View Full Version : Writing Guidelines for new skaters and parents

Aussie Willy
12-13-2004, 05:21 PM
The thread about No Edges has obviously started something here and I am thinking about doing a brochure at our rink for this as well.

So can people please put their suggestions in this thread about what sort of things they would put in a handout to new skaters and parents.

Obviously there is the issue about boots but I am sure there are plenty of fantastic ideas from the wealth of experience on this forum that you would include in a guideline booklet that you would give to people taking up the sport - whether they be parents, kids or adults.

So please put forward your suggestions.

Mrs Redboots
12-14-2004, 11:10 AM
Actually, I think this is something that most teachers could profitably do, whether for beginning skaters, or to give to new students enrolling for private lessons. Including their scale of fees - ideally including fees for attendance at competitions, if a fixed fee is charged. And for partnering a skater during a test, or fixing their boots/blades, cutting their music, etc. And the usual bumph about charging for missed lessons unless adequate notice is given, etc. etc. etc.

Might it be a good idea to have a tear-off bit for the skater or their parents to fill in with their contact details, including mobile telephone numbers? The coach needs this information anyway, and that way they're sure of getting it.

flippet
12-15-2004, 01:55 PM
If I were doing it, I'd make a small booklet--maybe two sheets stapled together to make an 8-page booklet--but emphasize ONE thing per page, briefly stated, in LARGE letters (USE BULLET POINTS and add a cute graphic or two), so as not to overwhelm anyone.

Make one or two pages about buying boots--what kind and why, what to wear while fitting and why, remind about sharpening, and give a list of recommended brands and shops.

Make another page or two about what to wear to lessons, breaking in skates, basic skate care (guards/soakers), and how to lace them up. I can't tell you how many kids (and adults) I see with feet in agony, because they've practically cut off all circulation at the top of the boot, meanwhile their ankles are still flopping over.

Make another page or two about your rink--rules, public session times, perhaps coaches and contact numbers, parking information if necessary, etc.

And then you've got the front and back pages for a title, to say have fun, etc. If you've got room, maybe make one page for basic skating tips--bend your knees, keep your waist straight, etc. And, for fun, you could add a page for people to write down names and numbers of friends they're making in skate class! Make it socially-oriented as well as an information booklet.

Melzorina
12-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Might it be a good idea to have a tear-off bit for the skater or their parents to fill in with their contact details, including mobile telephone numbers? The coach needs this information anyway, and that way they're sure of getting it.

I didnt know coaches needed the details of their students...mine doesn't...

jenlyon60
12-15-2004, 04:55 PM
My coach gives all his new students a copy of his rates and terms (cancellation policy, competition fees, test fees, loss of earnings, etc).

He requires the student or student's parent(s) as appropriate to sign an "agreement" or "understanding" sheet and return that to him. He's found that the latter helps minimize the surprises.

Melzorina... having student contact info on file is good for a coach if they have to cancel due to illness or emergency.

Melzorina
12-15-2004, 05:07 PM
I suppose you have a point but it hasn't happened yet.

Mrs Redboots
12-16-2004, 07:54 AM
Our rink does have a small booklet with the sort of information that Flippet mentions; the teachers produce their own literature with their charges, and also pictures of each teacher, with information about how much s/he charges per lesson, and the times of teaching ice, are posted inside the rink (They really must change the picture of my teacher - it's the same as on our rink's website and really makes him look like a thug. Which he isn't).

Melzorina, I know it hasn't happened yet, but one day the Zamboni will break down, or the ice-making plant, and the rink will be unskateable - and it is "When", not "If", as it happens to the best-managed ice-rinks - and your teacher will want to contact you to tell you not to come in. So it might be worth giving him or her your contact details. If you're still in group lessons, the rink probably has that information on file anyway, but if you're having private lessons, it makes sense for your teacher to know your mobile number, at a bare minimum.

Melzorina
12-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Oooh stop scaring meee!

Oh well, I'll let the rink contact meeee, it'd be odd if I just said "oh, here's my number" blah de blah.

Perry
12-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Please, please say something about ice etiquette. In other words, reminds kids that the person doing their program has the right of way, spins generally go in the center, and if they want to stand around and talk, they should do it at the boards. I can't say how big a problem this is at my rink, solely because the coaches don't bother teaching the little kids these things, so they don't know.