View Full Version : Transition from Hockey Skates to Figure

russiet
12-14-2004, 09:33 AM
I started skating 4 years ago at age 46. Originally I had no intention other than to skate with my then 6-year old daughter.

Well, 4 years later I now am skating 3 to 5 times a week, and developed a style on hockey skates that impresses most, but that I know lacks a great deal. Many have told me that I have a style that would be favoured by figure skates. I am a almost 50 yr. old male, 6' tall, weigh 160 pounds and am in very good shape. (No I'm not looking for a date).

This last weekend I was fitted to a pair of Jackson Elite figure skates. Two days ago I used them for the first time. After 1-1/2 hours, gee, I only fell on my face a half dozen times. The toe pick is proving to be a bigger obstacle than I imagined. I had been able to do power 3's, but now I can't seem to do a backwards cross over without dragging the pick.

Oh, well....I know it will take some time. I'll be taking up lessons again in January. In the mean time I'm trying to get back to the same comfort level I had on the hockey skates. Does any one have any words of wisdom that might help me acclimate to the change?

Thanks,

Jonathan Maddock

Figureskates
12-14-2004, 10:13 AM
I was a 52 year old male who went to figure skates from hockey skates. I am about your height but closer to 170 pounds.

Had the same problem. Hockey players tend to lean forard on their skates. Figure skaters tend to stand up straighter with their wieght a little further back on the blade. This will get rid of the toepick scratch.

You will get use to it. I have been in figure skates now for the past 6 years.

CanAmSk8ter
12-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Any time you're dragging the toe pick it's because your weight is too far forward. Like figureskates said, that's how you skate on hockey skates so it makes sense that it's happening. I had the opposite problem when I first tried hockey skates- I felt like I was committing my coach's ultimate sin of sticking my butt out, but when I didn't I felt like I was going to fal backward.

Anyway, make sure the skates are laced pretty loosely at the top, and then bend your knees. (Get used to hearing "bend your knees", by the way- that and "again" are every coach's favorite words ;))

sue123
12-14-2004, 10:59 AM
i actually didn't really have too much of a problem when i went from hockey to figures or speed skates. not sure why. but try to be a bit more back on the blade, and when you stroke, it's not foward, it's to the side. i've seen a lot of hockey players who kinda run when they start, but that won't work in figures.

sk8tenn
12-14-2004, 12:23 PM
Also, what one of my coaches told me when I first started skating was to have your toes pressing up to the top of the boot when you skate. You won't drag your toe picks any more. (However, if you're wearing little loafers afterward, you may notice that you're walking around with your toes pointing up in the air. I did that a lot.)

Kristin
12-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Jonothan,

Heck, forget wanting a date. Most female skaters out there don't want to date you.....they are looking for an Ice Dance or Pairs partner (something you might consider someday since it can be fun to win as a team!).

I went from Hockey to Figure skates too and the best recommendation I have is to keep at it. The back crossovers are probably the worst (as you know already). With time, you won't drag the toe pick as much. You just have to concentrate on "flexing" the pushing foot so that your toes feel like they are in the air. Your feet will get sore from doing this but over time, that goes away.

I found also, that I like the more "round" figure skating blades. The Vision has a very round front end that I have found works better for me and is a little closer to a hockey blade. Just my personal preference!

Good luck and have fun!
Kristin

russiet
12-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Your encuragements are appreciated.

This is day #4 (4th day in a row) on the figure skates and about 3-1/2 hours ice time. This was also the day when the skates began to feel more natural on my feet. I got all my threes back. Stroking is a lot cleaner, but backwards stroking still finds me too far forward and pick dragging. I'm just about back to the comfort level I was used to.

It's nice to be able to stop again. That was nerve racking for a while.

I can also do things now that I never could have done on my hockeys (duh). I mean simple things, like a Tee-stop. I could never do that on the hockey's no matter what. Now, today, I just magically do it. I guess I've finally found the back of the blade that wasn't there before.

This is a big endorphine rush. Also a huge relief. I was wondering if it was going to take me a month or more to adjust.

Thanks again.

Jonathan

Mrs Redboots
12-15-2004, 01:57 PM
You may be able to continue with both - I know at least one couple who both play ice-hockey, at least on a recreational basis, and she is a Silver-level figure skater and they dance together at Bronze. So, if you have the time and the energy, it doesn't have to be either/or. But male ice-dancers and pairs skaters are well and truly run-after, like Old Man Kangaroo!

NCSkater02
12-16-2004, 03:51 PM
You can do both. My group coach has skated figure for years. She started playing hockey last year, and is pretty good at it.

doubletoe
12-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Let me add a little more specificity to what a few of the other people were saying. . . Yes, you need to stop leaning forward so much if you want to stay off the toepick, but you still need to have your chest lined up over your knees, which are lined up over your toes. In other words, it's really jsut your head that has to be back farther. You do that by arching your back and pulling your shoulders back, while still keeping your chest pushed forward.

Sit down halfway so that your knees are lined up right over your toes, then bend forward right at the hips, but with an arched back. The result should be that your chest is lined up over your knees and toes, but your shoulders are pulled back and your head is straight up, not forward. Try drawing it as a stick figure and you'll see what I mean. :)

By the way, the great thing about toepicks is that you can slow down while gliding backwards by just leaning forward. You should have seen the bruises I got when I skated in hockey skates and forgot about that! Same with mohawks. Yikes!

sk8erboy
12-16-2004, 10:25 PM
hey thanks for the info! great description :bow:

Kurt

russiet
12-17-2004, 03:35 PM
...you still need to have your chest lined up over your knees, which are lined up over your toes. In other words, it's really jsut your head that has to be back farther. You do that by arching your back and pulling your shoulders back, while still keeping your chest pushed forward.

I get it...nice description.

...By the way, the great thing about toepicks is that you can slow down while gliding backwards by just leaning forward. You should have seen the bruises I got when I skated in hockey skates and forgot about that! Same with mohawks. Yikes!

Probably the same bruises I got as I tripped going forward!

Thanks!