View Full Version : Want to scream

skatergirlsmom
11-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Hi, I hope no one minds if I vent here. I am so aggravated. I took my 9 year old skater to her Dad's this weekend for 3 hours for a birthday party. Well, my Ex seems to have a new toy, a big Harley. He took my daughter for a ride. Now she has a burn on her foot that is about 2 inches wide and an inch up and down. The blister popped and there is a flap of dead skin loosely hanging over open skin. I can't even imagine how it would feel with a skate over it. I don't know how long it will take to heal. She wants to try ballet tonight because the burn is a little higher than the top of her ballet shoes. She hates missing anything. :frus: :cry: :cry:

skatingatty
11-23-2004, 09:55 AM
Oww! That sounds so painful. I'm sorry that happened; hope your ex pays for any medical bills at least. It doesn't sound like she'll be able to skate for at least a week, but wearing Bunga pads should help later, when the skin has mostly healed.

skatergirlsmom
11-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks, I will get a bunga pad. I know she will be pushing me to get back on the ice. A week off the ice will make her crazy. I am sure that we should wait at least until there is a solid scab over the burn.

Elsy2
11-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Be very cautious with that burn. Ideally it would have been better if it didn't pop but continued to heal under the blister....but now that it's popped, do keep a watch on it for infection. I was always told to use polysporin and keep it covered.

I actually have had the same sort of burn also from a motorcyle......back in crazier days. I'd be royally upset too if my ex (or current husband) put any of my kids on a bike........Mine healed very nicely thank goodness. It was huge.

Hope she heals quicky!

skaternum
11-23-2004, 11:00 AM
CYA advice: take pictures of the burn and keep a record of what happened. You might want, because if some jerk (ex or not) burned my kid, I'd be making sure the jerk never gets to spend unsupervised time with her again.

flo
11-23-2004, 11:14 AM
There are many new bandages on the market, and some just for burns - also some gel like ones for when it's healed but still a bit delicate..

isk84kalan
11-23-2004, 01:14 PM
OUCH!! I hope that she is going to be OK. I wouldn't want to miss skating either. :cry:

Try going to a doctor and asking him/her. They would know what to do to try to pick up the healing process and maybe even getting her to skate WITH the burn. I know that I had a VERY PAINFUL Planter's Wart on the pad of my big toe. I could barely walk! 8O Then, I went to my doctor. He gave me a thick pad to put on the bottom of my foot. I skated with it!! I would land a jump with a bit of pain. But, that's the price you pay for not washing your shoes all the time.

TELL YOUR CHILDREN NOT TO LET FRIENDS BORROW THEIR SHOES FOR ANYTHING!!!!

flippet
11-23-2004, 02:24 PM
There are many new bandages on the market, and some just for burns - also some gel like ones for when it's healed but still a bit delicate..That's a good idea...we got some of those gel ones for a couple of crater-like popped blisters (obtained by skating barefoot!), and I was astonished at how quickly they healed. Probably within 2-3 days, when I'm sure it would have been over a week using normal bandages/salve.

Um, did your ex at least treat the burn, or did he leave it for you as a surprise? I probably wouldn't go the picture route unless this is perhaps not the first instance of negligence. Accidents happen, even to good parents. And it's pretty easy to get burned by a motorcycle, even when you're being careful. I got a burn on hubby's bike once...just took the slightest brush against the tailpipe, and I had a nice purple mark on my leg, probably two inches long and half an inch wide. 8O

edit...you say this is on her foot, though? Was she not wearing shoes? If so, that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax. (If she wasn't wearing a helmet either, I'd be supremely p*ssed.)

skatergirlsmom
11-23-2004, 02:50 PM
edit...you say this is on her foot, though? Was she not wearing shoes? If so, that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax. (If she wasn't wearing a helmet either, I'd be supremely p*ssed.)

Kind of her foot and kind of her ankle. She was wearing shoes but no socks. I doubt she was wearing a helmet, but I have forbidden future riding.

I appreciate all the advice and responses. I feel a little better. My little athlete just doesn't ever want to quit - even if sick or injured. It tugs at my heart. I don't think I will go with the picture route unless I find out she has been on the bike again (but it is not a bad idea). I have kept neosporin on it and the gel bandages sound ideal.

Mrs Redboots
11-24-2004, 05:01 AM
Tell your little athlete that her body needs down-time to heal. Of course she doesn't want to quit, but she needs to let her body heal.

I burnt my arm rather badly last winter - a chemical burn, caused by my own carelessness - and, because I had a competition that weekend, tried to skate with it. My body went into total and utter rebellion - back spasms, diarrhoea, you name it..... I had to withdraw from the competition after the first day, and stay off the ice for the week after the competition, and really only skated a few times between then (2nd week in December) and the end of the holidays in January. By which time it was well scabbed-over and didn't need a dressing.

Incidentally, go to your pharmacist and get the burn dressed - the gel dressings are very good at helping the skin heal. And watch her like a hawk for any sign of infection.

doubletoe
11-25-2004, 01:08 AM
To keep the blister pad from coming off, my guess is that you would want to putt the Bunga ankle sleeve immediately on top of the blister pad, under the sock/tights. I would imagine there would be more rubbing and slippage if you put the bunga pad ankle sleeve over the sock and the blister pad under the sock.

skatergirlsmom
11-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the all the responses. My skater is back on the ice. :) After 9 days without skating, she looked pretty good. The burn is healing and did not look any worse after skating. She said it hurts when she lands her jumps, but she was happy to skate again.