View Full Version : loop and backspin helP!!

Kit kat
12-29-2004, 01:04 PM
well basicly i cant get my loop is because my backspin is horrible. in the middle of the spin i seem to lose my balence. i think i am on my toepick..does anyone have tips on balencing on a backspin and if i can do off ice training to help? :frus:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
once i get this i need help on my loop. i tried before and i never seen to get a full revolution and land on two feet instead of one. anybody got tips?
i would reely appreciate it. thanks and happy new year!

Hannahclear
12-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Recently, I have focused on straightening my right side during a backspin. I spin counterclockwise. By drawing up the right side, the spin is more balanced. It also helps you to be more on the ball of the foot.

md2be
12-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Before you hit your toepick are you falling to an edge and then over-correcting by rising up to the toepick? If so, try to feel which edge you are falling to and chances are, like hannah said, you are dropping your shoulder.

Otherwise, in this spin, people tend to let the upper body lag behind. Id suggest making sure your shoulders are square with your hips and not shifted to the right. Try turning your head a little toward your left shoulder (and not bring your left shoulder to your head!!!). Wherever your left shoulder goes in this spin, you will go. If it gets behind your lower body, you will fail in the spin.

Loop is easy to practice off ice. One common mistake is having the free leg turn out. So....let's see....if you jump up in the loop position, both knees should be facing the same direction. Often times, the hip rotates and the knee ends up turning out toward the left. This causes the hip to drop, or the hip dropping causes the knee to turn out...regardless, keeping the knees straight ahead will help keep that free leg where it should be. It will also help prevent your legs from uncrossing so that your feet end up parallel, ultimately causing two foot landing.