View Full Version : Dance Team Looking for Practice Ice in St. Louis Area

nja
12-23-2004, 01:47 PM
My husband and I are going to be driving to AN from the Chicagoland area. Our current plan is to leave on Easter Sunday and drive to somewhere in the St. Louis area and then complete the trip on Monday. We would like to try to find ice time where we can grab a little practice Monday morning while in the St. Louis area. We are a gold/championship level dance team with an original dance to run through as well as compulsories. I mention this because we have run into the situation of freestyle sessions that will allow solo dance, but not allow partnered dance or the OD-type dance with the lifts, etc. This usually depends on the number of skaters. We don't mind being on freestyle sessions as long as it doesn't create problems for anyone AND we can reasonably get through our programs. Does anyone who lives in this area know of any rinks that may be able to accomodate us?

Mel On Ice
12-26-2004, 10:30 AM
If you are coming from Chicago through STL, chances are you will be taking 55 to I-70, which will be taking by 3 rinks. The first will be off 370 in Hazelwood, at the St. Louis Mills Mall. I don't know of any freestyle time, but I think you can, if you wanted to, purchase private ice there.

I think your best option is going to be the St. Peters Rec Plex, my home rink, and we would be happy to have you :). A 2-hour freestyle on Monday morning runs from 6:30 - 8:30 and will set you back about $7 per person. You won't have any trouble on this session, as there are usually 4 or 5 kids max on this session (and the ones that are there are our club's elite skaters who know how to share the ice), and if there's no school groups, stick around for the public from 9-11am.

The last, least viable option is the Wentzville Ice Arena. You would head north on 64/40 off I-70, and exit on route A. It's primary focus is on hockey, but it occasionally offers coffee cup skates, and has an open skate from 11-1 that usually sports one lone mullet guy on hockey skates.

Is the Sunday prior really Easter Sunday? Rats, I was hoping to have a pre-competition party at my house, but I hate to impose on anyone's holiday. Maybe I will have to have a post-comp celebration.

nja
12-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info, Mel. This is exactly what we can use!

Hey, I just checked my calendar and Easter is March 27. I'm not sure why I thought it was later. Anyway, sounds like your party is on!