View Full Version : Engagement on Ice

garyc254
12-13-2004, 08:52 AM
I posted this on the non-skating forum too, because it is and yet isn't about skating.

My girlfriend’s daughter, Jane, and her boyfriend, Joe, have been planning to get married in the future.

A few months ago, Jane’s grandfather offered Jane her grandmother’s wedding ring to have the diamonds remounted in a ring for Jane’s engagement. Jane and Joe went to a jeweler (family friend) where Jane picked out several styles of mountings. Later, Joe went back to the jeweler alone and made the final choice so that the ring style would be a surprise.

Joe kept the ring style a secret from everybody and began plotting when and where to propose. A couple of weeks ago, he came up with a plan and clued in only those that absolutely needed to know.

Jane’s skating club’s Christmas show was yesterday. All of Jane’s friends and skating partners as well as her mother (who was running the show) and grandfather would be there. Joe’s parents, brother, and family, too.

Jane skated a comedy routine early in the show and a serious Christmas number before the intermission. Her synchro team, which she coaches and skates on, was scheduled to skate the last program of the show.

After Jane skated her serious program, two girls from her team came to center ice to give her a gift and some white roses (her favorite) from the team. Actually, they were there to distract Jane. Jane opened the present to see a small statue of a boy and girl mouse, the boy mouse holding a huge diamond ring behind his back.

Just after she opened the gift, Joe, in a tuxedo and figure skates, skated up behind Jane, and slid to one knee next to her. He quickly opened the ring box he carried and asked Jane to marry him. She was totally shocked and could barely speak, but shook her head yes.

They hugged and kissed at center ice as the crowd cheered and hollered.

It was a very special intermission as all of their friends and family came to congratulate them.

Joe did very well!!!

skaternum
12-13-2004, 08:59 AM
That is SO SWEET! I love it. I hope they have a long, happy marriage.

nerd_on_ice
12-13-2004, 09:48 AM
*snif*
I love it! Congratulations to them both! :bow:

doubletoe
12-13-2004, 02:55 PM
He gets lots of points! My husband proposed to me on the ice, too, even though he is not a skater. It is very symbolic because it shows they're willing to come into our world in order to be with us! :) Wishing them many years of happiness. . .

Melzorina
12-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Awwww that's so sweet!
...And extremely coooool!

Mrs Redboots
12-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Wonderful! Congratulations to them both.....

My daughter did the proposing, on Leap Year's Day, but got given her ring in the middle of the first snow this winter when they'd gone away to celebrate five years together.

And we celebrated our Silver Wedding earlier this year with a party at our ice rink! That was one good party....

garyc254
12-15-2004, 09:17 AM
The photos of the show are on-line now at

http://www.northcountyphotos.com/

# 4 is a picture of my twins (they helped us setup and take down)

# 23 is a photo of Jane (I don't know why she looks surprised)

# 178 begins the series of Jane's solo

# 191 begins the series of the proposal

# 320 begins the series of Jane's synchro team
(She coaches and skates on the team. She choreographed the program as well as designed the costumes)

Can you tell I'm proud of her.

Too cool!!! :D

Mel On Ice
12-15-2004, 09:46 AM
Jane looks so much like her mom in some of those pictures. I'm so happy for her.

Mrs Redboots
12-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Wonderful pictures, Gary - but one thing surprises me: in this country, photographers may not post pictures of minors on the Internet without protecting them with a code or something. I'm hoping the woman who took our photos at the Winter Festival will post the adults without a code so I can post a link, but she wasn't quite sure.

Mel On Ice
12-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Mrs. R -

I know this concern was an issue for me as webmaster of my club's site. If you notice, I post pictures, but never names. I don't think there are any names listed on said photographs.

Isk8NYC
12-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Sweet story - my best wishes to the engaged couple.

I watched a very strange movie last night called "Karroll's Christmas." In one scene, the main character puts on a caribou costume and skates out to center ice to propose to his figure-skater girlfriend.

It was a very funny scene. If it comes on A&E again, I would recommend taping or watching it.

Melzorina
12-15-2004, 03:14 PM
I went to see the pictures of the engagement, I must say that your daughter is very pretty.