View Full Version : Adult ISU Comp/Oberstdorf

mdvask8r
11-22-2004, 04:30 PM
It's posted!!

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=27945

vesperholly
11-23-2004, 01:57 AM
This is really awesome... An adult "Worlds"!!!

But... but... you have to be 30! :cry:

flo
11-23-2004, 08:45 AM
It's strange indeed. 30, no Interpretive, and one pair classification. I want to go as a pair, if anyone has a partner who is available (regular partner can't go or not available) to lend for this one event, let me know!

Stormy
11-23-2004, 10:38 AM
30??!! Ok, I am really honestly pissed about that. I was planning on doing this and my coach was really excited about it. I really am mad. :evil: :evil: :cry:

blue111moon
11-23-2004, 11:50 AM
When Rhea Schwartz announced this event last May, the age was 30 so that's not news. It's the ISU's decision because they felt that there are elite skaters competing in their late 20s (Maria Butyrskya's name was mentioned) and this competition is not intended to include them.

The ISU also eliminated all events that aren't in their standard schedule, so no Interp, no figures, no solo dance - IOW, none of the events that make adult competitions fun.

flo
11-23-2004, 12:19 PM
It's also the first one, and they are working with the task to combine rules, levels on an international level and such. Hopefully if there is enough support, it will develop over time. Remember that the present Adult Nationals (for better or for worse) is not what it was at it's inception.

manleywoman
11-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Yes, its to be expected that the first year will be a trial run of how to get all the international test levels sorted out, and I can understand why they did away with interpretive for the first year.

I'm going, and I'm excited. Competing against Maria Butyrskaya though . . . I'll predict whe'll win!

Mrs Redboots
11-24-2004, 04:56 AM
My sadness is that there is no pre-bronze couples dance! :( And, with the best will in the world, Husband and I are not yet able to do the 14-step and the Foxtrot competitively. We are hoping that Husband will be able to compete with Other Woman - any nice, strong, male partner want to volunteer to haul me through the dances and not mind coming last???? ;)

We are still taking the time as holiday, though, and if we have nothing to go to Oberstdorf for, well, we love driving round Europe at random.....

Rhea did say, when the initial announcement was made, that what happens this year will not be "set in stone" - don't take it that it will always be this restrictive. Let's be glad the ISU is letting us have this competition at all - so many of us have campaigned so long to get it.

sk8pics
11-24-2004, 05:55 AM
Not that I'm seriously planning to do this event, but I was just wondering about eligibility other than age. It lists Gold, Silver and Bronze free skating, but it didn't specify anything about qualifications at each level. Does anyone know if that is listed somewhere? I'm only a pre-bronze skater in the US, but if I were insane enough and had the money, could I skate in the Bronze event?

I think it's great that this event is being held, and Oberstdorf is a beautiful little town. Not much food available late at night, though! I can remember coming out of a competition at 10 pm and finding only one Italian restaurant open. Good food, though!

Pat

InsideAxel
11-24-2004, 07:29 AM
sk8pics (et al),

Here is a response I got regarding that exact question:

The answer to your question is that there are no test pre-requisites. You can enter the level you feel is appropriate.

As there are no universal international adult test requirements - and many federations dont even have adult skating, we felt that for this initial competition we couldn't impose test requirements. So we are just going to trust people to skate where they belong. We hope that people will not "sand bag" and skate lower than their level just in the hope of winning.

Hope that helps!

Kelton

sk8pics
11-24-2004, 08:44 AM
Hmmnnn.. this would be some goal to work for, and just to be able to participate would be so exciting! We'll see...

Anybody else planning on doing this competition?

Pat

caolaidhe
11-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Arrrgh, I was excited about going, and then I read the announcement and realized that the age cutoff is July 1 2004. I turn 30 in April 2005, so although I will be 30 by the date of the comp, I haven't made the age cutoff date. :cry: Sigh. I thought the USFSA was bad enough, with their 25+ rules for the adult track, but 30+?? That's an entire decade of adults who are prevented from competing! Oh well, hopefully the ISU will eventually get a set of rules for the adult levels straightened out and then maybe they can relax the age requirement and make it more inclusive.

Beccapoo2003
11-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Yup, I plan on going. AND I get to be a Silver TWO even though I'll be 46!!! Yeah!!!! :D :D :D
Becca

mdvask8r
11-25-2004, 03:20 AM
Well, the jury is still out on my decision to go, but if I DO I'll also be in Silver II -- at age 50!! Never thought I'd see THAT. I've been in group III since my very first competition. You CAN be younger again, well in Oberstdorf anyway! :)