View Full Version : Coaches being paid for end of year show numbers

Aussie Willy
12-26-2004, 09:41 PM
I have a question for skaters and coaches regarding end of year shows or doing a number for a show. It is basically about being paid to do it. I assume there are some that do it for money and some who don't get paid but still do it. I am not interested in details but just the general principles and discussion about it.

The reason I ask this is one of the coaches at our rink refused to do a number for the show because he wasn't getting paid. The other coaches did a number but they weren't too happy about not getting paid and I don't think they will do it in future. Which is understandable because it does take time to put it together and it is the way they earn their money.

On the other hand, during the year our club put a lot of effort into promoting the sport which helps them get new students. Some of them are not necessarily promoting the sport themselves and get their students from those that come in the door. Our skate school numbers have increased this year because of the promotion which means the coaches get more students. (You could say that the coach who refused to do a number was a beneficary of this promotional effort.) So on the other side of the coin, the club which can't really afford to pay the coaches, look to the coaches to help them put numbers together for the skaters to participate in (which is a "nice" thing to do too). And because the sport is only now starting to recovering from a slump in numbers over the last few years, the coaches need to maybe be give a bit because if we can improve our numbers over the next couple of years then the club could afford to pay them in future.

So what do others think? I can see both sides of the argument but I am sure there will be people out there who can provide other reasons for why coaches should (or does it matter if they don't) get paid for doing end of year shows. And I suppose if the coaches are paid, how do you raise your money to cover for this?

Your comments will be appreciated.

fadedstardust
12-26-2004, 10:15 PM
A number is a number. If a coach has to choreograph it, he should get paid. If it's for a show put on by the rink and they are selling tickets, then the rink should pay. If it's a certain group of people wanting to put a number together to sign up to be in the show, then that group of people should split the cost and pay the choreographer. Whether you're going to the Olympics or skating in a small Xmas show, a choreographed number takes the same amount of time and energy to make, or at least close to it, ESPECIALLY for a group number, those are zoos the first week or two. No reason he shouldn't be getting paid, unless he was asked (and accepted) to do it for charity.

Lenny2
12-27-2004, 08:42 AM
When our club asks a coach to choroegraph a group number for a club show (or to participate in other club events like clinics and seminars), we generally offer to pay the coach a flat fee--say, $50 or $100--regardless of the time involved. The coaches usually agree to do this for less than their usual rate as a favor to the club, and the club pays the coaches a small fee as an acknowledgement of the time and effort the coaches have expended for the club. Although I agree that it would be nice if the coaches would volunteer their time on behalf of their customers who pay their fees year-round, this arrangement seems to avoid resentment.

Michigansk8er
12-27-2004, 09:01 AM
At one of the rinks where I skate the coaches are expected to do the shows for free. It is in their contract. The reason behind it is that they use the rink throughout the year, free of charge, for their trade. I think it's a fair deal. Kind of like free office space for a few hours of work per year.

Mrs Redboots
12-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Goodness, do your coaches get to use the rink for free? Ours have to pay pretty serious rent - so much per pupil, I think - and if there is no ice for some reason, the rebate certainly doesn't cover the cost of missed lessons. Plus they have to pay for the teaching ice, which they do get back from us.

I know my coach charges to coach a show number, but his (and his wife's - they do it jointly) fees are discussed with all the parents before they start, and any parent who is uncomfortable with it doesn't allow their skater to enter. But they mostly do - and the parents spend hours painting scenery and making props.

Michigansk8er
12-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Yep, they use the facility for free, and charge whatever they feel like. That's why they are assigned to do the one show a year. Quite a deal, I think.

blades
12-27-2004, 11:02 AM
8-)

fees range from 0 to 30+ %...

sun valley is fameous for charging visiting pros 30% of their coaching fees for the privilege of bringing their students there...

10 to 15 % percent is most common in the states...but, usually, the coaches don't have to pay for their own ice time...

skatemum
12-31-2004, 12:20 AM
We just put on a Xmas show and the coaches volunteered their time, the rink donated the ice but took all the door takings, this is fair though as the ice time for all rehersals was donated. The show unfortunately was a flop as the coach who insisted on doing most of the coreography didn't end up doing much at all. I guess you get what you pay for.

However to Aussiewilly's post, the position of coaches and skaters in Australia is extemeley different to that elsewhere as there is little or no support or recognition for the sport. So the cross promotional point that is made is a good one. Our clubs are lucky if they have more than 100 skaters on the books at any given time.