View Full Version : How do you stay on the back outside edge when doing a backspin?

JessicaLynn
12-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Hi, I have recently started seriously working on the backspin and it's HARD! I get the concept, but whenever I start I end up spinning on a back inside edge instead of an outside one.

Any tips? Thanks in advance :)

dbny
12-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Hi, I have recently started seriously working on the backspin and it's HARD! I get the concept, but whenever I start I end up spinning on a back inside edge instead of an outside one.

You aren't on a BI edge, it's a FI edge that you are flipping onto when you try a backspin. Keep your weight towards the toe. When your weight shifts too far back, it puts you onto the FI edge.

saras
12-20-2004, 10:34 AM

The key was learning to shift my weight with my whole body, not from the ankle down (or just shifting around the foot...). In a good backspin, the weight should be on the ball of your foot by your little toe - I kept trying to get there by only adjusting my foot. Once I figured out how to treat my whole body as a unit (think of a pole going through you down to the point where the weight should be) - I got it.

Sara

Anita18
12-21-2004, 07:06 PM
You're falling on an FI edge because you're putting your weight over your left hip instead of your right hip. (Sorry, I'm assuming that you're a CCW spinner..) It's kind of scary to put your weight over your right hip because there's nothing there to catch you if you fall over. 8O But falls from a backspin are definitely the more inocuous ones, in my experience...

For me, it's all about the entrance. I have to push my left hip (with the leg up) around my right side, and it has to be straight around. My right toe also has to be facing straight forward, although I have managed a backspin with my spinning foot slightly turned out. It makes it a lot harder to stop the spin though, LOL...

It's a really really cool feeling once you get it, like your left leg is spiralling around your right leg. It'll take a while, but one day it'll click and you'll be like, "WHOA! That was neat.. 8-) "

starskate6.0
12-21-2004, 07:37 PM
For me :roll: shear luck :frus: