View Full Version : Question about helmets

rudi
12-27-2004, 04:41 PM
I want to get my daughter, who is starting lessons in January, a helmet. I think I want to get her a hockey helmet as opposed to a bike helmet.

I went to Sports Authority, but they only had adult sizes.

Anyone know a good place to buy a children's helmet or have any advice regarding this?

Thanks in advance :)

sue123
12-27-2004, 06:25 PM
you can always check pro shops around the rink. the big chain stores (sports authority, modells, galyans, etc.) don't usually carry everything, especially related to ice if it's not popular where you're from. maybe look under the yellow pages for skate shops. usually, the mom and pop stores that specialize in skates will carry children's sizes.

flo
12-28-2004, 01:48 PM
Also if you have a play it again sports store, you may want to check there. They have used items, and probably quite a few helmets that other kids have grown out of all too quickly.

sk8er1964
12-28-2004, 03:36 PM
1-800faceoff.com has hockey equipment at decent prices. Hockey helmets can be quite expensive, though, and many childrens models come with a face mask (which can be removed). If you are looking for a fairly good quality helmet (that covers the back of the head), you might try a skateboarding supplier. My son's skateboarding helmet is lightweight, but has good cushioning for the back of the head. Got it at Play it Again Sports (where we also got his first hockey helmet).

sk8er1964
12-28-2004, 03:38 PM
1800faceoff.com (http://www.1800faceoff.com/index2.ihtml) has hockey equipment at decent prices. Hockey helmets can be quite expensive, though, and many childrens models come with a face mask (which can be removed). If you are looking for a fairly good quality helmet (that covers the back of the head), you might try a skateboarding supplier. My son's skateboarding helmet is lightweight, but has good cushioning for the back of the head. Got it at Play it Again Sports (where we also got his first hockey helmet).

russiet
12-29-2004, 09:01 AM
You could also use a child's ski or snowboard helmet.

They don't have face guards, but they are much better suited for skating than would be a bicylce helmet.

In the past I have bought kid's helmets from LL Bean and also REI. There are many other places to shop on line.

If your child also skis (like mine) the helmet will do double duty!

Jon

rudi
12-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will try these suggestions.

We went to a public skating session yesterday, and she wore a bicycle helmet. I think she was the only little kid there with a helmet on (she's 3), which kinda surprised me.

Anyway, she was a "wet noodle" out there, so even though she had a lot of fun, I had to hold her up most of the time. I may re-think idea of her going for lessons for now. :lol:

Mrs Redboots
12-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Very few of the kids here wear helmets - and almost no kids wear one twice!