View Full Version : Double toes

vesperholly
12-09-2004, 02:28 AM
Since my axel and double sal have been going along quite nicely lately, I think I may try my hand at some double toes. I'm soliciting tips because I need all the help I can get. My toe loop is my worst single. :oops: So, what have you practiced/learned about double toes?

doubletoe
12-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Well, considering my screen name. . . ;)

Here's what you need to do for the double toe, assuming you pick with your left toe and land on the right foot:

1. Make sure your rotation is checked with your right arm back and your left arm extended in front of your chest. Make sure you are still completely backward when your picking toe goes into the ice (I like to make sure I can still see my left hand in front of me when the pick goes into the ice).

2. Pick at 7:00, not 6:00. In other words, pick slightly to the left, not straight behind you.

3. Once the pick goes into the ice, get down low and transfer your weight to your left toe. You need to be down on a bent left leg and have at least half of your weight on the left toe so you have something to jump off of. Don't rush this part.

4. Now jump straight up off the left toe, and think of aiming the jump 90 degrees to your left, aiming with your right thigh as you leave the ice. Once you're up, snap your landing hip in really quickly and then pull your arms and free leg in. Think of trying to get backwards as quickly as possible once you're up. You'll turn the hip in and start rotation after just a 90-degree turn instead of waiting until you've done almost 180 degrees (like on the double sal).

Good luck! :)

vesperholly
12-09-2004, 04:46 PM
4. Now jump straight up off the left toe, and think of aiming the jump 90 degrees to your left
That's a really good piece of advice. It made me feel like I was jumping around, instead of blocking the rotation. Thanks!

starskate6.0
12-09-2004, 09:52 PM
Thats the trick. Dont block the rotation, Iv been working on double , double combinations and there is no way to land this unless you let the second jump just go, so it is logical to let the first jump just go, If you block with the left arm on the take off you may not get around at all. :bow: here's to you on the double toe. go for it baby 8-)

"The greatest risk in life is not taking it" :bow:

sk8er7
12-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Yes, Make sure you don't block the rotation with your left arm,keep your arms straight out, and make sure when you pick, your right knee/foot is coming around, and when you pick, make sure you put the inside of your boot down on the toe, then rock to the blade and back to the toe pick going forward.. it's a very small "V" but if you just do this doing singles you will get it! good luck!

doubletoe
12-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Thats the trick. Dont block the rotation, Iv been working on double , double combinations and there is no way to land this unless you let the second jump just go, so it is logical to let the first jump just go, If you block with the left arm on the take off you may not get around at all. :bow: here's to you on the double toe. go for it baby 8-)

"The greatest risk in life is not taking it" :bow:

Can you explain a little what you mean by, "blocking the rotation with the left arm on takeoff?" It would seem impossible, since your hips start to rotate and that causes your upper torso to follow, and your arms are attached to your torso so all you have to do is pull them in.
One of the most common mistakes people make is starting to turn the upper body prematurely, before getting a solid pick. When you do that, you risk your pick slipping and you will also slow your rotation in the air if you do manage to get a decent pick. That's why you need to make sure you leave that left arm in front and resist turning until after you feel the pick go into the ice.

starskate6.0
12-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Can you explain a little what you mean by, "blocking the rotation with the left arm on takeoff?" It would seem impossible, since your hips start to rotate and that causes your upper torso to follow, and your arms are attached to your torso so all you have to do is pull them in.
One of the most common mistakes people make is starting to turn the upper body prematurely, before getting a solid pick. When you do that, you risk your pick slipping and you will also slow your rotation in the air if you do manage to get a decent pick. That's why you need to make sure you leave that left arm in front and resist turning until after you feel the pick go into the ice.
\
Blocking the rotation
First let me say you are correct, the upper torso must rotate along with the hips in one motion. Blocking occurs in two way's , to early or too late,
To early is when you start the upper torso rotation prior to the pick getting into the ice, this result in lack on hight and uncontrolable rotation.
The second block is when the left arm fails to rotate with the upper torso in one motion and is left behind, so the hips are ready to rotate but the upper torso is blocked by the left arm. It is good to check before rotation but if the jump is not done in one fluid motion you may finish up blocking with the left arm. That's the best i can do without the visuals 8O
You are correct to check with the left arm forward before takeoff and as you rotate to the 90 degree it should be done in one motion.

I tried it again today, and once again I blocked the second double with the left arm and I new it was only going to be a single :roll: . The second one I just let go and pick strait away and landed the Double double :D . Im not a coach but id be happy to show this to you if we should meet. :D

"The greatest risk in life is not taking one. "