View Full Version : you know you're obsessed when...

sue123
12-12-2004, 06:45 PM
I thought this might be fun to start, feel free to add on

-you have missed class/work due to an important skating practice or competition
-you refuse to tell those close to you just how much those skates actually were and usually knock off a couple hundred dollars
-your ankle has not stopped hurting in about a year
-you have a permanent scar from that place where your skate rubs against your shin
-you can't sit down anymore because you refuse to stop practicing even after you've taken some nasty falls thereby leading to some rather unsightly bruises
-you pass up on plans with your friends so you could skate
-everyone at school/work somehow know you skate and ask you how you're feeling after the latest knee sprain/concussion/wrist sprain/etc. even if you've never talked to them before in your life
-they probably know you skate because you take your skates with you to class/work after skating beforehand in order to let them air out and not let them get rot sitting in an unventilated car
-you get up 3 hours earlier than you'd have to in order to skate

that's all i've got for now, any others?

vintagefreak
12-12-2004, 06:51 PM
I love the "you refuse to tell those close to you just how much those skates actually were and usually knock off a couple hundred dollars."

Oh boy do I know how that works! My husband would kill me if he knew what I really pay for skating stuff.

I guess I could add this....... You feel like crap and can hardly walk from a fall(s) and/or hard practice one day; spouse tends to your wounds and helps out a little more than usual that night and then the very next day you go and practice again (not without lots of Ibuprofin) but don't tell anyone you went skating because they'll think you're a big faker or a worse, a nut-job.

NCSkater02
12-12-2004, 07:11 PM
You don't even notice the odd looks you get when you stop at the store on the way home from the rink...in your short dress. :roll:

I have a coworker in my new job that doesn't even know my name yet, but she knows that I skate on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons.

And, in my last job, it was always "What did you do on your day off, other than skate? "

Terri C
12-12-2004, 07:57 PM
You're holding a major prayer vigil that you can get the time off from work to go to that all important competition.

You eagerly await the next work schedule, because your coach schedules your lessons on your days off (at least mine does).

You spend almost the entire day in your skating clothes.

Figureskates
12-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Since I usually skate right after work, I usually wear my club warm up jacket to work.

I dress more like a skating coach than business casual.

CanuckSk8r
12-12-2004, 08:01 PM
That list is awesome!!!!

The one about not being able to sit right is SO true, I used to bring an extra jacket/sweater to class so that I could sit on it to make it through class!!

how about... you rate a piece of music based on it's "skatability"!!

icedancer2
12-12-2004, 08:08 PM

How about: you go to the movies, you spend your time there scrutinizing the soundtrack for skatable music and then go buy the CD at Borders on the way home!

NoVa Sk8r
12-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Oh boy:

-You have your supervisor change the weekly staff meeting because your morning skate "forces" you to always miss some or all of it.

-You pray for the cold weather season so you can stock up on gloves at Target or Wal-Mart.

-You purchase a home based on how close it is to your rink (or in my case, 2 rinks!)

-When family, friends, and coworkers ask how much you skate, you invariably lie so that they don't think you're too crazy.

-You dread going to the pool since your feet are not so picture perfect.

-You buy mass quantities of ibuprofen. :P

Figureskates
12-12-2004, 08:14 PM
You watch ads for skating shows on TV and you can rattle off the jump they did.

Terri C
12-12-2004, 08:19 PM
You watch ads for skating shows on TV and you can rattle off the jump they did.

This reminds me of something else.
When you're at a skating celebrity meet and greet at your rink (this happened to me recently) and the parents, as well as some of the skaters that you skate with do not know who some of the celebrity skaters are and have to ask you who is who!

XdanceX
12-12-2004, 08:32 PM
You change schools so that the times fit your skating scheduel and allows u to skate more.

sue123
12-12-2004, 08:42 PM
That list is awesome!!!!

The one about not being able to sit right is SO true, I used to bring an extra jacket/sweater to class so that I could sit on it to make it through class!!

i unfortunatly had the unpleasant experience today about having to drive back to campus after going home for the weekend. it's about an hour drive. a very painful hour.

and i do the "skatability" thing, i end up kinda choreographing a routine in my head, forgetting that i can't do most of the things i would like to for the song.

doubletoe
12-12-2004, 08:50 PM
- You'll get up at 5:00am to skate, even though you've never seen fit to get up at 5:00am for anything in your life. . . in 30-40 years!

- You hate the holidays because the family get-together and the company holiday party interfere with your practice schedule!

TashaKat
12-12-2004, 11:36 PM
Your wardrobe contains a LOT of lycra based garments
You spend more on skating clothes than you do on work or 'life' clothes
You'll happily spend a fortune on ice skates but recoil in horror at the price of normal shoes
Tan tights don't seem quite so tacky anymore
You do mohawks at the bus stop
You will miss a night out to skate
You will leave a night out early because you have to be up in the morning
You look at potential dates with a view to whether or not they would make a good pairs/dance partner
You drive to work and end up in the ice rink car park (that's a MelanieUK one!)
You wear glitter
Somebody jokingly asks you how you do a triple axel and then glazes over as you wax lyrical about the different entries to jumps
You get up before sun rise to stumble around on an oversized ice cube with little more than kitchen knives attached to your feet
People know not to ask you out on certain evenings as they know that there's no way that you'll cancel your skating lesson

Perry
12-13-2004, 05:53 AM
A doctor has tried to give you/your mother a lecture on spousal/child abuse because of all your skating bruises. (actually happened to me)

Mrs Redboots
12-13-2004, 07:07 AM
All your holidays are to do with skating - either training camps or competitions or (Mountain Cup) both!
You do Mohawks in Church while waiting for Communion (I did, once, not thinking what I was doing - but after that I knew how a Mohawk "worked").
You refer to turning the car round as "Doing a 3-turn" (husband - I wasn't sure if he meant a U-turn or a 3-point turn).
You think of your father as Zamboni-ing the lawn (I wish - he was on a ride-on mowing-machine at the time!).
You know exactly who does what in which television advertisements (the only sort of skating we get here, mostly :( ), and if you don't know, you find out!
Which reminds me, does any British skater know who that girl who does that Salchow in the Brita water filter ads is? Nobody here seems to know, but it is thought that the rink is Murrayfields.

You aren't looking forward to Christmas this year, so much as Boxing Day when they are showing Strictly Come Dancing on Ice. You will probably know who the pros are better than the Z-list celebrities....

CanAmSk8ter
12-13-2004, 08:49 AM
Ok, so is it bad if I do basically all of these? ;)

Here's one- your new skates come to $850, and your mother's reaction is "Wow, that's not bad at all. I was expecting more than that." (Since my previous pair had been customs with custom orthotics and had come to $1500 total, I guess she had a point).

I'm LOL that other people won't say how much their skates cost. I hate it when learn-to-skate parents ask me what I pay for my skates because I'm trying not to scare them out of the sport, but I think that might very well happen if they new how much I plunk down for skates every year or two! In high school I decided to keep it a secret from my boyfriend that my skates had cost more than his (piece of cr*p) car- he would have freaked out!

sue123
12-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Ok, so is it bad if I do basically all of these? ;)

Here's one- your new skates come to $850, and your mother's reaction is "Wow, that's not bad at all. I was expecting more than that." (Since my previous pair had been customs with custom orthotics and had come to $1500 total, I guess she had a point).

I'm LOL that other people won't say how much their skates cost. I hate it when learn-to-skate parents ask me what I pay for my skates because I'm trying not to scare them out of the sport, but I think that might very well happen if they new how much I plunk down for skates every year or two! In high school I decided to keep it a secret from my boyfriend that my skates had cost more than his (piece of cr*p) car- he would have freaked out!

i'm one of those people who dont say how much they cost. my dad is very happy thinking i'm still skating in a pair of skates that cost $30 from modells. my mom on the other hand doesn't really care too much if i decide to use a couple of my slighter higher than minimum wage paychecks for my skates. Than again, all of my skating costs come from my paychecks. the problem is, they don't pay students very much.

although oddly enough, my mom has become much more supportive of my skating since i got a job and a car.

nerd_on_ice
12-13-2004, 09:47 AM
This is awesome. My additions:

When watching skating on TV with your friends, you get up to demonstrate moves & jumps (including stuff you can't do on ice)
Even in a tight job market you won't relocate to any town that doesn't have a rink
You write things about skating whenever you need example sentences/paragraphs for your English class
You evangelize about crappy rental skates when friends insist they "tried skating once and hated it"
Now that the whole Grand Prix series is on ESPN, you consider browbeating your husband into getting cable :oops:

Also, count me in on

Thinking of a 3-point turn in the car as a 3-turn
Practicing mohawks in odd places (most recently, while awaiting the verdict on my Ph.D. orals--I passed, but my mohawks still stink)
Wearing glitter (much to my husband's disdain)
Hiding the cost of my skates

Melzorina
12-13-2004, 10:56 AM
You aren't looking forward to Christmas this year, so much as Boxing Day when they are showing Strictly Come Dancing on Ice. You will probably know who the pros are better than the Z-list celebrities....

I am!!! Apparently Daniel Whiston, Leigh Mack and Oula Jaaskelainen from hot ice are the professionals! How cool?! Does anyone has Sky sports extra, because there's some figure skating with Kristi Yamaguchi (sp?) and others on sometime...I saw it in the tv guide while looking for strictly come dancing on ice.

jazzpants
12-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Here are the ones I could think of off the top of my head... :twisted:

You calculate how much stuff costs relative to how much you pay for skating lessons. (i.e. a good pair of Nikes is a freestyle punch card, an iPod is 9-10 skating lessons... you get the idea...)
Your boss knows your practice and lesson schedule and will adjusts meeting day and times to accomodate that.
Your coworkers comments when you wear regular pants (and not your lycra jazz pants) to work. ("Oh, my!!! Joanna's wearing REAL pants with zippers and buttons...") :twisted:
(For those of you in the general NYC area) Your in-laws know in advanced that you will be skating a LOT at all the different rinks in and around NYC and Long Island.
You look forward to Halloween b/c that's when Skate SF is!!! :mrgreen: (My shameless plug for everyone here to start saving up for this competition. It's BIG!!! And if you are a volunteer at this competition, you will be fed well too!) :twisted:
The muscle guys at the gym goes 8O when they see you doing close to 200lbs on the leg press... THEN really goes 8O when they sees you do your stretches -- consists of working towards a Martini (or Y) spin (Almost there!) or a higher spiral (mine REALLY sucks.) There's also one for forcing me to turn my torso for my back crossovers too...
You go thru an annual depression around mid-April b/c you haven't pass Bronze moves and FS yet -- you're stuck staying home instead of partying at wherever Adults Nationals are that year! :cry: (If you guys want to cheer me up around that time this year, keep me in the loop about what's going on at AN... It's the best thing to actually being there.)

sue123
12-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Here are the ones I could think of off the top of my head... :twisted:

(For those of you in the general NYC area) Your in-laws know in advanced that you will be skating a LOT at all the different rinks in and around NYC and Long Island.

hehe, i do that, i live in ny, and i have been to so many rinks in the nyc/long island area, i know the pros and cons of each one, what sessions to go to, which ice is better. my roomate thinks i'm crazy because i know more ice rinks than movie theaters.

btw, if you skate in long island, have you ever been to newbridge arena? they have sessions on tuesday mornings from 8-10, and fridays from 10-12 i think and 1:30-3:30. the ice is essentially deserted at those times, so you can skate all you want there, without anyone bothering you. although i think on fridays, they have a tots skating school, but they're only at one end of the rink so it's not bad at all.

XdanceX
12-13-2004, 12:52 PM
you practice spread eagles in the cafeteria at school (tk)

you go to the arena more than twice a day

you get bored at vacations because you can't go and skate for a weekend.

TashaKat
12-13-2004, 03:39 PM
Which reminds me, does any British skater know who that girl who does that Salchow in the Brita water filter ads is? Nobody here seems to know, but it is thought that the rink is Murrayfields.

I don't but MelanieUK will probably know as she skates there.

dglvr
12-13-2004, 03:55 PM
-Your anual skating epenses cost way more than your brothers college tuition.

-You spend more time at the rink than you do at home or at school.

-You start calling your coaches Mom or Dad.

-You know all the janitors and workers personally.

-Your friends hate it when you talk about skating because you talk about it constantly!

-You go on skating dicusion boards such as this one to gossip or talk about skating with people like you who can't talk to anyone else about skating because those people get annoyed! LMAO!

dglvr
12-13-2004, 03:56 PM
discusion**

GrobaniteSk8er
12-13-2004, 08:03 PM
hmmm...
1. you begin doodling skaters while your supposed to be listening to teacher then draw a complex catalog of different jump and spin posistions with illustrations, then you make a tiny flip book on the bottom corner of your notebook of a skater doing an axel then you create another catalog, this time of every different mohawk, bracket, 3-turn and choctaw (not to mention rockers) followed by your own drawings of the moves in your rulebook. Eventually you move on to drawing the choreography for your own program then creating a program for the song that is currently stuck in your head.
2. You buy a kids book just because it has a skater on the cover (have done this several times- even if the book has nothing to do with skating.)

babeonblades
12-13-2004, 09:56 PM
you know your obsessed when:
-your willing to drive an hour and half just to get your skates sharpened at the actual figure skating shop.
-your willing to get up before its even close to being light outside and then being able to get dressed/ make uped in the rink bathroom.
-you practice spirals/ program arm position in windows, mirrors and any reflective surface and your friends don't even question what your doing.
-your competition dresses cost more than any other item of clothing in your closet!!!

Melzorina
12-14-2004, 04:46 AM
You know you're obsessed when:

The terms "Ice skating" "arena" "lessons" "(coaches name)" are banned from being said.

Kristin
12-14-2004, 08:51 AM
You know you are obsessed when:

Your synchro practice was cancelled, but you end up at the rink anyway for a skating B-day party. (Happened to me recently!)

Kristin

Mrs Redboots
12-14-2004, 11:19 AM
I am!!! Apparently Daniel Whiston, Leigh Mack and Oula Jaaskelainen from hot ice are the professionals! How cool?! Also Robert Burgerman & Charlotte Clements - who's the 6th????

Melzorina
12-14-2004, 11:26 AM
I've no idea...I'm going to find out though. I'm really excited! It's rare thats there's skating on telly, and especially seeing as it's Hot Ice people! Daniel! Awww!

Melzorina
12-14-2004, 11:33 AM
I think there's only supposed to be 5 pairs!

Jessica Taylor/Michelle Heaton (I don't know which) (Possibly Robert Burgerman)?
Scarlett Johnson (Partnering with Daniel)
Carol Smilie (Partnering with Oula)
Paul Gascoigne replaced by David Seaman (Possibly Charlotte Clements)?
Marcus Patric (Partnering with Leigh)

I think thats it.

Mrs Redboots
12-14-2004, 01:52 PM
It's Jessica Taylor with Robert Burgerman, that's for sure (they are practising at our rink!). Who on earth is Marcus Patric - never heard of him!

Melzorina
12-14-2004, 03:58 PM
Some celebrity then...
I've never heard of him either.

vesperholly
12-14-2004, 06:47 PM
You're excited to move into your new place because there is an extra closet that you can put only skating stuff in! :lol:

jenlyon60
12-14-2004, 07:35 PM
Some celebrity then...
I've never heard of him either.

I googled him and it appears he's an actor who is or was on some TV show called "HollyOak" or something like that.

mikawendy
12-14-2004, 08:21 PM
You spend more on your skates than you have on any other piece of clothing (including wedding dress!)

(If you're a clockwise skater) You know the names of most of the elite skaters and local skaters who are also clockwise. :lol:

(If you're a really obsessed clockwise skater) You keep a list by your television of all the clockwise skaters that you see on TV, including those shown on regionals and sectionals! :D

You seriously consider wearing skating tights instead of pantyhose to work. (Pantyhose are EVILLLLLL.)

If in the last 12 months you have purchased new luggage and never used it in a non-skating context.

Chico
12-14-2004, 09:50 PM
=-)

1. Missing a few days skating can make me work myself into a panic attack.
2. I will move heaven and earth to skate.
3. I have put up with situations that I NEVER would accept normally to skate.
4. I have bee known to skate HURT or SICK to skate. (I have drawn the line and vomiting however. =-))
5. I have been known to almost kill myself trying to do...(fill in the blank) because I NEEDED to do it.

Could write a novel here. =-)

Chico

sue123
12-15-2004, 06:05 AM
you've gotten seriously hurt while skating, and you had to fight with the doctors about what would really happen iff you skate. really, what could happen if you skate with a concussion and fall again? can't be too bad, right? (don't worry, i didn't skate with my concussion, my roomate had to basically tie me down so i wouldn't go though.)

Mrs Redboots
12-15-2004, 06:41 AM
You have an operation and go back on the ice when you think you're ready, which is several weeks before the doctors would even dream of giving you permission to do so! (Not me, a friend of mine - in fact, come to think of it, two friends of mine!).

CanuckSk8r
12-15-2004, 09:32 AM
You and your dance partner end up in the emergency room 3 times within 8 days and the staff doesn't even ask questions, since over the course of the years you've been in often enough to be on a first name basis!

nerd_on_ice
12-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Okay, I just discovered a new one (background: I skate on near-deserted morning public sessions almost daily)...

You go through your skating bag and find TWENTY of the stick-on labels your rink uses as admission passes to public sessions.

Hmm, maybe this doesn't prove that I'm obsessed but merely that I need to clean my bag more often? :oops:

NoVa Sk8r
12-15-2004, 01:53 PM
You have an operation and go back on the ice when you think you're ready, which is several weeks before the doctors would even dream of giving you permission to do so! (Not me, a friend of mine - in fact, come to think of it, two friends of mine!).

Good one.
In a lesser form, when I hurt my back last year, my doc told me I needed to take off for maybe 6 weeks. I said, "That is not an option." He just stared at me. I said, "We need to hurry this up and get me healed...I have a holiday show coming up!"
Is it bad that the doc's staff knows my social security number by heart? ;)

CanAmSk8ter
12-15-2004, 04:30 PM
At the holidays, you discuss tendinitis, x-rays, and MRI procedures with your 80+-year-old grandparents while your same-age cousins look at you like you're nuts. ("You have tendinitis? Already? Aren't you a little young for that?)

NCSkater02
12-16-2004, 03:33 PM
You have an operation and go back on the ice when you think you're ready, which is several weeks before the doctors would even dream of giving you permission to do so!

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I had reconstructive surgery last fall, and the surgeon wanted me off ice until I saw him at six weeks post op. 8O When I pushed to get back earlier, he compromised (like he had a choice!) and said once I was off narcotics. I took three (still have a bottle of Vicodin in my cupboard) and was back on the ice in ten days. He did tell me no spinning or jumping. I didn't for five weeks, five days...did my first jump and spin two days before my six-week appointment.

jmp123
12-16-2004, 08:12 PM
you know you're obsessed when:

1. you 'skate' to the radio when you drive
2. you drive everyone nuts because every time you hear music, you either want to know what it is, or you know who skated to it
3. you want to know WHY you can't skate with a long arm cast...

Then there was my first pair partner - when I broke my kneecap (requiring a cast from thigh to ankle), my partner wanted to know if I could get a walking cast with a blade embedded in the bottom... We still did lifts with the cast on.

jazzpants
12-16-2004, 09:12 PM
... you just got off the ice from a freestyle session to get ready to go to work... and you find that the following freestyle session is essentially "private ice"... and you are STRONGLY contemplating coming in to the office just a tad late so you would stay for that "private ice" session. :lol: (Unfortunately, work did win out in the end...)

Mrs Redboots
12-17-2004, 11:02 AM
I heard this one today - a skater I know:

You need major surgery, fairly urgently, but you put it off for a month so you can skate at a competition!

Melzorina
12-17-2004, 01:55 PM
I think there's only supposed to be 5 pairs!

Jessica Taylor/Michelle Heaton (I don't know which) (Possibly Robert Burgerman)?
Scarlett Johnson (Partnering with Daniel)
Carol Smilie (Partnering with Oula)
Paul Gascoigne replaced by David Seaman (Possibly Charlotte Clements)?
Marcus Patric (Partnering with Leigh)

I think thats it.

Ooh wait I got it wrong! There IS another couple! The pairs are as follows:

Carol Smilie (presenter) and Oula Jaaskelainen
Jessica Taylor (Liberty X) and Robert Burgerman
Scarlett Johnson (Vicky Fowler in EastEnders) and Daniel Whiston
Roland Rivron (comedian and presenter) and Charlotte Clements
Marcus Patric (Ben in Hollyoaks) with Leigh Mack
David Seaman (former England goalkeeper) with Zoia Birmingham

icenut84
12-17-2004, 01:59 PM
It's Jessica Taylor with Robert Burgerman, that's for sure (they are practising at our rink!). Who on earth is Marcus Patric - never heard of him!

He plays Ben in Hollyoaks.

I've got one (that actually happened): When you're sitting watching Worlds with your parents (first time you've seen it) and not only can you identify the jump someone's about to do from the set-up, before they do it, but you also correct the commentator! At one point during Worlds, someone did a 3flip, and the commentator said "triple loop". I said ", no, it was a triple flip", and then the commentator said "triple flip, rather." :lol: I also impressed my mum by identifying a jump someone had just landed before the commentators did. :)

mikawendy
12-17-2004, 06:07 PM
I've got one (that actually happened): When you're sitting watching Worlds with your parents (first time you've seen it) and not only can you identify the jump someone's about to do from the set-up, before they do it, but you also correct the commentator!

....And when you can tell from the entrance to the jump or the skater's air position that they're going to fall. (I am amazed, though, at some of the elite skaters who look like they're going to fall by their angle in the air--way too far out of the circle, and then they land the jump, with full rotation. :bow: :bow: )

sk8er1964
12-17-2004, 09:28 PM
When you haven't a clue what the latest Hollywood star looks like, but you can recognize the skaters from 15 rows up, across the rink, at a cheesefest.

When you call in sick to work, but contemplate going to your skating lesson anyway.

You caress your skates sitting on a table airing out, as you walk by.

You show your co-workers your competition tape 8O (Hey, they asked to see it :lol: ).

You show off your bruises, if you can, and if they're where you can't show them, you brag about them anyway. And, of course, explain in detail how they happened!

iskatealot
12-20-2004, 11:33 AM
You know you are obsessed when

You refuse to go away on Vacation because you need to go to practice
You can only skate 5 days a week but lie and say youskate everyday anywayz
You want to lose weight not so that you look better but so that your new skating dress fits just a little bit better
You have ever been broken up with because you are at the rink too much
People look at you funny when you date a hockey player because its so odd for you
By the end of the first week of school all your new teachers know which days you skate and when you will need to leave you skates in their rooms

definitly ditto on the lying about the skate price and on the skating dresses costing more than than any other clothes you own

skaterinjapan
12-20-2004, 04:58 PM
When you're sitting watching Worlds with your parents (first time you've seen it) and not only can you identify the jump someone's about to do from the set-up, before they do it, but you also correct the commentator! At one point during Worlds, someone did a 3flip, and the commentator said "triple loop". I said ", no, it was a triple flip", and then the commentator said "triple flip, rather."

I did that, too--correcting the commentator on a triple salchow and toe loop. (My father told me that until then, he didn't think there was really a difference between a triple salchow and a triple toe loop--that all triples were the same to him!)

Andie
12-21-2004, 12:05 AM
Wow, a LOT of these things apply to me. :oops: Especially the part about not wanting certain people in my family to know how much my skates cost. Mine weren't as expensive as they could be, but still.

I also think about some guys as being potential skating partners. A male friend of mine doesn't know how to skate AT ALL (on ice, quads or inline wheels) and he lives far away, but just wait. Some day when we can spend enough time together, I'll definitely be teaching him ice skating! :D Maybe we'd never compete together, but we'd still have fun. He says he wouldn't mind wearing figure skates, so that's a start, right? :lol:

If I were getting a job (which I should get, by the way) I'd definitely need to have the schedule accomodate my skating! That's a MUST.

I've also thought about getting something, like a pair of shoes or some clothes or a couple CD's, then I think about how many practices or lessons that money could be used for.

I wish I lived a little closer to an ice rink; in the future that most likely will play a role in deciding where to live.

I don't skate nearly as much as I want to and should - currently only 1 day a week, for only 1 1/2 hours. :evil:

jazzpants
12-21-2004, 01:21 AM
You call the front desk at the skating rink and ask if they carry Bunga Pads. They say no, but have Clear Clouds... and adds "Is this <jazzpants' real name>???" (Seems the guy recognizes my voice...)

Oh GOD!!! The people know my voice over the phone now!!! LOL!!!! :lol:

looplover
12-25-2004, 11:11 AM
hey all, this is my first post, happy holidays:

my list:

--when you quit the gym because you realize your monthy fee equals four FS walkons per month
--when you park at a cheaper parking lot at work which is four blocks away because that pays for weekly private lesson (!)
--when you learn to ignore friends and family who don't realize that adults figure skate, and think you are trying to go to the olympics at age 37 (!!)
--when you wish you could go skate right now even though it's Christmas Day, because you're watching the world team championships on TV and you want to practice your new program
--When you know which rinks in a 40 mile radius have public sessions that are good for freestylers AND which sessions at that rink are better than others
--and like other people said...waking up at 5 and getting to the rink in the dark!

Melzorina
12-25-2004, 03:46 PM
and like other people said...waking up at 5 and getting to the rink in the dark!

I would KILL to do that! Unfortunately my mum doesn't want to disturb my schooling and doesn't fancy me catching a train at 5.15am. I fancy it very much!!!

sue123
12-26-2004, 03:06 PM
you know every single pothole on the way back from the rink and automatically drive around them before they even become visible, but you keep forgetting about the huge pothole that's on your way home from school, and keeps getting your car angry.

Tessie
12-26-2004, 03:30 PM
you practice your waltz jump while going up on a curb when crossing the street!

iskatealot
01-02-2005, 03:08 PM
I just wanted 2 say that I love this thread.... and that most of these do apply 2 me!

Casey
01-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Okay, some of these are repeats, but I'll just list all of mine that I can think of:

* You are in the kitchen when your landlord is cooking dinner and his friend is visiting, and practice waltz jumps when you think they aren't looking, then they see you and ask what in the heck you're doing.
* You do little spins in your socks on the hardwood floor while talking to friends without even thinking about it.
* You've been fired in the past for not making it to an 8am job start time regularly, but you find that you can wake up in time to get to the morning freestyle session even without using an alarm clock after staying up too late.
* You sell your laptop computer that you love in order to buy expensive skates.
* Somehow you end up telling every single person you know about your skating habit, and try to talk them all into going too.
* You succeed in getting your roomate who hasn't skated in 3-4 years to go skating again and teach you stuff.
* You haven't bought any new clothes in years, but go to Target and stock up on skating clothes without a second thought.
* Your shoes cost 1/40th the price of your skates.
* You skate 6 hours in a day when possible, even though it is terribly exhausting.
* You find yourself just resting on the ice for a couple minutes after falling down after a lot of skating, without caring about what people think.
* You are trying to sleep, and find your mind wandering off to dream land, when suddenly it ends up thinking about skating moves you have been working on and your legs involuntarily jerk this way and that a little in response, re-awakening you.
* You evaluate potential significant others based on whether or not they skate, and find yourself attracted to the better skaters than you at the rink.
* If you go a 4-5 days without skating, you start to go insane...

Happy new year!

Melzorina
01-03-2005, 10:26 AM
About what Cshobe just said about sleeping and skating. (I couldn't be bothered to quote, Sorry!)

I sometimes find myself trying to work out how to do something when I'm sowly drifting off to sleep, and often find that I find out how to do it, and then can't wait to try it out!

sue123
01-03-2005, 11:38 AM
just a safety note on what cshobe mentioned, if you fall at least try to get up right away if you can if there are other skaters. especially at public sessions where not all the people know how to skate. staying down, even if you're tired, can be very very bad, as i saw a couple of weeks ago when somebody fell and didn't get up for reasons unbeknown to me, and then another skater tripped over him because he couldn't maneuver around hte fallen skater, and the ice all of a sudden became red.

but i do sometimes stay down when i go to the 8 am sessions that nobody else goes to if i'm just too tired from falling to actually get up. but never ever do it on a crowded rink.

samba
01-03-2005, 12:03 PM

You plan to retire in a nice hot country, then you realise the country of your choice has no ice rink. :giveup:

kittie067
01-03-2005, 12:34 PM
almost all of these apply to me except. i haven't started going to the 5 am sessions(yet).
*i definately rate music to it's skateability and do spins on the kitchen floor
*my sister does axels on the kitchen floor and drives my mom crazy!
*i almost always wear stretch pants even when im not skating
~kittie

Melzorina
01-03-2005, 12:44 PM
almost all of these apply to me except. i haven't started going to the 5 am sessions(yet)

I'd love to do that, I really would...Why wont my mum let me?!!?

TashaKat
01-03-2005, 03:01 PM
You buy a house near to an ice rink (and then the damn thing closes down a year after you get there :mad:
You go into the kitchen and try to 'glide' on the lino floor because you've been thinking about skating
You wander around at work in your test outfit complete with sequins and nobody bats an eyelid
You wear your new skates (complete with guards) at work to help break them in ... and nobody bats an eyelid
You know what illusion fabric is without asking
You can pronounce seemingly unpronouncable Russian names but still have to think about some English words :rolleyes:
You take your skates on holiday or on a business trip and do an internet search for the nearest ice rinks
You actually buy an overlocker despite not being able to even use a sewing machine just so that you can make chiffon skirts for dance!
You're always covered in bruises
You think that those 'animal' soakers are quite cute and wouldn't mind a pair

garyc254
01-03-2005, 03:19 PM
The first thing I checked for when buying my new small pickup truck was that there was plenty of leg room.

The second was that there was room behind the seat to store my skates. Don't want them bouncing around in the truckbed. :lol: :oops:

Casey
01-03-2005, 04:26 PM
--when you wish you could go skate right now even though it's Christmas Day, because you're watching the world team championships on TV and you want to practice your new program
Yes! I went skating on Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day. I almost drove out of town to go to a rink that was doing a "skate in the new year" from 9pm to 1am, but after 5.5 hours skating during the day, I'd had quite enough and it was all I could do to stay awake for the occasion. I drove to the rink on Christmas day to see if they were open, but they weren't. It's not every day after all that you get time off work and the rink is offering extended holiday hours. ;)

iskatealot
01-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Yes! I went skating on Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day. I almost drove out of town to go to a rink that was doing a "skate in the new year" from 9pm to 1am, but after 5.5 hours skating during the day, I'd had quite enough and it was all I could do to stay awake for the occasion. I drove to the rink on Christmas day to see if they were open, but they weren't. It's not every day after all that you get time off work and the rink is offering extended holiday hours. ;)

I must say you are lucky!!! MY rink CLOSED for the holidays!! :twisted: :cry:

Blosmbubbs
01-04-2005, 11:46 PM
I want a pair of the unicorn soakers!! I couldn't help but skate during the busy holiday sessions. It was good cause I just got my skates sharpened and had to do a lot of stroking to adjust to them.

kittie067
01-05-2005, 09:15 AM
*you can barely walk at school and area annoyed at the nurse cuz you cant get any pain relievers!
*every one knows when you have a test or competition and whether you passed it or not.
*you've watched the 2002 olympics at least 4 times on tape!
~kittie

sue123
01-05-2005, 10:15 AM
I want a pair of the unicorn soakers!! I couldn't help but skate during the busy holiday sessions. It was good cause I just got my skates sharpened and had to do a lot of stroking to adjust to them.

i think i may have to get a pair of animal soakers since my current ones are starting to rip at the ends. i thought the bear was kinda cute though.

russiet
01-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Yesterday:
I woke up 2 hours early because I was thinking about my first lesson in 3 years (started skating 4 years ago at age 46). The lesson wasn’t until 7:30 that night.

Before the lesson I had the same kind of nerves that I used to experience as a teenager just before a musical audition (yes, I was in the band, orchestra and other groups).

After the lesson I couldn’t get to sleep ‘cause I was all pumped-up (it went well), re-living the lesson and thinking about my next practice session.

I really feel like taking a nap, but I have to skate again at lunch today. Sleep tonight!

Youth is not wasted on the young. I feel like I've got plenty.

doubletoe
01-05-2005, 10:16 PM
I'd love to do that, I really would...Why wont my mum let me?!!?

She probably doesn't want to have to get up that early herself and drive you there! 8O

doubletoe
01-05-2005, 10:18 PM
This morning I woke up kind of sick, but not so sick that I couldn't function. I was debating whether or not to go to work and my husband asked me, "If you don't go to work, are you going to go skating?" I thought about it, and when I realized I wasn't tempted to go skating, I realized I MUST be sick! So that's how I decided to stay home, LOL!

Melzorina
01-06-2005, 03:29 AM
She probably doesn't want to have to get up that early herself and drive you there! 8O

She wouldn't have to, she doesn't drive me there anyway, I'm a train person.
So, she doesn't really have a reason not to let me go.

NCSkater02
01-06-2005, 03:57 PM
You go to see Twyla Tharp and Billy Joel's "Movin' Out" and all you can think is
"dang, his spin is better than mine" or
"I wonder how that dress would flow on the ice on me?" or
"That move would look good on the ice if I could do it"

My husband was :roll: at me.

Terri C
01-18-2005, 06:25 PM
You're addicted to skating when you watch Nationals on TV and see coaches who either you or your friends worked with or take lessons from!!!!

CanAmSk8ter
01-18-2005, 07:27 PM
I hadn't even thought of that! I stayed up until 1:30am EST to get results from my best friends' event. I got all excited when ABC showed their pictures briefly during the full results recap. I emailed my mom at work to tell her to look at the USFS photos because my coach and two of my friends were pictured. And I was thrilled when some rinkmates from my old rink won their event. I really need a life.

But what really makes me obsessed was that during two different events, when they did shots of the skaters' parents, I noticed a judge that I know sitting behind them! She's a national judge who I assume was probably judging another event, and she's been on my last couple of test panels. I'll have to remember to tell her the next time I see her that I saw her on TV!

Jumpingbeans
01-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Terri C wrote: You're addicted to skating when you watch Nationals on TV and see coaches who either you or your friends worked with or take lessons from!!!!

Me: MOM! remember her? I took lessons from her! Remember? 8-)

kittie067
01-23-2005, 03:12 PM
*you know how to do a perfect bun.
*dont understand how people can leave thier waist length hair down while practicing.
*start wanting to yell at the little kid or rink attendant duing public skate!(actually happens to me :) )
~kittie

jazzpants
01-23-2005, 07:31 PM
Me: MOM! remember her? I took lessons from her! Remember? 8-) Oh, man! I have something like that with a former private coach of mine. A year ago, I saw him on TV as a celebrity judge for a professional "ice competition." When we're at local competitions, he still says hello to me and addresses me by name! And in my mind as I say hello back to him, all I could think of was "We're not worthy!!! We're not worthy!!!" :bow: (Of course, the best part about this is that he's just the sweetest and nicest celebrity I've ever met!)

Mrs Redboots
01-24-2005, 03:48 AM
This one's an oldie, and not original, but it's coming alarmingly true:

You go to the rink to avoid having to go to the gym - and then you start going to the gym to improve your skating!

jjane45
05-27-2010, 12:47 AM
Hahaha bumping another interesting thread here... :roll:
- You wait for buses in the spread eagle position or doing one-foot squat
- You develop "non-skating-days-syndrome" or NSDS
- You express happiness by doing a one-foot spin on the floor

Sessy
05-27-2010, 07:57 AM
Me: MOM! remember her? I took lessons from her! Remember? 8-)

Or you watch men's figure skating and go like "I met that dude once! He's shorter than me for cryin' out loud!" :lol: I'm not that tall but he really is. :lol:

kayskate
05-27-2010, 09:04 AM
I can relate to seeing a male skater in person. I also note how short and small they are. I also note those who are balding in the back.

You buy a pair of off-road inline skates.
Yes, I did this. Never wore them.
Also have inline speed skates.

You pack 2+ pairs of skates for vacation.

Kay

sk8lady
05-27-2010, 08:36 PM
You walk into court with the other lawyers and the judge looks up and say, "Ms. ____, how did your test session go?"

:lol:

Kim to the Max
05-27-2010, 09:58 PM
You walk into court with the other lawyers and the judge looks up and say, "Ms. ____, how did your test session go?"

* You are talking about skating dresses with your mom and someone just overhears something about butts hanging out and they assume you are talking about skating.

Sessy
05-28-2010, 09:45 AM

Ahhhh love it. :lol:

jazzpants
05-28-2010, 02:16 PM

And how did you answer that question? :lol:

MusicSkateFan
05-28-2010, 03:08 PM
You know you're obsessed when......your low training season is skating 4 times a week.

You've become so accustomed to getting up at 4:30AM to make the 6AM session that you can't stay awake after 9pm even on a Saturday night.

You purposefully post controversial statements on skating forums just to frustrate others!

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

sk8lady
05-28-2010, 05:39 PM
And how did you answer that question? :lol:

"Very well, Your Honor, thank you for asking..." ;)

AgnesNitt
05-28-2010, 07:05 PM
After you break an ankle on the ice, the first thing you ask the doctor is "when can I start skating again?"

And he says "you can't even drive for six weeks, what are you thinking?"

jazzpants
05-29-2010, 02:29 AM
You purposefully post controversial statements on skating forums just to frustrate others! :P:P:PAnd you're DAMN good at it too!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

celticprincess
07-11-2010, 07:51 PM
-Your ipod is filled with Disney, Broadway, Classical and instrumental pieces
-Your constantly choreographing programmes to every song you hear
-You're more excited about staying at the condo with the ice rink in it, than going to the actual beach
-You secretly practice jumps and spin positions at work
-When in an elevator alone, you see if you can hold a spiral for the entire ride...extra points for going up.
-You enjoy going to dance competitions just for the sake of getting new ideas for choreography
-Getting up at 5Am is nothing for you
-Your parents are more against the fact that you're skating all the time, rather than going out drinking.(That was a big one in my college yrs)
-You conned your non skating friend into skating and now he/she is loving it.