice schedule do you keep., are you and your partners in the same club? how far so you have to travel?"

David & I are in the same club and skate at the same rink. We're at the Gold level in pairs, due to him foolishly passing the Juvenile freeskate 100 years ago. ;)

Up until 3 weeks ago <sniff>, we skated 2 mornings a week at a 1-hour long session. Part of that time was warming up & running through my singles programs, so we didn't have a full hour. We took only 1 lesson a month because he was paying off massive credit card debt, and we'd agreed when we started that it would be an equal partnership in all respects. We'd do whatever the Least Common Denominator could/would do in any situation. We worked lifts off-ice 3 days a week for about 15 minutes each day, prior to taking the ice.

And let me just say how proud I am of him paying off ALL his credit card debt!! It was huge, and he really buckled down and hit it hard. I'm so impressed that he did it!

NoVa Sk8r
03-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Actually, for the woman, it is jumping "over" the man. If we just jumped straight up, we'd never get over your heads. We start far apart, but end up directly over each other -- somebody's got to aim for "over!" It's jumping toward me, not over me. We tried the "over" once, and it didn't work.

LoopLoop
03-01-2005, 10:08 AM
I should say that our coach uses a pole instead of the harness, so that may alleviate some of the rope-twisting problems. (That sounds like a messed up marionette interp program!) At any rate, I don't see me learning any overhead lifts anytime soon; I don't feel secure or strong enough--yet. ...

We're going to have to use the harness, not the pole, for lifts. Honestly, can you see Nick holding me up that high via the pole? Throws, on the other hand...

flo
03-01-2005, 10:08 AM
By the way, since there are pair folks here, if anyone knows of a male pair skater who wants to do do the Germany competition, let me know. I'd like to go for more than one event.

LoopLoop
03-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Okay, this just sounds like whining now. ;)

What a shock! ;) ;)

LoopLoop
03-01-2005, 10:09 AM
By the way, since there are pair folks here, if anyone knows of a male pair skater who wants to do do the Germany competition, let me know. I'd like to go for more than one event.

Have you checked with Bill P?

flo
03-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Yes, last I checked he wasn't going.
Thanks!

NoVa Sk8r
03-01-2005, 10:30 AM
We're going to have to use the harness, not the pole, for lifts. Honestly, can you see Nick holding me up that high via the pole? Throws, on the other hand...Well just for the landing ... the inevitable crash landing that will almost certainly happen.

NoVa Sk8r
03-01-2005, 10:36 AM
By the way, since there are pair folks here, if anyone knows of a male pair skater who wants to do the Germany competition, let me know. I'd like to go for more than one event.Ooh, sounds like fun--wish I could go! (It would also be a treat to skate with a non-abusive pair partner, too.).

flo
03-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks Nova, We'll have to put a few years on you! I don't think there are any levels so there should be a good mix!
I promise to be on my best behavior :halo:

NoVa Sk8r
03-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks Nova, We'll have to put a few years on you! I don't think there are any levels so there should be a good mix!
I promise to be on my best behavior :halo:Well, tempus fugit. But I like being in the deserted class I for singles at nationals; I dread entering the class II field. There are too many good skaters in that division! But maybe they'll all be in class III by the time I'm in class II for 2012 nationals? ;)

"Best behavior" and adult pairs skating do NOT go hand-in-hand. :P

icecatepairs
03-01-2005, 10:23 PM
ok we are so not cool, i never got to fly like superman i the harness.but i can see how the rope thing coulod be scary. honestly we are really lucky our coach is so strong, his nickname os the big dog,,,so i guess that tells all. be happy to trade techniques after the comp in kansas. novaskater..you are way bigger than my partner. over the heads should be no problem, providing your back is ok. if you want i can shoot you the number of the company that i got my stim machine at. i love your massage coupon ideas. :P

ok ladies , can anyone sympathize with the ribs that feel like you were mugged that you get when you don't do death spirals for a while, then start again. we took a week off of pairs after sectionals due to a hip injury on my part. now i'm still sore from saturdays death spirals!!ouch. :cry:

we are not going to germany becsause i am a cradle robber and my partner was not old enough by the deadline!!so see you all in kansas ans france

brewser ice arena is having an adult only comp. sept 24, and pairs are encoraged!!!! check scofbrewster on the web for more details. would love a great pairs turnout.

andrea cooper has tried t o email craig mazzuri about a pairs group at camp at icehouse in june...anyone interested in seeing if we have enough for this?

NoVa Sk8r
03-01-2005, 10:51 PM
novaskater..you are way bigger than my partner. over the heads should be no problem, providing your back is ok. if you want i can shoot you the number of the company that i got my stim machine at. i love your massage coupon ideas. :P Ah, that's good to hear; there's hope for me yet. It's probably just a glimmer of hope, yet it exists. Actually, I don't think I'm all that big--not for a pair skater. I'm "only" 6 feet tall and weigh 178 lb. But maybe that's enough. The hard part is that Loops is tall herself, and she has long arms. That makes the press a little more challenging. But perhaps our long arms make it more interesting as well.

My back is always the wild card.

brewser ice arena is having an adult only comp. sept 24, and pairs are encoraged!!!! check scofbrewster on the web for more details. would love a great pairs turnout.Ooh, that's exciting indeed. The Brewster rink is only 20 minutes away from my folks' house. I'll have to pencil in this competition; it'll be 3 weeks after the Peach Classic. You and Jason should join us in Atlanta!

andrea cooper has tried to email craig mazzuri about a pairs group at camp at icehouse in june...anyone interested in seeing if we have enough for this?Another exciting proposition. I hope this pans out. There's also that adult pairs camp in July in Chicago, so some may elect to go to that instead ...

LoopLoop
03-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Hey Tara, do you want to take a stab at contact Craig about adding a pairs track to the Hackensack camp?

As for sizes, NoVa's not all that big (or small), but I'm 5'7" with long arms and legs, so our leverage is challenging to say the least. But I think it makes our death spiral look good!

NoVa, if we go compete at Brewster can I stay with your parents too? (Remember, they love me!)

NoVa Sk8r
03-02-2005, 08:59 AM
NoVa, if we go compete at Brewster can I stay with your parents too? (Remember, they love me!)Yup; we can stay with my folks. Guess I should go and make amends with them? ;)

My mom is always asking when I'm next competing so she can come and watch. I keep telling her that I no longer compete (HA!). She will be tickled pink if I tell her that I'm competing in Brewster. Ah, the return to lovely Putnam County, NY. 8-)

LoopLoop
03-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Yup; we can stay with my folks. Guess I should go and make amends with them? ;)
Perhaps a visit home for Easter weekend might be in order.

NoVa Sk8r
03-02-2005, 09:42 AM
Perhaps a visit home for Easter weekend might be in order.So I can be reminded what a bad little Catholic I am? NO THANKS!

Nah, I still think I'm my mom's favorite. (Take that, 5 siblings!)

Terri C
03-02-2005, 10:07 AM
So I can be reminded what a bad little Catholic I am? NO THANKS!

There are some people here who can help you through that! :P

NoVa Sk8r
03-02-2005, 01:17 PM
There are some people here who can help you through that! :PI'm sure of that. But skating pairs is my penance. :halo:

icecatepairs
03-02-2005, 11:12 PM
hi everyone.
hey novask8ter, I guess we will both be waiting on line at the pearly gates with some explaining to do. My thoughts on easter sunday...its so close to nationals ...hmm where can we find ice...don't laugh we almost ended up getting our program done on thanksgiving morning...at least we already had the day off work. But seriously if you and loops come down that weekend, let me know and i'll talk to you about what is available. :D
Loops, I would be happy to give it a try with craig mazzuri. i think they are concerned that the group would be to small. but I'll try. I will have to get his email through andrea. I don't have it anymore.

Georgia sounds like fun. I didn't compete much this year even in singles becaseu it was a scramble to get ready fr our first season in pairs. will have to checkwith the other half first.

back to lifts. Nova skster if you pm me I will give you jasons email and he can go over some of the stuff he did off ice to build strength. he works with a great trainer. I've been to her once. she actually predicted my hip injury before it happened based on observation of how i use my muscles. he really got great results with what he did in a short period of time. he is actually about the same size as you but i think i am shorter than loops. but despite my truck like entrances and exits as well as bad body position, he has never dropped me. :bow:

ok going to soak myy sore body and get ready for tommorrow am...skate well and stay well all.....

:D

NoVa Sk8r
03-02-2005, 11:28 PM
hey novask8ter, I guess we will both be waiting on line at the pearly gates with some explaining to do. My thoughts on easter sunday...its so close to nationals ...hmm where can we find ice...don't laugh we almost ended up getting our program done on thanksgiving morning...at least we already had the day off work. But seriously if you and loops come down that weekend, let me know and i'll talk to you about what is available. :D I'm as pure as the driven-through, oops I mean driven :P , snow! Yup, I won't be driving to NY on Easter. I've got a competition on March 13 in Maryland, then there's a club nationals sendoff coming up (maybe on Easter?), plus a few parties in DC interspersed in between :D .
Actually, my home rink has freestyles listed on Easter Sunday. What better way to celebrate the Resurrection of Christ than by skating? ;) Hmmm...

Georgia sounds like fun. I didn't compete much this year even in singles becaseu it was a scramble to get ready fr our first season in pairs. will have to checkwith the other half first. The Peach Classic is a blast; last year, there were 2 gold teams and 3 silver teams signed up (one silver team withdrew, though).

back to lifts. NoVa sk8r if you pm me I will give you jasons email and he can go over some of the stuff he did off ice to build strength. he works with a great trainer. I've been to her once. she actually predicted my hip injury before it happened based on observation of how i use my muscles. he really got great results with what he did in a short period of time. he is actually about the same size as you but i think i am shorter than loops. but despite my truck like entrances and exits as well as bad body position, he has never dropped me. :bow: That would be super; I need help in the lift department. Any and every tip is much appreciated!

LoopLoop
03-03-2005, 09:13 AM
he is actually about the same size as you but i think i am shorter than loops. :D

Almost every female in skating is shorter than me! I'm 5'7" without skates. Oh, and you can email Craig Maurizi through the Ice House website I think.

flo
03-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Nova - where will you be in Maryland?
My former partner was under 6ft, and I'm around 5'2. It was ok - I just had to jump into many of the lifts.

NoVa Sk8r
03-03-2005, 10:01 AM
I'll be in lovely Bowie, MD, at the CRC comp (http://www.crcskating.org/crc_comp.html).

Nice early start times, eh?

Loops and Terri C are competing there as well.

flo
03-03-2005, 10:07 AM
We'll have to plan a time to get together for some pairs stuff.
Good luck with the competition!

NoVa Sk8r
03-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Nova skster if you pm me I will give you jason's email and he can go over some of the stuff he did off ice to build strength. he works with a great trainer.Thanks for the address. I have beaucoup de questions for him ...

iskatealot
03-05-2005, 09:58 AM
hi everyone.
My thoughts on easter sunday...its so close to nationals ...hmm where can we find ice...don't laugh we almost ended up getting our program done on thanksgiving morning...at least we already had the day off work. :D

Ha you guys have to LOOK for ice? Our rink is having skating show dress rehersal on Good Friday!! and the show the next day on easter weekend.........they expect people to show up??? :roll:

icecatepairs
03-06-2005, 10:21 PM
Novask8r...(what does that mean anyway) . no problem, he told me to give you his address so he could share his info. i don't even know what he did, but i knoe i bought him skating shirts for xmas becasue his are all too small to fit!! he must be doing something right becasue i am built like a truck and we progressed quickly in lifts. :bow:

iskatealot<
yeah easter will be a struggle. a few years a go a rink near us held a 2 hour freestyle session that was overun by all adults getting ready for nationals. it weird as easter is a religious holiday and a kot of people don't celebrate it. maybe we will find something. good luck with the ice show!

ok back to soaking my aching body. talk to you all soon. :giveup:

NoVa Sk8r
03-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Novask8r...(what does that mean anyway)My user name comes from my location: I live in Northern Virginia, which is abbreviated NoVa. My name does NOT come from the Spanish, No Va, meaning 'no go' or 'doesn't go.' Though that would be a more apt description of my skating! :D

no problem, he told me to give you his address so he could share his info. i don't even know what he did, but i know i bought him skating shirts for xmas because his are all too small to fit!! he must be doing something right because i am built like a truck, and we progressed quickly in lifts. :bow:OK, now that he knows that some weirdo is gonna write him, I'll go ahead and contact him. (Yay, something to do at work tomorrow!)

LoopLoop
03-07-2005, 08:39 AM
he must be doing something right becasue i am built like a truck and we progressed quickly in lifts. :bow:

PUH-leeze! You're tiny! Let's see what happens if he tries to lift me! (off-ice of course)

icecatepairs
03-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Loops,
according to my partner, both he and me coach agree that i am the heaviest "tiny " person they have lifted. i maybe small but i am packed like a truck, plus i try to muscle up the lifts instead of letting him lift me. so every adjustment i make is violent. i had to learn to really let him do the work. we just got the hang of that whole concept of using our hands for light balance not as a major part of survival. as soon as that clicked we were able to let go of our hand hold (on the floor anyway) suddenly i realized how much harder i made it by trying to help him!! but you have to really trust. its hard still not to want to jump ship when something goes wrong. ! 8-)

NoVa Sk8r
03-08-2005, 10:15 PM
i maybe small but i am packed like a truck, plus i try to muscle up the lifts instead of letting him lift me. so every adjustment i make is violent. i had to learn to really let him do the work. we just got the hang of that whole concept of using our hands for light balance not as a major part of survival. as soon as that clicked we were able to let go of our hand hold (on the floor anyway) suddenly i realized how much harder i made it by trying to help him!! but you have to really trust. its hard still not to want to jump ship when something goes wrong. ! 8-)Luckily, Loops doesn't let me do all the work. She shoulders a fair amount of the alley-oop.

"Letting go of the hand hold": Are you referring to the platter lift? We're getting better at the trust thing as well. Though I think Loops is too trusting at times. :P

icecatepairs
03-10-2005, 01:25 AM
Nova sk8r,
yeah the platter no handed and the star one handed on the ground only. its a good start anyway. hey i chhecked out franks thread. with me and j ,, you and loops, and maybe andrea and lee thats 6 people. anyone else you can contact to bring in maybe two more teams? we can spread the word in kansas. sounds like fun! 8-)

NoVa Sk8r
03-10-2005, 07:25 AM
Nova sk8r,
yeah the platter no handed and the star one handed on the ground only. its a good start anyway. hey i chhecked out franks thread. with me and j ,, you and loops, and maybe andrea and lee thats 6 people. anyone else you can contact to bring in maybe two more teams? we can spread the word in kansas. sounds like fun! 8-)Maybe Debbie & Tim will be game as well ...

MusicSkateFan
03-10-2005, 08:07 AM
Off topic but, hey NoVa Sk8r,

Is the Adult clinic in Aston, PA something that you go to? Is it worth the haul up there? It is the first sat in May...just wanted to ask...

NoVa Sk8r
03-10-2005, 09:01 AM
MSF,
I've never gone to that camp, but it sounds like it might be worth your while. (And actually, I was looking forward to reading reports after folks return from the clinic.)

I doubt I'll go. I've got adult nationals, as well as the Hackensack camp (in late June) or the pairs clinic in Chicago in July on my plate already!

-ST

LoopLoop
03-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Maybe Debbie & Tim will be game as well ...

I've emailed them as well as Andrea and Lee, and I'll update the other thread when I get responses.

NoVa Sk8r
03-11-2005, 05:07 PM
no problem, he told me to give you his address so he could share his info.Your partner totally ROCKS! He sent me an extensive e-mail detailing all his strengthening and lifting tips.

"So shines a good deed in a weary world." 8-)

icecatepairs
03-11-2005, 10:49 PM
:) novask8r,
i hope his info is useful for you and loops. i am going ask him to foward me a copy, I don't really know what he does. I just know it worked. It would be interesting to read. :lol:

NoVa Sk8r
03-11-2005, 11:39 PM
:) novask8r,
i hope his info is useful for you and loops. i am going ask him to foward me a copy, I don't really know what he does. I just know it worked. It would be interesting to read. :lol:Once he deletes all the "Tara-talk," then the e-mail won't nearly be as long! :P

What's great about his instructions are that they are clearly written, and I had no problem envisioning what I need to do at the gym (and envision will have to do for now--I injured my hip on Wed. night. :cry: Such is how it goes, right?)

I especially loved his request/suggestion at the end of a follow-up e-mail concerning you, him, Loops, and myself:
"In Kansas City, maybe we can do a 'fours' death spiral." 8-)

Yes, let's wow the crowd AND severely injure ourselves at the same time!!! :D

icecatepairs
03-14-2005, 10:52 PM
OK do I even want to know what he is saying aboput me in the email to you..."instructions on how to lift your bodybuilder partner who can't keep jher legs ion one place and has a death grip that leaves bruises" by J. spicer...Kidding...i hope....

ok a fours death spiral...is that like a swinger party where we swap partners ...does that mean you and j have to volunteer to have your skull close to the ice.

is there a chapter in his email entitled...you can't do a good throw axle when you don't let go of my hand you idiot ...also by the same author. :lol: ooops ...i guess i thought it would be safer to not let go...like a kid in a swimming lesson... :oops: ok we are ironing out that problem now. we really should all get together for dinner in kansas. we have some funny stories to tell...

hip injury...ouch ..nursing a bad one myself. had a cortisone shot after sectionals but really struggling in singles.,,is yours related to your back injury? i'm abput to go to the last resort...acupunture..or maybe i should just stick a toe pick in my brain.... :roll:

NoVa Sk8r
03-15-2005, 05:16 AM
OK do I even want to know what he is saying aboput me in the email to you..."instructions on how to lift your bodybuilder partner who can't keep jher legs ion one place and has a death grip that leaves bruises" by J. spicer...Kidding...i hope....

ok a fours death spiral...is that like a swinger party where we swap partners ...does that mean you and j have to volunteer to have your skull close to the ice.

is there a chapter in his email entitled...you can't do a good throw axle when you don't let go of my hand you idiot ...also by the same author. :lol: ooops ...i guess i thought it would be safer to not let go...like a kid in a swimming lesson... :oops: ok we are ironing out that problem now. we really should all get together for dinner in kansas. we have some funny stories to tell...

hip injury...ouch ..nursing a bad one myself. had a cortisone shot after sectionals but really struggling in singles.,,is yours related to your back injury? i'm abput to go to the last resort...acupunture..or maybe i should just stick a toe pick in my brain.... :roll:Haha. There's much love from J concerning you and him skating together.

My hip injury is from landing a flying camel incorrectly. By 'incorrectly,' I mean landing with my hip slamming on the ice. :(
I was able to skate on Sunday in a competition thanx to painkillers, but I'm on the mend. I even had to forgo my adult public skate last night. <sigh>

icecatepairs
03-15-2005, 09:24 PM
ok, i won't tell j that you let me know he had good stuff to say...we both have our less than charming moments a 6:30 am! so we're both type a personality on the ice....hmm...who would have guessed!

called the acupuncturist today...pending insurance ok i am going to volunteer to be a human pincushion for thre sake of skating! :roll: i'll let you know how it goes. sorry you missed your sunday session...i scheduled my cortisone shot around outr pairs schedule 8O crazy huh?

NoVa Sk8r
03-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Yup, J is very nice. He must be a bundle of nerves with his novice moves test tomorrow! That's one test I can only aspire to take.

You are Type A? I wouldn't have guessed! :D

I was able to skate this morning, but in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have. I spent most of the time rechoreographing my program (yet again) to make it more difficult. (I've got no axel, so I need some other flashy tricks!)

I mostly cannot do the camel (my favorite element and the main element that keeps me from quitting skating) or the loop jump, since those hurt my hip. I made it to the doctor today, and I'm feeling much better. I hope to get a good night's sleep so I can be well-rested to skate with Loops tomorrow. It's been a week since we've skated--gasp!