View Full Version : Never thought I'd say it but...

Shinn-Reika
12-16-2004, 06:15 AM
I'm really getting into this.

Even if I have only cheap 75$ glaciers (you heard me, I'm po), this is really getting kinda fun. My instructor just ran me though the basics, so far I can do 3 turns going forward, advanced crossovers (what's the difference), and am working on backwards 3 turns and how to land jumps (I don't know the specific name of this).

But I've sorta learned other things like:
(I might get the names for all of the wrong).
-waltz jump
-shoot the duck
-hydroblade
-a really poor quality spin.
She also taught me that I should get over this fear I have of using my arms.

I'm noticing something Ironic, however. Once I convinced myself that I actually liked figure-skating (or attempting to), I gained a sort of obsession. I think about it in class, when I'm walking outside, and when I goto sleep (haven't had any dreams yet). Unfortunately I'm going home, and I won't have any time to skate.

And I've been skating every day for 1.3 quarters!
(this is officially the only physical thing I'm more obsessed with than DDR).
Is there anything you guys do to cope during this sort of situation?

sue123
12-16-2004, 07:37 AM
sadly, there's nothing you can do. just accept it, embrace it, and welcome to the club! :lol:

garyc254
12-16-2004, 07:54 AM
Unfortunately I'm going home, and I won't have any time to skate.

Alas, you'll be going through ice withdrawal.

The only known cure is to find a rink and strap on your blades. :D

Mrs Redboots
12-16-2004, 08:13 AM
It's called Adult Onset Skating Syndrome. Read the "You know you're obsessed" thread, and you'll see what we mean....

starskate6.0
12-16-2004, 08:45 AM

Even if I have only cheap 75$ glaciers (you heard me, I'm po), this is really getting kinda fun. My instructor just ran me though the basics, so far I can do 3 turns going forward, advanced crossovers (what's the difference), and am working on backwards 3 turns and how to land jumps (I don't know the specific name of this).

But I've sorta learned other things like:
(I might get the names for all of the wrong).
-waltz jump
-shoot the duck
-hydroblade
-a really poor quality spin.
She also taught me that I should get over this fear I have of using my arms.

I'm noticing something Ironic, however. Once I convinced myself that I actually liked figure-skating (or attempting to), I gained a sort of obsession. I think about it in class, when I'm walking outside, and when I goto sleep (haven't had any dreams yet). Unfortunately I'm going home, and I won't have any time to skate.

"Your hooked baby", Join us and become one with the skate :lol: :bow:

"The greatest risk in life is not taking one" :D

Mel On Ice
12-16-2004, 09:15 AM
hey everybody, we got another one!

welcome to the club!

doubletoe
12-16-2004, 01:59 PM

Ask everyone in your family to pitch in and buy you a pair of Pic Skates for Christmas! Apparently, you can do the same things on Pic Skates on the ground/floor that you can do on ice skates. . . Go to www.picskate.com
And welcome to the world of the ice-obsessed! :D

Shinn-Reika
12-16-2004, 11:26 PM
oi?

Whoah there's almost no way that those things can be as good on land as they are on ice.

Aussie Willy
12-17-2004, 05:29 AM
Excellent - another member!!! Welcome.

saras
12-17-2004, 07:01 AM
oi?

Whoah there's almost no way that those things can be as good on land as they are on ice.

Pic Skates? they're pretty good. Somewhere in webland are some video clips of a figure skater using them - she can do way more than I can do on ice, and according to reports - it's an easy transition from ice to land. IMO - a great off-season training tool :)

Sara

Aussie Willy
12-17-2004, 05:21 PM
I just checked out about those Pic Skates. They look very interesting. If I had the money I might get myself a pair so I could skate off the ice.

mikawendy
12-17-2004, 06:00 PM
I think kayskate has used pic skates before--you might want to ask her for her experiences with them. I think pic skates come up in discussion every so often, so you could do a search of this forum for previous discussions.