View Full Version : To all Pairs Skaters and Ice-Dancers. What moves do you have?

FSWer
12-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Say,if you are a Pairs or Ice-Dancer, as a fan,I was just courious to know what moves everyone here has?

Mrs Redboots
12-29-2004, 10:55 AM
Remarkably few! A spiral-teapot sequence we aren't allowed to do in our test because the teapot isn't low enough; a dance spin that improves daily; no other spins yet, although we're working on them; no lifts yet; a very wimpy assisted 3-jump that is supposed to turn into a waltz lift and doesn't; side-by-side forwards hydroblade.... that's about it!

flo
12-29-2004, 11:12 AM
The single throws and doubles in a harness - felt like Peter Pan. A press, platter, platter to star, and off ice a toe overhead. 2Split twists, death spirals. Lots of fun stuff, but my favorite was forward inside death spiral.
What's your favorite to watch? Loops and Nova have some great moves!

LoopLoop
12-29-2004, 11:20 AM
Why thank you, Flo. :oops:

NoVa and I can do throw waltz, salchow, and loop; tango camel and we're working on pair camel and pair sit; loop and axel lifts on-ice; split twist; platter, press, and star lifts off-ice; forward inside death spiral (variation, not quite the real thing yet).

NoVa Sk8r
12-29-2004, 11:23 AM
... and one helluvagood spiral sequence!

Not to mention many variations on the theme of spiral/hydroblade/Ina Bauer.

Sk8Bunny
12-29-2004, 11:53 AM
throw waltz, salchow, loop, and single axel(so much fun!), sbs jumps (all the singles), tango camel spin, pair camel spin, sbs spin combos (flying camel to back sit; and camel, sit, back sit), easy spiral sequence, loop and lutz lifts, variations of a outside and inside edge death spiral (it was two-handed grasp, not one-handed).
Learned all this in one week. i LOVE pairs skating. Is it just me, or do pair sessions seem to pass by a lot faster than singles sessions?

flo
12-29-2004, 12:09 PM
In one of our all adult shows we did a program with 3 pairs doing the various pair elements in progression of difficulty. It was fun and gave the audience a chance to see how pairs actually learn these things and progress to the next level.

CanAmSk8ter
12-29-2004, 12:54 PM
Well, I can do all the dances throught Pre-Gold (Blues, Paso Doble, Kilian, and Starlight Waltz, although I've only partnered the Starlight once or twice). So I can do anything in dances up to there. I can do quick choctaws and quick bracket-three-brackets but not very smoothly, and I can only do the brackets quickly from RFI or LFO. I can do triple twizzles from a RFI edge and doubles from an LFI or RBO. I think I can only do a single from LBO. I can also do Ina Bauers both ways, although they don't look like much and I can't hold them very long, but I've been working on them for years, and I finally got it one way this summer. Of course for synchro we have to do it the other way, so my Christmas miracle was that last week I finally got it. For synchro I have to work on getting all this stuff a lot stronger, plus I have to get a spread eagle which, if I do get it, will be a total miracle.

Or did you mean what moves-in-the-field tests did we have?

Mrs Redboots
12-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Forgot to add pivot spiral!

Mind, if we're talking dance.... well, in a typical social dance session we'd be able for:
Novice Foxtrot
Rhythm Blues
Dutch Waltz
Canasta Tango
Golden Skater's Waltz
Riverside Rhumba
Festival Quickstep
Festival Cha-Cha
Canadian Cha-Cha
Riolado Samba
Fiesta Tango
Swing Dance
Prelim Waltz
Willow Waltz
and we can stumble and kick our way through the 14-step and 10-step, although Husband usually dances the 10-step with another partner. We can also vaguely do the Foxtrot, although not yet without stopping in the middle to argue. Husband does Hickory Hoedown (he's welcome!), Blues, Starlight Waltz & Paso Doble solo, the latter very badly; he also does the European waltz and we are beginning to play with that as a couple (again, stopping to argue en route!). Husband wants to learn 22-step. We did do the Tango in a workshop, but never have time to work on it!

Plus last year we had a Tango OD, and this year we have our free dance, which is to a Scottish dance medley.

TashaKat
12-29-2004, 09:58 PM
You can see some of my 'moves' on my (very) out-of-date WEBSITE (http://www.geocities.com/lynne_99_uk)

I also did a few lessons of pairs so did some off-ice lifts, beginnings of death spiral etc but I can't really count those as actual moves :) Wish that I could, I love Pairs .... sigh

My favourite has got to be the 'old man's death spiral' which my ex-partner and I did as part of our Free Dance and also in a show number for the National Challenge. This is not the best picture but it's the only one that I can find, I'm in a kind of 'broken legged' split position with him holding my left foot in his left hand. There's also a pic of our 'hydroblade' which he was much better at than me :oops:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/TashaKat/Death_Spiral_PB.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/TashaKat/Hydroblade.gif

Then there's one of our lifts (which didn't always work) and finally my Back Pick-Up Spiral :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/TashaKat/Spiral_Lift.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/TashaKat/Lift.bmp http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/TashaKat/Back_Pick-Up__Spiral.jpg

TashaKat
12-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Husband wants to learn 22-step. We did do the Tango in a workshop, but never have time to work on it!

Wow! I was doing that before I broke my wrist, it's a nice dance but fast and that bit at the end is a b***** for the lady
8O Good luck and enjoy :) Oh, I didn't break my wrist on that ... I did that on a back 3 :roll: I got a skull fracture from the 14 step but never managed to do any damage on the 22 step :)

FSWer
12-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Tasha,please repost your website link. It doesn't work.

TashaKat
12-30-2004, 02:48 AM
Dana, it should be working now :)

Mrs Redboots
12-30-2004, 08:17 AM
Wow! I was doing that before I broke my wrist, it's a nice dance but fast and that bit at the end is a b***** for the lady
8O Good luck and enjoy :) Oh, I didn't break my wrist on that ... I did that on a back 3 :roll: I got a skull fracture from the 14 step but never managed to do any damage on the 22 step :)Me - I have no intention of doing the 22-step - I panic quite enough on the 14-step! I can step through the European waltz, but that's the only level 7 dance I either can or wish to do!

Husband wants to do the 22-step because he is challenged by the Mohawk in it..... plus he likes to know the steps of the dances, even if he can't do them. And he likes all the marches. Not sure any of the women at our rink do the 22-step, actually, so he has to wait for our monthly trip to Alex. Palace when he finds someone who will haul him around.... she also hauls him through the American Waltz, even though he once kicked her on the shin and drew blood!

skaternum
12-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Time to chime in, I guess. My dear partner and I do on ice:

lutz lift
loop lift
"babydoll" lift (aka stag)
throw loop
throw salchow
pair camel
pair tango camel
pair sit (modified, so he gets to put his foot down pretty soon into the spin!)
pair catch camel
BO death spiral
sbs camel spins
sbs sit spins

Here's what we work on off-ice:
split twist
star lift
press lift (almost got it on-ice)
platter lift

My partner's background is ice dance, so he's always less comfortable with the overhead lifts on ice. When he lifts, his brain tells him to NOT go overhead, so it's a muscle memory/brain thing. :) And most of you know our motto by now: "We suck, but we have a good time!"

samba
12-31-2004, 06:46 PM
8O Good luck and enjoy :) Oh, I didn't break my wrist on that ... I did that on a back 3 :roll: I got a skull fracture from the 14 step but never managed to do any damage on the 22 step :)
Here was I thinking dance was the safer option, maybe I should stick to free skating, I never was any good at dance anyway.