View Full Version : coming back..

fall_in_love
12-13-2004, 08:25 PM
I started skating when I was in about.. 3rd grade. I quit in about 7th. 4 years. and I was so in love with it. I did it as much as I could.. I was up to about freestyle 6.. and I had won lots of competitions. I just loved the feeling of being on the ice and I loved my coach. then my coach had a baby.. and moved away. and she was like my second mom. so it really hurt for me being a young kid.. and skating just wasn't the same. I had a new replacement but.. like I said. it just wasn't the same. maybe you know what i'm talking about? anyway.. on with my point. I really want to get back. i'm in 9th grade now.. 15. and I REALLLLY miss the feeling of being on the ice. I really want to get back at it.. any tips for.. going back? my old skates definitely don't fit me any more I'm pretttty sure. I tried them on and they were kinda tight.. but I'm thinking about just.. going to the rink with them anyway and giving it a try for a good time.. but I really want to get back into it. like a coach again. Any good tips for figureskates? ect?
lol.. its so fun thinking back to the memories.. like landing my first double.. and landing my axel. ahhh.. I'm so excited to be back.
and I know its probably going to take time to get back into the hang of it..
but me. I can still land a perfect double flip.. axel.. salcow*sp never could spell that?!* on the ground..
so.. any comments?!
thanks.
<3<3

icedancer2
12-13-2004, 11:33 PM
Oh my god, you have got to go skating!!

I'm a LOT older than you but I skated from the time I was six until I was 14. Then I quit (my parents didn't want to support it anymore, basically). For 16 years I thought about going back to skating -- and every year I would skate a few times and think about finding a teacher, joining a club, taking a patch (figures) but never actually did it until I was 34!!

So don't wait, just do it -- like they say -- just do it!!

Happy skating!!

vintagefreak
12-14-2004, 01:46 AM
I think its wonderful you're going back. I did the same thing after a long absence. I guess there are just a couple of things to tell you. First, get fitted for new skates. Your feet are different as an adult and may be much wider than they were before. I can't recommend any particular skates since they all fit skaters so differently. I would just go to a skate shop and start from there.

Another thing is to expect some pain the first several times you skate. You're using different muscles than you're used to and I know for me, I could hardly walk after I got off the ice because my hips were so stiff and sore. I'd skate and get home and barely be able to move. I had been active in other sports so I couldn't understand why I felt like a very old granny, but all that went away after I started skating more than just once a week. It was pretty discouraging at first though. Just ease into it! Good luck! ~AF

Melzorina
12-14-2004, 04:42 AM
You've already had 4 years training at it already, and you're only fifteen! I only started when I was fifteen, and I've been doing it for just short of a year. I'm going to be sixteen in 10 days, and my only regret about going into figure skating is that I didn't do it sooner.

Do it! DO IT!

sue123
12-14-2004, 06:44 AM
i'm with everyone else. go and do it. i just started again after not having skated since i wasaround 13. i'm 19 now. its the best decision ever. i just wish i didn't listen to my doc the first time around. so get a coach, or some group lessons if you;re not sure and skate.

Kristin
12-14-2004, 08:53 AM
Just get out there and do it!! You have to start somewhere and the rink would be a great place to start up again. Go to public skate at first since it is cheaper and you can "get your feet underneath you again!"

Have fun!

Elsy2
12-14-2004, 09:52 AM
I might take those skates to a professional and have him put them on a stretcher to give you a little more room to start out. My daughter's Harlicks were too small, and the fitter put them in the oven (even though they aren't heat moldable), then on the stretcher. It worked well enough to get her on the ice in them.

I think you will be amazed at how quickly you progress. I would go ahead and start some privates and just work your way through the elements. Good luck!

fall_in_love
12-24-2004, 09:19 PM
thankyou SO much everyone who helped! just yesterday I went to the rink for public ice time.. and skated.. boy did my feet hurt like you would not believe. but no worries i'm defniitely getting back into lessons. the only jumps I did.. was a waltz jump though. there was NO way these TINY skates of mine would have taken anything else~*(!&~ which is good. on tuesday I am getting new figureskates and I will definitely be breaking them in before my january lessons are starting! the director of the rink filled me in on everything goin on.. i'm going to be doing jumps and spins class and stroking class to start me off and get back into the swing of things! when I went back yesterday the ice just felt.. weird. idk.. like I was so used to just having thsi PERFECT balance and knowing and not being scared. but yesterday I was just.. scared to fall? who knows.. before I know it i'll get my axel back! and that will be the greatest feeling in the world! man did I miss the ice! thanks guys for all the encouragement and advice!!!