View Full Version : Power Threes

Carleenp
11-20-2004, 04:50 PM
I learned power threes today, but now find that I am not sure I remember what to do. I don't want to practice it wrong, so I thought I would post and see if I have the sequence right. I figure if in doubt, I will wait until the next lesson though. :)

So, is it three turn, stay through the end of the turn on one foot, push into a back cross-over, stay on one foot, step forward, and then repeat by going into the three turn???? I think that is it. Mostly I was thinking that really the only time two feet are on the ice is for the push going into the back crossover and the crossover itself? I think that is right, but wanted to double check if anyone knows. I would love to practice it some this week!

dbny
11-20-2004, 04:59 PM
After the FO three, hold the BI edge, then push to the other BI edge, holding your arm/shoulder position. Hold that BI edge (two footed) looking into the center of the rink. Now switch your arms/shoulders as you move your weight to the other foot (BO edge) for the crossover. Step forward from the BI edge to a FO and the next three.

Carleenp
11-20-2004, 05:09 PM
After the FO three, hold the BI edge, then push to the other BI edge, holding your arm/shoulder position. Hold that BI edge (two footed) looking into the center of the rink. Now switch your arms/shoulders as you move your weight to the other foot (BO edge) for the crossover. Step forward from the BI edge to a FO and the next three.

That seems to be what I remember, and the edge definitions helped me think through it more too! Thanks!!!! :)

isk84kalan
11-23-2004, 01:19 PM
Wow....that is SO confusing to me. :oops: Sorry, but I am a hands-on learner.

dbny
11-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Wow....that is SO confusing to me. :oops: Sorry, but I am a hands-on learner.

Do you know the pre-juv B power crossover pattern (AKA Russian stroking)? Now, instead of doing the opposite direction crossover, step forward onto an O edge and do a FO three. Then pretend you are in the B power crossovers again.

Carleenp
11-23-2004, 11:19 PM
Do you know the pre-juv B power crossover pattern (AKA Russian stroking)? Now, instead of doing the opposite direction crossover, step forward onto an O edge and do a FO three. Then pretend you are in the B power crossovers again.

Ha ha. Now that was confusing to me, where I understood the first one! I suppose it just shows how hard it can be to describe skating moves. It is like a foriegn language where everyone speaks different dialects! :)

Anyway, I tend to be a "hands on" learner to some extent, but I find that thinking through moves and the edges involved etc. makes me get it right. Sometimes I find it really funny. For example, I totally got how to do a three turn on either my left outside edge or right inside edge but then had to totally think through the other ones and really struggled! Where I got one easily by watching the instructor, I needed step by step instructions for the others and I still mess the others up!

Needless to say, I will be practicing power threes on the LO start and mentally thinking through and seeking help from the instructor on the RO start! :)