View Full Version : i got new skates!!

sue123
12-04-2004, 08:44 AM
To make up for my dying skates, i bought myself a new pair as an early hannukah present. i went to the rink where i will be taking lessons in january, and asked the instructor what skates he would recommend. He told me to get a pair of jackson's, because they'd last longer and are cheaper than most other skates (good for me, the poor college student :lol: )

he took me over to teh pro shop there, told the fitter what i needed, and he went and measured my foot, decided the first pair he brought out for me were too big, and in teh bigger pair, he put his finger into the back to determine the fit, and asked if i ever injured my ankle. I told him that about a year ago, i had a grade 3 ankle sprain, where i tore up alll the ligaments in my ankle. Then he said he could tell by the way my foot was situated in the boot! :?:

So he brought out the smaller size, and told me the proper way to put them on, you have to give a strong kick back first to make sure your foot is all the way in there. then he laced them up for me, i tried them, and they fit very nicely. The first skate sharpening is free, and i could have gotten them heat molded for free too, but i didn't have the time for that, so i might go back next week if i need to get them heat molded.

so yay, i'm excited. :D

KatieC
12-04-2004, 08:53 AM
Congratulations Sue123 - I wish you many years of wonderful skating in your new skates. I have Jacksons myself, and love them - never had a moments pain. :)

sue123
12-04-2004, 02:51 PM
i went skating with said new skates today, just got back from the public session. it is definitly taking some time to get used to. i ended up skating for about 20-30 minutes, taking my skates off for 5-10, then putting them back on again. didn't try anything fancy, but my edges felt a lot better, except on my right foot.

i need to get my right blade adjusted because i keep falling into the inside edge, so next week, i have to come back home to go to the skate shop so tehy could adjust my blades.

i tried to do some spins, just to see how it was doing. my back spin, which i had previously found to be much easier, all but disappeared, but i think it may have to do with needing to stop myself from falling onto the inside edge (stupid ankle). although, i did have a lot more luck with a one footed foward spin than i ever did with my old skates.

i know, i know, you're not supposed to do anything but skate the first couple times you wear them, but i wanted to test them out sooo bad. and it was fun, i didn't fall or anything (and i think that's a first for me when i go skating). of course, luck couldn't be on my side. i drove home, and stepping out of the car, i fall on the sidewalk, twisting my ankle that last year, i had torn all the ligaments. it's currently attempting to swell, but hopefully it won't be too bad. go figure, right?