View Full Version : Hotels for New Years Invitational

skaternum
12-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Has anybody tried to reserve a room at the Courtyard Dulles Town Center? The announcement lists it as a participating hotel and says, "Ask for special rates through WFSC ..." But of course the reservation agent at the Courtyard says there's no block of rooms or special rates under that name (or any other possible name I gave her). Anybody successfully done this yet? If so, what was the special rate listed as?

As an aside, this is one of my pet peeves with competition hotels. The way it's listed in the hotel's reservation system is never what it says on the announcement, so you have to play 20 guesses. Is it under "Washington Figure Skating Club?" No. Is it under "Figure Skating?" No. Is it under "New Years Adult Invitational?" No. Is it under "New Years Invitational?" No. Is it under "Adult Figure Skating?" No. Is it under ... :frus:

NoVa Sk8r
12-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Based on the speed at which WFSC sometimes operates, the organizers may not yet have informed the hotels. :roll:

Terri C
12-01-2004, 10:15 AM
I just reserved my room at the Courtyard through my Marriott account! BTW, for the uninformed- do not stay at the Hampton Inn that is in the announcement!

jenlyon60
12-01-2004, 10:23 AM
Has anybody tried to reserve a room at the Courtyard Dulles Town Center? The announcement lists it as a participating hotel and says, "Ask for special rates through WFSC ..." But of course the reservation agent at the Courtyard says there's no block of rooms or special rates under that name (or any other possible name I gave her). Anybody successfully done this yet? If so, what was the special rate listed as?

As an aside, this is one of my pet peeves with competition hotels. The way it's listed in the hotel's reservation system is never what it says on the announcement, so you have to play 20 guesses. Is it under "Washington Figure Skating Club?" No. Is it under "Figure Skating?" No. Is it under "New Years Adult Invitational?" No. Is it under "New Years Invitational?" No. Is it under "Adult Figure Skating?" No. Is it under ... :frus:

Did you try "Adult Invitational" or "New Year's Invitational"

I have no idea what flavor they used this year... there's also several new hotels near the mall that have opened in the last couple months... mostly catering to business, but they may run some sort of weekend promotional rate that's better than the "special club rate." One of the new hotels is Candlewood Suites, their web site has a $79/night rate for a queen bed studio suite or an $89/night rate for a 2 double bed suite...both with kitchen.

Also remember they are doing road construction all around the VA Rt 28 corridor... it's a REAL mess right now, even on weekends.

skaternum
12-01-2004, 10:26 AM
BTW, for the uninformed- do not stay at the Hampton Inn that is in the announcement!
I totally agree! We stayed there last year, and it was horrible. Some of the problems: it's old & slightly ratty; there are no interior hallway (all room doors open to the outside); there was no hot water for 36 hours; staff were less than helpful.

Another caveat: the Holiday Inn listed in the announcement doesn't have an elevator. It's great for pairs teams, as it gives the man an extra opportunity to lift weight (yes, I made him carry me upstairs :) ), but it gets tiring to schlep your luggage, skatebag, and costume bag up the stairs every day.

LoopLoop
12-01-2004, 10:35 AM
There's also an Embassy Suites currently under construction *really* close to the rink. I don't know when it will be open, though.

Debbie S
12-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Also remember they are doing road construction all around the VA Rt 28 corridor... it's a REAL mess right now, even on weekends.

Is this the Dulles Toll Road? Does this mean that it will be harder to get to the rink? I hope the organizers will at least put up directions on the club or rink website that tell us how to get around a detour, if there is one. Would you say the construction will add to our drive time if we drive in just for the competition? (I'm coming from 495 in MD).

NoVa Sk8r
12-01-2004, 11:17 AM
I drove to the Ashburn rink this past Sunday afternoon, and while there is lots of construction going on, I had no problems whatsoever getting to the rink. The road to the rink--Waxpool RD--is clearly marked before the turn off Rt. 28.
But who knows what the traffic situation will be like on a Friday (when official practice ice is available) ...

LoopLoop
12-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Is this the Dulles Toll Road? Does this mean that it will be harder to get to the rink? I hope the organizers will at least put up directions on the club or rink website that tell us how to get around a detour, if there is one. Would you say the construction will add to our drive time if we drive in just for the competition? (I'm coming from 495 in MD).

The toll road itself is fine, Debbie, it's the road you exit onto (Route 28, AKA Sully Road). The turn onto Waxpool Road is the same as before.

jenlyon60
12-01-2004, 12:07 PM
I drove to the Ashburn rink this past Sunday afternoon, and while there is lots of construction going on, I had no problems whatsoever getting to the rink. The road to the rink--Waxpool RD--is clearly marked before the turn off Rt. 28.
But who knows what the traffic situation will be like on a Friday (when official practice ice is available) ...

The left turn lane onto Waxpool Road from Rt 28 backs up bad during rush hour or just before. The other week, I was going from work to the Wegman's grocery, and things were very tied up on Waxpool, between the construction and a couple of accidents.

Middays on the weekends can be a nuisance also, because the Wegmans is a very popular grocery store since it opened last Feb. (But it has better carry-out than the Italian restaurant at the rink...)

skaternum
12-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Did you try "Adult Invitational" or "New Year's Invitational"
Of course. Once an anal retentive librarian, always an anal retentive librarian!