View Full Version : End-of-Year Wrap-up/Reflections

NoVa Sk8r
12-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Today is the final day of 2004, and on my way back from the rink this morning, I was thinking about what type of year 2004 was. Last year, I had resolved to quit skating in 2004, and, er, move on with my life. That resolution didn't last long. :P

So here is what I've accomplished this year:

-Finally moved up to silver level, with my first freestyle performance at the New Year's Invitational. I'd had a silver program since mid-2003, but didn't feel like competing (or couldn't compete) in 2003, having made the transition from bronze to silver.

-Competed in silver FS in 5 other competitions (Washington FSC comp in Feb., local/regional CRC in March, Hershey in August, Peach Classic in Sept., and Halloween Open in Oct.). I finally captured the gold at the Halloween event. And, most important, I figured how to keep my nerves in check and just go out there and sell a program. Peach '04 will always be special for me because I did a near-perfect performance.

-Passed silver moves (after *only* 3 tries 8-) ) and silver FS.

-Started pair lessons in February with Loops. Put together a program and began to compete in August at the Hershey event, with 2 subsequent competitions at Peach and Halloween events.

-Learned pair elements on ice that I thought would be too difficult. Off ice, learned platter, press, and star lifts.

-Learned--sometimes the hard way--how to juggle singles and pairs lessons/skating. At one point, I was skating 7 times/week. Gack! And as it's obvious to state that singles helps pairs, pairs has really helped my singles skating.

-Put together a decent pairs holiday performance despite injury; lack of available ice; and at times, lack of will.

-Participated in USFS Adult Training Camp in Hackensack, NJ, at the end of June. Met lots of great people, learned some new techniques, and was fortunate to take a couple of pair lessons with John Zimmerman.

-Learned a few new spin positions and got back my flying camel.

-Lost 15 pounds, for good or bad.

-Learned/realized that I do not have to have an axel to consider myself a 'real' skater; that I can win without an axel; and that I have other talents on the ice, such as flexibility and good spins.

-Made some progress working on axel and double salchow.

-Garnered enough courage to revisit the double flip, the jump that caused my right blade to fall off my boot in October '03. I don't really think I'll ever land this jump consistently, but it was a huge confidence booster to even work on it in lessons (and I have the bruises to prove it!).

Anyone else have a decent 2004?

Terri C
12-31-2004, 11:23 AM
NoVa,
Sounds like you did more that me, but here goes my reflections of 2004:

It started off with a close win at New Year's Invitational in January. I won Pre Bronze freeskate and came in second in Bronze MIF.

That win gave me confidence, and really, I was a little too cocky going to Central Carolina Classic. Note to self: Don't compete on your birthday. I came in fourth at the event in the freeskate and skated compulsories for the first and last time.

Got badly needed new boots and broke them in just in time to go to the Adult Camp in NJ that NoVa and Loops were at.
At that time, also started on a new freeskate program, with FOOTWORK. Spent the ENTIRE summer working on footwork.

All that work on the footwork paid off at the Halloween Classic, where my footwork was not bad, but the spins were. Oh well, it was the first time out for the new program.

I ended this year on a high note:
This morning at 7:20, after a 2 week hiatus from skating it, I skated my freeskate cleanly!!! :D :D

jp1andOnly
12-31-2004, 11:30 AM
My end of the year wrap up includes another year of my MS not flaring up. WOOT! Just a couple little hiccups but no real big attacks.

I started back at skating for real in Jan (i bought skates in Nov and skated by myself about 4-5 times before deciding to commit again) Got myself a couple of awesome coaches, made a lot of new friends.

Competed in March at the first Canadian adult championships with less than 3 months of practice. Captured the bronze which felt so amazing.

Managed to get all my singles back from when I quit when I was 14. Managed to improve all aspects of my skating.

Did a two foot landed axel and double loop. Hey, its a start.

Passed my junior bronze freeskate..woohoo. This was a big one for me as my test results fo it were really good.

Am still enjoying skating and will be competing several times this year.

It's been a blast and I am so lucky to be skating that I enjoy every single day of it.

On the downside.....I'm poor :)

Mrs Redboots
12-31-2004, 03:00 PM
JP, I'm so happy your MS is in remission - long may it stay that way!

As for me, I think I've got faster (definitely, actually). I can now skate backwards with a fair amount of speed, and occasionally even finding an edge. I can do semi-okay back cross-rolls, and even "proper" back crossovers. I am beginning to be able to spin, but not yet reliably. I can even turn at speed as long as I have a partner!

Husband and I have done our first "real" free dance, and developed a dance spin that improves daily. We can't quite manage lifts or a pairs spin yet, but hope to do that next year. Husband passed his Level 3 Dance moves.

We competed at several competitions: the Mountain Cup, the Bracknell Adult Open, the British Adult Championships and the Scottish Championships. But we were last every time... it is becoming a triumph of hope over experience. Maybe 2005 will be the year we finally make it.... then again, maybe it won't. But who cares? It's such fun to try, and we are improving very fast just now.

Happy New Year to you all!

Debbie S
12-31-2004, 04:32 PM
I think this is the 3rd year we've had this thread. :)

Here is last year's:
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=12051

My goals for this year were:
1. Improve spins and turns, land the harder jumps, etc.
2. Do well in my first competition - the Washington D.C New Years comp.
3. Pass Pre-Bronze MIF and FS
4. Compete in my first Bronze comp and try not to finish last

Hmmm, how I did:

1. Yep, I've managed to make progress on expanding my repertoire, especially over the past few weeks. Last night, I landed a bunch of loop-toe combos and even some almost-fully-rotated flips. Woohoo!
2. Yep, got 3rd at New Year's, with 2 judges placing me 1st. Unfortunately, my performances at Wilmington and Halloween did not match that. :(
3. Yep! Passed them in May. :D
4. This was, of course, contingent on my achieving goal #3. And yes, I competed at Skate Wilmington in July (they had Pre-Bronze for the first time but they set the program time limit to 1:10, and my program is 1:39). I managed to land a loop (well, sorta) for the first time in comp and I tried a camel-sit. Unfortunately, I did finish last.

For 2005:
1. Land loop, flip, and lutz consistently. Of course, I will have to learn the lutz first. And get a combo with a loop on the back end (sal-loop, loop-loop, etc.).
2. Improve spins, especially camel-sit. And get more than 2 revs in position on my backspin.
3. Pass Bronze MIF and FS.
4. Do well at New Year's, and try to compete Bronze at Chesapeake Open and/or Wilmington and not finish last. :)
5. Get a new program. My coach suggested this a few weeks ago, so I'm in the process of looking for music.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Mel On Ice
12-31-2004, 06:05 PM
thanks for posting the link to last year's thread

Goals:
pass FS3
pass Bronze MIF
pass Bronze free
land the loop, flip, lutz
figure out the exit on the backspin
get more revs on the camel (I'm up to 2 1/2!)
get another USFSA competition medal
finish my artistic program; have loads of fun with it
to NOT swear on the ice after I screw something up

pass Freestyle 3, bronze MIF and bronze free - check!
land loop - check!
exit on backspin - check!
more revs on camel (on a good day, about 4) - check!
get another USFSA comp medal - check!
finish my artistic program - check!
not swearing on the ice - er :twisted: we still need to work on that...

I guess the only skating goals I didn't fufill were the flip and lutz, but those, along with freestyle 4 are on the 2005 list.

I feel like I accomplished alot this year, including the decision to continue skating synchro on my terms and not let someone else ruin the experience for me. And one big step that was not on my list for 2004 was beginning the process of becoming a test/competition judge. Another was performing a solo in my club's Christmas Show - it was wonderful and I wish I had tried it sooner.

Highlights of the year included competing at Mids in synchro, winning gold at the ISI Adult Championships, and winning my first USFSA bronze level gold in compulsories, artistic and freestyle. Other non-goal oriented highlights included meeting a great group of adult skaters that I have become tight with, another adult skater in KY who is like a long-lost sister, making small talk with Amber Corwin at Governing Council because she remembered me from last year.

Lowlights, of course there are some, but I prefer to focus on the positives. Let's just say I learned plenty from those lowlights, and have to be strong enough to learn from them.

As for my goals for 2005, some of them cannot be mentioned here *yet* as I have some big, life changing decisions to make in the next few months, but I can lay down a framework here:
flip, lutz
work on camel to become consistent
camel-sit
pass freestyle 4
actually medal in the summer event I usually enter and walk away with 0

AstarZ41
12-31-2004, 06:34 PM
In the past year I:
Got new boots and blades
Went through the loop drama and won!
Expanded my spins to scratch and sit
Started camels
Learned the flip
Started the axel
Sort of learned the back spin
Took an ice dancing class!
Skated in my first ice show
Started to feel like a real skater 8-)

In 2005 I hope to:
Consistently center my scratch spin
Get more revolutinons on the sit
Work on making more revs on camels
Turn my flutz into a lutz
Land my axel??? :bow:
Skate a solo at the spring show
Work on smoothing out my basics
Improve my back spin to at least 5 consistent revs
Keep improving the ina bauer, get the outside spread eagle!!
And make a smooth transition to skating while in college.

jazzpants
12-31-2004, 06:58 PM
Well...

The highlight of my skating this year was pretty much at NYC. Now I have pictures of me skating at NYC. (I didn't the last time I visited NYC to skate b/c the trip was just over a weekend and hubby was VERY SICK with the stomach flu on that trip...)

This year was marred by two skating injuries (both b/c of my black boots breaking down) and some trouble with the first purple boots' blade alignment. Too much experimenting this year!!!

I did skate at Skate SF this year despite my initial plans NOT to do that 'til I pass my Bronze Moves test. (i.e. I wanted to do the Christmas show, the coaches wanted me to do Skate SF. Guess who won??) :p I didn't do as well as I wished I did, but I still decently and had fun.

I had my first attempt at taking the Bronze Moves test. I got confirmation from the judges as to what I need to work on and those are the things I'm now working on to finally pass the freakin' test the next time I take it!!!

Spins... well, it got changed when I got the first pair of purple boots. Those nice spins I had... POOOF!!! GONE!!! I got them back when I went back to my old black boots (after losing the first purple pair...) But unfortunately now I'm nursing a bad pull/bruise.

I finally landed my flips a bit more consistently than my "once in a blue moon." Now I'm working on straight flip entries to make it even more consistent and on going into it at faster speeds. Of course, I have to keep in mind that I hardly ever worked on my jumps most of 2004. My coaches just concentrated on having me master the basics (crossovers, mohawks, 3turns) and moves for the most part.

And speaking of speed... POWER and confidence is the name of the game this year for me!!! WOW!!! My coaches are surprised this year, though I still could go a LOT faster than what I'm doing now!!!

I may have conquered the dreaded FI mohawk monster, but I now have to master them!!! I want them "neat and tidy" before I could take the Bronze moves test again.

And oh, those GAWD awful forward power 3's entries??? I was finally able to get into those at faster speeds this year! Of course, this is comparing my non-existing ones last year, so... :P But they are here to stay... at least I hope it will with the second pair of purple boots anyway... :P

AN 2005 is not to be for me. But definitely hope for 2006? (YOU GO, MEL ON ICE!!! YOU GO, GIRL!!!)

Happy New Year, everyone!!!

jazzpants
12-31-2004, 07:24 PM
Sorry! Double posted on this thread. Pls ignore!!!

starskate6.0
12-31-2004, 08:31 PM
Went to Nationals had a great time and met a great bunch of guy's at the silver events. Lake Placid was a blast :D Later in the year past my gold moves and free,
did 4 shows,
Landed a salchow ( on my stilts ;) )
Worked on a lot of new stuff, footwork and new jumps,
landed a double lutz ( only one )
My axel now looks like an axel :lol:
skated the halloween event , that was a blast.
struggled with spins...... " Oh well"

Got big plans for this year. The mind is willing but the body may have other plans :lol:
going to New Years event, sectionals, Nationals, Germany.

" The gratest risk in life is not taking one". ;)

pennybeagle
12-31-2004, 09:05 PM
This past year, I...

Got married, got a new job, moved to a new state, switched coaches and clubs...but still found a great adult skating community and continued to skate and improve. :D
Finally started to land my axel consistently...until December, but we won't talk about that.
Passed the silver FS test
Learned (but have yet to really land): double sal, double loop, double toe, double flip.
Learned a LOT of dances...Preliminary through Pre-Silver!
Learned a flying sit spin that works sooo much better for me than the stinking flying camel
Vastly improved my layback spin...got 10 revs on one before the holiday break!

My goals for 2005 include:
Get my axel back, along with a double sal.
Pass the Gold MIF.
Compete in my first Adult Nationals, and have a good time regardless of how I skate
Test some of those dances I learned in 2004
Figure out how to do that flying camel
For fun: learn a cool or unusual spin (e.g. broken leg, crossfoot, some form of catchfoot-camel or layback, etc)

...and in my dreams, I will also land a double loop next year and pass the Gold FS... ahh, well, maybe in 2006.

Shinn-Reika
01-01-2005, 12:15 AM
This year I:

Finally got myself into this sport (yay!), which in all honesty involved overcoming a lot of fear

Figured out (because I've only begun to be intrsucted):

-a simplified waltz jump
- forward three turns
- forward and backward hydroblade
- Advanced crossovers
- a backwards toe hop

I also got my own pair of skates (for 75$ don't laugh I'm really poor)
And in other news I did a FS bordslide (okay that's a snowboarding trick)

The next year I want to:

-pass freestyle 1, so I can skate with upper level people
- get a better pair of skates (like ones with toepicks larger than my thumb)

I guess I can't say more in a list. I really want to try and get better. In all honesty I think there is a lot more stuff that I can do, and I really want to find my limits and push them even further. I also want to meet more skaters. Meet more women, then again it would be nice to meet more male skaters (because I'm the only one I know that is less than 60). Really just expand in general.

I'd also like to tell my dad I'm into figure skating. He still thinks I only like hockey.

Anyway I'm really exciting about the new year. Only two more days until I get another lesson.

skatemex
01-01-2005, 10:02 AM
This year I enjoyed skating with it's ups and downs.
I started taking lessons in october 2003, and in the last year I learned all the jumps up to lutz, scratch, backspin, camel and sit spins and started working on backcamel and backsit and camel-sit, sit-backsit.
For this year I would like to improve my basic skating, to do spins better, to learn a flying spin, to be able to do loop as the second jump in combinations, an axel and maybe start working on a double jump and to compete for the first time.
Shinn reika I'm also a male skater I'm 23 how old are you?

starskate6.0
01-01-2005, 10:13 AM
This year I:

Finally got myself into this sport (yay!), which in all honesty involved overcoming a lot of fear

Figured out (because I've only begun to be intrsucted):

-a simplified waltz jump
- forward three turns
- forward and backward hydroblade
- Advanced crossovers
- a backwards toe hop

And in other news I did a FS bordslide (okay that's a snowboarding trick)

The next year I want to:

-pass freestyle 1, so I can skate with upper level people
- get a better pair of skates (like ones with toepicks larger than my thumb)

I guess I can't say more in a list. I really want to try and get better. In all honesty I think there is a lot more stuff that I can do, and I really want to find my limits and push them even further. I also want to meet more skaters. Meet more women, then again it would be nice to meet more male skaters (because I'm the only one I know that is less than 60). Really just expand in general.

I'd also like to tell my dad I'm into figure skating. He still thinks I only like hockey.

Anyway I'm really exciting about the new year. Only two more days until I get another lesson.

Hey Shinn

Welcome to the club, your not alone, lots of people in this sport your age and older, Im 45 and getting younger. I look forward to meeting you some day, :D , Tell your dad real skaters dont where pads,. :lol:

The greates risk in life is not taking one. :D

Melzorina
01-01-2005, 04:27 PM
I've loved 2004. I've been skating for a whole year now. Normally I give up hobbies after say three months, but not skating. Theres something about it that I love so much. I knew from my first lesson I was addicted. This year I have...

Fallen in love with the ice.
Learnt quite a variety of stuff, that I'm proud to be able to do.
Managed to crawl up to grade 9.
I got my on skates (I heard someone say they had $75 skates and said not to laugh because they are poor or something, I have £75 skates too, why spend loads of money on your first pair, and I absolutly love mine, they are so comfortable!).
I bought my own little skirt and tights, (My dad takes the mic and says they look like granny's tights) so I look like a proper ice skater!
I got over my fear of jumping. I figured that if you're going to hit the ice anyway, why not do it properly and come crashing down? You look good when you fall and just get up and do it again.
I have my own instructor, which is very cool. That too, also sounds good when telling friends.

My aims for 2005 are to skate for more than 5 and a half hours a week, and for more than one day. I also want to get my grades finished so I can move onto something different and exciting! To do a novice test might be a challenge!

sk8er1964
01-01-2005, 04:40 PM
This time last year my goals were:

1. Pass my Novice moves: My coach and I decided to skip working on those this year to concentrate on my freestyle. I have been working on some of the basic moves, but nothing serious.

2. Consistantly land those darn doubles (sal, toe and loop): This has been the bane of my year. There is no physical reason why I am not landing these jumps. My sal take off is as near to perfect as you can get. My loop take off is decent. Unfortunately, there is something in my brain that is blocking landing this jump, and until we figure out what it is I think I will continue to be discouraged by this aspect of my skating.

3. Improve my placement at next year's AN (Lake Placid): Weeelll, I didn't exactly improve my placement, but then again I was skating in the championship event. So I would call this goal achieved, because qualifying to skate in the championship event wasn't even on my radar screen!

4. Keep improving and keep having the time of my life skating!!! Even though I still don't own those doubles, I have improved. Lake Placid was an eye opener for me. Yes, I want them, but to be honest, I don't need them to score well with the judges. All I really need is to remember that I love to skate, and to show that when I skate - to have FUN out there.

As for 2005 - I don't really have any goals right now. I guess it is to rediscover my love (I'm in a bit of a blue funk right now about my skating).

luna_skater
01-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Wow, looking back at my goals from the other thread, I've accomplished a lot! I said last year that I wanted to be finished my gold dance and working on my jr. silver skills by the end of the summer. I guess I underestimated myself! I finished my last gold dance in June and passed my Jr. Silver skills at the end of July. I just passed my sr. silver skills in November, and am aiming to test my gold skills in March. I can't believe how far I've come in a year, and am really proud of myself even if it sounds like bragging. This time last year I was working on my sr. silver dances and prelim/jr. bronze skills. Now I am a gold dancer and am finishing my gold skills. I never dreamed that after never taking a private lesson in my life until May 2003 (I've skated my whole life and competed synchro for years, just not tested), I would be this close to being a double-gold skater. :D

I don't know how much testing I'll do once I'm done my skills. I would like to learn a bit of freeskate, and maybe do some interpretive tests. My goal is just to improve my skating every time I hit the ice. I want to be confident with every step I take. Now that my technical skill has gotten so much stronger, I guess I might focus on presentation and style more.

techskater
01-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Well, since I returned from AN's I have lost a whole bunch of weight, increased my speed, flow, and edge quality, am able to skate a complete program, and got two additional doubles (although the loop is somewhat cheated at times) and can land all three doubles in my program consistently in practice although I have only tried and landed 2 of the 3 in competition. I would say, that makes my post AN's skating season near perfect as each successive competition I have skated a little better with the rechoreographed program and just had a few glitches each outing (which are getting to be less and less each outing)! We also put a SP together for Gold Ladies at Sunshine in a few weeks, which will be a first for me.

I haven't passed my Intermediate MIF yet because I changed jobs right around the time we were originally going to put my test out (it got scratched due to time constraints and judges) but it is definitely ready as we started working on some of the Novice MIF already and started patching the counters during patch class.

I also got in tight with a group of skaters which has been a God-send to have such great people to commiserate and celebrate with!

TimDsk879
01-01-2005, 09:21 PM
My golas for the year 2005

1. Pass my Gold Moves and Free

2. Compete at Easterns and Nationals and medal

3. Compete Gold after the summer

Mrs Redboots
01-02-2005, 06:51 AM
Im 45 and getting younger. Ah, he's just a baby! ;)
Well, since I returned from AN's I have lost a whole bunch of weight, increased my speed, flow, and edge quality, am able to skate a complete programI'm so glad to hear that someone else is finding that weightloss has helped to increase their speed, flow and edge quality! I have lost a bit of weight and am finding that it's helping.... any of you others who I know have lost significant weight - Jazzpants? DBNY?

sk8pics
01-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Ah, he's just a baby! ;)
I'm so glad to hear that someone else is finding that weightloss has helped to increase their speed, flow and edge quality! I have lost a bit of weight and am finding that it's helping.... any of you others who I know have lost significant weight - Jazzpants? DBNY?

I also have found that. Maybe it was just time, but after I'd lost around 25 pounds, my skating made a significant improvement, to the extent that other people commented on it. I guess it makes sense!

Pat

Michigansk8er
01-02-2005, 12:55 PM
As for 2005 - I don't really have any goals right now. I guess it is to rediscover my love (I'm in a bit of a blue funk right now about my skating).

I'm with you on that one. I'm looking forward to your visit this month so we can just get out there and play around. It's bound to help!

Things just have not progressed as I'd thought this year, and it's been rather discouraging. I thought I'd have everything back by now............but my flip and lutz are still nowhere to be found. That being said, AN is out of the question for yet another year.

Shinn-Reika
01-02-2005, 03:18 PM
I'm 18 an a freshman in college.

Melzorina
01-02-2005, 03:32 PM
...good for you? :)

(Edit: Thats not meant nastily by the way)

NCSkater02
01-02-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm so glad to hear that someone else is finding that weightloss has helped to increase their speed, flow and edge quality! I have lost a bit of weight and am finding that it's helping.... any of you others who I know have lost significant weight

It's taken me three years, but I've lost 35+ pounds. Since I started skating three years ago, I'm giving skating all the credit, because I haven't really changed my eating habits yet. I did give up diet sodas and caffeine--what a difference it made. I do believe it has made me faster. I started learning my FS program in February, and in April I was finishing with or behind the music. By June, I was well ahead of it, and we'd only changed one thing.

This past year, I've learned many new things:

Jumps--relearned toe loop, learned lutz and salchow--all are half
Spins--Not sure I will ever learn forward scratch, but back is coming along
MIF--learned all except for alternating 3turns
Foot work--Mohawks and 3turns are more consistant, but I need to check
Competed for the first time and met my goal of not falling :roll:
Mostly broke my worst habit of breaking at the waist.

For next year:
Jumps: Get them consistant and completely correct
Spins: Again, get them consistant, centered, and actually there
MIF: Learn alt 3's and pass Pre-Bronze
Foot work: Make progress on checking and get off my #@$%& toe pick
Competing: Better deal with the nerves that come with it.

dbny
01-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Ah, he's just a baby! ;)
I'm so glad to hear that someone else is finding that weightloss has helped to increase their speed, flow and edge quality! I have lost a bit of weight and am finding that it's helping.... any of you others who I know have lost significant weight - Jazzpants? DBNY?

I don't know if we would be able to see Jazzpants if she lost any weight. She's trim and fit, and I wish I could say the same about myself! I gained 8 pounds right before the holidays but have now lost 4 of them. I think glucosamine might have been stimulating my compulsive eating :evil:

I've been a chicken about setting goals for myself, but now that I'm taking lessons again, my coach is pushing me to do so.

Most of my progress has been in coaching. I attended the annual PSA conference in May and learned a lot there. I've also been able to increase my coaching hours significantly this season. I can say with confidence that I'm very good with beginners, both children and adults. I would love to teach MIF though, but three turns are holding me back. I know how to teach them, but do lousy demos.

On the positive side, I now have decent enough B power pulls that they are fun, and sometimes get power on the F pulls also. My coach is forcing me to clean up my FI Mohawks, and they are cleaning up! I've gotten off the wall on the FI threes but still don't have the nerve to do the FI alt three pattern. I'm going to get it this season!!! I also have to master the prelim power threes, which have been driving me crazy with the good side switching every other week. I'm also starting to work on B threes again. I lost my one foot spin last summer, and then my two foot spin followed, but now the two foot is very strong and I'm going to bring the one foot back starting this week. My goal for it this year is to become confident at it, including the windup and step in. The major problem with my spins is that I had become a wet noodle in the middle. I want to start doing crunches every day, and I think that will help a lot with the threes also.

Casey
01-02-2005, 09:54 PM

Hey don't feel bad! I found my used Klingbeils on eBay - spent a total of $40 or so including shipping, and they're actually quite nice (painful to break-in, but they skate well - much better than the old crappy skates I had that I spent just as much on, and better than rental skates). I just spent a lot on a new set, but as many here have told me, a great pair of skates doesn't have to cost a lot. In fact, the Klingbeils are actually starting to conform to my feet enough that I'm considering just shelving the new skates I bought when they come in until I pass a certain accomplishment (like obtaining FS1).

My skating goals for 2005:
- Not giving up, keeping up with the 5 public sessions a week I've been doing.
- Refine refine refine...work on proper arm and body position, more graceful moves, better edge control...
- Stretch every day, increase flexibility a lot.
- Lessons! Get a private coach starting in late February after my public lessons run out.
- Pass FS1.
- Learn to spin on one foot!!
- Pass FS2.

vesperholly
01-02-2005, 10:08 PM
My goals in 2004 were to test Novice moves, work on getting good axel technique (kick through) and work on CCW spins that I'm not good at like layback, flying camel, back sit.

I definitely accomplished them, and came within a hair of passing Novice moves (dammit!) as I had one pass, and one fail that was only by .2. My axel isn't as good as I'd like but is much better. Layback improved like 200% but flying camel is still rather hideous and back sit is embarassing. :??

My goals for 2005 are to get my axel clean and keep working on the kick through, land double sal and work on double toe, and pass my Novice moves. And the big one, keep losing weight!

I lost about 15lbs over the course of 2004. It definitely helped my skating. I also really killed myself working on moves - for over a month, I skated 5 days a week and did the entire test, start to finish, in order, after a short warm-up. That totally paid off too, because I was able to skate the entire test without a mistake. I was winded after the first two moves, but the stamina training worked because in the past I'd make mistakes on the other moves due to my tiredness. It was a great to experience cause and effect, even if I failed! :P

Mrs Redboots
01-03-2005, 08:35 AM
I don't know if we would be able to see Jazzpants if she lost any weight. She's trim and fit, and I wish I could say the same about myself! I gained 8 pounds right before the holidays but have now lost 4 of them. I think glucosamine might have been stimulating my compulsive eating :evil: I've never heard of that side-effect of glucosamine! It doesn't have it on me....

As for Jazzpants, I know she's trim and fit - but I gather she wasn't always like that, so she tells me.

jenlyon60
01-03-2005, 10:30 AM
My goal at the beginning of last year was just to be able to seriously skate again (having been diagonosed with knee damage). After spending a month or so just working on simple stuff, I was able to ease back into things.

Learned Blues/Paso for the WFSC Pro-Am and survived the appropriate number of patterns (although I did manage to forget part of the back breakout on the Paso, and did a touch-down cheat on the entry into the Blues choctaw).

Had a comment in passing about the quality of my basic skating that hit home, so came back after Pro-Am and told my coach that I wanted to be able to do my dances solo to the music (or at least very close to the proper timing) with good-sized patterns. So we spent all summer working on strengthening my basic skating and power, and re-started working on Tango near the end of the summer.

In September I started working with a 2nd coach focusing solely on core basics (mostly 3-turns). After much frustration, I'm now getting much improved technique into my turns and a much improved check coming out, on the FO3s... the other week we added the FI3s since the lady's RFI3 in the Tango has always been an "Oh--My--Gracious."

The outcome of all this is that I now have a much better understanding of using the fore/aft pressuring on the blade and even more so, a better understanding of where my free side is as I work on dance steps.

Still a long way to go..... so that I don't look like a chubby middle-aged woman being pushed around by my younger fit male coach...

Casey
01-03-2005, 05:52 PM
I skated 5 days a week and did the entire test, start to finish, in order, after a short warm-up. That totally paid off too, because I was able to skate the entire test without a mistake. I was winded after the first two moves, but the stamina training worked because in the past I'd make mistakes on the other moves due to my tiredness. It was a great to experience cause and effect, even if I failed! :P

Where can you find a description of the tests online? I'd love to start practicing for the FS1 test during my "refining period". :)

Mrs Redboots
01-04-2005, 06:37 AM
Where can you find a description of the tests online? I'd love to start practicing for the FS1 test during my "refining period". :)I'm totally not trying to put you off, but wouldn't it be more sensible to work on the beta/gamma/delta test elements first?

quarkiki2
01-04-2005, 03:40 PM
OK, here's my list:

Accomplishments:
* I'm skating with much more power and speed (well, for me, anyway)
* I have a reliable LFO3 and RFI mohawk (and this one's at speed in my Synchro program, yay!) My RFO3 and inside 3's are oh-so-close. My LFI mohawk is there, but nowhere near comfortable.
* My BO and BI edges would pass ISI Freestyle 1 test, but I think they need mucho work to be really comfortable. But they're getting better.
* I competed for the first time with my Synchro team and actually did all of the footwork A-OK in competition.
* I've gone from a weak skater on my team to a valuable member. I'm not afraid of the speed any more and enjoy trusting myself that no matter what happens, my feet can still stay underneath me.
* I love my powerskating class and the stroking and edgework we do in there. My forward cross rolls are deep and smooth, yay!
* I can do a 3 or 4 revolution one foot spin and am working on an entrance.
* My forward and backward crossovers are much deeper and faster, yay!

My goals for the new year:
* Skate well with my Synchro team at Forsty Bldes in February.
* Continue improving power, strength, and knee bend
* Have a healthy and happy baby (due July 3).
* Return to skating sometime this fall!!!

skatingatty
01-04-2005, 05:16 PM
2004 was a good year for my skating. I finally landed an axel at 2 competitions and learned how to do a Y-spin, cannonball sit, and a catchfoot layback. I also got new skates (custom Klingbeils), which are feeling great after a couple of problems- the big bruise around my bunion has disappeared, whew! Well, since I recently turned 31, it's time to think about getting preggers, so I might not be skating anymore at the end of this year (much to my coach's chagrin). My goals for 2005 are to have a decent flying camel and a consistent axel, as usual. And maybe a double salchow. :)

LoopLoop
01-05-2005, 11:04 AM
2004 was definitely an up-and-down year for me.

On the upside:
I passed gold moves on the third try.
Started pairs lessons with NoVa, and found that pairs is both easier and harder than it looks.
Landed my (ugly) axel in all of my spring competitions.
Went to the adult camp in Hackensack.
Got new boots and blades in the spring.

On the downside:
My singles skating slid backward for a while, as I spent pretty much the whole summer working on MITF and pairs.
My axel got much less consistent when my coach decided it was time to rework it with better technique. Now it's much better technically, but unfortunately I two-foot it most of the time at the moment. :frus:

For 2005, my goals are:
Singles:
Skate a program I'm proud of at nationals
Regain consistency in my axel
More speed into jumps

Pairs:
Skate a program we're proud of at nationals
Learn another throw or two
More speed and flow

NoVa Sk8r
01-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Pairs:
Skate a program we're proud of at nationals
Learn another throw or two
More speed and flow

What? I don't see "Get a better pair partner" on your list. ;)

skaternum
01-05-2005, 11:26 AM
What? I don't see "Get a better pair partner" on your list.I don't even see "Get a different pair partner" on her list! :halo:

NoVa Sk8r
01-05-2005, 12:06 PM
I don't even see "Get a different pair partner" on her list! :halo:Oops, that's really what I meant. Can't get worse than me anyway. :??
One of these days, I will learn how to do proper crossovers!!!

LoopLoop
01-05-2005, 12:10 PM
One of these days, I will learn how to do proper crossovers!!!
Hmmm, sounds like something to work on tonight. :halo:

flo
01-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Hmmm. This year's been pretty frustrating at times, and there's been some great times.

Competed in my 10th adult nationals and received my 9th AN medal.
Competed in the Washington New Year's event and had a great time and two golds.

Competed at the Hallowween classic and had a wonderful time and medals. Really blew the spin event and was last, and rightfully so!

Elected VP of our club

Was able to sub in group lessons with the tots, had a great time.
Made great progress with double salchow - until the new boots and blades attacked my feet.

Saw a friend's novice short program and loved it - learned it (finished it last night) and replaced the doubles/tripples with singles. Decided to give it a try as a silver program, and am adapting it for the silver requirements - adding a jump and spin.

Have painted a few more costumes, and am starting on the next one!

Choreographed a friend's adult program and a tot's program, had two sussessful shows.

Unfortunately still no partner, but had the opportunity to help a few other pairs, including the well known Loops/Nova team, which was great fun!

NoVa Sk8r
01-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Hmmm, sounds like something to work on tonight. :halo:Are you kidding me--skate ... tonight? I can barely move my shoulder/arm! And I'm on high doses of painkillers and sedatives (Tylenol PM has now become Tylenol AM 8-)), so I won't be my usual bubbly self (oh, right; that's a good thing).
So what time--8PM? ;)

LoopLoop
01-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Are you kidding me--skate ... tonight? I can barely move my shoulder/arm! And I'm on high doses of painkillers and sedatives (Tylenol PM has now become Tylenol AM 8-)), so I won't be my usual bubbly self (oh, right; that's a good thing).
So what time--8PM? ;)

Did you try the exercises I sent you yesterday? I'll see you 8ish.

NoVa Sk8r
01-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Did you try the exercises I sent you yesterday? I'll see you 8ish.Yup. I've gone from 60-lb weights to ... 2.5 lb weights! How embarrassing.

And no weightlifting for me this (whole?) month means you're gonna have a more svelte partner. ;)
So this would NOT be a good time to up your ice cream/chocolate intake. :P

But we are *not* gonna hold back tonight. I don't want us sliding backward from what we learned last Fri. morning. Just no loop lifts, 'K?

LoopLoop
01-05-2005, 03:29 PM
So this would NOT be a good time to up your ice cream/chocolate intake. :P
Uh-oh. :oops:

NoVa Sk8r
01-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Uh-oh. :oops: Haha. As long as we keep a large weight differential, I don't care what and how much you eat.
[Heck, for putting up with me and my imbalances, you deserve all the chocolate in the world! :P ]

dcden
01-05-2005, 03:47 PM
I've lurked long enough, am a bit tired from work today, so I'll post my 2004 in review.

Things started off well with double gold at the New Year Invitational, including a win in the Masters FS event (I skated up from Gold level).

It sorta went down from there though, as I was one spot away from qualifying for Championship Gold at sectionals. Also I finished 2nd in my open event at AN. At both these events, had two judges given me 0.1 more, I would have placed one precious rank higher.

After some lackluster training in the summer, I was able to close out the year with some positive highlights, but not ones I would have expected. At the Halloween classic, I was floored when I was awarded my FS medal by Don Jackson, and my team medal by Liz Manley. Big ups to IceWorks SC for that!

In December, I was a dancer in GMCW's production of "A Pink Nutcracker: Men in Tights". How does this relate to skating? Well, I did some Russian split leaps at the end of the Chinese dance; a number of fellow chorus members complimented me about those leaps and were a little surprised about it. I have to credit the skating training for the ability to do those leaps well and for having the fitness level to get through the dances in general.

Also in December, I was featured in a skating article, with quite a few quotes and a nice picture from the 2003 New Year Invitational:
http://www.dallasvoice.com/articles/dispArticle.cfm?Article_ID=5469

Finally, a picture of me doing a spiral was used on the promotional poster for the 2005 New Year Invitational.

Now if I can just transfer this off-ice positive energy onto the ice for 2005, I'll be happy...

PattyP
01-05-2005, 05:18 PM
2004 Goals from last year's thread:Goals:

1. To improve the consistancy of my axel.
2. To finally land some doubles...not cheated.
3. Pass my Gold FS test.
4. To continue improving my speed, edges & flow.
5. Intermediate MIF??

What I actually accomplished this year:

1. I did see some improvement with my consistancy, not where I want it to be, but definitely better.

2. No doubles. :cry: I think I'm getting closer lately, but a couple of minor injuries over the summer & fall kept me from making any real progress.

3. YAY! Passed in May. Gulp, now I have to compete at this level...with no doubles. :roll:

4. No progress made here, didn't skate enough. Spent my time working on axels and doubles.

5. Haven't worked on MIF since I passed my Gold test. Need to add this one back this year...will help on #4.

I won another gold medal at AN in the Interp event and was asked to skate this program in the exibition. Definitely the highlight of my skating career!

Not on my list but one of my significant accomplishments in 2004, I ran a Marathon in under 4 hours! I started running to control my weight and help my stamina for skating and got carried away. I lost 15 pounds from running and it made a huge difference in my skating. I've maintained this weight loss for over 2 years now.

2005 Goals:

1. Land a Double jump. I sound like a broken record! :roll:

2. Survive competing at the Gold level this year.

3. Have fun and enjoy skating without concern for competition placements.

4. Skate more than I did last year and finding the time to focus on basic skating skills again.

5. New spin combinations, positions.

That's it!

PattyP

sk8er1964
01-06-2005, 12:55 PM
[B]3. YAY! Passed in May. Gulp, now I have to compete at this level...with no doubles. :roll:

<snip>

PattyP

Don't worry about the doubles - I didn't have any this last year either, and was ok. You'll be just fine - especially if your basic skating is good.

I've learned that bad things happen when you obsess about doubles. :?? :evil:

skatergirlva
01-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Skating in 2004 had it's ups and downs. I passed my Intermediate Moves in the Field, which I was very happy about and learned all the Novice Moves. I was making good progress on them, but I had to stop skating for a bit.

The New Years Invitational went well last year, despite issues with the audio at Ashburn. Once the situation was resolved, I had skated half my program already and the judges wanted me to continue from where the music had stopped because of the sound system. After consulting with my coach, I informed the judges that while I would be more than happy to do this, I had just finished learning my program a week or two prior and that I had no idea where anything was in relation to my program. While they were fine with this the music began as I was still speaking to them. I then proceeded to make up my program. I won in the end as well as the spin competition.

Hackensack was my FAVORITE skating adventure of the year. I was on a role with my double loop landing it non-stop and even the STUPID axel more consistently. However, once I left NJ and came back to VA, I think I left my good skating behind.

The Halloween competition was more than a tad depressing, but I'm over it now. I was two months pregnant at that point, so I was tired and not skating enough to make it all work well.

I can't wait until June to be skating again and hopefully get my Novice Moves back again and test...get my silly axel to be my friend, and work on the double loop again...my happy jump. :)

Happy New Years!

Terri C
01-06-2005, 04:45 PM
The Halloween competition was more than a tad depressing, but I'm over it now. I was two months pregnant at that point, so I was tired and not skating enough to make it all work well.

While I didn't know this in Philly, congratulations!!!! :)
So, that makes two forum posters starting the journey to parenthood!

skatergirlva
01-07-2005, 07:05 AM
Terri,

Thank you. I am excited. :) So in the coming years, you may see not only me, but a little boy at competitions. LoopLoop asked me if he will be using skates with or without toepicks. I said that he would probably start with toepicks and then see if he likes it, but that is a bit down the road.

Thank you again and I'll be cheering you guys on at Ashburn! :)

jazzpants
01-07-2005, 10:32 AM
I don't know if we would be able to see Jazzpants if she lost any weight. She's trim and fit, and I wish I could say the same about myself! I gained 8 pounds right before the holidays but have now lost 4 of them. I think glucosamine might have been stimulating my compulsive eating :evil: I may be trim now but I'm not as fit. MIL fed me a LOT of food!!! Gotta get back on the horse to exercise... I've been busy the past few days getting back on the job hunting horse. Too TOO lazy to exercise!!! :twisted: