View Full Version : Can a Hockey Skater...?

dbny
11-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Let me be the first to say 8O

A young (adult) hockey skater that I know just decided last week to do some figure skating. Our skating director took him through most moves up through Juvenile. When they got to the double threes, I figured he was out, but he did even the BI threes no problem. This was in hockey skates and with absolutely no attempt at form or posture.

This week he got a pair of decent figure skates, and I was able to call out "toepick" almost immediately. I would have been doubled over laughing, if I hadn't been afraid he'd split his chin open, as he was stretched out full length on the ice. Nevertheless, he proceded to do the moves in figure skates, still refusing to stand up straight or hold his arms out (don't even think about free leg extension). He finished up his "lesson" with jumps, quickly polishing off the waltz, toe loop, and loop! It was his second time trying figure skating.

This kid is obviously very, very talented and has perfect balance. I am so hoping he will decide to really figure skate, as he could move up very quickly. I just don't see any limits for him (though I know, that of couse, there must be). Again, 8O

sk8er1964
11-18-2004, 08:47 PM
To be honest with you, this doesn't really surprise me. Hockey skaters learn, through their drills, to turn quickly in all directions, and to change direction on a dime. Their skates are all rocker. So, the idea of using the blade to facilitate changes in direction wouldn't be odd to their bodies. Also, speed and power, combined with those quick turns, are second nature to them.

(Side note - did you know that their skates need to be sharpened every three to five hours of skating, when they're young? The pros and college skaters will sharpen their skates between periods of a game! 8O )

My son, who has been playing hockey for four years (he's nine) put on figure skates last year. He could do a waltz jump, a toe loop, a salchow and a one foot spin. He did this in his one (and only) figure skating lesson (he's just too in love with hockey right now and didn't want another figure skating lesson). Actually, he can do a one foot spin and a waltz jump in hockey skates, and he can do an almost fully rotated double toe off ice! 8O

I think sometimes we figure skaters take hockey skaters for granted, because we mostly see the kids being brats on open skate, or the have the frustration of having the prime ice gobbled up by the hockey leagues. Since my son has started playing travel hockey, I have gained a new-found respect for the skating ability of hockey players. They, at least the ones who play more advanced hockey, are really, really good skaters.

Lmarletto
11-18-2004, 08:49 PM
A good hockey skater can do amazing things in hockey skates. Because of the curve on the blade and the lack of anything in the front or back to warn you before you've gone too far forward or backward, they develop an excellent sense where their balance points are. They also seem to be comfortable getting way down in their knees, maybe as a way to keep their balance. I wonder if good posture and extension aren't the hardest things to learn in transitioning to figure skating - old habits die hard.

Shinn-Reika
11-20-2004, 12:25 AM
I'm a former hockey player, who is going to take a skating class in college. It isn't necessarily a figure skating class, but I'm probably going to learn to figure skate anyway.

Anyway I'd say that from hockey training, and experience, there is an emphasis on lots of quick turns, stability (which is different from balance I'll explain), and explosive speed. Consider this, the puck is a tiny, fast, and hard to see so you you basically have to be agile enough to keep up with it, and plow through any guy that gets in your way in the process.

That's also the reason why there's a difference between balance and stability. The blade of a hockey skate is a big curve, so much less of it touches the ice than you'd think. It doesn't get in your way, but it gives you more room too maneuver. It is harder to balance on, but hockey players in general have a low wide stance, so that's seldom an issure. It's also the reason why a lot of your hockey freinds don't pay attention to posture.

As for not holding out their arms. I don't want to be mean, but that's more b/c we don't want to feel embarressed. I almost never hold out my arms, and I'm the more liberal minded person. I guess there are some inhibitions that are more than physical.

twinkle
11-20-2004, 04:09 AM
As for not holding out their arms. I don't want to be mean, but that's more b/c we don't want to feel embarressed. I almost never hold out my arms, and I'm the more liberal minded person. I guess there are some inhibitions that are more than physical.

I would say to this what my coach used to say to me when I was learning arms in a new program, you'll look even more silly if you don't try them than if you just have a go. No one will laugh at you for holding your arms out straight, you will look like a better skater.

Skatingsarah
11-20-2004, 06:16 PM
hey. I'm not skatingsarah...i am a friend of hers, she actually lives with me...and so when i saw this open, i had to reply. My name is Michael Elias, a 17 year old competitive figure skater, and hockey player from Ottawa. I have been skating since i was 6, and playing hockey since i was 7. It's amazing the difference between blades, but I've gotten used to the change over the years. I am currently a competitive singles skater, competing in junior, and also playing hockey at the Midget level, i love both sports, and wouldnt trade one for the other. Each sport has its ups and downs, and the major problem with figure skating is dealing with stress and frustration; in hockey, you can go out and plow somebody over, whereas, in skating...what do you do? you bottle it up, and it eats away at you until you crack, and then you have to start all over at trying to bottle it up. In my hockey skates i can do a single axel, a double-toe, believe it or not...(i just jammed my whole front part of my blade down on the ice and jumped it) and I once did a double salchow. Spinning is the hard part because there really is nowhere on the blade to warn you if your going too far forwards or backwards...but it can be done with some difficulty...As for the whole arms flailing and hockey players having no sense of form....have you ever seen a graceful hockey player? is hockey a graceful sport...no...not at all, its not meant to be skated gracefully, although some of the drills and plays that work like a well oiled machine can look quite graceful, individual skaters are not required to be graceful. I have always been against what figure skaters would say about hockey players, and what hockey players would say about figure skaters. Figure skaters seem to think that hockey is an easy sport...try it, i guarantee you its harder than it looks. Hockey players always say that figure skaters are gay...well...i know a lot of figure skaters...some are gay, and some arent...some hockey players are gay, and some arent... the difference: figure skaters are more open about it. I am living proof that figure skaters are not all gay...and i personally know more straight figure skaters than gay ones. Figure skating is extremely difficult...think about it: your jumping up into the air and spinning 3 and 4 times in the air, and landing with 7-10 times your body weight on an 1/8th of an inch steel blade on a slick surface like ice....that takes guts. In hockey, if you want to talk about guts think about you racing head-first as fast as you can go, into the corner of the boards with a guy weighing 200lbs or more...thats scary, bone-crushing power, and shit happens fast, and you have to be prepared for the consequences. So all in all, both sports are tough, and worthy of being called a true sport...if you have any doubts, try them both, and come talk to me when you can do both sports at a highly competitive level! Goodluck boys and girls! -Michael

sue123
11-20-2004, 07:15 PM
skatingsarah, or michael i think actually articulated quite well. i've tried all 3 major skating disciplines at one point or another (hockey, speed skating, and figures). they're all difficult in their own way. to be honest, i never thought of one being like the other. they're all a lot of fun, and isn't that what it's all about?

although this isnt about speed skating, i know they get a lot of beef, saying it's not difficult. granted, at the lower levels, you can get away with bad form and just skate, but at higher levels, you need that aerodynamic bend to make you go faster. and it's really scary to see everything as a blur, and crossovers at that speed, the number of scary falls i've seen and experienced in the corners.

slusher
11-21-2004, 10:21 AM
Like Michael, my son plays hockey and continues to figure skate. He won't give up one for the other, although if he gave up figure skating he'd probably play rep hockey he's good enough, he just doesn't have time for both and he's not quite good enough in figure skating to go competitive so we're on the gold dance/future coach/dance partner track. He can do a toe loop in hockey skates, yes, just jam that toe in, and he can also spin. In hockey he plays defense, because he's the best skater especially skating backwards. There are boys playing hockey who'd make great figure skaters, but they don't have the mental-ness of being able to internalize a finicky sport, the solitary discipline is not there. They thrive in the team atmosphere. They certainly have the skill for it though. I know quite a few Jr A and NHL hockey players who take stroking lessons in hockey skates from figure skating coaches during the summer because every step and push has to be powerful and to get everything out of the blade.

I find that hockey skates are canted more, that they put you on your toes/ball of foot automatically, figure skates, with just the little bit of rocker make you stand differently. If you stand like a figure skater in hockey skates, you're on your a$$.

Shinn-Reika
11-22-2004, 12:48 AM
I definately agree with what you say mike and sue.

*I have never tried speed skating, but I can agree with the falls. I recently took a spill of after leaning to far on a sharp high-speed turn (skater's worst nightmare) and plowed into the boards. Luckily I managed to hit the wall with my feet and use my body to extyend the length of the impact, but I still caused my neck to whip back and hit the boards really hard. I almost snapped my nech, or I could have gotten a concussion. Very scary stuff.

isk84kalan
11-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Im my opinion, anyone can figure skate if they put their mind to it and practice hard. I know, we all sometimes hate it. But then, you surprise yourself by all of a sudden getting full rotation on your Lutz!! (Sorry, that happened to me!) So, anyone can do it!! :D

love2sk8
11-23-2004, 07:13 PM
I'm very much a competitive figure skater, however...sometimes just to make things fun, skating in hockey skates is interesting...The blades are different for sure, and the lack of a toe pick can sometimes be frustrating:P I can do an axel, double sal and double loop in them though!

CanuckSk8r
11-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Michael, fantastically put. :bow:

Aussie Willy
11-25-2004, 04:27 AM
Interesting thread.

Hey good skating is good skating. I like and admire anyone who can skate well, whether it be on on hockey, speed or figure skates. And particularly when you can change from one to the other easily then I am envious!! :bow:

Also remember skaters like Todd Eldredge and Kurt Browning did figure skating to help their hockey skating or vice versa.

Figuresk8_katie
11-25-2004, 03:54 PM
I'm a figure skater myself, but last year I was asked to join the girls highschool hockey team because of my skating skills. I agreed because my brother had some old equipment for me to use and I just bought a cheap pair of hockey skates. I'd only skated on hockey skates once before. I think once you've gotten used to the edges on blades, the transition from hockey to figure skates or vice versa isn't very difficult.

Last New Years, I was fooling around at an outdoor rink in my hockey skates (my coach doesn't allow us using our figure skates outdoors, and rightfully so) anyway, I actually landed an axle!! in hockey skates!! I was rather impressed. :lol:

But definitely, hockey players can make the transition in skates...as for posture and style...that's another story.

Talk to you all later :D

Kristin
11-30-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm not surprised that a hockey skater can catch on to a lot of the basic figure skating skills. Something similar happened to me when I first started figure skating (I had spent 2 yrs of self-taught public skating & intramural hockey, all on hockey skates). Hockey skates are extremely maneuverable. Good hockey skaters have learned to "react" rather than think about what they are doing and they are constantly leaning hard on edges (great for ice dance training!). I guess chasing a puck makes you do that!

I started figure skating in my last year of college (took a 1 hour credit athletic class). I had never had figure skates, only hockey. Within 3 weeks of taking the classes (and doing a number of the basic skills very easily & advancing quickly thru the basic 8's), the teacher took me aside and told me I looked "too graceful" to be on hockey skates and that she would like to see me try figure skating. Since my hockey skates were broken down, I decided to buy a pair and finished the class off in the figure skates. It took me another 3 yrs before I started formal figure skating lessons, but I think to myself that if that coach had never made the suggestion for me to figure skate, I might never have tried it!

Kristin

nja
12-01-2004, 01:20 PM
I know that a lot of hockey players can do freestyle in hockey skates, and I have heard of some people doing jumps and axels in them. What about spins? Also, from what I can tell, most people who can freestyle in hockey skates learned freestyle first in figure skates. I'm curious because there is a skater who wears hockey skates for freestyle at one of the rinks I skate at. He has been taking lessons from the skating director and at first I thought she was just helping him with some stroking-type exercises. Lately, however, she has had him in the harness trying to do axels. Yes, in the hockey skates. No sign of a loop jump or back scratch spin, but I have seen him do waltz jumps, landing flat on the blade, I assume because he has no toepick. This is a boy who is somewhere around the age of 10 or 11, I think. I'm just curious as to what his chances of successfully landing this jump are.

Spreadeagle
12-01-2004, 03:01 PM
It seems like it would be extremely difficult to do spins in hockey skates! 8O There's no toepick to anchor you!

I saw an ice show last year in which a senior level mens figure skater did a program in hockey skates. I think it was mostly footwork (really difficult footwork!) but there might have been some jumps in there too. It was amazing!

sk8er1964
12-01-2004, 08:16 PM
It seems like it would be extremely difficult to do spins in hockey skates! 8O

At practice tonight, my son was messing around a bit before the drills started, and he was doing something that looked very much like twizzles. 8O

(Note to self - get that child on figure skates and somehow try to lure him from the dark side. :lol: Won't happen :cry: )