View Full Version : Synthetic boots - help needed please

Aussie Willy
12-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Does anyone know anyone or boot company who can make a synthetic boot for a higher level skater?

A friend of mine at our rink suffers shocking eczema from a particular preservative in leather which is found in most skating boots. She is looking for a manufacturer of boots that could make her a custom boot in a synthetic material rather than leather. I know a lot of beginners boots are made of synthetic material but is there something available for the more advanced skater (doing double jumps).

You help will be appreciated (particularly by herself and her mother). Thanks!!

dbny
12-26-2004, 04:52 PM
Grafs use synthetic materials to line their boots.

jestemkkool
12-26-2004, 05:13 PM
Most of the companies should offer various linings for the boots that you can choose from if you opt for customs(if it is not a standard practice for the company, her fitter can call and explain the situation). So, when she goes for a fitting, should should ask the fitter to help her pick a lining. Any true custom boot gives the skater lining options. Good Luck!!!

Aussie Willy
12-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks for your replies and the information. However to clarify she needs a totally synthetic boot. The chemicals from the leather will still penetrate the lining of any synthetic material.

jestemkkool
12-26-2004, 05:34 PM
I'm not quite sure who would have a completely synthetic boot. But, if she will be getting customs, almost any company *should* be able to make the boot for her. Or they might be able to apply a sealing agent to the leather first, so the chemicals won't seep through. Again, a few phone calls explaining the situation should do the trick.

*I wonder if people who are vegetarians for moral reasons have this problem.*

dbny
12-26-2004, 06:00 PM
I believe Graf may make an all synthetic figure skate, but their materials diagram does not show a figure skate, and I could not verify it. Your friend could email them to get the details she needs.

Aussie Willy
12-26-2004, 09:16 PM
Dbny - thanks for that. I have emailed the link to this thread to the mother of the skater so that information will be very useful for her.

love2sk8
12-27-2004, 08:16 PM
I'm pretty sure the Graf Galaxy is synthetic...it's one of their two most advanced boots, for skater doing doubles and triples...heat moldable and sooo comfy!!

jestemkkool
12-27-2004, 08:30 PM
I agree. I have tried on Graf's and they are really comfortable. But a bit pricey.

Blosmbubbs
12-28-2004, 07:46 PM
Pricey? I got Harlicks that cost twice the price of my Grafs. LOL