View Full Version : Forced Laziness

Terri C
12-26-2004, 02:57 PM
That time of year is starting again, folks! You know when it starts snowing to the point where you cannot go anywhere.
We're getting hammered with snow here in the Norfolk/ Virginia Beach area, where snow is a rare commodity! It's been snowing here nonstop since 6:30 this morning!

So, how do YOU deal with forced laziness???

sue123
12-26-2004, 03:02 PM
i don't. so what if it's snowing? strap on a pair of cross country skis and go for a ski on your block. alternatively, a snowball fight with the neighborhood kids is a great way to stay in shape if you can't do anything else.

course when it snows and i'm at home, i get my dad to drive me to the rink. he's got an SUV with 4 wheel drive, a car that i am terrified to drive, but he adores taking out.

but i think i'm one of the few people that gets more energy as it gets colder. so bring on the snow, bring on the below zero temperature, and i'll be the one running around and doing everything. soon as the heat and sun comes, that's when i become a bum.

Terri C
12-26-2004, 03:08 PM
sue123.
You don't get it. Where I live, people do not know how to drive in snow and the local authorities do not have the road clearing equipment that states that frequently get snow do have. It gets better- last week we got a dusting of snow and all of the major school systems cancelled classes that day!

CaSkater1
12-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi Terri C. I'm in your area, Isle of Wight. 12 inches of snow here! It just stopped about 3:45pm. I was planning on heading to the rink today but that idea got nixed with the snow. I figured at 8am I would pretty much have the rink to myself.

I deal with forced laziness by practicing my jumps in my living room! I figure I'm getting somewhat of a work out and working on my rotation and checking my shoulders/arms. Oh, and doing laundry too.

Terri C
12-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi Terri C. I'm in your area, Isle of Wight. 12 inches of snow here! It just stopped about 3:45pm. I was planning on heading to the rink today but that idea got nixed with the snow. I figured at 8am I would pretty much have the rink to myself.

Which rink are you talking about- Chesapeake or Yorktown??

CaSkater1
12-26-2004, 03:26 PM
Chesapeake.

Isn't the one in Yorktown called Iceplex?

Terri C
12-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Yeah, it's Iceplex, but I've always referred to it as Yorktown.

fadedstardust
12-26-2004, 04:37 PM
I moved to California, that's how I dealt with it, hahaha. It's nice to plan my training week without adding the words "unless it snows" at the end. So counterproductive.

dbny
12-26-2004, 04:57 PM
During the last blizzard we had I got a workout slogging through the snow (in my knee high Sorel snow boots) to the local Chinese take out. It was only four blocks away, but took twenty minutes to get there.

icenut84
12-27-2004, 09:10 AM
I practice jumps in the living room, spins in the kitchen, and try to hold the spiral position too (when I remember!). My backspin on the kitchen floor is better than the ice, thanks to my almost non-existent training :(

Tessie
12-27-2004, 09:16 AM
We just got 12" of snow and I have a stinkin' head cold...even moving around in the house won't ease my "forced laziness". So I skate vicariously on line.

Terri C
12-27-2004, 10:18 AM
The hospital parking lot was full of ice this morning- at 6:20 in the morning and it still being dark outside- no I was not going to practice in the parking lot! :lol:

Mrs Redboots
12-27-2004, 10:24 AM
So were the roads between my sister's house and the main road! We took them *very* carefully..... but I half-wished we'd taken our skates so we could have skated on an inch of ice in her swimming-pool.... but I don't think it was that empty!

flo
12-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Terri C
Snow at the beach! How cool. I grew up in Virginia Beach, and snow is rare, but when it snows, it snows! And as I remember the city's snow removal plan is spring.
My parents still live there, though they are up here for Christmas. How are the roads getting back into town?

As far as forced laziness - I sleep, listen to skating music, cut skating music, paint costume, clean, sleep, eat, martini, sleep.....

NoVa Sk8r
12-27-2004, 10:57 AM
As far as forced laziness - I sleep, listen to skating music, cut skating music, paint costume, clean, sleep, eat, martini, sleep.....

And trust me, flo knows how to mix her drinks! ;) 8-)

flo
12-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Ha! Thanks!
Have shaker will pour! 8-)

NoVa Sk8r
12-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Ha! Thanks!
Have shaker will pour! 8-)

Have liver... will drink! :) 8-) :P

Terri C
12-27-2004, 05:52 PM
Terri C
Snow at the beach! How cool. I grew up in Virginia Beach, and snow is rare, but when it snows, it snows! And as I remember the city's snow removal plan is spring.
My parents still live there, though they are up here for Christmas. How are the roads getting back into town?

Flo,
This is what I've heard. One of my co-wokers returning home for the workweek told us that it took 4 hours to get from Williamsburg to Virginia Beach. My brother's girlfriend left VB today to go back to Richmond (she's from the Beach too) and that drive my brother said took 3 hours. Usually, Richmond is only a hour and a half. This of course was all on I-64.
I don't know how US 13 and the CBBT is, but since that is a rural area, I'd proceed with caution!

NCSkater02
12-27-2004, 06:58 PM
I deal with forced laziness by practicing my jumps in my living room! I figure I'm getting somewhat of a work out and working on my rotation and checking my shoulders/arms.

I do too, until my daughter gets on to me. "If I can't spin (her flag/rifle/saber) you can't jump!" I solve that by moving to my bedroom and jumping in front of the mirror. The dogs think I'm nuts. ;)

Terri--we only got about 3", but my husband said, as he shoveled the driveway, that it's a layer of sleet, a layer of snow, another layer of sleet, and another layer of snow. The drive to work wasn't bad, but the hospital parking lot was a sheet of glass. What is it about hospitals and their parking lots? Are they trying to drum up more business? :lol:

Shinn-Reika
12-27-2004, 08:30 PM
I wish Rochester closed down for snow.

But luckily the rink is a short trudge away.

Maybe soon they'll build a tunnel all the way to the athletics center, and I won't ever have to see the light of day.

Beccapoo2003
12-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Hey I didn't know there were folks here from the Norfolk-VB area. I was there the past few days visiting my mother who lives near downtown. I lived there for 20 years but moved to Alabama before any of the rinks were built, but my family is still there. Man that snow on Sunday was one of the deepest I can remember in Norfolk. I spent about two hours just walking all around watching people try to drive and play in the snow. Pretty entertaining!! Needless to say my calves are pretty sore from walking through all that deep stuff. Ush!
Next visit I'll try to hook up with you guys!
Happy New Year!!
Becca from Alabama

flo
12-29-2004, 11:05 AM
Hi,
I grew up in Va. Beach on Bay Island, and also left before the rinks were built! My parents made it home ok, and were surprised that at the beach - Shore Drive area - there was no snow. The warming effects of the ocean were at work!