View Full Version : Make-Up Suggestions

silverblades06
12-17-2004, 05:17 PM
I'm in a skating show in a few weeks doing a Spanish-themed program. I was wondering if anybody had any make-up suggestions. And I was also looking for general testing and competition make-up tips. I used to be a ballet dancer so I know about stage make-up but I'm not really sure of what to do for the ice. I'm 17 so I'm looking for age appropriate make up. The only suggestions I can find are minimalistic approaches for younger skaters.

Thanks so much!

CanAmSk8ter
12-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Are you going to be under spotlights in the show? If so, I would say do what you'd do for the stage, just a tad lighter. Otherwise, you probably don't need to go that heavy. I generally tell my students to wear just a bit more than they'd wear to school/work. Obviously that means very little on the young girls who don't wear makeup for school yet; someone your age would go a bit heavier.

What level are you, by the way? Beginners don't usually wear as much makeup as the more advanced skaters, regardless of age. (Unless they're little girls whose mommies go way overboard and make them look like clowns, but that's another thread, LOL).

For a Spanish program, I would go with dark eyeliner, but not too much. Probably a gray shadow, and a darker lipstick than what you'd wear every day. It's hard to say without knowing more about your coloring. I'm a redhead, so I personally have to be very careful about lipstick colors!

Edited to add, these guidelines would apply for competition as well. For testing, I would wear about the same amount you'd wear to school, making sure the colors are complementary to your dress. Make sure your hair is neat and off your face (I guess if you're coming from ballet I probably don't need to tell you that, do I?)

mikawendy
12-17-2004, 06:47 PM
Also, if your program is a Spanish theme and your hair is the right type (i.e., not like mine, which won't hold a curl), you could experiment with a small curl by your ear, similar to the "spit curl" style I've seen some ballet dancers use for the Spanish number in the Nutcracker. Or you could wear your hair in a low bun or french twist with a red silk flower....

Mrs Redboots
12-18-2004, 04:50 AM
Definitely stage make-up! Or at any rate very heavy regular make-up - you want to stand out on the ice, which you won't if you're pale. In this country we use lots of glitter, too, especially in the hair, just to catch the light.

jenlyon60
12-18-2004, 08:55 AM
You might want to draw the edge of the eyeliner out just a bit further outside the eye area. Not so far that it looks like the eye liner on an Egyptian mummy, but further than for day wear.