View Full Version : Snazzy or Stressy: 13-26 December 2004

Mrs Redboots
12-14-2004, 11:26 AM
Snazzy: I did it!!!! I did a spin that spun for 3 beautifully-centred revolutions. Never done that before in my whole life..... I was so pleased I even called my coach over (he was teaching someone else at the time!) to look at the tracing - he was impressed. Of course, I couldn't repeat it (although I did come pretty close), but at least that's once!

I have fallen in love with a piece of music I want to do a solo free dance to, but I can't compete it until I have a reliable spin, so this is actually quite important for me! I will choreograph it though, probably in the new year, and have a good play with it, and then I'll have to start thinking about next year's Interpretive piece....

Stressy: Had a horrible time going to the rink as there'd been a bad accident just outside it - police cars, ambulances, road closed off, etc - and I was terrified that it had been my husband knocked off his bike. Then, of course, I was rather ashamed of being relieved that it had been a motor-cyclist! Found that husband, who had realised I would be upset, had forgotten to lock his bike, so had to go and do that for him, and the net result was we didn't actually have any time on the ice together (we'd got up later than we meant). But we both have stuff to practice solo, so that's okay.

Back cross-cuts still don't work, but I finally got the feeling of "sitting" into them today. But they still grind to a halt after six or seven. Sigh.....

Mel On Ice
12-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Snazzy: I won three medals at the MO State Games, two gold and a silver. I had two great skates, one of which was the silver, go figure. I also won my first gold in bronze free (other gold have been in interp and compulsories.) My synchro team has pulled its program together for our Christmas show and my coach and I will be starting work again here soon on the flip, lutz and camel spin.

And yay! I have my first-ever solo in the club Christmas show!

Stressy: I won't name names or even go into too much detail for fear of hurting anyone's feelings, but my eyes were opened to the shenanigans of a friend who played me for a fool. Never, ever again.

Also, in the first performance of my new bronze program, instead of doing a waltz- 1/2 loop - salchow, I did a waltz- 1/2 loop - 3 turn. And turned a solo loop into a solo half loop. BUT I did to a nice sal-toe combo and managed a good sit spin and backspin. AND footwork with twizzles in it!

garyc254
12-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Snazzy: I won three medals at the MO State Games, two gold and a silver. I had two great skates, one of which was the silver, go figure. I also won my first gold in bronze free (other gold have been in interp and compulsories.)

WAY TO GO, MEL!!!! :D :D :D

I had only heard about one of the gold until now.

Mel On Ice
12-14-2004, 03:30 PM
thanks Gary! Silver was in spotlight dramatic, gold was in freestyle 3, the other was in bronze free.

Mrs Redboots
12-14-2004, 04:53 PM
CONGRATULATIONS MEL!

Debbie S
12-14-2004, 09:55 PM
Congratulations, Mel! Sounds like you're ready to kick butt at AN! :bow:

Stressy: I won't name names or even go into too much detail for fear of hurting anyone's feelings, but my eyes were opened to the shenanigans of a friend who played me for a fool. Never, ever again.
I sympathize. Without naming names myself, I've been there and done that quite a bit recently. My story involves quite a few wolves in sheep's clothing.

Also, in the first performance of my new bronze program, instead of doing a waltz- 1/2 loop - salchow, I did a waltz- 1/2 loop - 3 turn.
I've just started working on this combo. I've done plenty of 3 turn salchows, too! :)

Mrs Redboots
12-15-2004, 06:37 AM
Stressy: Only one spin worked today, and that was our side-by-side, arm-in-arm pairs spin, which has improved dramatically since last we worked on it. Could this be due to the ice quality which, ditto and likewise, has improved dramatically? I wish I thought it was due to our improvement! The dance-hold spin still doesn't work, and the best solo spin I did was only 2.5 revolutions. Huh - "Only" - I'd have killed for that a couple of months ago! But they weren't good today.

With husband, worked on the free dance, trying to remember how we'd dumbed it down, and what to do on the end now that the coach has banned our feeble attempt at a lift for testing.

Then suddenly didn't feel at all well - I'm not sure if my sinuses are playing up, or if it's my digestion - could be either. Think it's digestion, since paying a visit since I came home has helped enormously! Was okay enough to concentrate on lesson - coach also not feeling well - and, you know what it's like, if it's minor enough you forget you aren't feeling well! But I did go off the ice straight after. Lesson very late because coach was feeling sorry for himself! That didn't matter, of course, except I was longing to get it over and done with!

Snazzy: SPEED Probably due to good ice, but in the past, if I'd been going so fast going backwards, I'd have put the brakes on! And my anti-clockwise back crossovers were way outside my comfort zone! I nearly did have to put the brakes on, but forced myself not to. The clockwise ones are still not as good, but coming along. Did some good back cross-rolls - coach says they are "half-way there", and I am now to practice them across the rink, on the line, so I can see that I am on an edge, not flat! Cross-cuts still hopeless, but I work on them every day, so they should improve sooner or later, no?

And managed to do several Mohawks without losing too much speed going into them, which is new and delightful. Fiesta pattern rather dreary, though - either I got a terrible back inside edge after the Mohawk, or the run didn't quite come off... sigh.... But not a bad lesson considering everybody is feeling very end-of-year-ish.

flo
12-15-2004, 08:56 AM
Mel - Congrats! Mrs. Redboots - keep spinning! :)
Stressy: Skipped skating last night to work on things for the Baltimore club show this weekend - by the way, all are invited, and there should be some open skating after! On Saturday I finished the choreography on the Oh Holy Night program, so there's one practice, then showtime!

Snazzy: Finished painting the costume for above - will try it out tonight.

phillyskater
12-15-2004, 09:15 AM
Snazzy: The Silver moves have really improved with my new blades. Should definitely be ready to test in January. I already feel more power, flow and deeper edges. I guess the coach noticed it too, because next lesson, we're learning the Novice sprial sequence. 8O

Even snazzier: Lots of open ice time next week because of the holidays (especially in the morning) and the boss is on vacation... 8-)

Stressy: Other skaters who see you in a lesson working on certain things and then immediately do whatever you're doing. Stop it already!! (sorry for the rant).

Happy skating everyone!!
philly

LoopLoop
12-15-2004, 09:18 AM
Stressy
Holiday show is next week, and NoVa and I are far from ready!

Snazzy
I learned a walley! It's a lousy walley for the time being, but it's still a walley.

Flo, PM me with more info on your show. Not sure if I'll be able to make it, but you never know.

NoVa Sk8r
12-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Stressy:
At my group's holiday lunch yesterday, I was asked about the holiday show. But after a few martinis, I couldn't restrain myself from saying something akin to, "Huh? Holiday show? Surely, you're mistaken." :halo:
I just hope 20 of my coworkers don't straggle over to Fairfax Ice Arena to watch my performance. And what a performance it will be. :roll:
Um, how many times have we actually done a complete runthrough ... once, maybe?
Nah, we'll pull it off! 8-)

pennybeagle
12-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Snazzy: The Silver moves have really improved with my new blades. Should definitely be ready to test in January. I already feel more power, flow and deeper edges. I guess the coach noticed it too, because next lesson, we're learning the Novice sprial sequence. 8O

Hey, congrats! The novice spiral sequence isn't too bad, actually. IMO, it's way easier than the Preliminary spirals.

Snazzy: Double sals are coming along, and thanks to some great tips I read from doubletoe and company, so are my double toes! :bow:

Stressy: Axels are still AWOL. It has everything to do with that stinking takeoff edge. If I go REALLY slow, I can land them with a quarter turn cheat, but the minute I think about getting it bigger and faster, it all goes down the drain. I know...must be patient...

dbny
12-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Snazzy
On my own, in practice before my lesson, I made two important breakthroughs. The first was to figure out what has gone so terribly wrong with my spins that I had to go back to two foot spins and have not even been stable with them. I was making two rather pathetic mistakes. First, I was not rising up off of the pivoting foot when beginning the spin. Second, I have become a noodle. I tightened up the tummy and back, rose up on the pivoting foot, and voila: fast, centered, stable two foot spin.

The second breakthrough was on the FO threes in the power three pattern. I have been noticing for a while that the free leg swings through as the turn is executed, but yesterday I observed the same thing in the three prior to a Salchow in someone else's lesson. I tried it, and my FO threes were like a knife through butter. My coach noticed it right away in my lesson.

Stressy
The problem I've been having with stepping forward onto an O edge in the power threes is evidently related to my old roller dancing habit (correct for roller skating) of always stroking from feet together, which in this case would be heel to heel. Instead, I am now to do the crossover early and hold the crossover position with free foot behind skating foot to the line, and then step wide into almost an Ina Bauer position. Scares me to death, but when I did it with a spot, I got a good clean FO edge. I only did it by myself once in the lesson and totally freaked, going almost into a squat. Coach thought I was goofing around :)

KatieC
12-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Considering I've only managed to skate once in the past two weeks, today was actually a very good day. (It's so annoying when work interferes with skating!)

Snazzy - I told a friend on the ice that I wasn't satisfied with my BI3/FO3 double 3, due to the middle part being only maybe 5 inches - so squishy. Then I went to demonstrate, and, low and behold, I did the most beautifully balanced double 3 - each portion equal to the others. I also told my friend I was trying so hard to achieve running 3's because they are so attractive - on rare occasions I can get 5 turns. Today, being so totally brilliant - I managed 7, without putting a foot down!!! And, I did both of these moves at least 3 times each. Of course, I did 23 more without success, but hey, I must be doing something right. (If I could only determine exactly what, although the coach did say balance was so needed to keep momentum.) I did tell my friend I was going to have to start paying her to watch me :) She's a beautiful skater herself.

Stressy - I only managed one decent sit spin/headless scratch, but I'm putting that down to lack of practise. At least I'm trying off ice to increase the strength in my right leg to help get lower.

Mrs Redboots, how are your double 3's coming along?

Terri C
12-15-2004, 06:25 PM
This week so far...

I arrived at work Monday morning to find out that I did get the weekend off to do the New Year's competition!!! Oh happy day!!! :D :D
Now I get to train TWO programs!!! 8O

Stamina is getting better with the freeskate program, and all my interpretive needs now is a little tweaking. It was cold today on the ice, so to run both programs was the best way to keep warm. Actually, since both my events could very well be in one day, to train the programs this way may be the route to go.

Loops and NoVa, I didn't tell any of my co- workers about my holiday show-it being Christmas Eve afternoon, I figured no one would will go. You guys will be okay!

starskate6.0
12-15-2004, 08:23 PM
Stressy
Holiday show is next week, and NoVa and I are far from ready!

Snazzy
I learned a walley! It's a lousy walley for the time being, but it's still a walley.

Flo, PM me with more info on your show. Not sure if I'll be able to make it, but you never know.

Loop loop
You got a wally 8O :bow: Im impressed, Iv been trying that for weeks and still can't manage it. CONGRATS :bow:

starskate6.0
12-15-2004, 08:31 PM

Even snazzier: Lots of open ice time next week because of the holidays (especially in the morning) and the boss is on vacation... 8-)

Stressy: Other skaters who see you in a lesson working on certain things and then immediately do whatever you're doing. Stop it already!! (sorry for the rant).

Happy skating everyone!!
philly

HEY PHILLY

I thought you where going to do this test in December :?: Opps sorry my bad, you are right the test is in January. Are you going to the New Years invitaional :?: Iv decided to go in 3 events, Gold free,moves and interp. 8O Man Ill be busy ....

Skate@Delaware
12-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Snazzy:
Ooooh! I am so excited to be in our ice show this year! I wish I could go around to all the rinks and see everyone's shows!

We are doing Nutcracker on Ice; I'm in the synchro portion (flowers). I'm not good enough for a solo (one day though once I get through Adult 4 onto freestyle!!). Our show will be really cool!

What's everyone else doing in their show?

Stressy:
Snazzy, could I borrow some of your spin mojo? Mine have headed south for the winter. I've gone back to 2-footers. It's embarrasing for some of the younger skaters (8 or 9 years) to come up to me and give me pointers (yup, I'm 42, bless the little dearies)! Can't figure out my center-keep going on my toepick (way onto my toepick). I'm just leaning too far forward! I've recently lost 30 pounds and I'm thinking that has something to do with it.

Also working on "the flip" which seems to drive everyone who watches me into hysterics (especially my teen daughter). AAAAGGHH!

NoVa Sk8r
12-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Loops showed me the walley this evening. I still cannot do it--but I can do a half walley! :)

And our holiday program is not as bad as we feared (right, Loops? Or do you still think the program will crash and burn?). Our lifts miraculously came back; i.e., I was able to finally lift Loops off the ice (back pain and lack of muscle had these elements sidelined for a while). We won't mention the skating into the boards. :halo:

We did great side-by-side camels (well, I thought they were) at the rink end during the public session (see, who says you can't do these things in a public session?). And we came up with harder footwork. I just hope my singles coach doesn't see it; I am NOT doing brackets in my singles program!

And Loops fixed my camel/sit. It's cleaner, more polished, and faster! Major props to her. :bow: I'm always looking to improve my spins!!!

NoVa Sk8r
12-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Philly,
Good luck on your practices for the moves and ultimately on the moves test. I can definnitely feel your pain. Remember to keep your knees bent during most of the moves (not the spirals, though! :P ), and you're halfway there.

Snazzy: The Silver moves have really improved with my new blades. Should definitely be ready to test in January. I already feel more power, flow and deeper edges.

Mrs Redboots
12-16-2004, 08:03 AM
Mrs Redboots, how are your double 3's coming along?Rather uncontrollably! I'm better at twizzles. I still can't do a back inside 3 if I stop and think about it, but I can do a FO twizzle if I don't think about it (does that make sense?). I can sometimes do a BO3/FI3 combination, but it's not very good yet. Think they will improve when I get more control over my check - which is coming, now.

flo
12-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Stressy: Show is Saturday. My program's a work in progress (my silver program's not finished, I needed a show program - quickly). Nothing was working last night - at least I got to skate in my costume.

Snazzy - almost finished the Christmas tree costume for the tot's number!

skatergirlva
12-16-2004, 11:17 AM
I'm teaching a holiday show number for kids 4-8 and levels Tot5 through Delta. The kids are doing pretty good and they've really improved. It's hard for the 4 year olds to stay focussed when Santa Mambo is practicing on one side and the Nutcracker is on the other side. However, we do have our moments.

They are skating to Alvin and the Chipmunks. I have two 4 year olds who are Alvins, 3 five year olds who are Simon's, and a five and eight year old who are Theodore. I also have two private students, who have little solos around them, but they help lead them into the lines, which I'm greatful for. :)

My favorite part is only about 10-15 seconds long and that is when they pick-up their hula hoops when the music says, "Me, I want a hula, hoop." It's great until someone forgets to step over the hula hoop at the end of the number. Keep your fingers crossed that it works out for the Chipmunks! :)

phillyskater
12-16-2004, 12:59 PM
HEY PHILLY

I thought you where going to do this test in December :?: Opps sorry my bad, you are right the test is in January.

Hello!! You're right, I was testing in December (at Ardmore), but that was Pre-Juvenile moves...and I passed! (well, at least according to one judge :oops: )

And thanks for the testing advice, NoVa!! (Congrats on your recent successful tests, by the way). My key is keeping nervous knees under control. My moves coach recently tought me a little breathing trick where you "blow out" all of the nerves, and while I was skeptical at first, it seemed to work on my most recent test. I was able to get rid of the nerves. And I managed to pass every move (some with extra points ;) ) except for the #$*%@(%!$*!(!@^#* back 3-turns! :frus: :frus: :frus: No touch-downs or anything this time. My coach thinks I've become obsessed with them. I don't know, do you agree that it's obsessive to think about them in the shower, at work, during the drive to work, during the drive home from work, at the gym, during dinner (hubby LOVES that), in my sleep, and, well, now?? :roll:

doubletoe
12-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Hey, congrats! The novice spiral sequence isn't too bad, actually. IMO, it's way easier than the Preliminary spirals.

Snazzy: Double sals are coming along, and thanks to some great tips I read from doubletoe and company, so are my double toes! :bow:

Stressy: Axels are still AWOL. It has everything to do with that stinking takeoff edge. If I go REALLY slow, I can land them with a quarter turn cheat, but the minute I think about getting it bigger and faster, it all goes down the drain. I know...must be patient...

Hey, that's great about your double sals and double toes! And I'm still with you on the axel takeoff frustration! I have been working on almost nothing else for the past week. I'm coming to the realization that the speed doesn't matter as long as you can get into the right takeoff position. . . although it's harder to do and you have less time to do it if you're going faster. Mine has been working as long as I can get into sort of a "Z" position with my body when I step onto the takeoff edge. What I mean by that is: Down low on the jumping knee, shoulders and arms pulled back, but chest sticking out and lined up over the knee and toe. I am trying to develop a mental image that helps me get all aspects of that position at once, but I'm not quite there yet. If I get down low on my knee, I tend to forget to pull my shoulders back. If I pull my shoulders back, I tend to forget to get down low on my knee and stick my chest out, etc. etc.

doubletoe
12-16-2004, 02:16 PM
Loop loop
You got a wally 8O :bow: Im impressed, Iv been trying that for weeks and still can't manage it. CONGRATS :bow:

Weeks?! Try years! Ha ha! There must be some trick to it that I'm just not seeing yet. . .

Debbie S
12-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Hey philly, I was obsessed with alt 3's for a while last spring. :) And I'm soon going to be obsessed with power 3's, for sure, although I'm not quite there yet (meaning I haven't been focusing on moves that much lately). And then there was the time I was dreaming up possible new footwork steps during my marketing research methods class, which gives everyone an idea of how interesting the class was. ;)

Snazzy: Finished my final assignment for the semester today and am off until the end of January! Well, actually, I'm taking a January class that is held over 2 weekends, so I'll be mostly off. At least, I can get a lot of skating done during the week. :P

Looking forward to seeing your show on Saturday, flo!

Stressy: Due to aforementioned school commitments, I haven't skated in a week. I'm hoping to skate tomorrow.

Even more stressy: On the way home from my lesson last Thursday, I was rear-ended by an uninsured driver who was driving with a suspended license. Did I mention it was raining cats and dogs at the time? :roll: Since there were lights (and wires) hanging down across the back, I decided it needed to go into the shop, so I have spent a good portion of the past week securing a rental car, arranging for estimates and repairs, talking to numerous ins people, etc. :evil: I'm hoping my car will be finished early next week.

starskate6.0
12-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Hello!! You're right, I was testing in December (at Ardmore), but that was Pre-Juvenile moves...and I passed! (well, at least according to one judge :oops: )

And thanks for the testing advice, NoVa!! (Congrats on your recent successful tests, by the way). My key is keeping nervous knees under control. My moves coach recently tought me a little breathing trick where you "blow out" all of the nerves, and while I was skeptical at first, it seemed to work on my most recent test. I was able to get rid of the nerves. And I managed to pass every move (some with extra points ;) ) except for the #$*%@(%!$*!(!@^#* back 3-turns! :frus: :frus: :frus: No touch-downs or anything this time. My coach thinks I've become obsessed with them. I don't know, do you agree that it's obsessive to think about them in the shower, at work, during the drive to work, during the drive home from work, at the gym, during dinner (hubby LOVES that), in my sleep, and, well, now?? :roll:

:D Whats up girl .. I have great admiration for you doing the standed track test as well as the adult. But don't sweat the small stuff as they say.
It will all come to you soon enough. I too dream of great things, the double axel, my first triple and although some may think Im a bit loony 8O :roll:
I still have hope that one day it will happen. "Oh" and if your still thinking of doing a back 3 turn while making whoopee it may not be a good idea for your husband at the time :halo: " Ouch" :mrgreen:

starskate6.0
12-16-2004, 04:11 PM
Stressy: Show is Saturday. My program's a work in progress (my silver program's not finished, I needed a show program - quickly). Nothing was working last night - at least I got to skate in my costume.

Snazzy - almost finished the Christmas tree costume for the tot's number!

8O FLO

I almost forgot about your show, good thing I did a run through of my stilts and Interp today. I found the directions but need approx drive time.
Please send me an e-mail. Looking forward to seeing your new number. :bow: ;) :D

" The greatest risk in life is not taking one"

Mrs Redboots
12-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Snazzy: Husband took the day off to attend the "Rinklers'" Christmas dinner (adult skaters and friends), so we could get up at a civilised hour and still skate together. Wore my nice red-and-black dress, which isn't suitable for me as a competition dress as it has spaghetti straps, but makes a wonderful smart practice/dance club dress worn over a black T-shirt or polo top. Was very, very good and did 3 laps of my back-skating stamina exercise, followed by 2+1 laps (I really did have to stop in the middle!) of Russian stroking. Really must work more on aerobic skating.

Husband and I then worked together on spins, and got a friend, a former pair skater himself, to show us how to do it in waltz hold - he showed us the proper entry, and although it doesn't work yet, we can see how it might. I would have liked to have tried our arm-in-arm spin from a proper entry, too - we are now consistently getting 4 revolutions on that, which is fantastic.

Stressy: Solo spins, whether side-by-side or just one of us. His are slightly more reliable than mine, but they travel. Mine are mostly dreadful! But if - and it is a huge if - we decide to do some pairs, we're going to need a side-by-side spin. For dance, we can get away with a pairs spin!

sue123
12-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Snazzy: for some reason, i wasn't thinking when i was skating and everything worked for some reason. my three turns felt so good, it was wonderful. i did mohawks without thinking about putting down one foot and lifting the other one. i spun like i could have spun forever. i don't know what the change was, maybe the stress of finals were finally lifted. but it felt just awesome. i jumped, and when i tried to do a half flip, i actually over rotated it, and somehow managed a 2 footed flip with a complete revolution! 8-) although if i try to do it again, i dont' think it would work again. but it felt good for a day.

Stressy: I met an 8 year old brat today. The girl had a lesson for 30 mins, and she was in the center, with her coach. after her lesson, her coach went to teach a tots class, and she decided the public session was her own personal skating rink. granted, it wasn't very crowded since it was friday at 10 am, but there was still enough people that if you wanted to do something, you needed to skate around them. there were some beginners there as well, since there was also a LTS lesson going on at the same time. she thought she owned the rink, almost knocking over a beginner who had to jump out of her way to avoid being pummeled. Yes, the beginner who could barely stand had to jump out of the way.

also, for some reason, the ice wasn't exactly great at one end today. at one of the ends, there was all these bumps on the ice. just skating over it, i ended up falling. but i just avoided that end of the rink. a couple other skaters had already told the manager, who said it would be taken care of at the end of the session, so they coned it off with chains, since it wasn't a huge area.

phillyskater
12-17-2004, 02:16 PM
"Oh" and if your still thinking of doing a back 3 turn while making whoopee it may not be a good idea for your husband at the time :halo: " Ouch" :mrgreen:

NO, it hasn't gotten THAT bad . . . .yet . . . . 8O

Terri C
12-17-2004, 06:09 PM
Today was so stressy that I wanted to cry! :cry:
Apparently the interstate that I take to the rink was occupied by people who forgot how to drive- the ramp at the interchange was backed up! So, I had to go practically around the next city and back again to get to the rink!
Arrived at the rink in just enough time to change at get on the ice, and as I went to get my skates on, the laces on one skate was so uneven that I couldn't lace the skate up properly! :frus: So, I took the laces out and re-laced the whole thing- I didn't have much of a choice.

When I finally got out onto the ice, just to relax and calm down, I did some patch. That worked for a little bit. After that, worked mostly on forward and backscratch spins ( after the day I've had - do I really dare try a sit??).
By that time the freestyle session of our club ice was over and it was time for stroking.
I spent that time talking to the parents and other club board members and learned that the coach we have teaching our stroking class ( she was one of the best coaches at the rink) was fired by the skating director right in front of her own student yesterday.

Add to ALL that a off ice stressor- A co- worker of mine died early this morning and our staff is taking it pretty hard!

NoVa Sk8r
12-17-2004, 07:19 PM
A good day, overall.
Had a pair lesson in the early morning, and Loops and I were finally able to fix our holiday program. The loop lift is back--for now.

Then I schlepped over to another rink to have a singles lesson (in a late-morning public session). Coach had me inventing a new combo spin, and she cleaned up my split jump and back sit.
But someone or something brought me fortitude today because I decided to work on the double flip. I hadn't worked on this jump in 14 months. The last time I attempted this jump, my blade came off. So I figured today was as good a day as any. After doing really nice single flips, I went for the double. BUT, I forgot to uncross my ankles and went crashing to the ice in a huge >THUD<. (I even heard a few children shriek.) My coach looked mortified. And for the rest of the lesson, she kept staring at the nasty swelling bruise growing on my arm. I was lucky to only bruise my right knee, right hand, and left arm.

However, I rarely fall on the ice, so I consider this a blessing in disguise, a way of letting me know that falling is part of the process of progression. When the feeling returns to my right knee, I might even leap for joy. 8-)

mikawendy
12-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Snazzy--
Went to flo's club show, and it was great. I loved flo's interpretive and her hand-painted silk costume, and starskate6.0's stilts number and non-stilts number were great!! I liked your footwork and speed on the ice, starskate6.0! After you did that move where you stop on your heels, one of the audience members next to me said, "Wow, he looks like a pro!" :D Debbie S's coach also did a solo number, and it was really great, too--her presentation and flow througout were really good.

I also took a copy of one of Mr. Ogilvie's books to see if he would sign it, and he did, which made my week! He was so nice, and we talked about figures and skating in general for a little bit.

Michigansk8er
12-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Snazzy - Loop is making a comeback (sort of).

Stressy - Flip is still AWOL. I have to wonder if I'll ever be in Silver shape again. It's looking doubtful at the moment.

starskate6.0
12-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Snazzy--
Went to flo's club show, and it was great. I loved flo's interpretive and her hand-painted silk costume, and starskate6.0's stilts number and non-stilts number were great!! I liked your footwork and speed on the ice, starskate6.0! After you did that move where you stop on your heels, one of the audience members next to me said, "Wow, he looks like a pro!" :D Debbie S's coach also did a solo number, and it was really great, too--her presentation and flow througout were really good.

I also took a copy of one of Mr. Ogilvie's books to see if he would sign it, and he did, which made my week! He was so nice, and we talked about figures and skating in general for a little bit.

GREAT SHOW
I had a great time today, it realy helps when you have a few friends out there to cheer you on and I got to meet a few of the forum members.
:D I worked a little for practice after the show and tried a lot of new footwork idea's, which I just love and spoke to the English gentleman who skated in the 40's. He was a wonderfull man and we had a lot to talk about regarding good foot work and I managed to pull off a nice double flip for him. ;) I thought Flo's number was great and i wish I had seen more of it but I had to get my stilts on for my number. I look forward to seeing you at the New Year event at the Washington FCS.

Mrs Redboots
12-19-2004, 06:23 AM
I do wonder why I put this thread to go for a fortnight - I meant it to finish today! Shows that I'm looking forward to Christmas, doesn't it!

Today's lesson went okay. We worked on basic runs, edges, chasses and swing rolls in Kilian, Reverse Kilian and Waltz holds. We do improve, I think, but it's hard not to stress out when you are trying to follow your husband's lead, and he is either holding you far too tightly or far too loosely, with no happy medium! Plus if you get off-balance he tries to get you back into it without stopping, which I can't do.... but we managed.

Afterwards, in our practice, we tried our spins - it's funny, but I had no problem with the side-by-side spin with the "pairs spin entry", which he did, but I still hate the conventional waltz hold pairs spin! Then we did one really good pattern of the Willow Waltz, as a waltz was playing - the 2nd pattern was less good, but that first pattern was great! And then he was working on his back edges and I showed him the exercise that transformed mine - getting up speed round the circle (back crossovers, or just pushes) and then holding the edge, first outside, then inside - and, of course, round the other way. Am I mean to be pleased that he couldn't keep his shoulders facing into the circle????

Melzorina
12-19-2004, 07:58 AM
I did some runs and chasses in kilian hold with my instructor today, I found it extremely funny. It seemed really weird skating on a pair, and the fact that I was doing it will him was just hilarious. Although apparently I did fantabulous becase I passed my grade as I wrote in the other thread. But I'm so happy!!!

dalsvet
12-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Had my first lesson with the new coach (just moved to a different country, so obviously am at a new rink, and things are still a little scary)

Stressy: salchow was worse then ever, could barely land one and kept skidding the three turn from sheer nervousness. Coach was amused after the first one went haywire, concerned after the fifth. Ooops

Snazzy: spins were decent, but haven't tried change foot combos yet. I generally have a quota of falls for the day, and the salchow exceeded it! New coach seems lovely, really looking forward to next lesson!

Happy holidays to all!

Dalya

Mrs Redboots
12-20-2004, 03:38 AM
I did some runs and chasses in kilian hold with my instructor today, I found it extremely funny. It seemed really weird skating on a pair, and the fact that I was doing it will him was just hilarious. Although apparently I did fantabulous becase I passed my grade as I wrote in the other thread. But I'm so happy!!!I'm really glad for you that you passed your grade! But skating with someone else is far from easy - instructors are one thing, as they know what they're doing, and know how to adapt to you, and how best to help you skate your best. But skating with someone who hasn't the experience to help you, when you don't really know how to help them, either, is a whole different ball game! And can be a lot harder than doing runs, chasses and swings solo.

tidesong
12-20-2004, 07:49 AM
Snazzy
Most of my jumps were where I left them couple weeks ago.

Stressy
Most of my jumps were where I left them couple weeks ago. I was hoping that the break would do some good or something.
And the ice was horrid. I felt stuck in it at first, and later it was rough going. But the rink is going for repairs in January (how long must I suffer) so I hope that gets fixed then.

Melzorina
12-20-2004, 08:06 AM
I'm really glad for you that you passed your grade! But skating with someone else is far from easy - instructors are one thing, as they know what they're doing, and know how to adapt to you, and how best to help you skate your best. But skating with someone who hasn't the experience to help you, when you don't really know how to help them, either, is a whole different ball game! And can be a lot harder than doing runs, chasses and swings solo.

Thank you so much!
I have no intention of pair skating properly, it was just funny while I was doing it because I had the giggles anyway, and he's about three times taller than me!!! (I'm only a weeny 4ft 10 or something!)

flo
12-20-2004, 09:53 AM
Snazzy - it was geat to see Mika, DebbieS and Starskate at the show. Starskates programs were wonderful and enjoyed by all. I really like to invite guests to skate with us in our shows. It's good for the kids, and adults, to meet skaters from other clubs, and we always have a great time.

Stressy - sort of - I wasn't sure about entering the Washington event. My silver program is not finished, and it's a handful! But I put parts of it in my show program, and it seemed to go ok - so I might go for it. The last part of the program was a real interp!

NoVa Sk8r
12-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Flo,
Congrats on your show's success!!!
Perhaps Loops and I will be able to skate in one of your club's shows next year?

OK, holiday program practice this early afternoon was mixed, but ended on a high note. It went from complete disaster to moderate disaster to small disaster to OK to good to respectable.
We had to change a few things, but we ended up doing a really nice tango camel into a dance lift. I'm kinda psyched about that.
The almost dropping Loops in the axel lift kind of marred that third program attempt, but I--Mr. Fragile--recovered nicely, I think. ;)

The amazing part was that even though there were about 20 skaters on the ice, they stayed out of our way during our later runthroughs. And some of the frosty coaches were quite complimentary. That was a nice surprise.

OK, Loops, T minus 3 days!

sk8pics
12-21-2004, 08:53 AM
Do we still have a headbangers club? It was completely Stressy last night: I got onto the ice with my guards still on! :oops: That was the first time I've ever done that, and boy, I never want to do it again! I landed on my left hip and hand, and scraped the fingers of my left hand on the boards as I went down. Took me a few minutes to figure out if I was okay. One of the coaches came over and helped me pick up my stuff (I was holding CD's, water, and fleece when I went flying) and another helped me up. :bow: Besides the pain, the worst part was how confused I felt as to why I was falling! Oh well, never again, I hope!

The rest of the session was snazzy and I got a lot of work done, but sheesh, I'm still very sore this morning. But just glad I didn't break anything!

Happy skating,
Pat

flo
12-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Nova - We'd love to have you and loops join us.
All the best for your show!

dbny
12-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Do we still have a headbangers club? I got onto the ice with my guards still on! That was the first time I've ever done that, and boy, I never want to do it again! I landed on my left hip and hand, and scraped the fingers of my left hand on the boards as I went down.

Ouch! The one time I did that, I got off easy. Can I join the club for the flying header I took into my inside front door last night as I came in with skates in backpack and arms full of groceries and gifts? Caught my snow boot on the rug in the vestibule and now have a nice goose egg. Just lucky I didn't hit the floor too.

Snazzy
I had the ice to myself for the first half hour yesterday, and there were so few people there after that that I really got a nice workout in the hour before my lesson. The little brat who is usually there for an hour long lesson and pays no attention to anyone else on the ice was absent too, what a relief!

In the lesson we did the fun things first, and I got the best ever F power pulls on my right foot. Back power pulls were "actually very good". Then we did F and B cross strokes, which were good enough that we worked on prettying up entry and exit, and insuring a good edge on each.

Stressy
Three turns and power threes. I can either do a half *ssed crossover and step forward, or a real crossover and get stuck. For now, I am to do a real one, but flatten it out to ease the step forward. I am so frustrated with these that I watched the PSA tape on them several times Sun night. It didn't help, but

Snazzy again
I did notice an exercise for B cross strokes that I hadn't before, because I learned cross strokes before power pulls. The exercise is three pulls, three B cross strokes, then the same sequence on opposite feet. It took me a few tries to be able to go from a B cross stroke into an edge pull, but when you get it right, it really flows. I love this exercise! I can do it and it's really fun! If I ever get to skate any kind of program, this is going to be in it.

iskatealot
12-21-2004, 11:24 AM
Snazzy: Came Back from Skates Alive with a Gold in Jr. Bronze Dance (14 step) ((Did very badly in everything else))

Stressy: Compition in 1 month!! Still cant land Axel, Dbl Salchow, Dbl Toe, Dbl Loop all of which Im supposed 2 land before then!!! ARG Spent and hour on only Axels last night, everything fully rotated , proper postitions, just no landing!!!