View Full Version : Wizard of Oz - anyone done this....

Aussie Willy
12-19-2004, 12:58 AM
for their Xmas show in the last few years (and I am not talking about the really good professional touring production that was done a few years ago).

Our club is going to be pretty ambitious but we are kind of hoping that next year we could do something like Wizard of Oz for the end of year show. We are starting planning in January. But we really think it would be great to do a proper show instead of doing a show with lots of solos and different group numbers.

If you have done it, do you have a video that I could get a copy of of? I am happy to pay. Please PM if you can help.

dalsvet
12-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Hiya,

a skating club near me is doing Wizard of Oz this year - am planning to go this Tuesday if I manage to leave work early enough. Not sure if I can manage a video, but if I make it to the show I'll be more than happy to provide a detailed report!

Dalya

Schmeck
12-19-2004, 04:20 PM
What a great idea - a full production, instead of just a 'theme'. I bet the little learn-to-skate kids would make great Munchkins! Please keep us informed about how it all works out, because it sounds like a lot of fun!

CanAmSk8ter
12-20-2004, 08:04 AM
I know at least one club in my area has done this- years ago- so it is possible. I know of another club that did Peter Pan. The rink where I teach does a similar thing with the Nutcracker every year for Christmas. It's a lot of work but with a good volunteer base I bet you can make it happen.

jmp123
12-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Our club did this years ago, but I'm not sure it's what you're looking for - they did act out the story with people doing the main character parts, but there were still lots of related group numbers (some more related than others!). Caryn Kadavy was Glinda, and Damon Allen was Toto! They also used music from the Wiz because there wasn't enough from the Wizard of Oz. It was a blast!

Aussie Willy
12-20-2004, 06:39 PM
You had Caryn Kadavy in your show? Wow!!

I was hoping that we could have a narration as well as the music and was thinking about approaching a local theatre company to find an actor with a good strong voice to do it. When we saw Sleeping Beauty on Ice this year (a Russian touring production) that is what they had. I think it would be pretty neat to do something like that. And I think having additional pieces of music would enhance it as well - the Wiz was something that had come to mind but I am sure there are other comtemporary pieces we could use too.

jmp123
12-20-2004, 09:42 PM
That's kind of what our rink did - they wrote a script and had it recorded ahead of time, and the skaters just lip sync'd. This was when Caryn was at about the Novice level, I think. PM me if you'd like a copy.

We also did Mary Poppins! Years ago, another club I belonged to did Peter Pan with people flying in harnesses!

BladeGal
12-22-2004, 10:20 PM
When I was little, our rink did both Beauty and the Beast and Grease..it was great fun, and I have the tape somewhere...it really should be like an annual thing at every rink.. *sigh* I miss those days..

_BladeGal_