View Full Version : why is a backspin easier?

sue123
11-18-2004, 08:02 AM
for some reason, i find it much easier to do a backspin, than a regular foward spin. i don't know why. when i do backspins, they stay more centered, they're tighter, faster, and i get more revolutions. my foward spins on the other hand, they're all over the place with the travelling, they're a lot slower, and i can't get as many revolutions. i don't exactly know why that is though. anyone else the same way? or am i just an oddball?

backspin
11-18-2004, 09:08 AM
or am i just an oddball?

yes, you are. ;)

IceAngel725
11-18-2004, 09:42 AM
I found backspins 100x easier to learn than forward spins... i have no idea why either... i guess its just one of those things!

Mel On Ice
11-18-2004, 09:53 AM
I think Leslie finds backspins easier too. I find choctaws easier than 3 turns.

Mrs Redboots
11-18-2004, 10:28 AM
I haven't quite mastered a backspin yet, but I think I'm going to find them easier than forward spins, too! I once did one by mistake (I can never remember which foot I spin on, or which direction I spin in, and spun the wrong way on the wrong foot, if that makes sense!) but haven't been able to repeat it.

And I find Mohawks far easier than 3-turns to do at speed, although technically my 3-turns are better than my Mohawks.

Terri C
11-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Count me in as one who finds the backspin easier! Maybe it's because I practiced it over and over to get the position for loop jump!

skaternum
11-18-2004, 10:53 AM
I found the backspin much harder to learn, but now that I've "got" it, I find the backspin much easier to perfect. (And I don't mean to say that my backspin is perfected. I mean that it's easier to take an okay backspin and make it go faster and tighter without losing my center. The forward spin starts going wonky on me if I try to pull in tighter and increase the speed.

My first coach predicted this. He said that it takes forever to learn a backspin, but once you get it, it becomes incredibly stable and easy. He was right.

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-18-2004, 08:45 PM
for some reason, i find it much easier to do a backspin, than a regular foward spin. i don't know why. when i do backspins, they stay more centered, they're tighter, faster, and i get more revolutions. my foward spins on the other hand, they're all over the place with the travelling, they're a lot slower, and i can't get as many revolutions. i don't exactly know why that is though. anyone else the same way? or am i just an oddball?

lol yea, did you know in the new jujing system that a back spin it worth more than an axle! lol my friend just told me that!

Aussie Willy
11-19-2004, 05:43 AM
Can I ask how you are learning to do them - from an inside edge or from a stand still and just pushing into the spin on the back outside edge?

I think (and this is only my opinion) is when you are doing a forward spin you tend to push into a three turn and it will hook around a couple of times before you can get it centred. I think it is easier to get the centre happening straight away with the backspin.

Having said that - I agree you are an oddball. It took me ages to get a backspin, but I can say mine is not too bad. But then I had a coach who could not teach a backspin properly which caused problems with learning it (going around on the forward inside edge instead of the back outside). It was only when I went to a coach who showed me how to do it properly that I managed to get it.

fadedstardust
11-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Because in order to even DO a backspin, you absolutely have to pull in straight or you'll fall out of it. I think the backspin, in order to be achieved in any way at all, leaves very little room for error, so once you are in it it's easier to have it fast and centered. The forward spin, you could go into it sideways that you'd still be able to get a spin out of it, so it's much harder to center and tighten.

jazzpants
11-19-2004, 11:41 AM
*sigh* if only my backspin was easier than my forward spins (not that my forward spins are any better but...) :P

Michigansk8er
11-21-2004, 10:11 AM
I think Leslie finds backspins easier too. I find choctaws easier than 3 turns.

Definitely easier. I LOVE the feel of backspins!!!!! :D

KatieC
11-22-2004, 02:42 PM
I can't do a backspin to save my life - they scare me to death and make my stomach all queasy. Forward spins - I adore them, any variation at all. I will spin clockwise and counter-clockwise, but not backspin. (Of course, it didn't help for me to fall flat on my back and bump my head in one either.)

isk84kalan
11-22-2004, 04:47 PM
^^^^ I AGREE!!! I can't do a backspin either. Last year though, I could do ANYTHING if I wanted to, but this year, I'm actually LANDING things!!! Backspin...I hate it. I don't HATE IT hate it. Like, I just can't go around for 3 revolutions and still have enough speed to exit. :?? But, I give up very easily so...that explains that. :P Anyways, I don't think it depends on if you're a righty or a lefty does it? Because this girl in my club, she is a lefty and PEREFCTED the backspin. :evil: Grrr.... :cry: I wanna learn!!

doubletoe
11-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Yes, you are a little unusual, but you are also very lucky! Backspins are the basis for all multi-rotational jumps, so you have a head start!

On your forward spin, you are probably not stopping your forward momentum before starting your spin. You have to reach the end of your entrance edge, then consciously stick to one spot to do the turn that starts your spin. Focus on that the next time you do forward spins! (Try it from a T-stop position first, then try it from the usual entrances).

Figuresk8_katie
11-25-2004, 04:06 PM
I'm the same!!! I find backspins FAR more easy AND more fun than once foot uprights!! We'll be "oddballs" together! Good luck skating!!

sue123
11-25-2004, 05:38 PM
i'm not sure why my foward spins don't work, in theory, i'm doing everything correctly. although if i start from a standstill into a foward spin, it stays more centered. teh backspin, i can do the entrance into it, no problem. oh well, i guess if we were meant to be good at everythng, there would be nothing to work on, right?

doubletoe
11-27-2004, 05:20 PM
i'm not sure why my foward spins don't work, in theory, i'm doing everything correctly. although if i start from a standstill into a foward spin, it stays more centered. teh backspin, i can do the entrance into it, no problem. oh well, i guess if we were meant to be good at everythng, there would be nothing to work on, right?

Yeah, it sounds like you are not stopping your forward momentum as well when you do a forward spin entrance, but I think that's pretty common (I do the same thing!). It helps to focus on making the entrance edge rounder, riding it until it comes all the way to the end of the edge, and then sticking to that spot as you start your spin.

Candy_dances
11-27-2004, 05:55 PM
I find the backspin and forwards spin equal...although my backspin is a way better spin. That's probably because I have spent hours and hours getting correct so I have the right air position for my jumps. I think that its awesome that your backspin is better because that will help ypou with your jumps so much more and besides, if you do a combination spin with a change of foot....the judges are going to remember your last spin position and exit more than they will remember anything else. So kudos to you!

Tessie
11-27-2004, 06:40 PM
I'm the same!!! I find backspins FAR more easy AND more fun than once foot uprights!! We'll be "oddballs" together! Good luck skating!!

The three times I have been able to get a back spin, I do find it more satisfying than my forward spin. I also find back threes (in and out) easier than the back spin, and easier than forward inside threes. Am I odder than most?