View Full Version : AN Apps and others "Away"

starskate6.0
12-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Its done :D Its done .
I got my apps for the Adult Nationals, the sectionals and the washington skate away today. My check book is in serious pain :cry: but it will all be worth it Im sure. Had a great skate with one of my jump coaches today.
3 revolutions..... :?: Its all possible Im sure of it now ;) :D Maybe 2006

" The greatest risk in life is not taking one" :D

daisies
12-21-2004, 05:41 PM
Congrats! I am holding off on the entry forms for Sectionals and Nationals until the last minute, so that I don't charge more $$ on my credit card this close to Christmas. But I did e-mail my program questionnaire form/picture for AN today.

It's getting closer!

mskater
12-21-2004, 06:31 PM
Good luck to everyone making a run at Sectionals and Nationals! I'll get there one of these days:] My final competition this season will be the New Year's Invitational. The bright side for me about opting out of Sectionals and Nationals is that I'll get my new program sooner rather than later...

nja
12-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Ours for AN and Mids are all done, too. Hoping to mail tomorrow. Eeek, the certified mail charges are a pain, though!

daisies
12-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Ours for AN and Mids are all done, too. Hoping to mail tomorrow. Eeek, the certified mail charges are a pain, though!
Have you considered doing your AN entry via the Members Only section on the USFSA website? You can save on some of those certified mail charges. You can also enter Mids that way, if you're entering a qualifying event.

starskate6.0
12-21-2004, 07:34 PM

8O Certified mail :?: I thought the application only said you should keep the receipt from the post office as proof that it was mailed. 8O Did I miss something here.... :?:

daisies
12-21-2004, 07:52 PM
8O Certified mail :?: I thought the application only said you should keep the receipt from the post office as proof that it was mailed. 8O Did I miss something here.... :?:
You don't have to send via certified mail, but I have done that in the past just so that I have the peace of mind knowing my entry was received. It is not required though. :)

LoopLoop
12-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Good luck to everyone making a run at Sectionals and Nationals! I'll get there one of these days:] My final competition this season will be the New Year's Invitational. The bright side for me about opting out of Sectionals and Nationals is that I'll get my new program sooner rather than later...

We'll miss you at nationals!
About the new program... let me know if you need music help again!

NoVa Sk8r
12-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Good luck to everyone making a run at Sectionals and Nationals! I'll get there one of these days:] My final competition this season will be the New Year's Invitational.
I hereby dedicate Loops' and my pair program to you in Kansas City!

Mrs Redboots
12-22-2004, 07:09 AM
Do, everybody, keep every finger crossed that we will make it to watch and meet those of you we don't already know. It does depend on whether Husband can blag a business trip (his company's Head Office is in Kansas City), but we already have accommodation booked with dear friends in Overland Park, so..... someone remind me of the exact dates in April?

flo
12-22-2004, 09:25 AM
When are Nationals and Washington due??? I know it's soon.......
After last night's practice I'm not so sure about Washington.

LoopLoop
12-22-2004, 09:29 AM
The Washington application has to be postmarked Jan. 3, and nationals is due Jan. 15.

Terri C
12-22-2004, 11:07 AM
My Washington application went in the mail today!
Like mskater, this will be my last competition of the season, as I start on unifinshed business, that being the Bronze MIF and FS tests.
If I pass the MIF, this will be #5 on the Bronze free!

jmp123
12-22-2004, 11:58 AM
I am so jealous of all of you! I'm dying to go back to AN, even if it's just to watch. Oh well, maybe Santa will bring me a pair partner... Good luck to all of you - wish I could be there to meet everyone IRL.

Mel On Ice
12-22-2004, 02:04 PM
I'm not doing Mids, but I did sent my AN app in the mail last week with a great big check and a great big kiss!

I'm going to Nationals! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Debbie S
12-22-2004, 02:07 PM
I talked with my coach at our lesson Monday and I think I'm going to do New Year's. (No AN for me, I'm only Pre-Bronze :) ). At New Year's, I'm going to do Pre-Bronze FS and maybe Bronze MIF. Is anyone else doing MIF at this comp? My worry is that MIF will be scheduled on Sunday, like last year, and I'll have to get up at the crack of dawn 2 days in a row.

mskater
12-22-2004, 06:28 PM
I hereby dedicate Loops' and my pair program to you in Kansas City!

I'm honored; now you guys have no choice but to bring back the gold!!:]

Thanks for the offer Loops, I'll definitely take you up on that. Now I've just got to find some music! As tiresome and frustrating it can be to search for good music, I really do enjoy this part of putting together a new program :)

mskater
12-22-2004, 06:32 PM
My Washington application went in the mail today!
Like mskater, this will be my last competition of the season

I look forward to meeting you in Washington Terri! We'll have to make a toast for An in 2006 :D

NYCitySk8r
12-23-2004, 04:37 AM
I better get cracking on these applications! I will be doing the Washington competition , as well as sectionals and hopefully nationals only if I make the top 4. On top of that I just got a brand new pair of boots and blades yesterday that I have to break in! January is going to be a busy month!

starskate6.0
12-26-2004, 10:56 AM
When are Nationals and Washington due??? I know it's soon.......
After last night's practice I'm not so sure about Washington.

FLO

Washington jan 5, Nationals jan 15 , Better be quick. ;)

NoVa Sk8r
12-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Actually, the New Year's application must be postmarked by Monday, Jan. 3 ...

Terri C
12-26-2004, 11:48 AM
FLOWashington jan 5

Actually, the deadline for Washington is January 3!

starskate6.0
12-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Actually, the New Year's application must be postmarked by Monday, Jan. 3 ...

8O " Opps" you are right it is the 3rd...

flo
12-27-2004, 10:42 AM
I have to get started! I think I'll send in the application and hope the program is presentable by then!
Thanks

starskate6.0
12-27-2004, 07:41 PM
I have to get started! I think I'll send in the application and hope the program is presentable by then!
Thanks

It will be Flo, Iv seen you skate, your a STAR :D

flo
12-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Starskate - thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm going to give it a shot! It will be my first free skate since 2001. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone again, as the Halloween event was such fun.

Michigansk8er
12-28-2004, 03:47 PM
I'm not doing Mids, but I did sent my AN app in the mail last week with a great big check and a great big kiss!

I'm going to Nationals! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Way to go Mel!!!!!!! I wish I could be there to cheer you on. Have a blast!!!!!

starskate6.0
12-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Starskate - thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm going to give it a shot! It will be my first free skate since 2001. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone again, as the Halloween event was such fun.

Hey Flo

I wont have a lot of time to skate between now and Washington, :roll: Not a lot of practice time.
But Im still going to be there and Im looking forward to seeing you skate flo, Let me know what events you are in and Ill be there to watch. :D

See you there.

" The greatest risk in life is not taking one "

climbsk8
12-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Hey guys --

I'm thinking about skipping Sectionals in NYC ... I'm worried that it might be too expensive. And I think I might have to go by myself .. my usual partner in crime has a work commitment and can't go.

On the other hand, I'm dying to debut d-sal and d-loop in my programs, and I'm not excited about doing it at Nationals. So I dunno what to do.

Anybody else sitting on the fence?

Debbie S
12-29-2004, 02:24 PM
I mailed my New Year's app today, so I guess I'm going. :) I'm doing Pre-Bronze FS and Bronze MIF.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

climbsk8, are you doing New Year's? Wow - a 2 sal and a 2 loop - those are jumps I will likely only land in my dreams. :bow:

I thought about going to NYC - I'd love to compete at Sky Rink - but I decided it would get too expensive - I'm currently a full-time student. But next year, the Winter Classic is definitely a possibility. By then, I'll probably have a new program, and hopefully a job as well.

climbsk8
12-29-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm just going to throw the dsal and dloop in my program .... and hope for the best. I make no promises about the landings!!! :)

sk8pics
01-02-2005, 03:36 PM
I dropped off my New Year's application today at the Post office. Nothiing like the last minute! But I was actually sick the last few days and couldn't make it to the rink to talk things over with my coach, never mind practice!

I'll be doing pre-bronze free skating and the interpretive event. So I guess I'll be with Debbie and Terri! That will be fun to know some people.

Pat

skaternum
01-02-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm just going to throw the dsal and dloop in my program .... and hope for the best. I make no promises about the landings!!! :) I love it!! Heck, given those concepts, I think you should throw in a triple!

climbsk8
01-03-2005, 09:13 AM
I will *only* try a triple if there is a full crew of paramedics standing by. On the ice with me. With a defibrillator ready (because if I did land it, I would die of a heart attack from the shock.)

Seriously though, I haven't had the best of luck at Sectionals .... had the flu two years ago, then had a near-death experience on the plane ride in, then last year I blew my knee out during my first practice and spent the next three weeks on crutches.

If I sign up, I don't know whether I'll be asking for a shot at redemption....or just more punishment.

InsideAxel
01-03-2005, 09:55 AM
L,

Are you going to DC?

C'ya!

Kelton

I will *only* try a triple if there is a full crew of paramedics standing by. On the ice with me. With a defibrillator ready (because if I did land it, I would die of a heart attack from the shock.)

Seriously though, I haven't had the best of luck at Sectionals .... had the flu two years ago, then had a near-death experience on the plane ride in, then last year I blew my knee out during my first practice and spent the next three weeks on crutches.

If I sign up, I don't know whether I'll be asking for a shot at redemption....or just more punishment.

flo
01-03-2005, 02:01 PM
The New Year's application is finally in the mail. Hope to finish the program before long!
Sent off a couple of questions about the international event - I won't be able to go too often, so still not sure if I want to go for one event or wait for a partner or for interpretive to be offered. Looking forward to painting a new dress.

Mrs Redboots
01-04-2005, 06:34 AM
Sent off a couple of questions about the international event - I won't be able to go too often, so still not sure if I want to go for one event or wait for a partner or for interpretive to be offered. Looking forward to painting a new dress.Oh, Flo - you must! You can always do the Mountain Cup the previous weekend (which does have Interpretive - the schedules for this are out and are posted on the Geriatric Figure Skaters' website, among other places). We are definitely going, even though there's very little for us there - Husband might skate Bronze Dance with Other Woman, but they haven't decided yet. Probably not. But we'll go for at least one day, just to watch!

And as we won't know until the last minute whether or not we'll get to come and watch Adult Nationals (Husband is desperately, desperately trying to find an excuse to visit his head office - in Kansas City - that week), and meet those of you we don't already know, the more of you who commit to coming over here this summer, the better!

jenlyon60
01-04-2005, 07:05 AM
At the rate that the dollar is plummeting.... the UK pound goes a lot further in the US than the USD does in the UK and Euro-land.

flo
01-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Mrs Redboots, how far apart are the two cities, and from Zurich I found great rates from here to Zurich also.
Thanks!

sk8pics
01-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Hey Flo-- From what airport did you find a great rate to Zurich? I may go to Oberstdorf, too, but I haven't checked into flight details or anything else yet!

Thanks,
Pat

flo
01-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Hi Pat,
It was Delta. I'm hopng there will be a few others offered as well.
Starskate - can you borrow a plane and fly us over? ;)

sk8pics
01-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks, Flo, good to know and Delta's prices may come down even more. But which airport was it?

Thanks,
Pat

Mrs Redboots
01-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Flo, from Zurich you could hire a car - it would probably be several hours' drive. Lyon is the nearest airport. Not sure about trains from Zurich to Grenoble - I think you have to change in Geneva (the daughter did it one year, and I think it was rather slow, but do-able). They are talking about organising a coach (tour bus) to take people from the two cities if enough people want it (I gather it's about 7 hours' drive), and I expect there will be lifts available, too.

flo
01-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Wow, 7hrs. Perhaps a flight, thought I'd like to see the country, and a bus full of us would be fun.
Thanks

Mrs Redboots
01-06-2005, 09:16 AM
Wow, 7hrs. Perhaps a flight, thought I'd like to see the country, and a bus full of us would be fun.
ThanksNo, there isn't a convenient plane, alas - we've already gone into that! I think a bus-load would be enormous fun - I can think of one or two people on this forum who I am pretty sure are going who would enliven it no end!

I'm almost sure we'll go for the first day, even if we aren't skating (possibility Husband could dance with his Other Partner, but they haven't decided yet), and then probably go on and finish our holiday elsewhere.

Beccapoo2003
01-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Just for the record I'm in for the bus ride from Villard to O'dorf.
Only one problem....will it be possible to pack enough Vodka Nips?Hmmmmmm......
Becca from Alabama

Michigansk8er
01-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Looks like I might be going to AN after all. Hey Mel...........is Denise going?

Mrs Redboots
01-07-2005, 05:57 AM
Just for the record I'm in for the bus ride from Villard to O'dorf.
Only one problem....will it be possible to pack enough Vodka Nips?Hmmmmmm......
Becca from AlabamaYeah, that's who I was thinking of...... ;) Or would the bus get stuck in a snowdrift with you on it???

manleywoman
01-08-2005, 06:36 PM
I registered online for Eastern Sectionals and Nationals today! Glad it's out of the way. At Nationals I'll be doing Junior Ladies 1, hopefully Championship Masters if Easterns goes well (longshot, but a girl can dream, right?) and or the first time in many years . . . Masters Interp! I found a piece of music that begged for me to skate to it, plus the costume requirements are very low-maintenance, so I decided to go for it this year.

Now I just wish I'd bought those plane tickets to Sectionals a few weeks back, when they were $50 cheaper. :evil: :evil: Oh well. I'll wait a few more weeks to see if the price fluctuates downward again.

I'll deal with the Oberstdorf competition application later. But I plan on going. Not doing Mountain Cup though.

climbsk8
01-10-2005, 08:38 AM
In response to your earlier post ... No, I'm not going to DC ... but thanks for asking.

I'm still sitting on the fence about Sectionals. I will probably wait until the very last moment to decide ... I REALLY want to test intermediate moves and I don't know if I can handle a test and a comp ... and work at the same time!!!

Anybody else from NC going to Sectionals this year?

LoopLoop
01-10-2005, 11:03 AM
I registered online for nationals! I'm signed up for freestyle, and NoVa and I are in for pairs. 8O

flo
01-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Finally registered for Nationals. I'll be in Silver II.

NoVa Sk8r
01-10-2005, 11:19 AM
I registered online for nationals! I'm signed up for freestyle, and NoVa and I are in for pairs. 8OSo I guess I have to go now. ;)
I've not yet registered myself in singles.

starskate6.0
01-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Finally registered for Nationals. I'll be in Silver II.

And Ill be there to see you skate ;)

starskate6.0
01-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Hotels booked, ready to roll. ;) Im hoping I qualify for the gold Championship level at sectionals in NY,

Question : Is this the first time gold level skaters are doing qualifying events for nationals :?: I know we can still go at gold level with out qualifying but I thought Id ask, any clues. :?: :?? :D

daisies
01-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Question : Is this the first time gold level skaters are doing qualifying events for nationals :?: I know we can still go at gold level with out qualifying but I thought Id ask, any clues. :?: :?? :D

No, it started in 1997, when they changed the qualifying events to "Masters" and "Gold." 1996 was the first time there was a qualifying event, and it was called "Championship Senior," because at the time the adult events at (standard) sectionals were named "Adult Senior" and "Adult Junior."

flo
01-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Starskate - thanks! Should be interesting! We should be seeing the New Year's schedule soon - looking forward to seeing you and everyone skate :) .

starskate6.0
01-11-2005, 12:57 PM
A New years program of events would be nice, any word on Practice ice there :?:

Im looking forward to this event and seeing a lot of people skate.
best of luck to Flo and Mika, and to all who are going, Let me know your events and ill try and make it to cheer you all on.

( Progress report : Jumps :evil: footwork :D spins :giveup: )

see you all there.

:The greatest risk in life is not taking one" :D

starskate6.0
01-11-2005, 12:58 PM
No, it started in 1997, when they changed the qualifying events to "Masters" and "Gold." 1996 was the first time there was a qualifying event, and it was called "Championship Senior," because at the time the adult events at (standard) sectionals were named "Adult Senior" and "Adult Junior."

Thanks for the info daisies . ;)

Michigansk8er
01-15-2005, 10:26 AM
Just registered online. I'll just be doing interp this year.

Now, off to locate a photo so I can get the rest of the paperwork in the mail.

Stormy
01-17-2005, 09:31 AM
On the USFSA site it said the actual deadline is tomorrow, the 18th, since the 15th was a Saturday and today the 17th is a holiday. Well, my app is gone and I'll be in Silver Ladies I. I can't wait, my first Nationals! :)

sk8er1964
01-17-2005, 12:53 PM
On the USFSA site it said the actual deadline is tomorrow, the 18th, since the 15th was a Saturday and today the 17th is a holiday. Well, my app is gone and I'll be in Silver Ladies I. I can't wait, my first Nationals! :)

Maggie Harding sent out an email saying that that informaiton was incorrect - they were due on the 15th, and if you didn't get yours in by then you are out of luck.

Mine went in certified mail on the 15th - nothing like waiting until the last minute! :)

PattyP
01-17-2005, 02:46 PM
Mine went in certified mail on the 15th - nothing like waiting until the last minute! :)

Me too! Took 'em to the post office Saturday morning. I'm now broke! I decided to enter both qualifying and Gold II at sectionals just for the fun of it. Now I will have 2 opportunities to humiliate myself ;)

I entered Gold II and Masters Interp at AN.

PattyP

sk8er1964
01-17-2005, 03:38 PM
Me too! Took 'em to the post office Saturday morning. I'm now broke! I decided to enter both qualifying and Gold II at sectionals just for the fun of it. Now I will have 2 opportunities to humiliate myself ;)

I entered Gold II and Masters Interp at AN.

PattyP

:lol: What section? I entered the qualifying at Mids, but not the Gold II or any other event (although it looks like they have some fun ones). I figured the altitude is going to kill me as it is, and I don't need to die twice in one weekend.

I'm in Gold II and Masters Interp at AN too. I've never done interp at AN, just twice - at a kiddie comp and the Buckeye (where I competed against nobody, since the other lady had to withdraw. Fortunately, I won the gold :lol: )

PattyP
01-17-2005, 05:51 PM
:lol: What section?

I'm in Gold II and Masters Interp at AN too. I've never done interp at AN, just twice - at a kiddie comp and the Buckeye (where I competed against nobody, since the other lady had to withdraw. Fortunately, I won the gold :lol: )

Pacific Coast Section. Where is Mids this year? I have a tough time with altitude too. I suggest arriving early to give yourself a few days to adjust. I can't seem to get through that 2:30 at sea level right now!

I love the interp event. I always do something silly as I still have a hard time taking myself seriously in this sport. When I learn how to skate, I will do a pretty program. ;) I won twice in Interp II, but I think Masters Interp will be a different story.

I look forward to seeing you at AN!

sk8er1964
01-19-2005, 09:46 PM
It's in Colorado Springs. I've never in my life skated at that kind of altitude (heck, I've barely walked in that kind of altitude, and only in the Alps when I was in my early 20's!). I remember that Grand Prix final where the in-super-good-shape elite skaters were winded - and I am nowhere near in the shape those guys were. I think I'd need a month to get used to it, but instead I'll have a day and 1/2. I have asthma too. Ugh.

Looking forward to meeting you too at AN. I'll be rooming with Michigansk8er. Where we don't know yet. We'll figure it out as we get closer.

pennybeagle
01-20-2005, 12:36 AM
It's in Colorado Springs. I've never in my life skated at that kind of altitude (heck, I've barely walked in that kind of altitude, and only in the Alps when I was in my early 20's!). I remember that Grand Prix final where the in-super-good-shape elite skaters were winded - and I am nowhere near in the shape those guys were. I think I'd need a month to get used to it, but instead I'll have a day and 1/2. I have asthma too. Ugh.

I'm not going to Midwest sectionals after all, but here's some advice for getting used to the altitude (I went to college in Colorado Springs, and my roommate was on the Div. I soccer team, which started training immediately in August, and I competed in diving, which started pre-season training in September)

Drink LOTS of water. It helps in adjusting to the altitude, plus it's really dry in Colorado Springs. Despite the current low-carb mania, I've heard that carbs are good for adjusting to training at high altitude. Do NOT drink alcohol (until you're done) ;) I've also heard that additional iron is good, if it is from food and not from a pill.

Because there is less oxygen in the air that you're used to, you might breathe faster and your heart rate may accelerate, even when resting (your body's way of compensating to get its usual amount of oxygen, I presume).

What it came down to in practical terms (for me) was this: running a mile at altitude in good shape felt like running a mile at sea level when I was out of shape.

Skate America used to be held at the Broadmoor a lot, I think. I recall seeing skaters winded after their long program as well. However, skaters are often winded at Skate America because it's so early in the season.

So...don't worry. Train like usual. You'll do great. And besides, everyone else will be dealing with the altitude factor.