View Full Version : getting a bit nervous

sue123
12-15-2004, 12:27 PM
I start group lessons in beginning freestyle after the new year, and for some reason, i'm getting nervous now. I used to skate when i was younger, but things that seemed like second nature back then i'm fighting with now. I used to jump so high off the ice, it felt like i was flying. now, i'm lucky to get 3 inches off the ice and do a waltz jump only recognized by myself. my spins are probably on the path to getting better than they were when i was 12, but what if when i go to these lessons, everyone else is so much farther ahead?

they're group lessons for adults (18+, so i'm probably going to be one of the youngest ones since i'm 19) who already have the basics of skating, like different edges, 3-turns, mohawks, 2 foot spins at least, and some people are already jumping. The director explained to me that some of the adults are competitive, so i'm thinking than if they're competitive, what are they doing in a class that's supposed to follow learn to skate? I'm not too worried with the 3 turns in the foward direction, or mohawks on the inside edge, but back 3 turns and mohawks on the outside edge usually wind up with me on the ice.

basically, i just want someone to tell me i'll be fine, and not my mom or grandparents because they seem to think i'm going to the olympics or re-entering the competitive circuit at least. i know i'm not going to be the best, but i just don't want to be over my head, and if by the time the classes start, if i don't have a decent waltz jump, i won't get laughed at for my pitiful attempts.

although i think my problem with the waltz lies partially in that i learned it very young, so as i got older, i never really thought of the technique, just kinda did it, but after 7 years of your feet not leaving the ice, i need to relearn the technique and make my body cooperate.

Kristin
12-15-2004, 01:23 PM
Congrats in getting back on the ice!

You were wondering about adults who are doing learn-to-skate if they are competitive.....well, when you are an adult, some of the ice times are just not very convenient and sometimes money is an issue. A group lesson is a great way to get a little extra practice on some things you need help with without having to spend top-dollar on getting a private coach. I used to do learn-to-skate (FS4 & 5) in the summer because getting ice time that would not interfere with work was a real chore (most rinks only had the ice time that was convenient for kids on summer vacation: 8:30am-1pm)! So I found a group class that met during the week so I could at least get 1 hour of ice time *during the week* as opposed to ONLY skating on Sat/Sun.

And no one is going to think that your attempts at a waltz jump are "pathetic." Since you are only 19, you still have a long adult skating road ahead of you and you will see in time that adult skaters don't laugh at each other for attempting new things. Yes, you may be new in the class. Give it time and practice and you will be jumping and spinning in no time!

Keep in mind also, that when you were 12 yrs old, your body was also very different than it is now with the "adult" 19-yr old body. But this doesn't mean that you CAN'T do something. You CAN! You just have to keep trying and practicing. Take it from me: I started skating when I was 26, in a group lesson environment so I was MUCH older than you! 5 yrs later, I have all my jumps thru lutz-loop and spins thru camel-sit-backsit. I also passed Bronze dances, Pre-juv moves, Prelim FS and have had an absolute BLAST learning skating. I've done a bunch of local adult competitions and have met some really cool friends that I talk to every day!! Just enjoy the sport. Meet some other adults. You will see in time that adult skating is not cut-throat. We all support each other because we know that we all have jobs, responsibilities, etc. that the little kids DON'T have. That makes us different, but in a good way!

Kristin

Elsy2
12-15-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm sure you are going to be just fine! Don't let the "competitive" business worry you. They could be competing at a no test or beginner level. And even if they are more proficient at jumping now, they will inspire you.

I'll bet the skill level in the group will be all over the place, and you will fit right in to the middle of the pack or higher.

I remember going into an advanced group, I was the worst skater in the bunch, but by the end of the six weeks, I was doing great.

Most of all, you are going to meet people and have a great time!

Some of my favorite skating pals over the years have been young enough to be my daughters.......so don't worry about being one of the younger ones. It won't matter at all.

NCSkater02
12-16-2004, 03:26 PM
I'm still doing group lessons three years after I started LTS. I'm the only adult most of the time, usually the oldest. I'm in FS1,2, and 3 all at the same time. I stick with it because it is another hour a week on the ice....with lower cost instruction. My private coach works with my group coach (same one for two years) to keep me on some sort on progression. During the competetion season, both will work on skills I need in my programs. It's pretty cool.

And, you'll be fine. I started at 38, and wish I had started at 19. Be glad you'll get this opportunity.

doubletoe
12-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Honestly, it sounds like you will do very well in the class. In ISI, there are competitions that are open to beginners, so you probably shouldn't take that "competitive" statement to mean anything.

Also, you seem to be forgetting that you also have the basics. They might be a little rusty, but you learned them as a kid, so they will feel more natural to you. When you have a teacher remind you of proper technique and form, they will come back very quickly and you will be better than your classmates who started as adults.

And at 19, your body is in great shape, so you can do just about anything you decide to do! So just go and have fun! After your first one or two classes you'll think you were silly to be worried. :)

CanAmSk8ter
12-17-2004, 08:08 AM
Keep in mind that there are competitions for all levels of ability. "Competitive" doesn't necessarily mean "advanced". I have an adult student who competed when he was in Basic 2! At that level, I would think "competitive" means "interested in competing" more than anything else, and would describe mindset and attitude toward skating more than ability. Don't worry about it until you get there and see how it goes (easier said than done, I know, I tell myself that constantly).

sue123
12-17-2004, 11:57 AM
thanks for all your suppport. i dunno, i was just getting self conscious about myself. and frustrated that i couldn't do anything i did as a kid, although i know it's silly to think i could. i can't even really remember the proper techniques or positions, so when someone shows me, it usually helps. that's what happened with my 3 turns. when i got back to skating, i could not for the life of me remember how to do a 3 turn, until someone showed me what i was doing wrong.

i can't wait to start the lessons, and see where it will take me. and you're right, competitive does not mean advanced, they could be competing at something like ISI 1 or something, which is not very advanced, but maybe they just say they have competitive students to make their program sound very prestigious? either way, i should learn a lot.

garyc254
12-17-2004, 12:40 PM
That's the cool thing about adult group lessons. Everyone is from different levels and have different abilities. Usually, everyone helps everyone else. A good coach will work with whatever skill level you are.

As one adult coach told me, teaching adults is much easier because you can give them something to practice and then leave them to go help someone else. Kids you mostly have to watch all of the time to make sure they're doing what you've told them.

Also, adults will speak up when they're having problems.

You'll do fine!!

:D :D :D

Melzorina
12-17-2004, 01:27 PM
I know how you feel, I felt like you do now when I was moved up into the highest grade class. It's the last class, and its full of people who have been stuck there for ages. I was thinking "Ohhh no they'll think I'm crap and laugh at me behind my back" or something, because I was evidently new, and thought, new = crap. Everyone is at a different level, and to my surprise nobody cares if you fall, or have a crap jump at first, because they all did/still do.
My salchow is really crap, and my group teacher was making us do jump on our own. I was scared, but I got it over and done with, I knew it was crap, but nobody cared, it was such a releif!

quarkiki2
12-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Another really cool thing about adult skaters is that we often ask each other for pointers and help -- like two or three heads are better than one, LOL!

There's a couple of skaters on my Synchro team that are about my level and we often share pointers when we practice. Of course, we don't offer opinions before they're requested, but if someone is stuck and asks a question, like "Hey! Which way do you step after the mohawk?" we're pretty sure to answer.

We also laugh A LOT -- at ourselves, mostly. I have a reputation for being, shall we say, *humorous* during lessons. The coaches actually like this -- especially after teaching class after class of back-breaking tots (because they lean over for hours on end).

You can learn a lot in unexpected places in classes of adults. Shortly after I started skating I took a camp with other adults. I was by far the least experienced and least skilled skater on the ice, but the MOST skilled (as in working on double sals and axels) went waaay out of her way to compliment my presentation skills and musicality. Every adult at my rink is very quick with a compliment -- I love that about them!

Mrs Redboots
12-17-2004, 02:20 PM
Another really cool thing about adult skaters is that we often ask each other for pointers and help -- like two or three heads are better than one, LOL!Indeed - just today Husband and I got some help with our pairs spin from a skater in his 70s. And many of us adults get help from wherever we can!

Melzorina
12-17-2004, 04:12 PM
I reckon it'd be easier being an adult skater, because if you want to know something, you'll just ask someone, but I won't. I'm really shy and just think "Ohh.. I'll leave it..." and I often do. :roll:

sk8er1964
12-17-2004, 09:34 PM
I reckon it'd be easier being an adult skater, because if you want to know something, you'll just ask someone, but I won't. I'm really shy and just think "Ohh.. I'll leave it..." and I often do. :roll:

No, no, no. Please don't just let it go. Believe me, the instructors, and anyone else, would be thrilled to help you out. I've had experiences griping to kids about a jump not working, and getting freely offered (and valuable) advice. Some of my best on-ice friends have been kids. I myself enjoy helping others, when I can (although I always recommend that they check my advice with their coach :) ). Just start asking questions of one or two of your instructors, and you will be amazed at the information you will get!

sue123
12-18-2004, 08:44 AM

well, there are also some adults who are really shy and won't ask anything either. although that's not exactly my case, since i am anything but shy. for some reason, i don't even have to ask people for help, they just come over and ask if i want their help. At the rink i used to skate at but not so much anymore since i moved away from school, this man inhis 70's asked me if i wanted help with my mohawk. since he offered, i accepted. this man has a history of being a great figures skater in his day, and he still is, so i figured it was safe. and than yesterday, this woman at the rink by my school asked me if i was jumping yet, i said sometimes htey work, sometimes not, and than she just started helping me with that, giving me pointers.

for some reason, people feel the need to help you if you're doing something wrong, and this conclusion i just recently came to after examing how much it really happens. maybe i just skate at rinks where people generally are nice to each other, and want you to do your best, but i should think it's hte same everywhere, no?