View Full Version : Kurt Browning's Back Cross Strokes...OMG

dbny
11-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Did anyone else notice them in his program on Kristi Yamaguchi's special? Each one seemed to be a complete circle, and a very small one at that. Absolutely exquisite. I have a new goal, which I may never meet, but now I'm motivated to try.

NJSk8Fan
11-28-2004, 06:45 PM
I have always been fascinated and thrilled by Kurt's different footwork moves! He's truly a genius at it.

1lutz2klutz
11-28-2004, 06:50 PM
It was great to watch the "old time" skaters, and see that a perfectly beautiful program does not have to be a jump fest. I always marvel at what stong edges and graceful artistry can create.

Terri C
11-28-2004, 06:56 PM
I totally agree with 1Klutz and get to see Holiday Celebration on Ice this Friday in Norfolk! With today's show, I got a "sneak preview " to see the kind of skating I hope to see on Friday night!

ferelu
11-28-2004, 06:58 PM
These back cross strokes where in which number?

doubletoe
11-28-2004, 07:24 PM
Nooo, I missed it! Darn! But he is still my absolute favorite skater! He's got the edges, the spins, the showmanship, and he's even still got his awesome jumps!

Terri C
11-28-2004, 07:27 PM
Quick, Craig Maurizi needs to draft Kurt for next year's Adult Training Camp!

After all, there were adult skaters there from Canada!

dbny
11-28-2004, 10:13 PM
These back cross strokes where in which number?

I missed most of the show, so if Kurt skated more than one number, it was in his last solo, skated to "Time In A Bottle".

I can just barely do the B cross stroke exercise in which you do three on a line and take the third one in a complete circle to begin again in the opposite direction. I can do it forwards, but even then can't get the small circles and deep edges that Kurt has.....well, duh, of couse not!

dbny
11-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Nooo, I missed it! Darn! But he is still my absolute favorite skater! He's got the edges, the spins, the showmanship, and he's even still got his awesome jumps!

Mine too. Kurt is truly an artist on the ice.

Mrs Redboots
11-29-2004, 04:38 AM
It was great to watch the "old time" skaters, and see that a perfectly beautiful program does not have to be a jump fest. I always marvel at what stong edges and graceful artistry can create.Yes, if you watch old Torvill & Dean tapes, their footwork is so simple - just absolutely beautifully done. Drool......:yum:

Mel On Ice
11-29-2004, 09:02 AM
I wondered why my coach sounded a little breathless on the phone yesterday, every other word was "Kurt", and she has new ideas for my "Time in a Bottle" program. 8O

icedancer2
11-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Kurt's cross-strokes were basically a set-up for back loops (figure loops) or change or paragraph loops. I think we will soon rue the day that figures were dropped from skating -- I am guessing that our future professional skaters will not be able to easily perform moves like this.

I may be wrong, but we shall see...

They are beautiful.

montanarose
11-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Icedancer2, you took the words right out of my mouth: with the demise of figures, there will come a day when we no longer see this beautiful stuff. Kurt, Brian Orser, even Kristi Y. are among the last of an era.

Ellen, knowing she's sounding like an old fogey :lol:

dbny
11-29-2004, 07:54 PM
Kurt's cross-strokes were basically a set-up for back loops (figure loops) or change or paragraph loops. I think we will soon rue the day that figures were dropped from skating -- I am guessing that our future professional skaters will not be able to easily perform moves like this.

I may be wrong, but we shall see...

They are beautiful.

Sarah Hughes is young enough not to have had to skate figures, but I recall seeing her do figure loops in a program. It's a beautiful move. Just because figures are no longer required is no reason for elite skaters not to learn them, especially with the CoP being used now in international competition. I'm hoping for the best.

pennybeagle
11-29-2004, 10:04 PM
Sarah Hughes is young enough not to have had to skate figures, but I recall seeing her do figure loops in a program. It's a beautiful move. Just because figures are no longer required is no reason for elite skaters not to learn them, especially with the CoP being used now in international competition. I'm hoping for the best.

ITA...my coach is actually having one of her advanced students work on figures now that she's passed senior moves. The trouble is finding patch ice time, since it's one thing to learn how to do figures and another thing altogether to REALLY do them on the pattern with control.

icedancer2
11-29-2004, 11:26 PM
ITA...my coach is actually having one of her advanced students work on figures now that she's passed senior moves. The trouble is finding patch ice time, since it's one thing to learn how to do figures and another thing altogether to REALLY do them on the pattern with control.

Well, I hope you guys are right. One of our Senior Ladies is also starting figures. (I myself passed my Adult Bronze figures three weeks ago, and am working on the Silver figures -- LOTS of the adults at my rink are trying figures, too). It is hard finding clean ice, but I try not to be too picky about that...)

Mrs Redboots
11-30-2004, 07:15 AM
Some of my coach's skaters do figure loops on the ice. Even I sometimes have a go at BI loops, very badly, because they're fun to do. Not as a figure, but you draw them in a continuous line down the ice. None of the fonts available to us is a handwriting font, but if you draw a line of joined-up "e"s, you'll get the effect.

doubletoe
11-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Some of my coach's skaters do figure loops on the ice. Even I sometimes have a go at BI loops, very badly, because they're fun to do. Not as a figure, but you draw them in a continuous line down the ice. None of the fonts available to us is a handwriting font, but if you draw a line of joined-up "e"s, you'll get the effect.

Hey, I get those sometimes when I do a really travelly scratch spin, LOL! Can I pretend I meant to do BI loops? ;)

Mrs Redboots
12-01-2004, 06:43 AM
Hey, I get those sometimes when I do a really travelly scratch spin, LOL! Can I pretend I meant to do BI loops? ;)Only if your free foot was well balanced over your skating foot while you did them, and your arms were not drawn in! ;)