View Full Version : There is Nothing Like Good Service - Klingbeils!

dbny
12-10-2004, 11:30 AM
I just got back from my Klingbeil appointment. I've been going nuts trying to figure out if my blades or boots were to blame for some of the problems I've been having. The first thing Bill did was re-measure my feet, including new tracings. This showed him that my feet had not changed since my boots were made in 2001. Next, I spoke with Don about my symptoms: feet sliding forward, problems with FO edges, and big bumps on the tops of my big toes. Don took my skates, and when they returned, they fit like gloves. The padding is soft and cushiony but firm. Don said he put a new kind of foam in the lining. I seem to have compressed the original padding. There was no charge!

I can't wait to skate in them. The weather here, and my extreme tiredness kept me from going to my usual Friday afternoon session, but I will be teaching later this afternoon.

skaternum
12-10-2004, 12:03 PM
I agree. I'll probably never skate in anything other than a Klingbeil. I have to fly there for fittings, etc., but it's worth it for a good fitting. I've also had excellent work done when I shipped my skates to them. They have a customer service ethic that's quite remarkable these days!

dbny
12-10-2004, 12:20 PM
They have a customer service ethic that's quite remarkable these days!

Exactly. I can't think of another business that matches them in that respect.

starskate6.0
12-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Im very happy to hear that someone is happy with there skates. :D
A bad fitting skate is a real problem for a lot of skaters and if the boot feels like part of you, you have found the answer .

Of course every foot is different and I too have stuggled for years with boots that have had one problem or another :roll:
I skated in Australian boots for years and then they went out of buisness long ago I tried many american,italian and other types of boots, I even have a custon pair of SP Teris in the closet I wore for about a month and there they sit. :cry: What a waist.
I have now found my happy place :D in a pair of Jacksons and for me they are great and fit like a glove. There so light it feels like I could do triples
( working on that ). But the boots are great.

Im very happy that you have found a boot that suits you and youu will be able to achieve so much more. Have fun .

The greatest risk in life is not taking one. :bow:

Mrs Redboots
12-11-2004, 05:29 AM
I don't think it's the boot so much, as the fitter that matters! Obviously the people at Klingbeil know exactly what they're doing, and how to help skaters - and that is a quality that is very rare, so cherish them! We have someone here who is like that, too, and we are very lucky to have him.

vesperholly
12-11-2004, 11:13 AM
I lurve my Klingbeils. I have had them for just over two years. I got the boots rebuilt and the tongues replaced this past April for $50 plus shipping, and they are fab. Will probably last me another year, upon which I will be getting another pair from Klingbeil. :bow:

bridgeport
12-21-2004, 10:27 AM
I was in the store when "dbny" got her skates worked on. Klingbeil's is truly the best. I overheard a conversation between Don and a potential customer at a recent competition. The customer wanted to purchase skates because of the "great things" she has heard about Klingbeil's. Don asked her what skates she was currently using and what problems she had. When she responded that she was in Harlicks and had no problems, Don said "goodbye". He then went on to elaborate how she should stay with a skate that she seemed perfectly satisfied with and not switch for the sake of trying another brand. He said she should count her blessings and not fiddle with a good thing. This says it all about Klingbeil's and their philosophy on fitting customers for skates. Can you imagine any other business turning away the opportunity to make $$ ? I can't.

dbny
12-21-2004, 11:05 AM
I was in the store when "dbny" got her skates worked on.

Now you have the advantage of me! Which of the other customers were you?

When I went for my initial fitting, I was still having second thoughts, even though Klingbeil had done wonders for my daughter. While there, I saw Don refund someone's money with absolutely no fuss. That customer was still unhappy with her new boots after about four tries at adjustments, etc. After the skater left, Don turned to me and said that she had been skating in ten year old Harlicks, and no new skate was going to suit her. He said he gets one or two out of every thousand who are never going to be happy, and it's just better to refund and let them go.

sue123
12-21-2004, 11:15 AM
I was in the store when "dbny" got her skates worked on. Klingbeil's is truly the best. I overheard a conversation between Don and a potential customer at a recent competition. The customer wanted to purchase skates because of the "great things" she has heard about Klingbeil's. Don asked her what skates she was currently using and what problems she had. When she responded that she was in Harlicks and had no problems, Don said "goodbye". He then went on to elaborate how she should stay with a skate that she seemed perfectly satisfied with and not switch for the sake of trying another brand. He said she should count her blessings and not fiddle with a good thing. This says it all about Klingbeil's and their philosophy on fitting customers for skates. Can you imagine any other business turning away the opportunity to make $$ ? I can't.

wow, that's really nice of him. the skate fitter where i got my skates did almost the same thing. i was wearing reidell's with no problems, except that they were old and worn down. so i asked him how much a new pair of riedell's cost, and it was a lot more than the jackson's he had me try on. he actually urged me to buy the jackson's, not because he had to get rid of them, but because he wanted to save me money. and, i haven't had any problem in them.

it's really rare though when businessmen try to get customers to buy the cheaper things, or not even buy at all. kinda nice to know there are still people who care in the world.

Mrs Redboots
12-22-2004, 06:51 AM
it's really rare though when businessmen try to get customers to buy the cheaper things, or not even buy at all. kinda nice to know there are still people who care in the world.I think many, if not most, skate fitters are the exception - the one I use in the South of England won't sell you new skates if you don't need them, nor will he sell you something that's too expensive for you. Perhaps it's something about our wonderful sport?

doubletoe
12-26-2004, 12:34 AM
From what I've seen, this is not a profitable business, so I think there are probably a lot of people who are in it just because they are passionate about skates and see it as a real craft.