View Full Version : back spiral into back camel

kayskate
11-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Can anybody do a back camel directly from a back spiral? I have tried this and have seen it in some elite programs. To save my life, I cannot deepen my edge enough to start the spin. My coach never did this skill either. It is also shown on the A-M Frei video vol 2. However, she does not explain how to do it.

Kay

flo
11-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Hi,
Did it with pairs. You need to decrease the circle sharply an use lots of knee bend on the hook.
Have fun!

triple twist
11-28-2004, 02:03 PM
Definately- you need to rally 'crush' the ice underneath you going into the spin, bend your knee, and snap at precisely the right time to get a good spin going. you also need to use your hips to an extent to keep the flow of the spin going. I'm not the best at this...actually i can barely do it to an attractive level (lol) but those are the stephs I use. I guess it'll just take a lot of practise.

kayskate
11-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Definately- you need to rally 'crush' the ice underneath you going into the spin, bend your knee, and snap at precisely the right time to get a good spin going. .

I understand this to mean you must ride a very deep edge and dig in to initiate the spin. My coach guessed at snapping the hips. She said this must be very difficult. I will work on getting a back spiral in a tight circle. I have seen elites on TV do this by trailing a hand on the ice. I prefer the way pairs do it w/o touching the ice. Probably harder.

Kay

flo
11-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Hi,
We didn't touch the ice. The hook felt like what you do for a change camel - deep edge and push. The problem of course is that you have to do this while on the same foot. It might be helpful to practice a back inside spiral (on the left foot) and then go to a back camel. Then as you progress, change to a back R outside spiral.

LWalsh
11-30-2004, 01:34 PM
I've seen my coach teach this move to another skater and from what I remember she used the Gus Lussi "open the barn door" sweeping motion with the arm as well (probably since she had been a student of his) . If I remember correctly this means the outside arm was forward and swept back as you came up into the spin. There is a particular moment this has to happen or the momentum was lost though.

This is a cool move, I am inspired to try it now too.

Good Luck.

Lara

kayskate
11-30-2004, 02:53 PM
Hi,
It might be helpful to practice a back inside spiral (on the left foot) and then go to a back camel. Then as you progress, change to a back R outside spiral.

Not sure what you mean by this. I am a CW skater and do back spins on my left foot. Would I do the BI spiral on my right foot then step down into a bcamel on my left foot?

Kay

flo
12-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Yes, that's it. This will give you the feeling of the hook into the spin from a spiral pattern - and also a new variation on a back came entry. The other thing to try is being sent into a back camel from your coach. It's another pairs move, but may help in learning the entry. You do a back spiral, and your coach/partner is on the inside of the circle (holding your hand) and "sends" you into the spin.

kayskate
12-03-2004, 05:05 AM
The other thing to try is being sent into a back camel from your coach. It's another pairs move, but may help in learning the entry. You do a back spiral, and your coach/partner is on the inside of the circle (holding your hand) and "sends" you into the spin.

Interesting idea. I will mention this to my coach in my next lesson. Thanks for the two suggestions.

Kay

kayskate
12-04-2004, 04:25 PM
Hi,
It might be helpful to practice a back inside spiral (on the left foot) and then go to a back camel. Then as you progress, change to a back R outside spiral.

Thank you, Flo!
This is the single BEST skating tip I have received on the net. I did this movement from different positions on the BI edge and different footwork that left me on a BI edge ready to step down to the bcamel. It works beautifully. I also drilled upright back spins w/ great centering using this entrance. I shared it with a friend too! It gives a very graceful bcamel. It also enhances the forward camel to bcamel transition in a combo spin.

And...I did the back spiral directly to a bcamel for the first time!!! I was so excited. A friend was watching and I cheered myself and jumped around like a crazy on my toe picks. I did it twice (only got about 1rev each). All of the other times I fell. But this move is definitely in my future!

Kay

flo
12-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Great!! Glad I could help. Sounds like you'll have a few great spin entries.
Enjoy.