View Full Version : Adult New Years comp -- party?

skaternum
12-18-2004, 03:20 PM
So do any of you local adult skaters know what's going on with a competitor's party at the New Years Adult Invitational? Will it be at the rink? Away from the rink? Inquiring minds want to know how to pace my ... uh ... training. ;)

NoVa Sk8r
12-18-2004, 04:55 PM
I've not heard anything yet ...

Terri C
12-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Big hint to the powers that be- maybe a Mardi Gras theme?? :idea:

mikawendy
12-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Big hint to the powers that be- maybe a Mardi Gras theme?? :idea:

And even if the powers that be don't wind up declaring a Mardi Gras theme, you could still do it impromptu. If I can come to watch this comp, I'll try to bring beads! :lol:

Terri C
12-19-2004, 08:28 AM
And even if the powers that be don't wind up declaring a Mardi Gras theme, you could still do it impromptu. If I can come to watch this comp, I'll try to bring beads! :lol:

Mika,
I'm planning on buying beads to throw on the ice, maybe you can help me??

jenlyon60
12-19-2004, 03:00 PM
pls make sure the beads are well strung, so that there's no scattered beads to endanger the skaters....

Could be rather unpleasant for someone if they ended up unexpectedly skating over one or more beads from a broken string.

mikawendy
12-20-2004, 03:03 PM
pls make sure the beads are well strung, so that there's no scattered beads to endanger the skaters....

Could be rather unpleasant for someone if they ended up unexpectedly skating over one or more beads from a broken string.

To be sure! The Mardi Gras beads that I've seen have always been so strongly cemented to their string or knotted individually so that if they fall apart, they only fall apart where the beginning connects with the ends, no beads actually fall off.

Another possibility for Mardi Gras theme: plushy toys wearing Mardi Gras costumes, instead of the standard-issue beanie toys? And of course, someone doing interpretive ought to come be-masked! ;)

Terri C
01-09-2005, 10:29 AM
Looked at the possibility of buying beads last night. The local pary store has a whole aisle with Mardi Gras items!! Does anyone in the WFSC loop (dcden, jenlyon, NoVa, et al) heard anything about how many competitors there will be? The beads I saw were a HUGE BAG!!

NoVa Sk8r
01-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Does anyone in the WFSC loop (dcden, jenlyon, NoVa, et al) heard anything about how many competitors there will be?I've not yet heard anything, but I can contact my secret source. ... :P

jenlyon60
01-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Haven't heard anything yet except people posting here.

Moto Guzzi
01-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Looked at the possibility of buying beads last night. The local pary store has a whole aisle with Mardi Gras items!! Does anyone in the WFSC loop (dcden, jenlyon, NoVa, et al) heard anything about how many competitors there will be? The beads I saw were a HUGE BAG!!
Terri, I don't remember the exact number but, as of this morning, it was somewhere between 101 and 110. Some people are doing multiple events, and I think there were around 186 starts. A few events had only one competitor sign up so the organizers are working out what to do about those. I know they need at least one more person to sign up for Masters Men.

starskate6.0
01-09-2005, 09:07 PM
What a great Idea :lol: :bow:
Ill try and bring some, Got my Hotel , Im ready to go.

see you there, :D

Debbie S
01-09-2005, 10:21 PM
A few events had only one competitor sign up so the organizers are working out what to do about those.

I assume the organizers will contact the lone entrant in those events and give them alternatives - like an exhibition/critique or something?

I haven't been contacted yet, so I assume there are at least 2 entrants for Bronze MIF? Of course, I know Pre-Bronze FS will get enough entrants, from just this forum alone! :D

See everyone in a few weeks!

skaternum
01-10-2005, 04:51 AM
Any of you locals know anything about practice ice??

NoVa Sk8r
01-10-2005, 05:10 AM
I might see a few of the organizers tonight, so I'll ask. 8-)

jenlyon60
01-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Any of you locals know anything about practice ice??

Can't remember Ashburn's FS schedule and don't know what they've reserved, but Reston has FS ice all day until 5:45 or 5:50 PM. If anyone is up there early, Reston FS ice is 2 sessions for price of 1 until noon. Pick-up is $10 for 40 minutes. Sessions are usually pretty empty until the 4:20 pm session.

starskate6.0
01-10-2005, 08:41 AM
To be sure! The Mardi Gras beads that I've seen have always been so strongly cemented to their string or knotted individually so that if they fall apart, they only fall apart where the beginning connects with the ends, no beads actually fall off.

Another possibility for Mardi Gras theme: plushy toys wearing Mardi Gras costumes, instead of the standard-issue beanie toys? And of course, someone doing interpretive ought to come be-masked! ;)

Hi Mika
Are you skating this event ?
To be sure the beads might be a problem so string em tight, or you could just show up in the kiss and cry, through them in that area or put them around the neck of the skater and give them a kiss when they come off.

See you there.

skaternum
01-10-2005, 08:58 AM
or you could just show up in the kiss and cry,
Adult comps don't have kiss and cry areas. Only U.S. Nationals and international comps have K&C areas.

Ellyn
01-10-2005, 09:51 AM
I haven't been contacted yet, so I assume there are at least 2 entrants for Bronze MIF? Of course, I know Pre-Bronze FS will get enough entrants, from just this forum alone! :D

I will be skating bronze MIF. Looks like we will have a competition. :-)

Mrs Redboots
01-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Adult comps don't have kiss and cry areas. Only U.S. Nationals and international comps have K&C areas.Until this year I'd have agreed with you - but they provided a K&C at the British Adult Championships, and then again at the Scottish ones. The latter, admittedly, was left over from their regular championships, which were all part of the same event. All the same.... At the British Adults, they gave you a glass of iced water and your music back as you got off the ice, which was brilliant!

But I would really rather go and hide my face while waiting for my marks, all the same.....:oops:

By the way, Skaternum, when you said "pace your training", what sort of training had you in mind? Holding your drink, by any funny chance...... :halo: ;)

skaternum
01-10-2005, 11:19 AM
By the way, Skaternum, when you said "pace your training", what sort of training had you in mind? Holding your drink, by any funny chance...... :halo: ;)Why, what would make you think that? :oops: Curse my tarnished reputation! 8-)

NoVa Sk8r
01-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Why, what would make you think that? :oops: Curse my tarnished reputation! 8-)Ha. Some of us love your reputation--makes us look more angelic/less naughty by comparison. :P

starskate6.0
01-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Adult comps don't have kiss and cry areas. Only U.S. Nationals and international comps have K&C areas.

Maybe we should start one :lol: :lol:

Terri C
01-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Ha. Some of us love your reputation--makes us look more angelic/less naughty by comparison. :P

You angelic?? What a concept!!! :lol:

NoVa Sk8r
01-10-2005, 06:46 PM
You angelic?? What a concept!!! :lol:Yes, angelic ... but only by comparison.
Skaternum has quite a legendary reputation. I like to think I'm gaining ground--and she is kind of like a mentor in that respect. :P

skaternum
01-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Ay ay ay! What have I done, to make NoVa look "angelic"??? I'd best start polishing my pitchfork. :twisted:

NoVa Sk8r
01-10-2005, 10:03 PM
I don't think you want us to air your dirty laudry on this forum, now do you? :lol: 8-)

Oh, s'num; I can't wait to see you in Ashburn! We have so many naughty tasks to arrange and execute (got that camera ready? ;) ).
So much to do, so little time--heh heh heh. :twisted: :P

Mrs Redboots
01-11-2005, 06:24 AM
I do wish you guys would come to the Mountain Cup - we'd have even more fun than we already do.... rubber chickens, anybody?????

Terri C
01-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Oh dear Lord, I don't wanna even know what NoVa and Skaternum are up to!! :roll:

starskate6.0
01-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Oh dear Lord, I don't wanna even know what NoVa and Skaternum are up to!! :roll:

I do...... ;)

skaternum
01-11-2005, 01:32 PM
I do......Careful! You'll get your chance.

Here's a hint: do some situps and buy a tube of bronzer before you come to VA. 8O

starskate6.0
01-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Careful! You'll get your chance.

Here's a hint: do some situps and buy a tube of bronzer before you come to VA. 8O

Iv been doing the sit ups for the past 6 months, got to get that upper body strength thing down you know, Its good for the jumps ;) . Ill save the bronzing for when i go back to Mexico in March for a week. :D

I think its time to ask NoVa a few questions .....hmmm.. ;) :lol:
( "Just kiding")

NoVa Sk8r
01-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Sorry, my lips are sealed. Ask skaternum for more clues/hints.
Besides, we're not done planning! :D

starskate6.0
01-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Sorry, my lips are sealed. Ask skaternum for more clues/hints.
Besides, we're not done planning! :D

NoVa, your no fun :cry: But I guess some things are better left up to the imagination. ;) Im sure we will all have fun at this event . :D Ill see you there, come say hello NoVa, are you skating silver free and interp. :?:
Im in grand rapids tonight the snow is deep, the ice in on the road. Be back in PHL for practice tomorrow.

Let me know on your events NoVa , Ill come watch. :D

" The greatest risk in life is not taking one."

NoVa Sk8r
01-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Me do an interp event? Um, that'll never ever happen. My life is an interp event! :roll:

I'm doing silver FS and silver pairs. So *only* 2 events at this comp. That's probably 2 more than I should be doing. :??

(And the planning and skullduggery continues ... :twisted: )

flo
01-11-2005, 05:15 PM
I'll bring a shaker... and a driver! 8-)
By the way, I checked the flights from Charlotte to Zurich, and they were under $300. Later I'll check from the ones slose to here - BWI or Philly
Off to practice.

Terri C
01-11-2005, 06:08 PM

Really? I thought it would involve vodka and women's underwear!!! :P

NoVa Sk8r
01-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Nah ... one of our projects involves a complicated array of blueprints; subplots and intrigue; and a network of goons, subgoons, and innocent bystanders.
Man, is it February yet?

starskate6.0
01-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Really? I thought it would involve vodka and women's underwear!!! :P

I was thinking a hot tub with clothing optional and a lot of bailies Irish cream after the event :roll: ( Are we close :lol:)

NoVa Sk8r
01-11-2005, 11:45 PM
I was thinking a hot tub with clothing optional and a lot of Bailey's Irish Cream after the event :roll: (Are we close? Are you close? Not by a long shot. "Clothing optional?" That's quite upsetting to my chaste and virtuous demeanor. :halo:
Nah...
Oh, wait ... "clothing optional" ... now, you're getting closer. :twisted: :P 8-)
(The Bailey's sounds like a nice treat, though. Add some Kahlua and Grand Marnier, and I'm set to get on that B-52!)

jazzpants
01-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Careful! You'll get your chance.

Here's a hint: do some situps and buy a tube of bronzer before you come to VA. 8O Oh, Lordy!!! Situps and a tube of bronzer... as if vodka and women's underwear isn't bad enough... You crack me up, skaternum!!! :lol: :twisted: :lol: And flo's bringing her shaker and driver too!?!?!? Geez, I'm missin' out!!! :( :P

No, given my employment situation, I'm definitely not coming to New Year's comp (or any comp at this point.) So go ahead and PM me on the details. I'm dying to know...and won't tell! ;)

NoVa Sk8r: Love your last quote... I'm a big Sting fan!!! (Last line on his .sig are lyrics from the song "Fragile." It's one of the best meditative piece I've heard by far that I like.) :D

NoVa Sk8r
01-12-2005, 07:37 AM
NoVa Sk8r: Love your last quote... I'm a big Sting fan!!! (Last line on his .sig are lyrics from the song "Fragile." It's one of the best meditative piece I've heard by far that I like.) :DCool ... it also matches Loops' sig line which is a reference to me!

skaternum
01-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Okay, I'll pm jazzpants, but only because she's sworn herself to secrecy. Other than that, we'll just have to wait and see. But I do have one cryptic clue for you:

"I value the friend who for me finds time on his calendar, but I cherish the friend who for me does not consult his calendar." -- Robert Brault

LoopLoop
01-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Yeah, for someone strong enough to lift me Nova is definitely...FRAGILE.

Mrs Redboots
01-12-2005, 09:05 AM
If Paul H is there, someone put some glitter on his bald patch for me!

jazzpants
01-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Okay, I'll pm jazzpants, but only because she's sworn herself to secrecy. Other than that, we'll just have to wait and see. But I do have one cryptic clue for you:

"I value the friend who for me finds time on his calendar, but I cherish the friend who for me does not consult his calendar." -- Robert BraultRead the PM... interesting... 8-)

NoVa Sk8r
01-12-2005, 10:41 AM
But I do have one cryptic clue for you: "I value the friend who for me finds time on his calendar, but I cherish the friend who for me does not consult his calendar." -- Robert BraultOh my gosh, good one! ... :mrgreen: :lol:

Terri C
01-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Okay all, we've discussed Mardi Gras beads and practical jokes, but the questions remain: Will there be a competitors party and what is the story on practice ice? Methinks these are critical factors as to when/how the mischef happens! :lol:

LoopLoop
01-12-2005, 03:12 PM
I don't know anything about a party (jenlyon, any info?), but if there isn't an official one we'll have to create our own! Just an expansion of the annual skatingforums dinner. ;)

As for practice ice, there's usually some available Friday afternoon and both Saturday and Sunday mornings. I'd expect information to be available whenever the schedule comes out, in a week or so.

jenlyon60
01-12-2005, 04:55 PM
The only thing I know is that they are trying to work having the "annual" wine & cheese in the ballet room reception around the rest of the schedule.

I sent some alternate ideas to the committee, but haven't heard anything back yet.

PS... missed looploop this morning at Reston rink...

LoopLoop
01-12-2005, 05:06 PM
I have a change in work responsibilities which forced a change in my schedule, so I'll be there on Thursday mornings instead for the time being.

jenlyon60
01-12-2005, 06:39 PM
I have a change in work responsibilities which forced a change in my schedule, so I'll be there on Thursday mornings instead for the time being.

Let me know if they still have the unadvertised "split the sheet with hockey" or if Freestyle actually gets the entire sheet as ADVERTISED (truth in advertising and this rink haven't managed to consistently shake hands yet....)

starskate6.0
01-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Okay all, we've discussed Mardi Gras beads and practical jokes, but the questions remain: Will there be a competitors party and what is the story on practice ice? Methinks these are critical factors as to when/how the mischef happens! :lol:

Well the announcment said that the practice ice schedule would be on the club web site by the 3rd of january, But I can't find it yet.
:giveup:

starskate6.0
01-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Are you close? Not by a long shot. "Clothing optional?" That's quite upsetting to my chaste and virtuous demeanor. :halo:
Nah...
Oh, wait ... "clothing optional" ... now, you're getting closer. :twisted: :P 8-)
(The Bailey's sounds like a nice treat, though. Add some Kahlua and Grand Marnier, and I'm set to get on that B-52!)

Virtuous Demeanor ??? :roll: Sounds good Nova but Im sure you know how to have a good time any way. :halo:

jazzpants
01-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Oh my gosh, good one! ... :mrgreen: :lol: Definitely a good hint!!! :lol:

NoVa Sk8r
01-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Well the announcment said that the practice ice schedule would be on the club web site by the 3rd of january, But I can't find it yet.:giveup:To be sure, the announcement says, (and I quote from page 4, "Practice ice information will be available on the WFSC website ... AFTER (emphasis added) January 3, 2005." :roll:

What's more, there is always practice ice on that Friday afternoon, then Sat. and Sun. mornings. Last year, I requested and got practice ice after I checked in at the rink, and space was available. So no worries!

NoVa Sk8r
01-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Virtuous Demeanor ??? :roll: Sounds good Nova but Im sure you know how to have a good time any way. :halo:I'm just a moral, unsullied, decent good ol' Catholic boy from upstate New York. :halo:

I really am innocent and virtuous ... just ask my parole officer. :twisted: :P

Alright, I need a drink ...

Terri C
01-13-2005, 08:19 AM
I'm just a moral, unsullied, decent good ol' Catholic boy from upstate New York. :halo:

There is NO such thing as a good Catholic boy- something I've learned in all of these years as a good Catholic girl from southern Virginia! :P

flo
01-13-2005, 09:43 AM
Nova - where in upstate NY? I was born in Schenectady.

LoopLoop
01-13-2005, 09:49 AM
Let me know if they still have the unadvertised "split the sheet with hockey" or if Freestyle actually gets the entire sheet as ADVERTISED (truth in advertising and this rink haven't managed to consistently shake hands yet....)

I got there around 7:10 and it looked like the NHL sheet was split with hockey; the 7:20 FS (the one I was actually there for) was on the Olympic.

NoVa Sk8r
01-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Nova - where in upstate NY? I was born in Schenectady.Well, anything north of New York City is upstate, right?
I grew up in Putnam County/northern Westchester County area--roughly 50 miles north of NYC--in the Hudson Valley area. But I did my undergraduate studies in Syracuse. After 21 years of living in NY, I had to leave, so I fled to NC for grad school, and then ended up in VA. But I'll always be a damn Yankee! :P

jenlyon60
01-13-2005, 11:01 AM
I got there around 7:10 and it looked like the NHL sheet was split with hockey; the 7:20 FS (the one I was actually there for) was on the Olympic.

Nothing has changed then....

Especially since they don't advertise on the monitor or printed literature or otherwise that the 6:00 and 6:40 "Freestyle" sessions are restricted to half of the NHL sheet.

Last Wednesday (week before yesterday) they pulled the same stunt.

starskate6.0
01-13-2005, 08:29 PM
To be sure, the announcement says, (and I quote from page 4, "Practice ice information will be available on the WFSC website ... AFTER (emphasis added) January 3, 2005." :roll:

What's more, there is always practice ice on that Friday afternoon, then Sat. and Sun. mornings. Last year, I requested and got practice ice after I checked in at the rink, and space was available. So no worries!

Great Mate...Thanks for the info :D

starskate6.0
01-13-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm just a moral, unsullied, decent good ol' Catholic boy from upstate New York. :halo:

Ha..ha..ha :lol:

starskate6.0
01-13-2005, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=NoVa Sk8r]I'm just a moral, unsullied, decent good ol' Catholic boy from upstate New York. :halo:

starskate6.0
01-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Ha..HA..ha :lol: :lol: Good one Terri ;)