View Full Version : the worst thing about public skating

sue123
12-11-2004, 08:54 PM
I'd have to say it's the little kids who don't realize that there is a direction of skating in the rink, and going against that flow is dangerous, not just to me, but to you as well because i am a lot bigger than you. Double the danger factor when the kid is a 4 year old fully decked out in hockey gear thinking they're a Wayne Gretzky, weaving in and out of people, in the wrong direction.

Which is why i usually stay in the center figure skating ring. Except, many people, mostly kids, go in there and don't do anything but cut across. So i'll be doing back crossovers, and the kids cut right into your path, and i can't always see them because a) i'm going backwards and b) they're short. i don't even mind if a hockey skater is in there working on some skating techniques, like turning quickly and crossovers and stuff. Usually, they're very respectful. but the kids, they just assume nobody is going to hit them. and the skate guards at the rink are horrible about enforcing the rules. And i mean horrible. I've complained to them numerous times, but they don't seem to understand that if i land on top of a little kid, they're the ones getting squashed.

Even worse, if i'm doing a spiral. especially back spirals. I can't see when i do a back spiral, and i was in the figure skating ring, and a kid came within almost an inch of my blade. i would've kept going, but the hockey player in the ring yelled out to me, and i turned sharply to avoid hitting the kid going in a straight line through the ring.

even if the parents told the kids the rules before, i think it might make a huge difference. I sometimes take a 9 year old and a 7 year old skating, and i've been taking the 9 year old since she was 6, and i always tell them to go in the same direction, avoid the center cones unless they want to do something with figure skating, and do not weave in and out of people, especially close to the boards. and they don't do it. they follow the rules, and in the 3 years since i've been taking the 9 year old, and recently the 7 yeer old, i've only had one accident with them. the 7 year old fell and cut his finger. thankfully, there hasn't been any near misses either. they know if htey see someone working on a move to stay out of there way, especially in the center ring, even if htey're in there too.

sorry this is so long, just ranting and raving right now.

mikawendy
12-11-2004, 09:25 PM
sue123, I have to agree with you about the scary little kids and the ice guards who do nothing to keep order on the ice. (However, I have also seen GREAT ice guards in some rinks--but far too few of them in proportion to how many are needed elsewhere.)

....BUT, even in a coned off area, if it's a busy public session, it's not the time to be doing back spirals (or camel spins or lutzes). Yes, the little kids and other public skaters should follow the flow of skating and not cut you off, but at the same time, freestylers can't be doing everything they would do on a freestyle session. Some rinks even have rules against doing certain elements in public sessions because of the safety factor.

I'm sorry to sound as if I'm lecturing. I don't mean to, but just wanted to say that in a public session we skaters who do freestyle elements also have a responsibility to skate responsibly.

backspin
12-11-2004, 09:28 PM
8O You should NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER do back spirals (or camel spins, for that matter) on a public session!!!!! 8O For that very reason--no way to see, & the totally oblivious kids!! We aren't even allowed to do them on a freestyle sessions (the spirals, not the camels) unless we're on a lesson so a coach can be keeping an eye out--it's too dangerous!

That said, I share your pain, totally clueless kids who don't watch where they're going at all. I try to remind myself that they've paid to be out there too--and I'm really the odd one out, not them. Most people on a public session are there to skate round and round the rink, & don't understand there's more to it!

Chico
12-11-2004, 09:51 PM
I know one thing that is worse..... Little kids running amuck on freestyle sessions. =-0 I try to have a good additude about things at the rink, but this drives me to insanity. The worst is the coach of these kiddlies who skates around with blinders. Hello, your students are likely to get killed here! And, if not them, someone else. This is one thing on my poop list for sure. I don't want to hurt anyone and I want to go home to my family.

Chico

Chico
12-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Oh man.....attitude not additude! Geesh......I've been shopping all day and my brain is muck!

Chico

Blosmbubbs
12-11-2004, 10:52 PM
Well I agree with Sue123. We pay way more for our lessons and ice time etc. than those outside skaters do, so we should at least get the middle of the ice to practice. At my old rink they used to say over the loudspeaker " The center of the ice is for figure skating only" Most of the time it was good, no one would go through the middle. The ice guards were horrible, but nice kids. Some of the younger figure skaters don't even know where to set up their jumps or do their spins and the parents and coach don't care. I would go into a jump down the center towards the end of the ice and some little princess would be spinning there. I would go the same path several times and she would still be there when she could go in the middle and do the damn spin. One of these days they are gonna be hurt and then maybe the ones responsible for them will start to realize.

luna_skater
12-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Well I agree with Sue123. We pay way more for our lessons and ice time etc. than those outside skaters do, so we should at least get the middle of the ice to practice.

I disagree with that logic. We pay more for our lessons and ice time because we are getting the luxury of private coaching on ice that is strictly for figure skating and has a maximum capacity. We pay practically nothing for public ice because it is a session that is expected to be packed with people who know how to skate forwards and that's it. I've never personally been to a rink that allows figure skating at all on public ice. I work under the assumption that if I want to practice my figure skating, I go to figure skating ice, not public.

Andie
12-11-2004, 11:07 PM
I have encountered small children like that in rinks before. I've also encountered older children and teens that I really have had to look out for, during rowdy public sessions - some of them are just there to goof off and seem to be oblivous to anyone else.

I often do low-level figure skating moves on public ice, because the sessions are not very crowded. I currently have a lesson during public ice time, too.

My main, primary rink has a rule that you aren't supposed to do certain moves like forward or back spirals, camel spins or flying spins on public sessions. You also aren't supposed to do some of those things unless it's uncrowded or you're with your coach on a Freestyle session. When it's less crowded, I will do a brief forward or back spiral away from anyone else, which my coach has said is okay. But I won't do it if there are many more skaters or skaters too close to me.

On at least two occasions recently at my primary rink, there was a man in his THIRTIES or FORTIES wearing figure skates and doing fast-moving back spirals. On an uncrowded public session, without really looking where he was going. My coach was there and commented to me that he shouldn't be doing that, but I don't know if anyone told the man about it.

pennybeagle
12-11-2004, 11:57 PM
My rink (as far as I know) does not have any "no figure skating" rule for its public session. This is a blessing an a curse...on the plus side, no one prevents me from doing any freestyling when the session is empty (when it's not the winter or summer, during the weekday noon skate sessions). On the other hand, I've witnessed some very scary moments.

I've had experiences when I was working on sit spins or upright spins in the center circle when a child (usually between the ages of 5-10) will actually come towards me mid-spin. I will see him/her out of the corner of my eye and think that I have to get out of this spin without hitting this kid, and I don't know if the kid can stop. That always scares the cr*p out of me. Usually, the child just thought the spin was cool and wanted to see it up close, but doesn't understand that standing two feet away from me in mid-spin is not very safe. When that happens once, I will stop spinning altogether on that session and work on things that don't look cool to the uninitiated (like brackets and double three turns).

I've also seen teenagers (16+ year old boys) skating around with the little chair-things meant for toddlers to push around so they don't fall. Oh, and I love it when they decide that it's a good idea to throw the chair across the ice at their friend who's on the other end of the rink. And when they decide that they're no longer interested in the game and leave the chairs out in the middle of the ice for someone else to clean up. :evil:

I've also seen kids on the ice bouncing rubber balls that they got out of a 25-cent vending machine in the lobby. (...because pucks aren't allowed, so rubber balls must be...) 8O

Then there are the folks who skate while talking on their cell phones. And who don't empty out their pockets full of change before skating (last week I was skating on a freestyle sesson that followed a public and found that there was a quarter and a nickel lodged about a millimeter under the ice surface...had to call someone to dig those coins up before someone tried to spin/jump in that spot and ruin their blades).

Then there are kids who like to slide around on the ice and will fall/slide on purpose, regardless of whether there is a clearing or not. I saw a kid take out a woman in her 50s last year (at a different rink, not the one I currently skate at), and she hit her head on the ice and they had to call the paramedics. Another rink I used to skate at put up cones around the center circle to designate the "figure skating" area. Well, the "sliding kids" at that rink like to play something akin to cone bowling...you know, skate towards the cone, and then slide on your butt/stomach and see how many cones you can knock over. (Or how many figure skaters you can knock over)

I agree with the above poster about skate guards not really "guarding" anything--I know there must be some great skate guards out there, but I haven't met any yet. All I can say is, if the skate guard is doing camel spins, she's not watching the session. Or, if he's sitting on the railing talking to his friends, he's not watching the session.

TashaKat
12-12-2004, 12:19 AM
Something worse than little kids who think that they're Wayne Gretzky?

Adult/teenage males that think that they're Wayne Gretzky! I'm NOT talking about hockey players here, I'm talking about the ones that charge around irrespective of what anyone else is doing and then proceed to 'skid stop' into the barrier ... they can't do a proper hockey stop so do a pretend one with the barrier there to catch them. They also seem to be the same ones that go to the centre to do their 'tricks'.

Then, of course, there are the proud mummies and daddies who shove their kidlets into the centre of the ice because they think that it's safer there :roll: and, hey, there's all these nice people who will look after them :evil: I was once doing an upright spin in the centre of the ice and I saw this parent shoo her kid towards the middle. No, I thought, she won't come straight for me. Oh ****** I thought as she did just that. Poor kid nearly got beheaded as I tried to stop the spin without bashing her with my toepick. Stupid ***** mother!

Lmarletto
12-12-2004, 05:42 AM
IMO, the worst thing about public skating is guards who don't take their job seriously. And I think most of the time it's because they work for rink management that doesn't take skating safety seriously.

The most impressively managed public session I've ever been to was at the Northwest Rink in Baltimore. The center was marked off with cones and anyone cutting through was immediately and forcefully chastized. Speed demons weaving in and out of traffic got the same treatment. I'm sure it helped that the guards were all adults. My only complaint was that the whole session was skated in the CCW direction. :roll:

Terri C
12-12-2004, 06:22 AM
We're not allowed to do any freestyle on any of our public sessions here. Considering what everyone has posted, I wouldn't consider a public session at my rink for those reasons.

Figureskates
12-12-2004, 08:04 AM
You never have been on a session where I am a skate guard.

I run my sessions with an iron fist. There is no tag, racing around, snowball making, going in the wrong direction, cutting through the center where the figure skaters are, cellphone usage. I am also stealthy in a lot of the times I won't where my vest so the kids who think they are getting away with something are very surprised when they turn around and find me behind them.

Our rink use to be what a lot of you are describing. Four years ago me and another guard spent about a month and cleaned the place out. Trouble makers don't come around much anymore.

sue123
12-12-2004, 09:22 AM
my rink allows figure skating in the coned off area. and when i did the back spiral, it was pretty uncrowded since it was still early, i figured it was safe. guess i learned my lesson though.

but even still, it really annoys me with the people darting back and forth, and the skate guards just let it happen. drives me crazy.

Tessie
12-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Top 5 public pitfalls

5) Crates. A child asked me to push her on the crate while her parents (no skates) watched at the boards. The child was a perfect stranger to me as I was to the child. I certainly did not want the liabilty if something happened, (i.e. fell off the crate etc.) I told the child I was not her baby sitter. She of coursed looked surprised. I don't intend to mean to any child but I certainly don't want the responsibility

4) Birthday parties run amok. (my rink promotes b-day parties. There are often 3 going on at once)

3) Teenage boys and their dads playing tag with a hockey glove. (Something happens to the intelligence of some men when they put on skates)

2) The center ice is coned off, kids know they're not to skate through but they do, often trying to imitate a spiral or spin. They give a glaring look like they know they're getting away with something, especially after they have been told not to cut through.

1) Adults cutting through the center coned off area who are well aware that it is for figure skaters. I must admit that it is 99.99% men who do this. They too give a glaring look like they know they're getting away with something, especially after they have been told not to cut through.

ps I don't hate men, I am happily married. Just some observations.

mikawendy
12-12-2004, 12:27 PM
The most impressively managed public session I've ever been to was at the Northwest Rink in Baltimore. The center was marked off with cones and anyone cutting through was immediately and forcefully chastized. Speed demons weaving in and out of traffic got the same treatment. I'm sure it helped that the guards were all adults. My only complaint was that the whole session was skated in the CCW direction. :roll:

Lmarletto, that's the very same rink I was talking about when I said I've seen GREAT ice monitors! I've also seen them ask freestylers who are doing risky things in a public session to cool it (e.g., lutzes in the corners of the rink).

When I was a kid, I also saw good ice monitors at Fairfax Ice Arena.

At some other rinks, I've seen ice guards playing with HOCKEY PUCKS 8O on a public session, or eating pixie sticks (and dropping half of it on the ice) or throwing popcorn. Unfortunately usually the shift manager is nowhere to be found for complaints.

Edited to add that sometimes the guards at Northwest Ice Rink will switch the flow of traffic to CW about 10 minutes before an ice cut or for a long while at the start of a public session. All of the guards are very nice (and have very interesting stories about their personal skating and outside lives and families), and, if asked before the session, might be willing to switch the direction of traffic for a while.

fadedstardust
12-12-2004, 01:24 PM
So i'll be doing back crossovers, and the kids cut right into your path, and i can't always see them because a) i'm going backwards and b) they're short.

You should be able to see exactly where you're going and who you might hit if you're going to go backwards, otherwise you shouldn't. It's dangerous. I've skated in "open" freestyle sessions in the past and tried setting up triple loops and ended up going around about 20 times because a kid was in my way every single time, it's just going to happen. And you should be able to see them, no matter how short they are, that is YOUR responsiblity as the more proficient skater.

Even worse, if i'm doing a spiral. especially back spirals. I can't see when i do a back spiral, and i was in the figure skating ring, and a kid came within almost an inch of my blade. i would've kept going, but the hockey player in the ring yelled out to me, and i turned sharply to avoid hitting the kid going in a straight line through the ring.

I understand freestyle ice is expensive and sometimes hard to come by, but the rink is doing you a courtesy in letting you practice freestyle/Moves in the Field on their public sessions. Most rinks do not allow it, even in the center, because it IS dangerous. You shouldn't do something that could endanger anyone else, if you can't see when doing your back spirals then you shouldn't be doing them. It's public skating, not freestyle skating. A little kid going through the middle in an out-of-control fashion because they can't skate actually has priority over you- you should be on a freestyle sessions if you want to practice freely.

Hannahclear
12-12-2004, 02:09 PM
I definitely would say that the little anklebiters are the worst part of public sessions.

Luckily though, I mostly skate on public sessions that are pretty deserted, so I don't fear doing spirals or camel spins. I would stay away from those moves if I was at a busy weekend session though.

It's a pain to be an adult skater and have to rely on these sessions! I did for quite some time when I didn't have a car. My general advice if you have to skate busy sessions is to do lots of work on turns. They are very safe and lets face it, few people practice them enough. :lol: Scratch and back scratch are doable too.

Back 3 mohawk is a nice one to work on for bronzish adults.

sk8er1964
12-12-2004, 02:18 PM
I would hesitate to look at public sessions as anything other than useless ice, unless it's a session that you know for a fact is always sparsely attended or mainly adults, such as our local lunch time open skate.

It is foolish and dangerous, IMO just as foolish and dangerous as those little hockey kids darting in and out of traffic in the wrong direction, to do any kind of freestyle on a busy session, even if you are in the center of the ice. If you absolutely must do freestyle, assume that others will be in your way, all of the time, and they will not be paying attending to what you are doing. I think that if you hurt someone else while you are doing a freestyle element, then it is your fault, not theirs. It is not figure skating ice. People on open skating sessions do not understand the rules of figure skating, they do not understand what you are trying to do, and they do not care that they might be in your way. As the more knowledgeable skaters, it is our responsibility to make sure that we are not a danger to the uninitiated.

I understand that freestyle ice is more expensive - heck, I grumble about it during the summer months when our nice, inexpensive lunch time skate goes away. I spend way more money in the summer than I do in the winter, because I don't want to be on the ice with the hockey kids, and I don't want to lose my valuable training time on a session that may not be suitable for freestyle, so I end up on freestyle ice. However, these are the things we must take into consideration when we are skaters.

Hope I didn't offend - this is just my opinion, and I'm sure different areas have different local situations.

Edited to add that by "freestyle", I mean jumps, spins, and MIF patterns. I don't mean individual footwork elements such as three turns etc.

Hannahclear
12-12-2004, 02:22 PM
Well, at least at my rink, they do block off the center ice for figure skating, so I don't see anything foolish about doing freestyle in the appointed area even if its busy, but you have to watch what you do. I've done freestyle at busy sessions for years and I've never had an accident. However, I am glad that I don't have to do it anymore.

But I agree that weekday lunchtime sessions are best if you can go then, because there usually aren't more than 15 people on the ice.

vintagefreak
12-12-2004, 05:45 PM
What makes me upset about our rink the most is that they have few freestyle sessions available so lots of kids go to the publics on the weekends to have their private lessons. In general, there are usually at least 10 privates taking place at any given weekend public session. They go where they want, do what they want (camel spins, etc), many pros have their tape players with them and work on programs with the students. They don't stay in the middle, which is designated as freestyle (but how could they, considering how many lessons are going on) but skate all over the rink, any direction and don't know the meaning of getting out of someone's way. The lights are dimmed, visability is poor, music is loud. This could give a person nightmares thinking about what could happen.

I go to practice sometimes on weekends, but mostly work on endurance, stroking type of things at those crowded public sessions. I think it is wrong to have so many lessons taking place and for those people to expect the rules to be broken and not have any consideration for the general skating public. I think it is only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured at our rink and even though we have a posted disclaimer saying the rink takes no responsibility if you're injured, they actually could be held libel if they fail to hold up their end of the bargain. They have state safety codes they must follow and they would be in deep doo doo if they had to go to court and people testified that there were all these lessons going on, the guards were talking on their cell phones, the ice was badly in need of resurfacing, the lights were basically off and so on.

What is most alarming is that public sessions have statistically the most skater injuries-far more than hockey or f/s. Lots of the skaters are beginners and you combine them with the higher level people doing f/s, hockey players racing around, inattentive guards and oblivious parents and you have a nice, tastey recipe for disaster.

I've made suggestions with our management. They respond like you're nuts or get really defensive. They complain about how much it costs to run a public session, make you feel bad for complaining and threaten to cut public sessions because they aren't worth it. They claim the teaching pros are highly trained and "in control" of the lessons and won't allow their students to do anything potentially risky. BS! It's all BS and only a matter of time before they are faced with an extremely costly lawsuit and even more upsetting, a person with serious injuries. I shudder to think about what will happen to one of those little kids who barely know how to skate and are out there with no supervision, just waiting to get hit. I know of an incident at our rink where 2 senior level skaters were at a public session and doing camel spins, etc in the middle and a child was hit. I don't know if the kid was badly hurt or not but if anyone believes the management cares about this stuff, they are wrong because it continues session after session.

I see a shiny blade attached to a child's face. What does it take for these morons to wake up?

~AF

singerskates
12-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Once in a while I do some slumming and skate on public ice. If it's in Windsor, ON, you can only skate forwards fallowing the flow of traffic. No freeskating allowed at all. But if I skate in Tecumseh on their public ice, we're allowed to do as we wish. I still don't do spirals, camels or flying spins on the public ice though. It's just not safe for the non-figure skaters if I did do these on public sessions. As a mom and a responsible figure skater, I don't want to cause injury to little kids or any public skater on public ice. One, it's not right. Two, it's suppose to be public ice not my figure skating club ice. Three if I should cause injury to someone while doing a spiral, camel or flying spin, Tecumseh Arena would end up banning all freeskating moves just like Windsor. If I'm going to jump on public ice I either jump in the middle area or look for a huge opening and be ready to come to a halt on a dime if needed. I use the eyes behind my head to check for other skaters that may get in my way. I had to learn to be able to abort what ever move, spin or jump I'm doing on a dime while skating with reg. ellite junior competitive skaters who skate like the wind and come out of no where since I've been skating on the senior session during my club's ice. So stopping for public skaters who happen to get in the way of me is no big deal.

Mrs Redboots
12-13-2004, 06:58 AM
Last time I skated on a public session was in Scotland, and although it was half-term, it was over the lunch-hour so very quiet, and we got some useful work done. Most embarrassingly, though, the rink was part of a gymnasium complex and you could see people on the stationary bikes watching us - especially Husband and his other partner working on their Foxtrot.

quarkiki2
12-13-2004, 09:00 AM
We are very fortunate at our rink when it comes to figure skating on public ice. There are so very few freestyle sessions that us adult skaters can make... Our public sessions are generally not crowded -- at least the ones I attend. Actually, because our rink is in a mall next to a food court, I think they encourage figure skating because it's entertaining to the mall patrons. There are almost always lessons on public sessions because our club isn't tremendously competitive, so we don't have any (that I know of) homeschcooled competitive skaters that take lessons during the day.

Little ones are almost never a risk at our rink, especially if they're on the ice with their parents. Ths biggest problem I see at the rink are the teens who decide on a whim to skate in their shorts and waaaay short skirts and tank tops. Not that attire is the issue (althoug when the girls fall, you can see undies). They are the ones that don't heed directional flow and dash across the ice playing tag and having falling contests. They are big enough to knock you down and have no control over their speed or direction.

Everyone else is very courteous, though. I always watch very carefully and never practice anything that would put anyone else in danger unless I'm in a lesson and my coach can keep a better eye out for me. I'm also a chicken and tend to abort any move if there's someone in a three-foot radius of me, LOL!

nja
12-13-2004, 11:04 AM
I know one thing that is worse..... Little kids running amuck on freestyle sessions. =-0 I try to have a good additude about things at the rink, but this drives me to insanity. The worst is the coach of these kiddlies who skates around with blinders. Hello, your students are likely to get killed here! And, if not them, someone else. This is one thing on my poop list for sure. I don't want to hurt anyone and I want to go home to my family.

Chico

Chico, I feel your pain! I no longer skate on a couple of freestyle sessions at my rink because of 3 tots who are allowed, actually encouraged to use the session as their personal playground. At least one or two days a week they all three work with one coach and she encourages them to race each other around (usually screaming), which is very distracting to the other skaters. Occasionally one or more of the kids likes to go crawling around on the ice. They are too young (4 or 5 or maybe 6) and inexperienced to know to watch out for the other skaters (this is an open session with some skaters doing high freestyle and moves) and there have been numerous near misses. The skating director is fully aware as she is herself teaching on those sessions, but she apparently sees no problem with it. I know other skaters are bothered by it, but I don't think anyone has complained because most of the other skaters on those particular sessions share the same coach as the tots and they don't want to cause trouble. I am lucky enough that I could rearrange things, but it is annoying that skaters paying for the ice are having their time compromised.

flippet
12-13-2004, 03:30 PM
I would hesitate to look at public sessions as anything other than useless ice, unless it's a session that you know for a fact is always sparsely attended or mainly adults, such as our local lunch time open skate.
Exactly. I used to do a lunchtime skate, and I could get a lot of work done for cheap, but then it was usually less than 20 people, and it was in large part the same people every day, so the figure skaters got used to the hockey guys' patterns, and vice versa. But even then, I wouldn't do moves like spirals unless there was only about 5 people on the ice, and they were all at the other end. You should have seen me at the end of the sessions, though....people would start to clear off the ice, and I'd start gathering speed to whip off a few spirals on 'empty' ice before I had to clear off, too!

But a normal public session, like an evening or weekend session? Fuhgeddaboutit. Those are so nuts that I'd maybe try a scratch spin or two, or a few 3-turns, but usually I'd just give up, due to the kids and oblivious or bratty teens and adults. Those sessions were strictly for breaking in new skates, and/or chatting with friends before going out for coffee.

doubletoe
12-13-2004, 03:34 PM
I agree with everyone who has said the public ice is for "the public" and not for us figure skaters. I think we need to have very low expectations and remember that the clueless people in rental skates who aren't looking where they are going have the right to be clueless. Meanwhile, as the more coordinated skaters, we have the obligation to stay out of their way, since they don't have the awareness or ability to stay out of ours.

We shouldn't do anything that we don't have complete control over or that limits our ability to see 360-degrees around us at all times. Back spirals are completely out, and lutzes should be avoided unless the rink is fairly open and we can do them from an entrance that shortens that blind takeoff edge to a second or two.

Meanwhile, I wish skate guards would all be as conscientious as the one who posted here, but that will happen when hell freezes over. . . in which case I'll just go skate there and avoid the public session entirely. . .

Figureskates
12-13-2004, 03:50 PM
I am really sorry that all of you are having such bad experiences with public sessions.

We have 5 skate guards at my rink and I never thought of it until now but we are all figure skaters. I know in the past that we use to have a lot of hockey players who did the task and things were no where as organized as they are now. Maybe because we have a "figure skater" bias that a lot of the activity you folks describe happens at your rink, doesn't occur here. We have a lot of young figure skaters in these sessions, including my niece sometimes, and I know what could happen if things "got out of hand".

Another thing we seem to have here is a rink director who won't put up with any kind of crap. He has told me many times, any rough housing after a warning, throw them off the ice.

Tessie
12-13-2004, 08:14 PM
I agree with everyone who has said the public ice is for "the public" and not for us figure skaters. I think we need to have very low expectations and remember that the clueless people in rental skates who aren't looking where they are going have the right to be clueless. Meanwhile, as the more coordinated skaters, we have the obligation to stay out of their way, since they don't have the awareness or ability to stay out of ours.

We shouldn't do anything that we don't have complete control over or that limits our ability to see 360-degrees around us at all times. Back spirals are completely out, and lutzes should be avoided unless the rink is fairly open and we can do them from an entrance that shortens that blind takeoff edge to a second or two.

Meanwhile, I wish skate guards would all be as conscientious as the one who posted here, but that will happen when hell freezes over. . . in which case I'll just go skate there and avoid the public session entirely. . .

Well said. As in skiing, it is up to the stronger skier to watch out for those in slopes for which they are not ready.

I enjoy public sessions and recognize that if I can get in a jump or two it's bonus. Edges always need work. If you notice at the pulic sessions the ice between the two hockey circles has a tendency to get less beat up and remains a good place to practice forward edges and mohawk sequences.

Shinn-Reika
12-14-2004, 12:43 AM
real public sessions are hell, our college rink once hosted an event where they gave out free rentals and free admission.

There must have been 200+ people on at one time!. There was no room to move , and the ice was covered in an inch thick layer of snow. It felt as though I was skating on sandpaper.

What's worse was that there were 3 injuries. College student began to act crazy, and they had to cart them off in an ambulence, complete with neck braces.

I'm glad I have the free midday sessions to go to. Very few people there, virgin ice, close to perfection.

Kristin
12-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Hey singerskates,

You are doing flying spins already? That's pretty cool. You'll have to show me next time I come over to skate in Windsor!!!

Kristin

jazzpants
12-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Well, I'm thankful that my Monday night sessions are relatively sane! That ice guard is really good! But even with that, there are a LOT of skaters, so not much I could really do.

My weekend paradise rink has become a zoo (Christmas season skaters) and I have bought freestyle passes for the earlier Sat. morning session b/c of it. Whether I will use it will depend on how lazy I am and how late I end up staying up. But I intend on going there this Sat. morning! The public session has become a zoo and I am just sick of it!!! :evil:

Minor pet peeve: Hearing all sorts of "Jiggle Bell..." I'll bet it's "jiggling" at the cash register this year. :P (I say minor b/c it's annoying, but it's for the good of the rink business.)

My lesson days (morning FS session but just after the kids leaves to go off to school) has actually become quite quiet and tame!!! Happy, happy, JOY, JOY!!! :mrgreen:

Chico
12-14-2004, 09:24 PM
nja,

We could be at the same rink..... Yep, drives everyone nuts. Unlike you, I need these sessions to skate. Saying that, it has crossed my mind to skate somewhere else. I have no desire to hurt anyone or myself....

Chico

flippet
12-15-2004, 02:07 PM

The real problem is that there seems to be no place for beginning figure skaters to get their sea legs, so to speak. They're a danger to others in either freestyle sessions, or public sessions. Either they run the risk of getting creamed because they're always standing in the wrong place on a freestyle (it never fails), or they can't even work on 3-turns on a public for tripping over kids, or having teens buzz them. (I was once a beginning adult too...and I'm just glad I had the lunchtime sessions to learn on. Most beginners don't have that option.) More rinks should have 'beginners only' sessions, but I'm sure they don't because it's likely not all that profitable. Some do have these sessions before or after their group lesson sessions, but it should be more widespread. It just stinks that so many learners get frustrated and give up the sport entirely, when they might be inclined to stay, with a little more support.

Chico
12-15-2004, 10:56 PM
I agree that multi sessions for freestyle would be nice. However, I'm happy skating with newbies and little ones. I just want these folks to learn how the "rink" flows a little. I'm as bad as anyone on having my occasional "whoops", but laying on the ice, skating into folks when they spin and such could be explained as a "No.". Most children and adults do fine, I'm thinking of those few.... Well, you know what I mean. And those few seem to upset the many. I just wish their coach or someone would point out these "No's." I don't skate on public sessions to avoid these issues. And yes, I was a newbie too once, and I appreciate the need to start somewhere.

Chico

AshBugg44
12-16-2004, 02:46 AM
Beings that I'm a skateguard, I could go on forever about the horrors of a public session - especially busy ones!

First of all, Sue, I'm surprised that you're allowed to do back spirals on your public sessions. We don't allow back spirals or camel spins on our publics. Using our own judgement, we sometimes don't allow jumps if it's just too horrible, which can happen. That's what I get for skating in a mall - the rink becomes a babysitting service. ;)

My list of bad things about public sessions:

- People who continue to do something after you TELL THEM NOT TO! Gah. I get so irritated when people start doing this - screw saying please!!
- People who don't realize that everyone is skating in the same direction for a REASON, and decide to go the other way.
- Snotty figure skaters that you have to tell EVERY SESSION not to do camels (well, I'm thinking of one in particular ;))
- People who snap at me "CAN YOU SAY PLEASE???" even though I tell them nicely, just with no please. Big freakin deal.
- People who sit on the boards. We have benches for a reason!
- People who put their babies on the ice. Also people who jump on the ice.
- People who throw stuff on the ice (course, this isn't limited to public sessions!)

icedancer2
12-16-2004, 10:46 AM
- People who throw stuff on the ice (course, this isn't limited to public sessions!)

I occassionally skate at the same mall rink where Ashbugg works. The rink sits right under the food court and believe me, there is nothing weirder than having french fries (complete with ketchup) bombarding your head while you are trying to enjoy a social dance session!!

AshBugg44
12-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Awww yes, or how about the live goldfish we once got during competition? That one was different! lol

icedancer2
12-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Awww yes, or how about the live goldfish we once got during competition? That one was different! lol

Ewwwww! :lol: :frus: :roll: 8O

nja
12-16-2004, 05:51 PM

Poor goldfish! That's plain sick! I had a competition in a mall rink once and we found cigarette butts on the ice, but live fish beats that!

Lmarletto
12-16-2004, 09:31 PM
The real problem is that there seems to be no place for beginning figure skaters to get their sea legs, so to speak. .... It just stinks that so many learners get frustrated and give up the sport entirely, when they might be inclined to stay, with a little more support.

This is what I especially liked about the public sessions at the Northwest rink in Baltimore. In addition to the center circle, someone had hand drawn two more large circles on either side of the center circle. Then cones marked off the whole huge center area. People who were there for casual skating around in circles had plenty of room around the outside for that and a dozen little figure skaters practiced basic skills and lower level spins and moves. I don't know what the figure skating program is like there, but someone understands what sort of practice space beginning skaters need. Unfortunately we rarely visit Baltimore any more.

One rink much closer to us has quite a few low level freestyle sessions that are dominated by FS1,2,3 level kids. It's a lot more expensive than public sessions though.

The nearby training center has very little for beginning figure skaters and a crummy LTS program as well. It kind of surprised me. I don't think figure skating as a sport is very good at marketing itself to potential participants. They could stand to take a few lessons from Major League Soccer.

flo
12-17-2004, 09:50 AM
Lmaretto,
If you're in the Baltimore area, you may want to check out the Ice Club of Baltimore at NW. Club sessions run from 10 - 12:30 (with extra ice available for edges and moves at 9:30). There are brief group lessons, dance lessons, and lots of time to practice. All levels are welcome. You can also try it out as a guest for $10 for a couple of sessions before you join.

There's also a low freestyle session at Ice World.

flippet
12-17-2004, 01:22 PM
In addition to the center circle, someone had hand drawn two more large circles on either side of the center circle. Then cones marked off the whole huge center area. ...someone understands what sort of practice space beginning skaters need.
I've seen that at a rink or two as well--it's great, IF it's policed well, and that can be hit-or-miss. And it still only works at relatively non-crowded sessions.

One rink much closer to us has quite a few low level freestyle sessions that are dominated by FS1,2,3 level kids.
This is great...but even kids at FS1 can be intimidating for the beginning adult who just needs some space (and mental space as well!) to practice their swizzles and one-foot glides.

What I used to do (only at rinks where I was well-known, and figure-skating was not frowned upon) was, when I saw a shaky, nervous adult newbie, I'd give them their space within the center circle, and then sort of 'run interference' for them by practicing my waltz jumps or spins in the area where those extra half-circles would be. I'd be somewhat agressive and 'large' about it, to help keep 'the masses' outside that marked area.

I don't think figure skating as a sport is very good at marketing itself to potential participants. They could stand to take a few lessons from Major League Soccer.
I agree. It really bugs me that 1) skating and lessons seem to be so 'hush-hush'--you've got to know what you're looking for to find them--if it doesn't occur to you, you're unlikely to see some big advertisement in the stores or at the schools, or anything. And 2), once you do have people coming in, rinks and programs seem so unprepared! It's like they'd rather have a crappy or poorly-advertised program, so it keeps the hordes away, and they don't have to do any well-organized work. It's crazy.

Alexa
12-17-2004, 01:28 PM
It just stinks that so many learners get frustrated and give up the sport entirely, when they might be inclined to stay, with a little more support.

I completely agree. A few years ago I started to take lessons, but ended up quitting after a few sessions because there were no opportunities to practice. Public sessions were too full and chaotic that I didn't even enjoy skating, and though the daytime sessions are quieter, they are hard to go to when you work during the day.

So, I liked skating, but without being able to practice between lessons there was really no point.

iskatealot
12-20-2004, 10:46 AM
I cant even beleive that you guys are allowed to figure skate during public skating. We cant even think about it . THere is no such thing at my rink as the center being only for figure skating. If u want to figure skate then you skate at a skating session not public ice time. Ya the little hockey players are annoying at public ice time but then again so are the people clutching the boards and all the hockey dads playin tag with their kids. BUt seriously the ice cant be that good at public sessions anyways. If you want to get in some good practice time go to a figure skating session. my rink has time everyday and we are a really small club so it really cant be that hard to get ice time.

CaraSkates
12-20-2004, 10:53 AM
I cant even beleive that you guys are allowed to figure skate during public skating. We cant even think about it . THere is no such thing at my rink as the center being only for figure skating. If u want to figure skate then you skate at a skating session not public ice time. Ya the little hockey players are annoying at public ice time but then again so are the people clutching the boards and all the hockey dads playin tag with their kids. BUt seriously the ice cant be that good at public sessions anyways. If you want to get in some good practice time go to a figure skating session. my rink has time everyday and we are a really small club so it really cant be that hard to get ice time.

My rink has no freestyle sessions. We have only two coaches at the moment, and we have three public sessions (all over the weekend). My coach has extra time for her homeschooled skaters, but only because she can get ice time then. Therefore, I am mostly forced to practice on public ice. I've discovered that most people get on late and get off early so those are the best times to practice during public sessions. We aren't allowed to do camel spins (unless you're in a lesson) and spirals only if the ice is empty and with a spotter.

fadedstardust
12-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Well, I don't know how plausible it is for you, but a lot of people drive out to another rink in those cases. For about two years, I drove 3 hours EACH WAY to a skating rink to get adequate training time. Then I moved, thank God. But still, if you're dedicated, you find a better way. If you're not able to do anything like that, then it's very annoying to have crappy ice all the time, but...it's better than no ice at all.

iskatealot
12-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Well, I don't know how plausible it is for you, but a lot of people drive out to another rink in those cases. For about two years, I drove 3 hours EACH WAY to a skating rink to get adequate training time. Then I moved, thank God. But still, if you're dedicated, you find a better way. If you're not able to do anything like that, then it's very annoying to have crappy ice all the time, but...it's better than no ice at all.

Ya, my rink isnt open in from April to September so all summer I drive to a rink about an hour away to get practice time. Also helps for getting new skates

Hydroblade
12-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Well public ice is for SKATING end of story. No one that is experienced should be doing anything dangerous that could hurt someone else. I would say to go to the early morning skates becuase there always empty or go to ticket ice where people know what there doing and will watch out for you.

If you are going to do anything i would say limit it to anything forwards and very tight spaced. Mabey a sitspin or a one foot spin......or a lay back..anythiong that isn't deadly.

Blosmbubbs
12-22-2004, 11:53 PM
Well some people have to skate whenever they can even if they are advanced. A lot of people have to go to work or school at certain hours and can't get to the rink in the early hours. My rink hardly has any afternoon or evening freestyle so thats out for me and the prices are like 13.00 an hour. Our club ice is 20.00 hour for walk on! 8O

Hannahclear
12-23-2004, 03:02 PM
I do agree that many skaters don't have the luxury of choice. It's public or nothing for many of us.

I'm not terribly advanced, but I don't see the harm in spirals and MITF, as long as you are careful and have good control. I've never even had a close call. Of course, my moves are pre bronze and bronze, but those 3 turns on Adult Silver don't look too scary.

nja
12-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Some MIFs might work, depending on the crowd and what is being worked on. If is crowded, you probably won't be able to do the patterns properly or with speed, which may not make your practice effective. As for spirals or camel spins on public skate, absolutely not, unless you are the only one on the ice. Keep in mind that you may be watching where you are going, but other skaters may not be. I saw a tot doing backward swizzles nearly barrel into another skater doing a forward spiral not that long ago. She was coming from behind the person doing the spiral, so the other skater didn't know what almost happened. The blade on the spiraler's extended leg was about as high as the center of the back of the tot's head. Fortunately someone pulled the tot away before impact. This incident was at a freestyle session where the skaters are used to freestyle moves being performed and (usually) know what to watch out for. You can't count on that at public skating.

Hannahclear
12-23-2004, 07:45 PM
As for spirals or camel spins on public skate, absolutely not, unless you are the only one on the ice.

Good gawd, I don't know where you skate, but on all the rinks around me, camel spins are spirals are quite common on public ice and are allowed. Not when it's crowded of course, but when there are a couple dozen people on the ice it's quite workable. Most rinks are somewhat large. ;)

I've never seen anything resembling a major incident as a result of these moves. The trick is to make sure there's no one in your vicinity when you go into your move. Most of the ankle biters aren't all that fast.

:P

Overall, the only way to prevent ALL accidents is to not skate at all. There's really no need to avoid any particular move on public ice, unless it's a triple jump or something insane like that.

twokidsskatemom
12-23-2004, 09:02 PM
Good gawd, I don't know where you skate, but on all the rinks around me, camel spins are spirals are quite common on public ice and are allowed. Not when it's crowded of course, but when there are a couple dozen people on the ice it's quite workable. Most rinks are somewhat large.

I've never seen anything resembling a major incident as a result of these moves. The trick is to make sure there's no one in your vicinity when you go into your move. Most of the ankle biters aren't all that fast.

Overall, the only way to prevent ALL accidents is to not

Im glad you have never seen a bad accident. I have, and it was not pretty.
Im not sure what you mean by ankle biters... but my ankle bites skater knows not to do spirals ect on any public ice unless its all figure skaters.That is why we pay more for fs ice.We have three rinks and not one is allowed to do fancy skating unless its empty .Public skating is really for people who skate for fun, excercise to learn, not to do figure skating tricks.It is dangerous.

sk8er1964
12-23-2004, 09:44 PM
Im glad you have never seen a bad accident. I have, and it was not pretty.
Im not sure what you mean by ankle biters... but my ankle bites skater knows not to do spirals ect on any public ice unless its all figure skaters.That is why we pay more for fs ice.We have three rinks and not one is allowed to do fancy skating unless its empty .Public skating is really for people who skate for fun, excercise to learn, not to do figure skating tricks.It is dangerous.

I'm with you, twokidsskatemom. The only way to prevent accidents is to first be safe, no matter what, and second to skate properly for the ice you are on. Saving that $6 on freestyle isn't worth a gouge in the forehead of some kid.

Blosmbubbs
12-24-2004, 02:10 AM
Who in their right mind let's tots skate on freestyle ice? That is very obsured and stupid. At my rink they let any level on freestyle but I haven't seen any tots on there. I usually skate public if it's not jam packed. On the weekends that is when it's the worst. I don't usually do spirals unless there is no one there. I can do camels though and it's usually empty. One time I was going into a back scratch spin and a little tot came very close to me and I almost hit her. The problem there is she was not looking out and probably looking at her mom at the boards. As the rink says it's skate at your own risk!

twokidsskatemom
12-24-2004, 02:17 AM
Who in their right mind let's tots skate on freestyle ice? That is very obsured and stupid. At my rink they let any level on freestyle but I haven't seen any tots on there. I usually skate public if it's not jam packed. On the weekends that is when it's the worst. I don't usually do spirals unless there is no one there. I can do camels though and it's usually empty. One time I was going into a back scratch spin and a little tot came very close to me and I almost hit her. The problem there is she was not looking out and probably looking at her mom at the boards. As the rink says it's skate at your own risk!

I dont think anyone here said let a tot who doesnt skate skate on fs ice.Your example is why you shouldnt do tricks on public ice. people of any age who dont know how to skate well use that ice, that is why its called public ice.The tot didnt know to look, you as a higher level skater should know.
Public ice for people who skate, not for fs who want to work on tricks, unless its empty.

Hannahclear
12-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Public ice is for any member of the public who would like to skate, regardless of skill.

I don't do camels or spirals on crowded sessions, but it's a bit OTT IMO to say that you can't do spirals unless you are isolated completely. Doing spirals or camels is perfectly safe on a lightly attended public session.

I wish I lived near a facility with three rinks, but I don't.

fadedstardust
12-24-2004, 11:47 PM

No, the problem was that YOU, the better skater, were not looking out. She's a little kid, on PUBLIC ice, she's allowed to look at her mom or not look at anything at all without getting whacked in the face by someone who should be on ice designated for what they are doing. You can enjoy the perks of cheaper and more readily available ice, but the downside is you can't do everything, and you can do less of it, and you have to be twice as careful as you would be with other freestylers who CAN watch out for themselves, and if it means stopping a spin/jump 100 times, that's what it means, that's what you get for cheaper ice. If you had hit her, it would have been your fault, and I can bet you ANYTHING that the rink would have forbidden any form of figure skating on public ice after the accident. That's usually how rinks start to make the "no freestyle" rule, something bad has to happen first.

twokidsskatemom
12-25-2004, 12:37 AM
Public ice is for any member of the public who would like to skate, regardless of skill.

I don't do camels or spirals on crowded sessions, but it's a bit OTT IMO to say that you can't do spirals unless you are isolated completely. Doing spirals or camels is perfectly safe on a lightly attended public session.

I wish I lived near a facility with three rinks, but I don't.

Yes, its for any skill level but Its pretty much for people who dont do jumps ect. That is why you pay more for fs ice.I havent heard of a rink that you can do spirals unless its pretty much people who really know how to skate. At some rinks to cant even skate backwards if there are people on the ice.
How would you feel is you were on public ice and caused something to happen, as people who dont skate dont know enough to watch out for a higer level skaters.
Im still not sure what you mean about ankle biters... you think kids cant skate fast? :roll:

twokidsskatemom
12-25-2004, 12:43 AM
We have three rinks, one that used just for the college hockey team, one that is run by the city, and used by all our high school hockey and our jr hockey team; and a private rink. That is all we have within 400 miles.I dont see that as lucky. Fs here is at 6 to 8am and one 45 minute afternoon session, during hockey season.Hockey pays the bills for our private rink so that least we get ice time after their season is over.

flippet
12-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Im still not sure what you mean about ankle biters...
'Ankle biters' is a general term for children, toddlers especially. Kind of like 'rugrats'. Just slang, that's all.

twokidsskatemom
12-25-2004, 05:26 PM
'Ankle biters' is a general term for children, toddlers especially. Kind of like 'rugrats'. Just slang, that's all.

I know what she meant..... :roll:
:roll: :roll:

Dont like the term that is all.

Hannahclear
12-25-2004, 05:53 PM
I know what she meant..... :roll:
:roll: :roll:

Dont like the term that is all.

It was a joke. Perhaps you could lighten up, just a little? :P

My dad has been saying that for years!

I agree with fadedstardust that it is the responsibility of the better skater to watch out for less experienced skaters. I always would stop if I was in anyone's way, not wait for them to stop. You take that with the public ice of course.

How would you feel is you were on public ice and caused something to happen, as people who dont skate dont know enough to watch out for a higer level skaters.

I am not going to cause an accident at a skating session. I have been skating for years and am quite careful and able to control what I am doing.

twokidsskatemom
12-25-2004, 06:18 PM
Do you really truly think you will never cause an accident?People of all levels , including eliete skaters, have run into each other.Things happen.What about Salt lake and the pairs skaters?

Glad you have more control than others.Im sure you are great skater.And if you had kids, you might not think ankle biters was funny. :giveup: :giveup:

Hannahclear
12-25-2004, 08:50 PM
I do not think accidents are unavoidable. What I mean to say is that I am not reckless and I abide by the norms of the skating sessions that I attend, during which it is not unusual to see spirals on lightly attended public ice.

I didn't say I was a great skater (I wish!), but I do know enough to leave lots of room when I practice an element. I also agree with the previous poster that if you see someone even in your radius, it's better to just abandon the move and prepare again.

My dad had children (including me obviously) and called me a little ankle biter, so I guess I will do the same when I do have children. Really though -- whatever, Merry Christmas and I hope you wake up tomorrow in a better mood. :P

twokidsskatemom
12-25-2004, 09:29 PM
I do not think accidents are unavoidable. What I mean to say is that I am not reckless and I abide by the norms of the skating sessions that I attend, during which it is not unusual to see spirals on lightly attended public ice.

I didn't say I was a great skater (I wish!), but I do know enough to leave lots of room when I practice an element. I also agree with the previous poster that if you see someone even in your radius, it's better to just abandon the move and prepare again.

My dad had children (including me obviously) and called me a little ankle biter, so I guess I will do the same when I do have children. Really though -- whatever, Merry Christmas and I hope you wake up tomorrow in a better mood. :P

Im in a great mood now. You make a point of saying how you did camels and spirals on public ice and you were told at MOST rinks that isnt allowed. If it is at your that is great.
I dont think ankle biters is funny, I think its degratory. If you dont and choose to call your kids that, more power to you.I dont think its funny.
If i made a comment about bratty 24 year olds, and said my dad called me that, would that be funny ? If I made a remark about adult skaters you might not think it was funny either.
You made the statement how anklebiters arent fast... I have two and they are fast enough. :) :) :) They know to watch for people who dont know how to skate, no matter what the age.
Still comes down to at MOST rinks, you can either do things in the middle or not at all. Unless you have empy ice, which we do have most days.But I know how lucky we are.

twokidsskatemom
12-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Good gawd, I don't know where you skate, but on all the rinks around me, camel spins are spirals are quite common on public ice and are allowed. Not when it's crowded of course, but when there are a couple dozen people on the ice it's quite workable. Most rinks are somewhat large. ;)

:P

Overall, the only way to prevent ALL accidents is to not skate at all. There's really no need to avoid any particular move on public ice, unless it's a triple jump or something insane like that.

What you said was a public session,with a couple of dozen people, that sprials and camels are ok.
You also said you would never cause an accident, cause you have been skating for years. That has nothing to do with it.Things happen. Im at the rink 6 days a week, lots of things happen over time.
I hope you have a great night too !!

jp1andOnly
12-25-2004, 09:46 PM
I dont think ankle biters is funny, I think its degratory. If you dont and choose to call your kids that, more power to you.I dont think its funny.
If i made a comment about bratty 24 year olds, and said my dad called me that, would that be funny ? If I made a remark about adult skaters you might not think it was funny either.
You made the statement how anklebiters arent fast... I have two and they are fast enough. :) :) :) They know to watch for people who dont know how to skate, no matter what the age.
Still comes down to at MOST rinks, you can either do things in the middle or not at all. Unless you have empy ice, which we do have most days.But I know how lucky we are.

A bit off topic but I'm a teacher and I will call the kids I teach kidlets, ruggerrats, kiddies. Now, I'm talking my wee ones here in grade one and two. My older students I don't use silly names with them 'cause they would htink I was crazy

On topic.....most public ice I have been to in Canada doesn't allow freeskate on public skating sessions. Sometimes you will get the occasional skate guard who will say if you freeskate you can do some jumps and spins in the middle. Public ice is public ice...for everyone. And as a skater I have to remember that people often do not know how to skate, how to look out of the way, etc. It is not freeskate ice. if there was an accident chances are the arena or even myself would get sued.

For the general public they are not allowed to play rough games like crack the whip nor bring hockey equipment out unless it is a designated session.

For skaters on public ice: imagine 3-4 boys came out and borught all their hockey equipment out and started playing a game of shinny while you were out there with friendsjust stroking around. maybe with a young child. Chances arey ou would get frustrated. Thats how people feel when they can't enjoy themselves on a public session.

Carleenp
12-25-2004, 10:02 PM
I'll share a fairly good public skating experience I had recently. There is a State Park 30 miles from me with a semi-outdoor public rink where skating is $2 for all the time you want. I couldn't resist checking it out. The ice wasn't great, although they do have a zamboni and run it fairly often. The great thing is that because it is outside of a city it wasn't very crowded. I didn't try to work on much freestyle stuff since the kids were having fun zipping around and I didn't want to interfere or accidentally hit one. But I got a GREAT power stroking type workout. I figure that I can't do that much at expensive freestyle ice time because I need to focus on other things then and would also get in the way of lessons etc. But at this State Park rink, I can do power stroking and generally not worry. Sure, I have to dodge a kid now and again, but at the park rink that is not too difficult. So I plan to start going there at times for a good aerobic workout! I might have found a hidden gem in that park rink. Of course maybe I was just lucky and hit an unusually uncrowded day.

dbny
12-25-2004, 11:39 PM
I think the term "ankle biters" is kind of cute. I have two girls (both skaters at one time), now 18 and 21. I think the tone with which things are said is all important. We called our younger daughter a monkey all the time and she knew it was because she was very active, very agile, and we loved her. Lighten up, twokidsskatemom, from the context, it's clear that there was no offense intended. Ankle biters is quite a common term and I've never heard it said with rancor. If you have, that's very unfortunate, but it didn't happen here.

Public sessions vary from rink to rink and time to time. Crowded sessions are no place for camel or spirals, and sometimes not for jumps and spins either. The biggest menace, IMO is management who refuse to make rules, people who disregard the rules, and skate guards who do not enforce rules.

Blosmbubbs
12-26-2004, 03:02 AM
I have heard of ankle biters before too. It's just a term that's all, we don't go up to the kid and say " hey ankle biter get out of the way". Maybe if you skated twokidsskatemom maybe you'd understand. I think parents should go to the rink to watch their kids not coach them. That is what that mom I was telling you about does with her daughter. I don't the management would have done anything if we hit each other, I have seen many accidents there and still they do nothing.

twokidsskatemom
12-26-2004, 03:04 AM
I have heard of ankle biters before too. It's just a term that's all, we don't go up to the kid and say " hey ankle biter get out of the way". Maybe if you skated twokidsskatemom maybe you'd understand. I think parents should go to the rink to watch their kids not coach them. That is what that mom I was telling you about does with her daughter. I don't the management would have done anything if we hit each other, I have seen many accidents there and still they do nothing.

I do skate.And i dont coach them, they have a coach.

sue123
12-26-2004, 11:06 AM
I think the term "ankle biters" is kind of cute. I have two girls (both skaters at one time), now 18 and 21. I think the tone with which things are said is all important. We called our younger daughter a monkey all the time and she knew it was because she was very active, very agile, and we loved her. Lighten up, twokidsskatemom, from the context, it's clear that there was no offense intended. Ankle biters is quite a common term and I've never heard it said with rancor. If you have, that's very unfortunate, but it didn't happen here.

hey that's my nickname! my dad used to always, and still does call me monkey. Didn't mean anything bad, other than i was very active, i climbed a lot of trees (fell out of my fair share of them too) and copied my older sister in everything she did. Anklebiters is just a nickname. Just like how some people call their kids munchkin. Nothing mean is meant by it.

twokidsskatemom
12-26-2004, 12:18 PM
I dont see monkey and ankle biter as the same , and she didnt use the term monkey.
Its all good, np. :giveup: :giveup: :giveup:

sue123
12-26-2004, 02:35 PM
at the public session today, this little kid was going around wiht one of those walker things, swerving in and out of other people. when i asked one of the skate guards about it, he said "oh, it's ok, he;s with one of the guards". on the rules list, it clearly states walkers are not allowed to be used, along iwth no more than two people holding hands at once, and no waist holding. well, all this was going on. one family of 5 decided to make a chain of people, another party of 6 were all holding onto each other's waists. and where were the skate guards? by the entrance, flirting with the girls.

doubletoe
12-26-2004, 02:41 PM
at the public session today, this little kid was going around wiht one of those walker things, swerving in and out of other people. when i asked one of the skate guards about it, he said "oh, it's ok, he;s with one of the guards". on the rules list, it clearly states walkers are not allowed to be used, along iwth no more than two people holding hands at once, and no waist holding. well, all this was going on. one family of 5 decided to make a chain of people, another party of 6 were all holding onto each other's waists. and where were the skate guards? by the entrance, flirting with the girls.

That reminds me. . . Rule #1 of public session skating: NEVER skate on a public session during Christmas break! LOL!

twokidsskatemom
12-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Then I would say something to the management. That is as much a safety issue as figure skaters doing anything but moves and or stroking on a public session with alot of skaters.It is just a safety concern.

sue123
12-26-2004, 03:04 PM
That reminds me. . . Rule #1 of public session skating: NEVER skate on a public session during Christmas break! LOL!

yea, i should have remembered that. but i hadn't been anywhere near ice for over a week, and my feet were itching to get back into a pair of boots. although i did get a good hour of skating in, since the rink opens earlier during the break, and most people don't know that. instead of opening at 1:30, it opens at 1. so people usually show up around 2, half hour after it usually starts. so by 2, the ice was essentially unskatable with so many people. but from 1-2, it was bliss.

fadedstardust
12-26-2004, 04:34 PM
I like ankle-biters, I think it's cute, I'd never heard it before. I think it just means...little. You know? Ankle-level. I don't see anything discriminatory about that, little kids are supposed to be short.

dbny
12-26-2004, 04:52 PM
I just got back from a relatively crowded public session where I met Jazzpants, who is in NY visiting inlaws. We took turns watching out for each other, and she was able to do some very nice jumps and spins while I stood guard. She watched my back for my B cross strokes, but it was really too crowded to do more than three or four in a row. I expected the rink where we met to be even more crowded than it was. I used to take my daughter there for lessons on weekends before I skated. I now skate there on Friday afternoons, when there are usually no more than five or six of us on the ice and it's possible to practice moves.

sk8er1964
12-26-2004, 08:09 PM

We went to the rink today to get my son's new blade put on his hockey stick, and to get his skates sharpened. Public skating had just started. There were 3 people there. My son wanted to skate, but I didn't have my skates with me. I let him skate, and sat in the stands watching all that beautiful, empty ice out there :( It was so bad, I even (briefly) thought about renting hockey skates 8O .

AstarZ41
12-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Over here those are the best! The small rink closest to me has public skates every day during winter break and if you get there 11-1 the ice is practically empty.

singerskates
12-27-2004, 10:38 AM
Yeah, Windsor is a non-freeskater friendly zone on public ice. Yesterday, before I was hit with chills and fever from current kidney infection (didn't sleep last night because of it.), I skated on Forest Glade Arena's Public session. I went to the middle to do one spin. I did the right inside 3 method entry, started the spin and was in the fifth rotation when the skate guard came to me and told me that I couldn't do any figure skating on the session. With that, I was forced to just stroke around forward for the rest of the hour. I was so bored, I got off the ice an hour early. I actually made a point to the skate patrol, that I was bored and showed them my sloppy bored skating posture over and over. Then it hit me after I left. One of the skating guards was the daughter of a figure skating coach, I knew. Anyway, I felt that that public ice was just torture. I was very careful of how I skated because of all the non-skaters on the ice and little ones. I even stopped a few times to see if some of the skaters were alright when they fell. Most of the females on the ice were doing that non-skater method of stroking; pushing with the toe picks not using any edge of their blades at all. This is why the female skaters were going down. The male skaters went down because they had their heads too low to the ice and didn't know how to stop properly when they did their racing games. Both skate patrols are hockey players and they let those hockey want to be's do anything they wanted even playing tag and skating in the wrong direction cutting infront of people. What we figure skaters need is to apply to the parks and recs deptments as skate patrols. Then maybe we'll be allowed to do at least spins in the middle of the ice where most non-skaters don't venture anyway.

I love Tecumseh Arena's public ice as they let us figure skaters do what we want to do on the ice within reason as long as we yield to the non-skaters: no flying spins, camels and no spirals on crowded sessons.

Brigitte

slusher
12-27-2004, 12:08 PM
I'm like Carleenp. I kinda like "enforced" stroking and I usually skate the city Sunday afternoon public session, with the hockey hot rods, dads and tots. I get figure skating ice 4 or 5 times a week where I do dance and elements so I use public sessions as aerobic training. I don't jump or spin at all and instead try to keep stroking for the entire session 50min/flood/50min. The rink guard makes everyone skate in the other direction on the second hour so I get both ways, and the crowd thins out too. It is one heck of a work out. If the ice isn't too rutted I'll do leg pulls around. My coach is a great believer in being fit for skating, so I either have to run or do this. I'd rather skate publics than run :-)

Skating is ALL good. It's just what you do with it, and trying to do something that isn't suitable for a certain type of ice isn't worth the frustration.