View Full Version : Jingle Bells or Santa Smells: 20-26 December 2004

Mrs Redboots
12-21-2004, 09:40 AM
(Couldn't resist the thread title!)

We went to skate at my husband's other partner's rink last night, mainly because they'd been to the Dune of Flanders Cup and had brought back some raclette cheese to be part of our daughter's Christmas present (very long story!). Anyway, it was great to see her and her husband, and she and my husband worked a bit on their Foxtrot and 14-Step. We can't yet decide whether they should do Oberstdorf or not; it's all a bit iffy. On the one hand, we all want to be there, on the other, unless Husband and I suddenly do pairs (and with only one pairs class we won't be competitive, and while I don't much mind that, he does), there's very little for us. And I don't think the other partner and her husband are really into pairs, although she does free skating as well as dance and solo dance.

As well as them working together, all four of us worked on pairs spins, and they showed us another entrance into a "proper" pairs spin, which they said was easier, but I'm sure Husband and I are doing something wrong, as whatever we do I seem to end up under his right armpit! Or would, if I were shorter! I'll have to get our coach to look at it and show us what we're doing wrong; our current arm-in-arm spin is wonderful now, and we'll keep that for our dance test.

Meanwhile husband & I also worked on controlled 3s - pushing on an edge round the hockey goal, turning at the top of the circle and holding the edge back to the line. Husband is disgustingly good at this, certainly for 3 of the turns, but I didn't see his LFI3. And as for his Mohawks - sheesh..... yet he looks a complete klutz doing a simple back edge at times..... men!

And when it came to the dance interval, we were very gratified to find we'd got a great deal faster across the ice, and were keeping up with the third couple, who are significantly better than either our friends or us! The friends are marginally better than us, but only marginally!

skaternum
12-21-2004, 11:25 AM
<wiping tears from eye> Oh, Annabel! The title is just too perfect. You're so funny!

Melzorina
12-21-2004, 12:57 PM
I'm going crazy, no more lessons till 2005!!!

Mel On Ice
12-21-2004, 03:04 PM
I agree, great title!

Bells: Christmas show was great both nights. Our synchro Christmas party was lots of fun AND our practice was excellent.

Goals for '05 have been set, and are subject to change: flip, lutz, speed, camel, camel-sit, passing freestyle 4.

Smells: why does work have to interfere with skating? I wish I could get special "adult skater" compensation! My lessons have been virtually non-existent since going back to work, and freestyle sessions are precious. I wish Santa could tuck a few nighttime freestyles in my stocking, preferably on Monday nights (this is where Gary pipes in about Kirkwood...)

garyc254
12-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Bells: Christmas show was great both nights.

I wish Santa could tuck a few nighttime freestyles in my stocking, preferably on Monday nights (this is where Gary pipes in about Kirkwood...)

I talked to someone that saw the first performance of Mel's synchro team's show skate and they were quite impressed. 8-)

Mel, no Kirkwood on December 27, but the MVFSC (Susan's club) has a freestyle session next Monday evening at the North County rink. 6:00 to 7:00 pm. $ 10 walk-on. Susan and I will both be skating it. The ice should be almost empty. Maybe 3 or 4 skaters.

Susan would love it if you came. :D

TashaKat
12-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Nothing to add I'm afraid as I've not managed to sort my life out sufficiently to start skating again yet :( BUT am hoping to start group lessons in the New Year as long as where I'm working will let me have Tuesdays off instead of Thursdays (fingers crossed). Group lessons aren't the best option in the world but at least it's some ice time.

Love the title Annabel :)

I hope that everyone is well, Merry Christmas/Seasons Greetings to you all :D

Lx

Mel On Ice
12-21-2004, 04:46 PM
I talked to someone that saw the first performance of Mel's synchro team's show skate and they were quite impressed. 8-)

Mel, no Kirkwood on December 27, but the MVFSC (Susan's club) has a freestyle session next Monday evening at the North County rink. 6:00 to 7:00 pm. $ 10 walk-on. Susan and I will both be skating it. The ice should be almost empty. Maybe 3 or 4 skaters.

Susan would love it if you came. :D

aww, that was nice, we all wished they would have come down to say hi.

Funny I was just talking about you, Annemarie is my new boss here at PwC, and she knows who you and Susan are! I will have to see about 12/27, the inlaw family will be here, and I think my hostess skills will still be in demand, although if they want to do nothing (they are big on naps) I may be able to sneak away. Plus, I was trying to name the STL rinks I haven't skated on yet, and North County is one of them.

Card in the mail for you and S, mailed to her house. Big hugs to the both of you for the holidays.

Mrs Redboots
12-22-2004, 07:06 AM
A very mixed day!

Jingle Bells: I seem to be getting one 3-revolution spin per session at the moment. Which is a vast improvement on anything I've had before, but I do both want and need a reliably consistent one, and ideally 4-5 revolutions!

Husband joined me for first five minutes of our lesson, as we wanted the coach to look at our pairs spin. He (coach) said that the hold wasn't firm enough, and he did one with me which was magic. But I still couldn't do it with Husband.... partly me bottling out, partly he's not altogether stable, don't quite know what. But we carry on working. However the coach also looked at our dance spin, and was most complimentary at its improvement (5 good revs, and I think we might have squeezed one more). I asked did it matter that we were on FO edges, not BI ones, and he said no, not at all, since that was actually considered more difficult! He said dancers often do that hold, but usually in different positions.

After Husband left, we worked on controlled 3s, and various other exercises. Got lots of speed in my BO edges, although still rather flat, and my BI edges are way better than they were.

Santa Smells: FI3s. Yuck. Hopeless! Check virtually non-existent. I can do a slightly better LFI3, but the RFI one is dire. Much better if I do them near the barrier - not for safety, but simply to keep my body in the right place. Not even holding on, or grabbing distance.... did improve them in my practice, mind.

Also LBO edge round the hockey circle. Couldn't find the edge at all. Having said that, vastly improved from last time I had to do them in my lesson - at least I had some flow!

Rudolf ran away: Spent much of my practice choreographing what might one day be a new solo free dance. Interested to find that I am far more aware of how slow I am than last time I choreographed something! And, although it was still slow and horrible, it did improve a bit as it went along! Plus I could do a FO3-turn almost without slowing down if I did a huge cross-roll and really held the edge first! But it will be a long while, if ever, before it's competitive, especially with having to have a minimum 3-revolution spin in it! I did, as I said, get that once, but mostly I simply don't get my weight in the right place and go on my toe-rake before I know it!

PS Does anybody know the rest of this appalling jingle?

jenlyon60
12-22-2004, 08:05 AM
Jingle Bells
Monday: Worked on FI3s, well mostly RFI3s. Gradually getting better. By end of dance lesson, was almost able to do the Tango mohawk into the RFI3 by myself with a bit of flow. Well, can definitely do it with just a "2 finger" confidence hold from the coach and also did some in proper dance hold starting from the Promenade, and it felt really easy for the first time ever.

Today: Solo RFI3s were there before my lesson, then of course almost disappeared during my lesson, so then after I got one good turn, we moved on to the American Waltz. Coach said that my "staying over my skating side" was much improved and the turns were more controlled. Finally he wanted a couple of solo Blues choctaws ... 1st one I had to touch down, then the next 2 had really nice flow and no touch-downs.

Santa Smells
Today's RFI3s. I kept scraping the entry edge right at the cusp, most of the time. Am not getting my foot and my body in the same plane of existence when it comes to doing these beasties. But I am generally not dreading them as I was, so I guess there is future hope.

Some back cross-rolls were scratchy. But even with the scratchiness, I am starting to get some flow. I commented that if I can get rid of the scratchiness, they will really move nice, so then I'll be able to move onto working on improving the free leg position.

Melzorina
12-22-2004, 08:54 AM

I only know Jingle bells, Santa smells, Rudolf ran away...Mr happy filled his nappy on the motorway...? :oops: How random?! Nothing to do with christmas, but hey.

flo
12-22-2004, 09:31 AM
Santa smells - we ran through more of the program last night. It's very pretty, but loaded with difficulty. It reminds me of when I first started skating - that I could do some things in the other direction, or on the other foot, but of course not the one that was choreographed into the program. I can change some of the elements, but I'd like to learn as many of the new ones as possible.

Jingle bells - the first part of the program is recognizable!

TashaKat
12-22-2004, 01:11 PM

Jingle Bells
Santa Smells
Rudolph ran away
The Batmobile
Has lost a wheel
On the M1 Motorway

is one very bad version!

There are others which I can't remember ... but will probably come to me at 2am!

Melzorina
12-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Jingle Bells
Santa Smells
Rudolph ran away
The Batmobile
Has lost a wheel
On the M1 Motorway

is one very bad version!

There are others which I can't remember ... but will probably come to me at 2am!

I also remembered another one. Jingle bells, Batman smells, Robin laid and egg, Mr Silly lost his w*lly on the motorway....

Why is it to do with motorways?!

LoopLoop
12-22-2004, 01:30 PM
The version from when I was young...

Jingle bells
Batman smells
Robin laid an egg
The batmobile
Has lost its wheels
And the Joker got away.

This version is also on the Barenaked Ladies' new holiday CD. :bow:

Melzorina
12-22-2004, 01:34 PM
Jingle Bells
Santa Smells
Rudolph ran away
The Batmobile
Has lost a wheel
On the M1 Motorway

is one very bad version!

I also remembered another one. Jingle bells, Batman smells, Robin laid and egg, Mr Silly lost his w*lly on the motorway....

Why is it to do with motorways?!

skatingatty
12-22-2004, 03:05 PM
Jingle bells: I got back my axel last week, after a few frustrating weeks of only landing 10% or less of them. The holiday show is over with- hallelujah. Now I have another costume sitting around in my closet that I probably won't wear again. Anyone need a black sparkly top hat? How about a black sequined showgirl outfit? :)

Santa Smells: For the 2nd time in a month, I developed a huge bruise all around my bunion after skating. It hurt like hell and I haven't skated all week. Just when I really need to be skating to burn off holiday feasts and also have some time off from work to skate! This has never happened with any other skates. Hope I can get through a lesson on Friday.

Shinn-Reika
12-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Jingle Bells: After a breif tackle with security (a single figure skate can't be allowed as carry on baggage), I managed to transport my skates all the way back home with me.

Santa Smells: I won't be able to learn anyhting new for a while, and the closest good rink is really far away.

batikat
12-22-2004, 05:50 PM
Jingle Bells
Santa Smells
Rudolph ran away
The Batmobile
Has lost a wheel
On the M1 Motorway

is one very bad version!

The one I knew which made perfect sense at the time went like this..

Jingle Bells
Batman Smells
Robin ran away
The Batmobile
Has lost a wheel
And ran into the hay! (leading into the repeat..)

Hey!
Jingle bells..... etc

Terri C
12-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Jingle Bells:
My program for Friday is going well- it's good for now, but New Year's= watch out!!!

Batman (oops, sorry! :lol: ) er, Santa smells:

This was the first time on the ice since last Friday, and it took awhile to get my skating legs back.

Also, we're getting tons of cookies, candy, etc from the doctors that work on our unit and I was sluggish because of that!

Melzorina
12-22-2004, 11:22 PM
Santa reeks!: You're all making me jelous!
Seeing as I'm having no lessons, I'm going to say a few things...One being that it's 5:20am and I'm refusing to let myself go to bed so then I'll be tired today and then it'll be my birthday sooner (Good idea!?). Second thing is that I love skating more than life itself. This forum is cool because if I try and talk to friends about it they just think I'm obsessed and don't get what I'm on about. Which annoys me. I also love my friends that I made when I started skating, and I also love my instructor, who's the coolest 30-odd year old I have ever met. And I love my skates too...even though they aren't very good I still love them. When I first bought them I wore them round the house and even took them to bed with me because I was afraid they'd get stolen.

I'm sooo tired. That post had no relevance whatsoever. Sorry peeps! :oops:

[EDIT]
it's now 9:20am and I still haven't been to bed. :)

Mrs Redboots
12-23-2004, 07:29 AM
Well, a very happy birthday to you, Melzorina!

And to everybody else, the happiest of Christmas seasons. Whether you celebrate Christmas itself, or whether you mark the turning of the year in other ways, I do hope you have a truly wonderful time!

And smooth ice and sharp blades for the New Year!

I shall be back on Monday, or Tuesday at the very latest, and will catch up with everybody then!

garyc254
12-23-2004, 08:26 AM
they just think I'm obsessed and don't get what I'm on about.

Addicted to the ice, huh!!! Welcome to the club. :D

It's not how good the skates are, but how good you are in the skates.

Have a very Happy Birthday!!

:D :D

dbny
12-24-2004, 01:37 PM
Jingle Bells:
I was too tired to really work after teaching the Mommy & Me on Wednesday, but I did fool around a little while my friend tried out her new skates. I just wanted to try to figure out where I was going wrong with the Choctaw in the power three pattern. I discovered that I was, once again, looking down. In fixing that, I happened to look straight out at a right angle to the long axis as I prepared to step forward, and....voila! I repeated it a few times to be sure. I can't believe how easy it was to fix this immense problem. Now if I can only manage to do the three after it.

Two foot spins are really fast and centered. I still get a little freaked out though and do not hold them as long as I could. Not yet ready to go back to one foot.

Santa Smells:
Still cannot do the FO three after stepping forward on the power threes. This seems to come and go depending on the crossover. If I do a half *ssed crossover, I can step forward and do the three, but that is no longer good enough.

Skating with Jazzpants at outdoor rink on Thurs got rained out :cry: . We are shooting for Sunday indoors, but the rink will be mobbed, I'm sure.

sk8pics
12-24-2004, 02:38 PM
Jingle Bells Great practice today with just 2 other skaters and one coach on the ice. Lots of stroking and crossovers, did some edges too. And did my new pre-bronze free program twice with the music and my interpretive program once with the music. My first jump in the pre-bronze program hits exactly the right point in the music now and I'm pretty psyched about that. The program is feeling much more comfortable so I'm optimistic about the New Year's Invitational in Ashburn. Also yesterday in my lesson I did "the best salchow I've ever seen you do" according to my coach. 8-)

Santa smells No skating for me until next Wednesday!! Hopefully I'll still remember my programs and the progress I've made recently on my salchow.

Have a Merry Christmas and happy skating,
Pat

AstarZ41
12-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Kinda didn't feel so well this morning (11 am, must have been too early!) but I warmed up by the end of the practice.

Went through all my jumps to make sure they're there. Then worked on axels. I'm making some progress, I guess. I now land mostly facing forward and then back spin the rest. I still need to work on transfering my weight to the right faster and pulling in quicker.

Santa smells: the only smelly thing were my outside spread eagles. Whyyyy can't I do one?? If I lean on the boards and get in position it feels fine. Not even a "pulling" feeling in my muscles. But then when I actually try it, I can stay on the flats for 2 seconds at most. :evil:

sue123
12-24-2004, 03:21 PM
so i didn't really get to skate, but i've had skated relating incidents

santa smells: i went over to the rink today, only to find that they were closed. they're open on school holidays, and last week i looked at the schedule, it said they were open. i got there, and they were closed. and i really really REALLY want to skate.

jingle bells: i convinced my sister to go ice skating when we go skiing in the poconos over new years. my sister is actually going to put on a piar of ice skates and get on the ice!! :bow: you have no idea how excited this makes me, since she's always scared of it. but it's amazing how a little blackmail goes a long way :twisted:

it's probably for the best though that i didn't skate. my ankle has been giving me problems lately. it's doesn't seem to really want to be attached to the rest of my leg. i sense the surgery to get it fixed looming overhead.

starskate6.0
12-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Hi guys and girls

Just a note to wish you all a great holiday, Im working and stuck in Erie PA tonight so santa has no idea where I am.
I hope you all get what you want from santa this year, Ill have to work preety hard on the ice next year to get what I want ( a good camel spin ) :roll: .

Have a good one.

]Starskate 6.0

;) ;) ;)

Figureskates
12-24-2004, 09:48 PM
Merry Christmas everyone.

I am one of those unfortunates who has to work nightshift...so I can see if Santa really comes down the chimney!!

NoVa Sk8r
12-24-2004, 11:08 PM
The camel spin is WAY overrated ... ;)
Hmmm ... maybe we can have a gift exchange? ... I'll trade you one of my camels for an axel or double sal?

I hope you all get what you want from santa this year. I'll have to work pretty hard on the ice next year to get what I want (a good camel spin ) :roll: .

starskate6.0
12-25-2004, 05:15 PM
The camel spin is WAY overrated ... ;)
Hmmm ... maybe we can have a gift exchange? ... I'll trade you one of my camels for an axel or double sal?

Hey NoVa

Not a bad idea, Id be happy to give you a double for camel ;)
Im working on some other neat stuff this year in hope the judges won't notice my lack of skills in spinning. :lol: Have a good one NoVa :D

" The greatest risk in life is not taking one" :D

NoVa Sk8r
12-25-2004, 05:32 PM
Haha.
Actually, I'm glad to hear that other adult males cannot spin--makes me look better! :lol:

My jumps are kinda wonky at times, so I try to disguise them with hydroblade entrances and 'Tano variations. .. anything to distract 'dem judges!

skaternum
12-25-2004, 08:58 PM
My jumps are kinda wonky at times, so I try to disguise them with hydroblade entrances and 'Tano variations. .. anything to distract 'dem judges!I find that the right rhinestone earrings will do wonders in that regard. They draw the attention upwards and away from one's feet! (Drat. Now I've given away my secret weapon.) :)

NoVa Sk8r
12-25-2004, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the secret skaternum tip.
(But do I really need any more rhinestones on my outfits? :P )

My tip is ... jazz hands. Hypnotize the judges with sleight-of-hand!

doubletoe
12-26-2004, 12:06 AM
The version from when I was young...

Jingle bells
Batman smells
Robin laid an egg
The batmobile
Has lost its wheels
And the Joker got away.

This version is also on the Barenaked Ladies' new holiday CD. :bow:

Yep, that's the one I remember, too!

starskate6.0
12-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the secret skaternum tip.
(But do I really need any more rhinestones on my outfits? :P )

My tip is ... jazz hands. Hypnotize the judges with sleight-of-hand!

Hey NoVa

Jazz hands are good, I find a big smile does a lot for those of us who lack spinning skills. :lol: :lol: . I thought about skating topless but my body said it was a family show :lol: :lol: ;) .

" the greatest risk in life is not taking one "

jazzpants
12-29-2004, 03:12 PM
I don't have jazz hands. Would you settle for jazzpants? :P :twisted:

I was visiting my in-laws in the NYC area, so this week and next week will be a SPECIAL treat for me!!! :mrgreen:

Jingle Bells: I managed to finally make it to Chelsea Piers to skate the 8:30-9:45am freestyle session. (I was on the side where there were no doubles...) :P I didn't get to meet the fellow skating buddy I was looking for, but had a lesson with her wonderful coach who I'm definitely gonna go back to the next time I am back visiting NYC!!! This coach is extraordinarily patient and fun!!! I had a wonderful time!!! I got homework to do for my backspin. I was working on an annoying problem I had with my forward spin entry and made some progress within the lesson too, as well as stroking, mohawks and forward crossovers. Apparently the coach (and my hubby) noticed a big stinkin' grin on my face the entire time I was on the ice with the coach!

Santa smells: My current foot injury, which I have been nursing the previous week for this trip, started acting up again! :( I can't wait to get my new boots now, b/c the old ones are aggravating the injury. (Well, that and I'm skating on it! :P I will be off of it once I'm back from NYC.)