View Full Version : Injury and staying in shape

Jennifer28
09-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Hi. I am looking for advice on if you are injured and can't skate and do anything with your legs that would be considered cardio, what do you do? I hurt myself skating and can't skate, run, lift leg weights, rollerblade, etc. for a couple of months. What can I do to keep in shape and keep my cardio fitness level boosted? I am worried about losing what I worked hard for. Is there any kind of upper body workout that would cause a cardio workout similar to skating or jogging? Please help.

doubletoe
09-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Swimming is always a safe bet, but you should ask your doctor or physical therapist, since they are much more familiar with your condition.

NickiT
09-27-2005, 02:41 AM
I'm not sure of the extent of your injury. When I broke my ankle it was incredibly frustrating since I was unable to do anything, so if this applies to you, you have my sympathies.

I currently have a broken wrist, and having had three weeks off I did venture onto the ice last week, but naturally I was extremely wary and therefore skated at such a gentle pace. In order to keep up my fitness until I'm better, I'm using an exercise bike. My husband borrowed it and I find it useful to do short sessions on it throughout the day. Of course it's extemely dull compared with skating, but it's better than nothing and at least when I get back on the ice properly it won't kill me.

Nicki

Perry
09-27-2005, 04:16 AM
Just let pain be your guide. I injured my hip and was off for two years -- for six months after the surgery to repair it I couldn't walk at all, and for the year and a half after that I couldn't even swim because the kicking motion hurt it. Even now, "healed" as I am, I'll never be able to run or swim without pain, and I've been forbidden form ever using a treadmill again.

Basically, if it hurts (unless your doctor says that's OK -- skating hurt when I first came back), it's probably not good for you.

Kelli
09-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Some gyms have a cardio machine that's like an exercise bike but you just use your arms - legs stay perfectly still. It might be a good start for you, but really the only way to get a good cardio workout is by using the largest muscles in your body - your legs. Can you swim? Depending on the extent of your injury, you may be able to swim regular laps or swim laps using just your arms (with a pull buoy between your legs). How about water aerobics?

Your best bet is to get an exact diagnosis and detailed physical restrictions from your doctor and a recommendation for a good PT or trainer. You don't give much detail about your injury, but you may be limited to only upper body work for a bit. Try to find a good pilates or yoga instructor (through a serious ballet school, preferably) who has experience modifying routines for injuries. If you lose some cardio conditioning to allow an injury to fully heal, that's ok. You get it back easier the second time around.

vesperholly
09-27-2005, 07:01 PM
I sprained my ankle last year and worked out on a sit-down bike with one leg. When I regained some movement in the up-down motion of my ankle, I went back to both legs. I still couldn't use a treadmill or elliptical for another month because standing put too much pressure on it.