View Full Version : Skatemate OR other sharpeners..

figurebabe
08-05-2002, 01:14 PM
Hi, I was thinkning of getting my own 'skatemate' sharpener, has anyone got one already? Or are there any other sharpeners on the market? Are they good etc.. Please could anyone advise me, Im completely clueless as to whether or not theyre worth the money etc etc..

(please visit the skatemate site and tell me what you think)
http://www.skatemate.com/

flippet
08-05-2002, 03:12 PM
I have a Pro-Filer, and I love it. It works really well, and with my current blades, I've never sharpened them any other way. Whether you want to use it as a primary way of sharpening, or just in between professional sharpenings, I'd recommend one. They're definitely worth the money.

1lutz2klutz
08-05-2002, 04:24 PM
Flippet- how did you get up the courage to have a go at your blades yourself? I've been thinking of getting a Profiler, since our best skate sharpener guy is hard to get hold of, but I'm afraid of completely trashing my blades. Are the instructions clear for technically challenged people like myself?

flippet
08-05-2002, 05:38 PM
Yep...it's easy! Literally, all I do is slide the sharpener back and forth along my blade. It has a groove that the blade fits into, so it's nearly idiot-proof. They recommend that you put tape strips along the blade for a tighter fit, but I find that the tape tears and is basically a pain in the rear, so I don't use it. I just use a firm hand to keep it centered so it doesn't rattle off the groove, and everything's fine.

I'm the kind of person who would rather do it myself, just show me the way! I feel I know enough about my equipment and how I'd like it to feel that it's worth learning how to maintain it myself. Plus, if I screw up my stuff...well, it's only me to blame. I'd rather blame myself and fix it, than waste energy and agony against some yahoo in a pro shop who doesn't know what they're doing who screws up my equipment instead.

I really ought to learn more about skate care/fitting/maintenance and go into business....

figurebabe
08-06-2002, 05:15 AM
[quote:d4f6bbe7c1="flippet"]They recommend that you put tape strips along the blade for a tighter fit, but I find that the tape tears and is basically a pain in the rear, so I don't use it. I just use a firm hand to keep it centered so it doesn't rattle off the groove, and everything's fine.[/quote:d4f6bbe7c1]

:D You see I have one recommendation...'wobble' is quite dangerous for your blades... This 'Skatemate' sharpener probably has everything you need! ... here are some very important quotes from the site's FAQ.
I advise you to read them!...
:D
[b:d4f6bbe7c1]"Unlike the other two or three competitive hand-held sharpeners on the market, SkateMate is immediately adjustable to fit all skate blade widths and ROHs (Radius Of Hollow). There is a high-tech ceramic abrasive that SkateMate has on its cylinders. The abrasive grains of this material are ceramically bonded to the backing. apart from the SkateMate, no other device provides a stepless-adjustable fit to the width of the blade. Such sharpeners will therefore wobble to some degree; wobble will cause the edges to become dull instead of sharp."[/b:d4f6bbe7c1]
:D It also has deburring strips: [u:d4f6bbe7c1]"When a steel edge is honed from one side only, the other side tends to take on a micro-overhang, just like snow hanging on a mountain cliff. This is technically called a ''burr''. By sliding the deburring strips up and down the sides of the blades, this micro-burr is removed for an ultimate edge. "[/u:d4f6bbe7c1]
:D it also has teflon strips!: [b:d4f6bbe7c1]"The Teflon strips provide a smooth sliding action up and down your blade. Without them, there may be a tendency for the aluminum surfaces of the gap to 'stick' on steel blades. This does not happen with chrome-plated blades, but shiny chrome-plated blades will show slide marks from the aluminium. Such slide marks tend not to occur if the Teflon strips are in place"[/b:d4f6bbe7c1]

..sound good? I was thinking of buying SkateMate, and the delivery is only 2-3 days!
:o

Dimensions: 70x27x24mm (2.75x1x0.95 inches) Weight:59g (2oz)
[img:d4f6bbe7c1]http://www.skatemate.com/IMAGES/anna.small.jpg[/img:d4f6bbe7c1]

Mrs Redboots
08-06-2002, 09:28 AM
I want to get either a Pro-Filer or a Skate Mate to keep my own blades sharp - at the moment, I use an ordinary oilstone, which is fine for emergencies but not ideal. Does anybody know which, if either, has the cheapest shipping to the UK? (Or is anybody coming over in the immediate future who could bring me one, and I'd pay them in the currency of their choice?).

flippet
08-06-2002, 12:58 PM
[quote:21f9c84844="figurebabe"][:D You see I have one recommendation...'wobble' is quite dangerous for your blades...

[b:21f9c84844]"Unlike the other two or three competitive hand-held sharpeners on the market, SkateMate is immediately adjustable to fit all skate blade widths and ROHs (Radius Of Hollow). There is a high-tech ceramic abrasive that SkateMate has on its cylinders. The abrasive grains of this material are ceramically bonded to the backing. apart from the SkateMate, no other device provides a stepless-adjustable fit to the width of the blade. Such sharpeners will therefore wobble to some degree; wobble will cause the edges to become dull instead of sharp."[/b:21f9c84844][/quote:21f9c84844]

The problem I have with the Skate-Mate idea is...since the cylinder is flexible to a certain degree...how can you be sure that you're getting the proper or desired ROH? It sounds to me like you'll only be able to sharpen at whatever radius your blade is at now---and if that radius gets flattened a bit through heavy use...how are you going to put it back?

Also, the Pro-Filer has a flat stone for de-burring. The kit comes with a sharpening stone, a smoothing stone that you use oil with, and a flat de-burring stone. Every kind of sharpening, even professional, will cause the blade to develop a burr which is dulling to the edges if it's not taken off.

The masking tape idea that Pro-Filer uses is for the same purpose as the Teflon strips on the Skate-Mate--smoother passes, and protection of the sides of the blade. I know the tape doesn't work that well for me, perhaps the Teflon would work better...but either the width of the blade will fit, or it won't, and all blades are different. It may fit too snugly with the Teflon strips, and if so, you'll still have difficult passes.

I know myself and my abilities well enough to be just fine with avoiding wobble/rattle with the Pro-Filer. If you position the skate properly between your knees and keep even pressure, and don't go too fast or too slow, it's not really a problem. The lack of defined ROH with the Skate-Mate worries me more.

I've had a pro look at my blades, to be sure I wasn't wrecking them with the sharpener, and he said they looked great.

But ultimately, the choice of which sharpener to use is up to you. The only people I know who use a hand-held use the Pro-Filer, so I don't have any first-hand reports from Skate-Mate users.

flippet
08-06-2002, 01:06 PM
[quote:c37ba5e470="Mrs Redboots"]I want to get either a Pro-Filer or a Skate Mate to keep my own blades sharp - at the moment, I use an ordinary oilstone, which is fine for emergencies but not ideal. Does anybody know which, if either, has the cheapest shipping to the UK? (Or is anybody coming over in the immediate future who could bring me one, and I'd pay them in the currency of their choice?).[/quote:c37ba5e470]

Annabel, I don't know if Pro-Filer personally ships to the UK---maybe store orders? I know Rainbo used to carry them, not sure if they still do or not.
The website is www.pro-filer.com , perhaps you can contact them to ask. I don't know if Skate-Mate would either...both these companies seem rather small/family-owned.

Mrs Redboots
08-07-2002, 11:02 AM
[quote:860595e921="flippet"]
Annabel, I don't know if Pro-Filer personally ships to the UK---maybe store orders? I know Rainbo used to carry them, not sure if they still do or not.
The website is www.pro-filer.com , perhaps you can contact them to ask. I don't know if Skate-Mate would either...both these companies seem rather small/family-owned.[/quote:860595e921]
Thanks, Flippet. I will check - they will probably send, but may charge an extortionate amount for it! If so, I will wait until next May and get someone coming over to the Mountain Cup to bring me one! Meanwhile, my small oilstone is better than nothing between getting them "done".

My goodness, there is a terrific thunderstorm going on in my part of London right now! :D I love thunderstorms!

figurebabe
08-07-2002, 02:44 PM
[quote:ae14000265="Mrs Redboots"]
My goodness, there is a terrific thunderstorm going on in my part of London right now! :D I love thunderstorms![/quote:ae14000265]

ANN I KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE!!! ITS ALL THROUGH LONDON AND IVE JUST GOT BACK FROM A 2 1/2 HR JOURNEY ALL THROUGH LONDON TRYING TO GET HOME! ALL THE LINES ARE ONE BY ONE CLOSING (ON THE TRAINS) DUE TO FLOODING AND SYGNAL FAILURE!! :? :x its evvviiil!!! EVERY TIME I REACHED A CHANGE OF LINE, THE LINE CLOSED!! And I ended up catching the 'main' lines and british rail etc in order to get home... NEARLY 3 HRS LATE!!! ARRGHH!) ((((ANNNND IM SOAKING THROUGH TO MY UNDERWEAR!!!! :oops: ) :cry:

lol...(a bit off subject, sorry but..felt like elaborating!) :lol:

Mrs Redboots
08-08-2002, 10:07 AM
[quote:b3c98e2c31="figurebabe"]ALL THE LINES ARE ONE BY ONE CLOSING (ON THE TRAINS) DUE TO FLOODING AND SYGNAL FAILURE!! :? :x its evvviiil!!! EVERY TIME I REACHED A CHANGE OF LINE, THE LINE CLOSED!! And I ended up catching the 'main' lines and british rail etc in order to get home... NEARLY 3 HRS LATE!!! ARRGHH!) ((((ANNNND IM SOAKING THROUGH TO MY UNDERWEAR!!!! :oops: ) :cry:

lol...(a bit off subject, sorry but..felt like elaborating!) :lol:[/quote:b3c98e2c31]
And, continuing off-topic (I'm coming back on before the end of this post, I promise you!), I was chatting on the telephone when there was a huge crack of lightning and rumble of thunder that really startled me, and I realised this morning it must have been the one that took out that block of flats in Upper Tulse Hill, which is really near here.....

Incidentally, my husband (who works out of London) was also soaked when he came in - "It just started raining when I got to Clapham Junction", he explained. "Oh, no, it didn't," said I.....

Anyway, returning to our topic of skate sharpeners, I have discovered that Skatemate has an agent in the UK from whom one can order direct; you just click on the Union flag on the web page and it gives you the address. I have emailed the Pro-Filer people to enquire whether they ship to the UK, but if they don't have a local agent, I'll probably try to get a Skatemate.

dbny
08-08-2002, 05:16 PM
:idea: When considering the SkateMate vs. the ProFiler (we have both) Keep in mind that the SkateMate cannot be used on side honed (tapered) blades, but the ProFiler can. Also, the SkateMate can be used on any ROH, while the ProFiler must be ordered for one ROH only. That's a pro each and a con each, both pretty important.

Both of these items are frequently sold on ebay, and I got my ProFiler at a significant discount there. We got the SkateMate from Rainbo when they had their last sale. If you can wait, it is worth it.

figurebabe
08-09-2002, 04:34 AM
you see I was confused with that 'tapered' thing with SkateMate, what [i:b7bd864978]exactly [/i:b7bd864978] does that mean? I didnt understand how they described it on skatemate.com either. And how do you know if your skates are 'tapered?'

dbny
08-12-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by figurebabe
you see I was confused with that 'tapered' thing with SkateMate, what does that mean? I didnt understand how they described it on skatemate.com either. And how do you know if your skates are 'tapered?'

The specifications for your blade will tell you if they are tapered or side honed. It has to do with the thickness of the blade from front to back not being the same. The ones I know are, are the Gold Seals and Gold Stars. I know there are one or two others, but don't recall which.