View Full Version : Problems with an axel, again everyone!!!

skatetiludrop
12-08-2004, 10:53 AM
This is probably the 145th thread concerning the axel but here goes. I started learning it with a coach about 2 weeks ago (I, like most of us, toyed with the jump on my own many times before so it's not like I'm really new to it) and it went quite well. He had me do a series of waltz jump followed by loop/backspin. After these drill jumps, he told me to try them all at once in the air. Despite the fear and all the bad things I heard about trying the axel, I went for it. Thought it wasn't the best axel, I think I had a good start as I didn't land on my face or anything like that :P Since then all I seem to be doing is practicing the jump both on and off ice. I land a perfect axel with ease off-ice but when I try to do it on-ice, I'm often half turn short. I think I spend too much time on the waltz jump part of it and I start to twist my body too late. So basically, after I touch the ice, I have to jump for another half turn to complete the jump. I hope you get what I'm trying to say here. Is there any way to help me complete all the turns in the air or help me twist my body a little quicker? Thanks all in advance for your advice!!! :bow:
Ps. For those learning the axel, just want to say good luck and don't give up yet :giveup: !!

doubletoe
12-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Here are a few things that might be wrong:

1. It's possible that you aren't jumping as high when you do them on the ice because you're a little afraid. If you jump as high on the ice as you do on the floor, the timing of the hip turn in the air should be the same. as it is on the floor. On the ice, jump straight up off your toe, wait until you are almost at the top of your jump, then jerk your right hip in very quickly and follow that with your arms and free leg pulling in.

2. You are probably resisting getting backwards and staying backwards, since you aren't used to doing more than 1 revolution on the ice. You might also start leaning forward with your upper body in the air because you want to get out of the jump after one revolution. So really pull up straight in the air, like there's a string from the top of your head to the ceiling, and try to stay straight until your toepick hits the ice on landing.

doubletoe
12-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Actually, let me clarify one thing. . . The problem is not that you need to start turning SOONER. The problem is that you need to turn QUICKER. In other words, you need to wait until you are approaching the top of the jump, but then when you DO turn your hip and pull your arms and free leg in, you have to do it with a really quick snap. The beginning of the jump is slow, but when you get to the top of the jump, the pace completely changes and becomes really quick! That's the big difference between the single jumps and the axel. It's a weird timing thing.

skatetiludrop
12-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Thanks a lot doubletoe!! I'm going to take your advice down to the rink today. Thanks again! :bow:

angelskates
12-09-2004, 04:07 AM
Another thing might be that your weight with boots on (ie on the ice) is slightly more. Have you ever tried off ice axels with ankle weights? It sometimes helps you jump higher on the ice, as double toe says, the timing on and off ice is the same, the reason could be that you don't jump quite as high because your boots my you a bit heavier.

Just a thought. I do all off ice jump rotations with ankle weights (if you don't want to buy, a cheap option is filla stocking with rice and tie around your ankle! Once I get on ice, it feels lighter and I jump higher.

Keep at it!

skatetiludrop
12-09-2004, 02:16 PM
angelskates, thanks a lot! I'd never realised about the weight of the boots before! I think that's probably part of a problem. Anyway, I'll try to jump higher and use ankle weights :bow:

skaternum
12-09-2004, 02:53 PM
<slaps forehead> Duh! I sometimes use ankle weights when my pairs partner and I work on lifts off-ice, but it never occurred to me to use them for jumping off-ice. Don't I feel silly??

skatetiludrop
12-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Okay, I've just been reading all the threads concerning the axel and one thing that gets mentioned a lot is trying to get over your "right side". I was just wondering what that means exactly. Help!

vesperholly
12-09-2004, 04:49 PM
It means snapping into the backspin position. Your weight is on the left side on the take off (LFO edge) but as you transition through the jump, you should transfer the weight to the right side. Just another piece that makes the axel so hard.

skatetiludrop
12-10-2004, 08:03 AM
Ok, I think I get it now. Thanks vesperholly! :bow: