View Full Version : Rental skate sizes - Arghhh!!!

garyc254
12-21-2004, 09:45 AM
I was having a debate last night with the assistant rink manager about rental figure skate sizes for kids.

He contends that kids should go one size over their shoe size. That's what the rink staff recommends to new figure skaters.

I contend that, on the norm, it should be at least one size smaller than their shoe size for a snug fit so that the kids aren't wobbling on the ice.

What's been your experience with rentals?

:??

Darn, I meant to put this in the Parents/Coaches On-Ice forum.

dbny
12-21-2004, 10:55 AM
Defiinitely one size smaller!

CanAmSk8ter
12-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Ditto. Sometimes the kids insist that the smaller ones hurt, but I tell parents to at least start there and go to shoe size if the kid just can't take the smaller skate.

Just a thought- does this guy also believe in the "two pairs of heavy socks" rule? Those are often the same people who believe in the "one size up" myth.

sue123
12-21-2004, 11:11 AM
i've always had the one size smaller, at one rink, it was 2 sizes smaller. i've never heard of kids wearing one size up. the only rationale i could see is if the parent was buying them, and 5they wanted to leave room to grow, although this isn't exactly good either, but to an unknowing parent, it might make sense, just like how you buy your kids a shoe size higher than thye normally wear so they could grow into it. but with rentals, what's the point?

Clarice
12-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Definitely smaller. When I've had kids wobbling around in my Basic Skills classes and have sent them back for smaller rentals, they've invariably had better results. U.S. Figure Skating has an information sheet somewhere about how to choose the proper skate size - we got ours with the information they sent us for last year's Skate With Us clinic. I don't know whether it's also available on their web site, but you might try. If you can find it, it would be a good thing to show the folks at your rink. We've got ours posted right next to the rental skate counter.

TashaKat
12-21-2004, 03:17 PM
Usually smaller, sometimes the same size as the 'normal' shoes but never bigger!

Mrs Redboots
12-22-2004, 06:54 AM
Usually smaller, sometimes the same size as the 'normal' shoes but never bigger!Bearing in mind, of course, that UK shoe sizes are very different from American ones! It's many years since I last hired a pair of skates, but I seem to remember our rink had the Continental sizes up for comparison, as most people know their Continental shoe size - but I could be dreaming....

Blosmbubbs
12-22-2004, 11:57 PM
I'd say go one size down. There is really nothing we can do about the skates hurting. I wish there was then the poor kid wouldn't be complaining all the time.

garyc254
12-23-2004, 08:29 AM
I contacted Reidel about their rental skates and sizing. Here was their response:

Thanks for your email and the question regarding skate size.

As you are aware, the correct size of skates is necessary for the student do
learn the proper ways of learning to skate.

If the skater doesn't know what size skate to wear and there is no one
available to size them, the following rule of thumb can be used for Riedell (rental) skates.

Girls & boys size 4 and smaller- same size skate as street shoe size.

Ladies- 1/2 to 1 full size smaller than street shoe size.

Men's- same size to 1/2 size smaller than street shoe size.

This is only a suggestion and can differ for each skater depending on the
shape of their foot. i.e.- wide ball, narrow heel, long toes, short toes,
flat feet, etc.

AshBugg44
12-28-2004, 01:28 PM
Well, little kids often tend to have wide feet, and thus often go with either their shoe size or one size up. However, with older kids/teens/adults I recommend a size down from their shoe size.